5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is maxspeed worth it without the gr-2?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2003, 07:23 PM

Is maxspeed worth it without the gr-2?

I've spent a week searching all the posts i can, and have decided maxspeed/gr-2 is the stup i'm going to run on my baby. However, there is an issue. I am a very poor college student who has a very expensive habit (car modding).

I can afford the $100 for the maxspeeds and 40-50 for install. That's doable on my budget, just eat more ramen.

But the gr-2s for a full set run above 300 not including install. I can't do both right now.

My question is: is it worth it run the maxspeeds on stock struts, will it make enough of a difference to justify or do the real benefits only come from the combo and i should wait. And yes i understand the benefits of having the install done at once, but like i said i am a poor college kid. Please only knowledgeable answers, thanks.
Old 11-15-2003, 07:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMO.................NO!
Old 11-15-2003, 07:42 PM

BTW, if you do the gr2s with the maxspeeds the install cost will be the same.

You can get Maxspeeds and gr2s for about 390ish shipped!
Old 11-15-2003, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by Maximam
BTW, if you do the gr2s with the maxspeeds the install cost will be the same.

You can get Maxspeeds and gr2s for about 390ish shipped!

i know about the cheap deals, but 450 with install is a ton harder to swallow than 150 with install...

But i'm assuming two votes for no on getting the springs before the struts?
Old 11-15-2003, 08:49 PM

why dont you just get the springs for right now it usually takes about 50-60 thousand miles to wear out the struts which is about 3-4 years depending on how you drive
Old 11-15-2003, 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ironlord
i know about the cheap deals, but 450 with install is a ton harder to swallow than 150 with install...

But i'm assuming two votes for no on getting the springs before the struts?

Doing one without the other is counter productive. A higher spring rate with a stock strut will make for worse handling, the struts will wear out faster and bottoming will be more of a concern.

The stock struts will not be able to control the higher spring rate causing a bouncy ride. Also a strut which can not control a higher spring rate will have a very hard time keeping the tire connected to the road under certain conditions.

People often regret lowering their cars after installing lowering springs with the stock struts because of poor quality of ride/performance.

Buy the Maxspeeds, display them in your garage until you can buy the GR2s, then install them together.
Old 11-15-2003, 08:57 PM
scopium

Originally Posted by Ironlord
I've spent a week searching all the posts i can, and have decided maxspeed/gr-2 is the stup i'm going to run on my baby. However, there is an issue. I am a very poor college student who has a very expensive habit (car modding).

I can afford the $100 for the maxspeeds and 40-50 for install. That's doable on my budget, just eat more ramen.

But the gr-2s for a full set run above 300 not including install. I can't do both right now.

My question is: is it worth it run the maxspeeds on stock struts, will it make enough of a difference to justify or do the real benefits only come from the combo and i should wait. And yes i understand the benefits of having the install done at once, but like i said i am a poor college kid. Please only knowledgeable answers, thanks.

i saw some BRAND NEW gr2 auctioned off on ebay couple of days ago... check
ebay... it was priced for 150 brand new

Old 11-15-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Xplayboy69x
why dont you just get the springs for right now it usually takes about 50-60 thousand miles to wear out the struts which is about 3-4 years depending on how you drive

IMO, stock struts last 50-60k miles with stock springs, stiffer springs will accelerate this greatly!
Old 11-16-2003, 08:12 AM
Very sound, Mike

Just wait until you can get hold of new struts. I waited a whole year with my Maxspeeds in the closet. Now that i have my GR-2's i'm waiting until i can get hold of new rotors.

that way, i can just do it all at once - saves time and money (sort of )
Old 11-16-2003, 08:44 AM

i just put MaxSpeeds on my 2k WITH stock struts. i plan on getting GR2s as well WHEN i notice my stock struts giving out...don't see the need to spend the money until i have to. so, obviously i would suggest you just toss on the MaxSpeeds now and shocks later.

a few more comments on your question:
i just bought my MaxSpeeds on ebay for $66 plus shippping (NEW). so you may be able to get them or less than $100.

you mentioned $40-50 for install. not sure who you could get to do it that cheap. all my local shops charge more like $40-$60 PER STRUT...not total. all my estimates were $150-$300 for install.

also, you can get the GR2s for less that $300 as you mentioned. SOUNDMIKE had a "group deal" for $280 a few ago. i've seen the same dealer selling them on ebay for $260. check the "for sale" section here and ebay as well...may be able to find some used ones for even cheaper.

i would suggest doing the install yourself to save money. i just installed my MaxSpeeds on stock struts a few days ago. i had never done anything like that before and to be honest i was quite worried about doing it. but...didn't have a choice - didn't want to spend the money for a professional install!

the install turned out to be a breeze! no where near as intense as i had thought. i just made a how-to for those in your exact situation. you can check it out here:
http://www.kevinfisher.net/web_server/maxima/springs

yes, i'll have to do the work all over again when i finally get the GR2s...but again, it was not very hard and worth the money i'll save! plus, i couldn't live with that 4x4 wheel gap anymore!!!
Old 11-16-2003, 10:33 AM

Last comment.

If stiffer springs are installed with stock shocks you are decreasing your cars performance/control because of impatience.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:09 AM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally Posted by Maximam
Last comment.

If stiffer springs are installed with stock shocks you are decreasing your cars performance/control because of impatience.

exactly i feel the same way....i just purchased eibach springs (pro-kit) and i want to put them on so badly but im waiting to catch a good deal on some kyb gr2s.also i am getting a cattman rear sway bar. That way ill do it once and do it right and be completely satisfied(hopefully)
Old 11-16-2003, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
exactly i feel the same way....i just purchased eibach springs (pro-kit) and i want to put them on so badly but im waiting to catch a good deal on some kyb gr2s.also i am getting a cattman rear sway bar. That way ill do it once and do it right and be completely satisfied(hopefully)

I have a Cattman RSB and it works great but with a lowered car it will rub your rear brake lines.

I am going with Stillen very soon because they have a better end link design.
Old 11-16-2003, 11:39 AM

i guess it depends on what you are looking for.

i just wanted a drop. performance was secondary to me. so, therefore...there was no reason for me to wait. i didn't care about whether it was "stiff", spring rate, blah, blah.

mine are great so far with stock struts. i have 44k on my 2000. stock struts have held up well to date - although i'm sure they will fade quick since i have put on the MaxSpeeds.

since i put them on last week - so far, no bumps, no rubbing, no pops, no thuds...no problems at all with MaxSpeeds and stock struts.
Old 11-16-2003, 06:04 PM

alright thanks guys, these are the types of answers i was looking for. Suspension is the one part of a car i know the least about, so i didn;t know if the springs on stock struts would work. It looks like all but one said no, it wouldn't. So i will hold on on my springs purchase until i can afford the struts. thanks guys.
Old 11-16-2003, 08:17 PM

I just installed the Maxspeed springs with Tokico blues yesterday. All went well and I did it myself. I am surprised at how high it still seems. Will it drop more in the next couple weeks? It does drive a lot better. It corners and handles better, but I am kind of disappointed at the drop. I hope it will settle. anyone with Maxspeeds notice this. What is the settle time?
Old 11-16-2003, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by SacMax2002
I just installed the Maxspeed springs with Tokico blues yesterday. All went well and I did it myself. I am surprised at how high it still seems. Will it drop more in the next couple weeks? It does drive a lot better. It corners and handles better, but I am kind of disappointed at the drop. I hope it will settle. anyone with Maxspeeds notice this. What is the settle time?

You may see a 1/4 inch more but maxspeeds are one of the highest drops.
Old 11-16-2003, 09:42 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

I ran on Maxspeeds for about 40k miles before I put Tokico Blues on..... I went down about an extra 1/4 inch after the Tokicos.... I would say get the Maxspeeds, or Teins if you want to go lower....but springs for sure..
Old 11-16-2003, 10:22 PM
scopium

is the drop with maxspeeds at least noticible or is it the exact stock hight?
i have maxspeeds and waiting for my tockicos to get here....

how long will it take for the springs to settle?

Old 11-16-2003, 10:45 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

Im not sure how low you want to go , but this is where I sit on Tokicos and Maxspeeds..

If you want to go lower go with Teins.... They are about a full inch lower from what I see....
Old 11-17-2003, 04:56 AM

yes...the MaxSpeeds WILL settle about a .25" or so within a few weeks.

and yes, even though MaxSpeeds are probably the least drop of any spings out there...the drop IS still very noticable.

MaxSpeed advertise about a 1.5"-1.8" drop on fronts, and 1.0" or so on rear. i assure you you WILL notice...just compare the MaxSpeed strings height to your stock ones - the MaxSpeeds are quite shorter.

i would guess my drop was almost cut in half right away. i probably had a full 4 or 5 finger gap in the front. immediately after install i only had a 2-3 finger gap. i'm expecting even less after some settling.

if you want a total slammed drop...don't get MaxSpeeds. but for a noticable, yet classy and conservative drop...you can't beat the price and quality of them.

i'll post pics of my before and after in a week or so after the settling has worked itself out.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:18 AM

Please only post if you have REAL experience to discuss

I installed Maxspeeds on the stock struts. The ride was different not worse by any means. I would highly recommend installing lowering springs on stock struts. At the same time start looking for group deals on Tokicos or GR2's. The ride on the Maxspeeds was much more controlled but at the same time the steering got a little sloppy in long high speed turns. But I would rather put up with the sloppy steering than deal with the boat ride and bounce of the stock combination.

Just recently the stock struts have started to lose some control in the rear when I have people riding in the back. I ran 9 months with Maxspeeds and stock struts.

BTW, installation is EASY. I have installed 3 sets of springs on Maximas (without a spring compressor either). All you need to do is have two other friends to help you out and a few tools.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:41 AM

I had maxspeeds on stock struts for around 10K miles and although the ride wasn't great, it was acceptable. The car handled better than stock and was a little rougher. The main issue that I experienced was on some big bumps. The intial bump was not bad, but the bounces after the fact. I still say to do it unless you think you will get some Xmas money soon.
Old 11-17-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by kloogy
I ran on Maxspeeds for about 40k miles before I put Tokico Blues on..... I went down about an extra 1/4 inch after the Tokicos.... I would say get the Maxspeeds, or Teins if you want to go lower....but springs for sure..
Kloogy, how do you like the Tokicos so far. I am still split between them and the GR2's.

From what I remember, the other pics of your car showed the wheel tighter to the fender than what you have in the picture above.