5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Race with AE

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2001, 08:14 PM
RBa

I was pulling into the 7-11 parkinglot that's near Franny Lew and I noticed another 5th Gen already sitting there. I didn't realize it at first b/c I was too preoccupied with my girlfriends nagging for some coffee. It wasn't until I got out of my car that I realized that It was the AE.
Well after filling up the cup of coffee, I saw two teenagers trying to buy beer. Apparently, one of them happened to be the owners of the AE. I guess they were under age since the guy wouldn't sell it to them.
After I left the lot, I noticed them following behind. I had a hunch that if I made a right to Franny Lew they would follow. I was right! I stopped at the next light which happened to have an empty lane next to me.
Well, there wasn't much for us to explain. We were reving the whole time until the light changed and we both floored it. I have to say I am disappointed at the AE because we were both head to head for a 1/2mile until the next red light. After stopping, we both rolled down our windows and started to chat. I was the 1st 5th gen he raced and he was disappointed with his car as well. We both thought the AE would be at least a little faster. I guess it's just all looks and no action.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:16 PM

5fwhp is nothing no surprise that it wasn't faster. The weight of the body kit probably makes up for it.
Old 02-21-2001, 08:36 PM
RussMaxManiac

Now I think it is just a 5 hp gimick basically. I bet it doesn't even show up on the dyno. But I will say, if he drove better, and knew how too, he could have killed u off the line with a 4-5k lanch, with LSD.

Originally posted by RBa
I was pulling into the 7-11 parkinglot that's near Franny Lew and I noticed another 5th Gen already sitting there. I didn't realize it at first b/c I was too preoccupied with my girlfriends nagging for some coffee. It wasn't until I got out of my car that I realized that It was the AE.
Well after filling up the cup of coffee, I saw two teenagers trying to buy beer. Apparently, one of them happened to be the owners of the AE. I guess they were under age since the guy wouldn't sell it to them.
After I left the lot, I noticed them following behind. I had a hunch that if I made a right to Franny Lew they would follow. I was right! I stopped at the next light which happened to have an empty lane next to me.
Well, there wasn't much for us to explain. We were reving the whole time until the light changed and we both floored it. I have to say I am disappointed at the AE because we were both head to head for a 1/2mile until the next red light. After stopping, we both rolled down our windows and started to chat. I was the 1st 5th gen he raced and he was disappointed with his car as well. We both thought the AE would be at least a little faster. I guess it's just all looks and no action.

Old 02-21-2001, 09:16 PM

Me Canadian ... me got not BODY KIT ... Does that mean I go faster with the 5 Ponies????

But Seriously ... 5 horses spread over the powerband is nothing ...

Originally posted by punkdork
5fwhp is nothing no surprise that it wasn't faster. The weight of the body kit probably makes up for it.
Old 02-21-2001, 09:39 PM

I'm hurt!

Does this mean your car is all looks, no action too? 'cuz the looks aren't much different...

(Not a flame, just a friendly jab. Please take it that way.)
Old 02-21-2001, 10:51 PM
RBa

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Russ2kSE
[I]Now I think it is just a 5 hp gimick basically. I bet it doesn't even show up on the dyno. But I will say, if he drove better, and knew how too, he could have killed u off the line with a 4-5k lanch, with LSD.

Since my intake gives about 5 extra hp, I guess that matches the AE. Yeah right!!!!!!
His was an auto like mine.
What's an LSD? LSD as in lysergic acid?

Old 02-21-2001, 11:34 PM

Re: I'm hurt!

Sine we BOTH got AUTO AE's ... so we're about even!

Originally posted by Adboy

Does this mean your car is all looks, no action too? 'cuz the looks aren't much different...

(Not a flame, just a friendly jab. Please take it that way.)
Old 02-22-2001, 06:48 AM

Originally posted by RBa
In case you're serious... LSD = Limited Slip Differential
Old 02-22-2001, 01:58 PM
RBa

Originally posted by RBa
<B>Then what's the difference with the TCS and LSD? My car has TCS and my sisters ride has a LSD, and I cant feel the difference between the 2. Someone please explain!! Thanks<B>
Old 02-22-2001, 02:03 PM

Traction control uses various methods to maintain traction... throttle cut, braking.. etc. LSD uses mechanical methods to send power to both wheels. Use the search, there was a good description of LSD not that long ago.
Old 02-22-2001, 02:20 PM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by RBa
Originally posted by RBa
<B>Then what's the difference with the TCS and LSD? My car has TCS and my sisters ride has a LSD, and I cant feel the difference between the 2. Someone please explain!! Thanks<B>
Basically Traction control, is used to cut the power if it senses loss of traction from one wheel. So its not better than LSD.

LSD is limited slip differential, it basically diveds the power between both front wheels, if one slips, it will transfer more power to the other. To keep them both moving instead of one spinning like mad. If u take a hard right turn with your wheel cranked all the way, and floor it in 1st, your cars inner tire on a non-lsd car will spin, and u will not be going anywhere. On a LSD car, u will just shoot out, and not really spin much if at all.

Old 02-22-2001, 02:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hardly a good test yet...

Nobody's published any good hard numbers on the AE yet. One race isn't going to tell you anything on a performance difference. 5hp may not be much across the powerband, but it is 5ph more. All other things being equal, the AE would be faster. However, all other things are not equal, so its tough to say...the added weight of the body kit (although Nissan still lists the two cars, SE and AE, at the same weight...perhaps less weight on the AE exhaust). Plus, you guys were driving automatics, right? That adds to the uncertainty of the race based on how each of you drive your autos.

Still waiting for someone like MT, R&T, or C&D to do a good repetitive test with multiple drivers and see how they average out the numbers. That will give us a better idea of how the AE really performs...IF at all different from the SE.

All-in-all, I say a Maxima to Maxima race attests to driving ability (props to RBa) and not car performance. Race other cars to test your car's performance.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:38 PM

all you guys with autos

need to remmember that most of the peak HP in the maxima is not very usefull unless you come close to redline, and if I remmember correctly most of the auto trannies will not shift near redline. Since the AE's 5HP is probably beyond that point it might as well be useless.( unless you guys shift the auto yourselfs and get to redline).

Old 02-22-2001, 04:45 PM
Got Bent?

Re: all you guys with autos

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter
need to remmember that most of the peak HP in the maxima is not very usefull unless you come close to redline, and if I remmember correctly most of the auto trannies will not shift near redline. Since the AE's 5HP is probably beyond that point it might as well be useless.( unless you guys shift the auto yourselfs and get to redline).

True, true....If you have an auto you should manually shift it up to get the most power out of it. Take it up to about 6100 rpm and then shift up. This will alow the tranny to shift near redline.
Old 02-22-2001, 04:48 PM

Re: Re: all you guys with autos

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
True, true....If you have an auto you should manually shift it up to get the most power out of it. Take it up to about 6100 rpm and then shift up. This will alow the tranny to shift near redline.
I'd like to use the following method to get extra power:

Trade the b*tch in for a stick.

Old 02-22-2001, 05:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'd say there is no other way...

I'd like to use the following method to get extra power:

Trade the b*tch in for a stick.

<B>You hit the nail on the head!</B>

Old 02-22-2001, 05:58 PM

That was my solution, and haven't looked back...
Old 02-22-2001, 06:37 PM

Re: Re: all you guys with autos

Originally posted by Maxx-s-ter

an auto will go to about 6000 rpm's when you floor the hell out of it from a stop but when i power shift mine i can feel the extra kick when i shift it later the only bad thing about that is that i have tagged the hell out of my rev limiter sooooo bad many of times the car will sometime kick it straight into 2nd but sometimes it will hold it out and hit red line..... but it is definatly faster closer to red line i think the max hp comes at 6400 rpms so that is right at that little white tick on the rpm gauge......... once the auto hits third gear just forget about it the car seems like it just stops tryin compared to first and second.. but it has some kick........ im thinkin about getting the level 10 torque converter and that will get rid of my problem and make my car as fast if not faster than the 5-speeds hehe so watch out (no human error/dont have to worry about missing gears)!!!!!
Old 02-22-2001, 06:58 PM

Originally posted by RBa
Put a y-pipe, next time you'll kill him.

Double A
Old 02-23-2001, 11:24 AM
Adam01GXE

my thoughts exactly on the auto to stick trade in!

my 93 max was an auto. it was fun to drive, but the manual tranny makes it seem like a different car!