5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

PT1011 Muffler installed...

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Very sound, Mike

PT1011 Muffler installed...

... and i had the shop take it off less an hour after.

The drone between 2-3k rpm, especially around 2-2.5k is just too much for me. Whether i open the windows or not.

Below 2k and above 3k the drone is gone, otherwise it's just obnoxious and on my test drive with it on, it seems i had more people wanting to "race" me from stoplight to stoplight.

I was going to do a before/after video and sound clip comparison but it was too annoying to have on there for much longer. The video clips on a fellow .orger's exhaust comparison site cannot even start to describe how it actually sounds in real-life.

From a stop it's loud, while cruising in city streets it's barely noticeable. Punching it is loud until i get past 3k and cruising on the highway at 70mph and so it's loud.

How loud? Definitely not +/-30% louder as Powertech claims, it's *much* louder than that.

To the PT1011's credit however, it does look good and perhaps it's better for those with manual's as they can regulate their rpm's more precisely - but on an auto...

I know a lot of other members have it and love it, but personally i think there's too much of a drone to the point of being obnoxious for a family sedan.

P.S. It was a used Powertech so i didn't feel like i should have let it go through a break-in period.
Old 11-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Mike, was the rest of the exhaust system stock?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:01 PM

I have it and it sounded fine, not too loud...are you sure you didn't have an exhaust leak???
Old 11-08-2003, 03:01 PM
Very sound, Mike

Yep, bone stock. The only mods i have right now (which is unrelated) is an RSB/FSTB.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:02 PM
Very sound, Mike

We checked, there were no leaks and all the welds were fine.

The sound is probably good for you 6spd owners since you can easily regulate your rpms, but to me the drone resonated into the cabin in that specific rpm range. Otherwise you can barely hear it.

I guess i underestimated the sound of the muffler, i was hoping for something slightly more than stock but not too much that it actually gets noticed.
Old 11-08-2003, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by soundmike

The sound is probably good for you 6spd owners since you can easily regulate your rpms, but to me the drone resonated into the cabin in that specific rpm range. Otherwise you can barely hear it.

I guess i underestimated the sound of the muffler, i was hoping for something slightly more than stock but not too much that it actually gets noticed.
The thing is, I had it ALSO on my AUTO...and the drone was not that loud. It was very comfortable.

I still think maybe you had a problem...
Old 11-08-2003, 03:09 PM
LithiuMax

Sorry to hear that it was too loud.. I love my PT1012. It does drone, but I don't mind it, considering that I think it makes the car sound meaner, and that I usually have the stereo on. Maybe the fact that I had a '91 Explorer makes it less noticeable...

Old 11-08-2003, 03:16 PM
Very sound, Mike

Originally Posted by Igor911
The thing is, I had it ALSO on my AUTO...and the drone was not that loud. It was very comfortable.

I still think maybe you had a problem...
I guess it's subjective as far as what sounds good goes. There didn't seem to be any problems with the muffler nor the installation - now i regret not taking sound clips so you guys could listen to it as well
Old 11-08-2003, 03:20 PM

How could it be too loud when the rest of the exhuast is stock?
Old 11-08-2003, 03:35 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Its not a quiet muffler. I have heard louder, but there are many that are quieter. I know the muffler on the Cattman is really quiet. I have the b pipe w/o resonator hooked up to the Powertech and it is a bit loud. I dont mind because i had 2 V8's that were a heck of a lot louder than this....
Old 11-08-2003, 05:39 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

when I had my PT muffler put on, I swore to my friends that I was gonna take it off soon.
now i just got used to it....I don't really notice it anymore...since I'm always listening to music.
and yes it drones around that 500rpm range.
Old 11-08-2003, 05:48 PM
Very sound, Mike

Thanks for the responses guys. I dunno, i was sorta scared posting my experience with it. I was honestly expecting at least a "you're too old" remark

In any case, if i listened to the radio a lot more i guess i could have lived with it. But i'm in Houston with all this Clearchannel crap.
Old 11-09-2003, 01:09 AM

Your too old. I understand what you are talking about. There is some drone in that range. It always seems louder to me when the wife is in the car also. Gives he something to complain about. To me, the added looks and sound in the non 2200-2600RPM range was worth it.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:45 AM

Thanks for the responses guys. I dunno, i was sorta scared posting my experience with it. I was honestly expecting at least a "you're too old" remark

In any case, if i listened to the radio a lot more i guess i could have lived with it. But i'm in Houston with all this Clearchannel crap.
Same thing happened to me with the Flowmaster. It was so loud it made my brain bleed. My situation was due to the Greddy Evo catback I have. I replaced it with a free flowing Walker muffler. Quiet yet Powerful
Old 11-09-2003, 06:18 AM
Very sound, Mike

I did like how the thing sounded outside of that rpm range where it droned. Is there any way i could do something to get rid of the drone, short of getting a completely different muffler?

How about if i just replace the resonator with a straight-pipe, how would that sound? drone?
Old 11-09-2003, 07:26 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

I did like how the thing sounded outside of that rpm range where it droned. Is there any way i could do something to get rid of the drone, short of getting a completely different muffler?

How about if i just replace the resonator with a straight-pipe, how would that sound? drone?
I believe getting rid of the resonator would make it even louder and prolly raspy. Not sure if it would still drone, tho.
Old 11-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Very sound, Mike

So you're saying,

Stock Muffer + Straight pipe would be louder than the Powertech + Resonator?

I guess there's only one way to find out.

Darn, this thing is costing me some serious dough
Old 11-09-2003, 07:37 AM
Doctorate in Detailing

So you're saying,

Sorry, I thought you were talking about the straight pipe with the Powertech. Not sure what it would be like with the straight pipe and stock muffler.....
Old 11-09-2003, 09:47 AM

So you're saying,

There is a soundclip in my site that has a Warpspeed B Pipe with no resonator and the stock muffler.

http://www.xpert-networking.com/muff...ps/muffler.htm