5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Black box in 2k Max?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2003, 08:17 PM
retired moderator

Black box in 2k Max?

Was just watching this thing on the news about some guy busted in an accident because they read his "crash box" like the black box in an airliner...guess it can tell the cops how fast you were going and all that.....I don't generally drive superfast unless I'm on some country roads (alot of cops areound here), but not sure I like the idea of big brother watching how I drive...anyhow, are these things fitted on the 2K Max? And if so, is it legal to disconnect that bull****?
Old 11-07-2003, 08:28 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by irish44j
Was just watching this thing on the news about some guy busted in an accident because they read his "crash box" like the black box in an airliner...guess it can tell the cops how fast you were going and all that.....I don't generally drive superfast unless I'm on some country roads (alot of cops areound here), but not sure I like the idea of big brother watching how I drive...anyhow, are these things fitted on the 2K Max? And if so, is it legal to disconnect that bull****?
If I'm not mistaken, I heard Nissan has been using these since 98, I'm not sure as to what the thing looks like, nor whether you can disconnect it.
Old 11-08-2003, 01:14 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
I agree with you... this is A BULL****!!! if my car has it... i will break it!!!
Old 11-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Not positive, but last winter a kid drove his max off the road into the niagara river. There was a huge investigation as to the reason, drugs, alcohol, stupidity or street racing. He was going 94 mph showing off to his friend who got out of the car and left the sceen. Now that you know the story... I am pretty sure it "pins" the spedo needle, or records speed only when air bags deploy! This is most likely done to protect nissan from lawsuits.

The end
Old 11-08-2003, 06:47 AM

I think Nissan was simply the first to admit to doing this, however GM has not been far behind and I think they added the same "feature" to their vehicles in 99.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:18 AM

I've heard that insurance companies can also use this information in a dispute...

G
Old 11-08-2003, 07:28 AM

I'm not 100% against these things. Granted I'm not too crazy about a "big brother-like" device in the car. But at the same time, after a crash, I'm sure there is an assumption by whomever is investigating the accident that the driver of the car with "dark tint and big muffler" is the guilty party. So this thing may actually aid us as well.
Old 11-08-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by -Red-
I'm not 100% against these things. Granted I'm not too crazy about a "big brother-like" device in the car. But at the same time, after a crash, I'm sure there is an assumption by whomever is investigating the accident that the driver of the car with "dark tint and big muffler" is the guilty party. So this thing may actually aid us as well.
But uhm, err.... the guy with "dark tint and big muffler" ALWAYS is the culprit... right?...

I agree with you... there has to be some kind of accountability, when you're dealing with people's lives, and false insurance claims.

G
Old 11-08-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
But uhm, err.... the guy with "dark tint and big muffler" ALWAYS is the culprit... right?...

I agree with you... there has to be some kind of accountability, when you're dealing with people's lives, and false insurance claims.

G
Yeah, you have no idea how many times I have been cut off by idiots driving county vehicles, power company trucks and even school buses. And I'm willing to bet that in an event of an accident the drivers of those vehicles would be considered by the cop to be more credible then say someone who drives a modded Maxima, so anything that can help shed light on what really happened may not be a bad thing. Also, I noticed from having an aftermarket exhaust that some people tend to mistake loud for fast, so even if there are witnesses to an accident, I wouldn't rely on them to give a fair account of what actually happened.
Old 11-08-2003, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by -Red-
Yeah, you have no idea how many times I have been cut off by idiots driving county vehicles, power company trucks and even school buses. And I'm willing to bet that in an event of an accident the drivers of those vehicles would be considered by the cop to be more credible then say someone who drives a modded Maxima, so anything that can help shed light on what really happened may not be a bad thing. Also, I noticed from having an aftermarket exhaust that some people tend to mistake loud for fast, so even if there are witnesses to an accident, I wouldn't rely on them to give a fair account of what actually happened.
I agree. As much as I don't like "big brother" I think that this kind of stuff could help you in the event of an accident. Cause a lot of people lie when they're at fault.
Old 11-08-2003, 10:53 AM

Now. Maybe you like it but i don't. How can i ger rid of it. And also can they see how many miles on my car, in case i move the milage back?
Old 11-08-2003, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Neeferea
Now. Maybe you like it but i don't. How can i ger rid of it. And also can they see how many miles on my car, in case i move the milage back?
I wouldn't mind having it on a switch Normal driving, it would stay on. For everything else, I'd just flip the switch.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:00 PM

Absolutely they can...

And why would you want to do something illegal like that and SCREW the next potential .org member?...

I hear HELL is not a very friendly place...

G
Old 11-08-2003, 11:19 PM

Old 11-08-2003, 11:52 PM

Originally Posted by Maxima-2
Not positive, but last winter a kid drove his max off the road into the niagara river. There was a huge investigation as to the reason, drugs, alcohol, stupidity or street racing. He was going 94 mph showing off to his friend who got out of the car and left the sceen. Now that you know the story... I am pretty sure it "pins" the spedo needle, or records speed only when air bags deploy! This is most likely done to protect nissan from lawsuits.

The end
Did that kid live?
Old 11-09-2003, 12:31 AM

Mileage back???

buuuuuuoooooo, you suck! move the milage back??? WTF is that. Why u going to screw someone over like that? I got screwed like that a while back when I bought a 94 Z28 and found out about carfax months laters so it was too late. Its people like you that give this forum a bad name. I hope you rot in hell you bastard!
Old 11-09-2003, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by pablosal
buuuuuuoooooo, you suck! move the milage back??? WTF is that. Why u going to screw someone over like that? I got screwed like that a while back when I bought a 94 Z28 and found out about carfax months laters so it was too late. Its people like you that give this forum a bad name. I hope you rot in hell you bastard!
Hey hey, i did not say i am gonna do it. I just wanted to know what kind of information it has about us. + What I was thinking about is to get rid of my lease with extra miles on it, drowning it in the water.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:43 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Hey hey, i did not say i am gonna do it. I just wanted to know what kind of information it has about us. + What I was thinking about is to get rid of my lease with extra miles on it, drowning it in the water.
A. It's a digitial odometer. Good luck rolling it back.
B. Just because you want to "drown" your extra miles doesn't change the fact that it is illegal and a horrible thing to do you douchebag.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:46 AM

The air lines, their insurance writers and law enforcement want to know everything they can about an air line accident. Why would we think that the auto manufacturers and auto insurance companies wouldn't want to know the same? The technology has been their for a long time. Now they are using it. I commend them for that. Just my two cents.

Pedro
Old 11-09-2003, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by asu174
B. Just because you want to "drown" your extra miles doesn't make it illegal and a horrible thing to do you douchebag.
You mean it IS illegal, and it IS a horrible thing to do, correct?... Last time I checked committing fraud is still a crime.

I've seen friends commit insurance fraud and then get screwed. One guy got rid of a car with high mileage and payments, to get some $$$$$$$ and buy a new car... only to get into a serious accident in the new car. Now it's hard for him to enjoy the payoff of his crime in a hospital bed. Another person got caught after a fraudulent claim. He is a$$ is now being dragged to court.

G
Old 11-09-2003, 09:42 AM

nice friends
...hanfg with the better crowd, didnt your mom tell you this!?
Old 11-09-2003, 09:46 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
nice friends
...hanfg with the better crowd, didnt your mom tell you this!?
Actually relatives/friends of my friends... I don't hang out with these clowns!!!

Cause I can always depend on my momma...

G
Old 11-09-2003, 01:22 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally Posted by 02MaXiMa_GLE
You mean it IS illegal, and it IS a horrible thing to do, correct?... Last time I checked committing fraud is still a crime.
Type-o.....It has been corrected.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:22 PM

i believe Cali just passed a law that says law enforcement CANNOT check you car's "black box" WITHOUT the owners permission.

in other states, however, police can check your black box (if your car is equiped with one, of course) with or without your permission.

it's a double-edge sword. yes, the police can you this info to get a better idea of what exactly caused the crash. on the other hand, if could be quite incriminating if you were speeding, etc.
Old 11-09-2003, 02:23 PM

i'm not for sure either way whether or not our 2k Maximas have them.