5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

unresolved intake issues...

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2003, 03:42 PM

unresolved intake issues...

...and nobody seems to know what to do about it. I've taken it to three people just today, and I can't get an answer. I'm prepared to pay whatever, I just want my car to run correctly. I'm sure you can appreciate my frustration, as this is going into it's third month. I'm so over it, that I'm honestly prepared to get rid of this car and never look back. Okay... I'm done venting.

Here's the deal. Frankencar intake. Installed in September. Loss of throttle response and performance above 4000 rpm. Checking vacuum hose connections four days after initial install, I discovered (or caused) a break of the connection on the midpipe. Frankencar was nice enough to refurbish the part. In the meantime, I returned to my stock intake with zero performance problems. Keep in mind, I never threw a SE light. Refurbished part returned to me. I called two other mod heads to oversee and confirm proper reinstallation. Battery disconnected from car for 12+ hours on multiple occasions. Regardless, the car still runs like garbage with the custom intake. Again, I have yet to see a SE light. In the mornings when the engine is cold, regardless of actual ambient temperature, the car will choke out and die multiple times until the engine warms up. Once warmed up, I can rev her up while out of gear with no problem, but as soon as I require the engine to do any actual work the aforementioned problems arise. I have posted multiple inquiries on this forum back when I initially installed the intake. You guys are honestly my last hope, except for perhaps the dealership that I was trying to avoid and some kid at the local performance shop that promised to do some homework on it behind the scenes. Otherwise, I can sell a refurbished black Frankencar intake with Apexi filter real cheap and a 2000 Maxima probably even cheaper.

Can there be a problem with the MAF sensor without it sparking the SE light? Is it worthwhile to take it to the dealership, with custom intake in place, and requesting computer resetting and MAF sensor replacement? I know this can't be cheap. I'm going to have the only $1,000.00 hot air intake in town.

For the love of all that is holy, please help!
Old 11-17-2003, 03:47 PM

A close-up picture of your installation would be very helpfull in determining the problem.
Old 11-17-2003, 03:59 PM

And would you believe that my wife broke our digital camera less than a week ago?
Old 11-17-2003, 09:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had the same prob with my 97 maxima all i had to do is clean the throttle, try that first buy like a 2 dollar can of throttle body cleaner and if that doesnt work go from there
Old 11-18-2003, 03:35 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Well

It makes me think that the connections are not properly fitted. If its choking out and dying, it makes me believe that air is getting into the system after the MAF, which is causing run-time problems. As we all know the MAF measures airflow and adjusts "things" to make it run right. If you have an air leak, you will have run-time problems.

Did you properly put in the temp sensor in the temp hole using the grommet?

Make FOR SURE that all the fittings are seated as tight as possible and the securing attachment bands are very snug.

And DONT take it to the dealer...you will be VERY sorry.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:28 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by FtNx
I'm so over it, that I'm honestly prepared to get rid of this car and never look back. ...I returned to my stock intake with zero performance problems. ...Otherwise, I can sell a refurbished black Frankencar intake with Apexi filter real cheap and a 2000 Maxima probably even cheaper.
If I understand you correctly, your car runs fine with the stock intake?

My advice is toss (sell) the Frankencar and save yourself some blood pressure points.

I wouldn't sell my Max simply because a $180 aftermarket intake gave me problems.

Or, if you absolutely have to have the Frankencar, get those guys to send you a brand new one to try. If your stock setup has no issues, then clearly it's the Frankencar, or some aspect of its installation. Maybe you got a lemon from them.

BTW, my wife broke my digital camera awhile back too, so I know how ya feel about that
Old 11-18-2003, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by Maximus03SE
If I understand you correctly, your car runs fine with the stock intake?

My advice is toss (sell) the Frankencar and save yourself some blood pressure points.

I wouldn't sell my Max simply because a $180 aftermarket intake gave me problems.

Or, if you absolutely have to have the Frankencar, get those guys to send you a brand new one to try. If your stock setup has no issues, then clearly it's the Frankencar, or some aspect of its installation. Maybe you got a lemon from them.

BTW, my wife broke my digital camera awhile back too, so I know how ya feel about that
I agree, if the stock set up works, dump the frankenca. I had an Injen that was causing my car to knock/ping so I went back to stock and it seems to be fine. There are a couple of threads that talk about modifying the stock box... still waiting to see if anyone else has good luck. If you take to the dealer go back to stock it's not worth the headach.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:51 AM

Like mentioned before, it sounds like air is getting in after the MAF which is causing the MAF to read airflow incorrectly. Otherwise, I have no idea. It's a pretty simple setup.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
I agree, if the stock set up works, dump the frankenca. I had an Injen that was causing my car to knock/ping so I went back to stock and it seems to be fine. There are a couple of threads that talk about modifying the stock box... still waiting to see if anyone else has good luck. If you take to the dealer go back to stock it's not worth the headach.
I had similar problem w/the Injen intake, knock & ping. It turned out that I had a dirty fuel injectors. After treating it w/a bottle of B&G 44k, the knock/ping was gone!
Old 11-18-2003, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by VMaximus02
I had similar problem w/the Injen intake, knock & ping. It turned out that I had a dirty fuel injectors. After treating it w/a bottle of B&G 44k, the knock/ping was gone!
Huuh?? Dirty injectors? I've only got 9000 miles... is it possile to have dirty injectors? How many miles do you have? How long after you put on your Injen did it start. I dying to figur out what is up with this, I went back to stock and the knocking/pinging is still there but ever so slight. Anything you can tellme will be much appreciated. Thanks.
Old 11-18-2003, 02:17 PM

yea... I did fail to mention that I cleaned the heck out of my throttle body, as well as run a fuel injection cleaner through the tank. Yesterday, when I was at a pro shop, someone unplugged my MAF connection while the car was running and now it's running even worse. Yes, it was plugged back in... She still gets me from A to B, but is idling much lower and more problematic at even lower RPMs. I'm pretty sure that the temp sensor and grommet are plugged in okay. The grommet appears a little less than desirable. It's almost like a corner of it was folded inward on itself and then solidified (so to speak) in that position. In other words, it's not like I can flip that little aspect back into an ideal position. However, it seems to get an okay seal. I can take it out completely and it doesn't run any different. Maybe that's the problem??? I don't know. I feel like I have a Sentra trapped inside a Maxima's body. No offense Sentra guys.... You would probably beat my Max right now. Hell, my wife's VTEC Civic would probably leave me choking on exhaust fumes. Anyway, as far as going back to stock intake... That just seems like the natural starting point for mods and not being able to upgrade that kinda prevents me from doing other stuff that I want to do. Not really, I guess... But you know what I mean, I'm sure... Regardless, as usual, I greatly appreciate your sympathy and advice. Any more thoughts or advice on the dealership approach? I'm due for some service anyway, so I was going to take it in for some other stuff anyway...
Old 11-18-2003, 02:57 PM

Is it possible your MAF tube is installed backwards? I know I've read about some 02-03 guys doing this. Not sure if it's the same setup on the 2000.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:13 PM
retired moderator

I had the same problem....like Colonel and Virus said...tighten your hose clamps on the engine side of the MAF and make sure your vacuum lines are on tight and not kinked....I did this and it solved the problem.
Old 11-20-2003, 10:42 AM

Pics!

Here are some pics...