5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rattle Driving Me Nuts!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 07:07 AM

Rattle Driving Me Nuts!!!!

Hey guys, I posted on here not too long ago that I was going in for service just before my warranty expires. I went in and they did some of the things i asked. They also never fixed my drivers side window (which I then had a friend look at and he had to replace the track the window was sitting on), as for the radio, I was told nothing was wrong (which, just last night I had to press the damn power button 6 times before it shut off) and they also said that the rattle I complained about on the passenger side dash was due to my manual being in the glove box. So, when I got the car back I took it for a drive without the manual and low and behold I hit a pothole and a speedbump and the SOB STILL RATTLES!!! So, when the service manager calls to tell me to give them all excellents on the survey I explain these issues. I got an apology for the window and was told to return for the rattle. I went in yesterday and explain that when I hit a bump or rough road I get a rattle and they said they'd look into it. This time I left my manual at home (so they don't blame the book) and they tell me nothing is wrong with the car (with a sarcastic tone I might add). I don't know what to do anymore. This is the second time I went in for this problem and I keep getting told nothing is wrong. I don't know if I'm going crazy or if they just won't fix it. Same goes for the damn stereo **** as well- it works for a while and then seems possed because it won't shut off. I don't know if going to another dealership would be halpful- but how do I get proof to show them. Thanks in advance for any help.
Vinny
Old 11-06-2003, 07:21 AM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

I have something similar. My switches on the drivers window "shake" and make a rattling noise. I would remove the glove box and have someone drive the car while you sit over there and try to figure it out. If it goes away then I would suspect the glove box.
Old 11-06-2003, 07:41 AM

Could be the a pillar cover vibrating against the dash. Pull it out and use some basic foam tape to shim it in place. Worked on our car
Old 11-06-2003, 07:50 AM

There is a TSB out for glove compartment rattle, isn't there?
Old 11-06-2003, 10:06 AM
350 Detroit Muscle

Tsb???????????????????
Old 11-06-2003, 11:25 AM

I have the same problem and I can never tell what it is. Drives me nuts unless I crank up the stereo
Old 11-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Hey guys, thanks for the info. I knew about the TSB, and I explained it to them, but they took it for a test drive and said nothing is rattling. I think I'm going to take SgtSchulze comment and pinpoint where its happening. Then I'll take HerBlue2kSE advice and either use foam tape tape or those rubber buttons that u find on drawers to shim the area. It's just annoying that I have to do iut after I brought it in for them to do it (it still is under warranty). I just don't have the time to keep going back and getting looked at like I'm nuts. Cranking up the radio doesn't even help (still have stock speakers and with my luck I'll blow them out lol). It bugs me that they don't do the warranty work because it makes me wonder if they do any of the service work that I pay for. The only other option is to kidnap someone from the service dept. and drive around until it rattles, jk. Anyways, thanks for the advice and I'll keep ya posted on anything that happens.
Vinny
Old 11-06-2003, 11:58 AM

Vin,
If you have a sunroof it may be comming from there. I had this issue with mine and wasn't able to locate it for like 7 months or so. If you do have a sunroof and you want to test it out, apply pressure by the sunroof controls / lights, and the noise should stop. As for all the other noises, I pulled the entire car apart and padded all the possible creaking areas.
Old 11-06-2003, 10:19 PM

My maxima has been rattling on the passenger side also! Actually its more like a buzzing over any kind of bump that hits the front passenger tire. Im preety sure mine is from the pillar rubbing against the dash, but it is soo annoying! I feel ur pain...
Old 11-07-2003, 04:13 AM

Originally Posted by HerBlue2kSE
Could be the a pillar cover vibrating against the dash. Pull it out and use some basic foam tape to shim it in place. Worked on our car
I've got a mild sqeeking from the pillar cover /dash interface.
How do you remove the pillar cover? I'm afraid if I pull too hard the wrong way i'll snap something.
Old 11-07-2003, 04:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check the light fixture in the bottom corner of the door......
Old 11-07-2003, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2nyc
Vin,
If you have a sunroof it may be comming from there. I had this issue with mine and wasn't able to locate it for like 7 months or so. If you do have a sunroof and you want to test it out, apply pressure by the sunroof controls / lights, and the noise should stop. As for all the other noises, I pulled the entire car apart and padded all the possible creaking areas.
Hi George, thanks for the info- I tried it last night and its not that . I'm going to take DonVince's advice and check the light. But, I think its the dash shaking and hitting the pillar/or passenger side door panel area (where the two meet). I'm going to have a friend drive me around over the weekend so I can listen to the passenger side (if the door light doesn't seem to be the problem). Thanks for all the help and support guys .
Vinny
Old 11-07-2003, 03:38 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Fortunately, nothing in my Max rattles yet, but its interesting reading VMax's post cause the underlying theme here is that Nissan service sucks. I know there have been many threads and complaints on Nissan service, but I'm amazed that the service manager called you to tell you to give them all excellents on the survey. I know when i bought my Max, the sales person told me the same thing. But since i did have a great sales experience, I did what he asked.

I think customers need to start letting Nissan Corp know their experience w/ the service depts whether through a survey or by phone. And if you get bad service from a Nissan dealer, you should try to find another one. The only way they'll learn is to stop giving them your money.

Btw...I wonder if they would have found the rattle if your car wasn't under warranty anymore.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Cdriven
Fortunately, nothing in my Max rattles yet, but its interesting reading VMax's post cause the underlying theme here is that Nissan service sucks. I know there have been many threads and complaints on Nissan service, but I'm amazed that the service manager called you to tell you to give them all excellents on the survey. I know when i bought my Max, the sales person told me the same thing. But since i did have a great sales experience, I did what he asked.

I think customers need to start letting Nissan Corp know their experience w/ the service depts whether through a survey or by phone. And if you get bad service from a Nissan dealer, you should try to find another one. The only way they'll learn is to stop giving them your money.

Btw...I wonder if they would have found the rattle if your car wasn't under warranty anymore.
Thanks for the input. I feel the same way and I will explain it to Nissan Corp. in some way shape or form. I do wonder myself if they'll find the rattle once the warranty is up- after I write a letter to Nissan with the documentation that I have had this rattle checked, I'll go back and see if they find it after the warranty expires and charge me for it- then I'll send it all in to Nissan Corp and ask them what the heck their dealers are doing. Anyways, up to this point I have had very positive experiences with this dealership. They even changed my ignition coils under warranty and I was never questioned before- things were just fixed without any hassle. Now I get this one service guy and he looks at me like I have 10 heads when I tell him I'm in there to fix a rattle. And I just didn't like how he smuggly said "There is NOTHING wrong with your car sir".. nothing wrong??.. "YES sir, there is NOTHING wrong with your car". But this time around I will not give them any excellencts- they'll be lucky to get a GOOD let alone an OK. BTW, does anyone know if I can email Nissan USA's Corporate office and what that email would be. Thanks again everyone for all the help.

Vinny
Old 11-07-2003, 10:38 PM

Here is what I did with mine

A-pillar rattles: Just stick something soft/foaming (cotton cloth works wonders) in the gap between the Trim and Dash. That fixed that A-pillar rattle.

Dashboard rattle near glovebox: You need to open up the glovebox and remove it to get BEHIND the glove box. There, you will see a series and groups and wires connected to the inner top portion of the dash by plastic plugs. These plugs sometimes come loose and you must put them back into place. Also, the wires can sometimes hit each other, which is the reason for the foam wrapping around some of the wires. You can wrap foam around the rest of the wires to reduce the chances of hitting each other.

Center stack rattle: This is comming from multiple sources. One of the sources is the HU itself. Remove the HU and get some insulation tape to wrap the edges on the back side all the HU. Do the same for the center air vents. That should solve that problem.

Center console rattle: It came from the Upper center console storage compartment (Two levels of storage compartments) This is the small one where your cell phone ect.. is suppost to go. Just go ahead and stick some cloth in there if you don't use it for anything and that will solve any rattles from the arm rest area.

My car (2k) still felt like a new car because it was rattle proof. Argg at the girl who ran a stop light....

Don't be scared to tare apart your car alittle and do the job yourself. You can't really make a mistake so long as you remember how to reassemble what you took apart.
Old 11-09-2003, 09:04 PM

Hey guys, I went for a drive and I figured out it was the glove box door shaking. I went to Home Depot and picked up some felt "buttons" (the thingy's you out under furniture so it don't scratch your floor) for $1.99. And with that little bit of pressure the rattle is gone . I mean, I could have done this from the start- but I was trying to make a point. Just guess it was a lost cause though being that I was dealing with a bunch of ignorant morans (and I don't mean that of all Nissan service, just the ones I have been having problems with). I mean, if I wanted all these problems I would have kept my 2k Eclipse- but thats a whole 'nother complaint. Anyways, thanks again everyone for all the help and in-depth info on fixing my rattle. Now I just got to figure a way to let my service department know they lost a customer and to let Nissan know that they should look into their service departments. Thanks again.

Vinny