5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Help. its getting annoying

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2003, 08:51 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Help. its getting annoying

Hi. (stupid thing) let my sister borrow the car. she hit the curb with both my drivers side wheels and scratched the front rim and dented a little the back one. she said she was just making the turn and was going slow.

now everytime i go over 35+ the car makes whoooshing noise. the weird thing is the noise seems to come from the opposite side of the impact.
i balanced all tires. that didnt help
the guy at the tire place told me the rim isnt bent.
what else could it be? he mentioned something about the bearing? i am clueless?

please advise.
Old 11-25-2003, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by goldmaxNYC
Hi. (stupid thing) let my sister borrow the car. she hit the curb with both my drivers side wheels and scratched the front rim and dented a little the back one. she said she was just making the turn and was going slow.

now everytime i go over 35+ the car makes whoooshing noise. the weird thing is the noise seems to come from the opposite side of the impact.
i balanced all tires. that didnt help
the guy at the tire place told me the rim isnt bent.
what else could it be? he mentioned something about the bearing? i am clueless?

please advise.
Rule # 1. Never let anyone borrow your Max, Grasshopper. You probably need to check the whole undercarriage at a shop. The alignment could be off or something else could be bent from the "slow" impact.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:16 AM

most likely a bent wheel bearing. or loose lug nut from the impact. I whould get the alignment first because every time you hit the wheel with things. the specs get trown off. do not the balance because it just make the tire not shake at hi speed.
Old 11-25-2003, 10:37 AM

ok i didnt hit anything but i have the same problem but with my back tires....when i reverse it makes a whooshing sound on the left back tire and sometimes when i drive i hear a kindof rattling sound on the right rear....im confused as hell...it actually got worse today so its at the dealership....i let u know the problem when i get it back....pc
Old 11-25-2003, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by NYC TAR
most likely a bent wheel bearing. or loose lug nut from the impact. I whould get the alignment first because every time you hit the wheel with things. the specs get trown off. do not the balance because it just make the tire not shake at hi speed.

thanks for the replies will try to get alignment done see what happens. ok about the wheel bearing how much is it about if you know ? is it hard to replace?
Old 11-25-2003, 07:21 PM
retired moderator

Check the bearings...soon. If one is bad and it seizes up, you could end up with a totaled car, esp if you are going fast..if the bearing seizes, even at slower speed, it could severly mess up your car...this happened in my old, old integra....luckly I was not near other cars....front right wheel bearing went and I found myself spinning out. scared the **** out of me! That whooshing sound is exactly what a bad bearing sounds like. They are pretty easy to replace and should be cheap (at least they were for the integra)
Old 11-26-2003, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by irish44j
Check the bearings...soon. If one is bad and it seizes up, you could end up with a totaled car, esp if you are going fast..if the bearing seizes, even at slower speed, it could severly mess up your car...this happened in my old, old integra....luckly I was not near other cars....front right wheel bearing went and I found myself spinning out. scared the **** out of me! That whooshing sound is exactly what a bad bearing sounds like. They are pretty easy to replace and should be cheap (at least they were for the integra)
DAMN you scared me. but thanks for the warning. gonna check and change over the weekend.