5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Click Click Click noise when engine is shut off.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 03:26 AM

Click Click Click noise when engine is shut off.

So, whenever I shut the engine off in my 2k Max with 62k on it, I hear a "click click click" from the engine compartment. I tried to pinpoint the location and as far as I can tell it's coming from the engine on the right side. To the left of the stock airbox.

Any ideas? I'm thinking perhaps an engine mount, or is this normal? It does it every time the car is shut off.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:51 AM

I've noticed, with the hood up, that if I have the car OFF and I turn the key until all of the dashboard lights come on (one click short of starting the engine), then turn everything off and take the key back out a few seconds later there is a clicking from my throttle body location. Nissan says this is perfectly normal and is a solenoid or something. So, it does it for me whether the car was just turned off, or even if the key was simply taken out (as long as it was turned all the way one click short of actually starting the car).
Old 12-03-2003, 05:04 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Matto357
So, whenever I shut the engine off in my 2k Max with 62k on it, I hear a "click click click" from the engine compartment. I tried to pinpoint the location and as far as I can tell it's coming from the engine on the right side. To the left of the stock airbox.

Any ideas? I'm thinking perhaps an engine mount, or is this normal? It does it every time the car is shut off.
dont ask why, but its the noise that the electronically controlled engine mounts make.
Old 12-04-2003, 03:09 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by sloppymax
dont ask why, but its the noise that the electronically controlled engine mounts make.
Seconded... This is correct...
Old 12-05-2003, 08:03 PM
Wild at Hurt

Which models of max have the electric motor mounts? SE's too?
If so I want to put inline fuses in mine. Guys have had motor mounts short out and burn down their ECU's
Old 12-05-2003, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
If so I want to put inline fuses in mine. Guys have had motor mounts short out and burn down their ECU's

Ummmmm.....It isn't the electronic engine mounts at all. The noise is your throttle body butterfly closing it self and then chekcing its position. If you have ever reset your ECU using the Technosquare instructions, when you re-learn your throttle position sensor you will hear this same noise. The car is just making sure everything is in place.
Old 12-05-2003, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
Ummmmm.....It isn't the electronic engine mounts at all. The noise is your throttle body butterfly closing it self and then chekcing its position. If you have ever reset your ECU using the Technosquare instructions, when you re-learn your throttle position sensor you will hear this same noise. The car is just making sure everything is in place.
this is correct!

will
Old 12-06-2003, 11:22 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

--Which models of max have the electric motor mounts? SE's too?

I believe only GLE autos have the mounts...

--Ummmmm.....It isn't the electronic engine mounts at all.

Wierd!! I was told that by a Nissan tech... I stand corrected then.
Old 12-06-2003, 12:54 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
so how about for 2k & 2k1 that dont have drive by wire? the ecu in those years cannot be reset in this manner. the noise that i hear can be right from the mount below the location of the intake air box. ive been around plenty of 2k2 & k3 have not displayed the same noise i am talking about. im pretty sure since the original poster has a 2k that this the same noise i am talking about. all models of autos have the same mounts as other autos. the mounts in the manual are different but are the same in all manuals.
Old 12-06-2003, 09:27 PM

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

thats the culprit.

will
Old 12-08-2003, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by Mick Max
Auto's have the electronically controlled engine mounts.
Manual trans do not.

The wiring diagram I have for the 2000 shows a 15A fusible link (left side of engine compt) already.
Old 12-08-2003, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by WILLSE
Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures
1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch is “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch is “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

thats the culprit.

will

On a 2000 the only thing that's gonna make the Throttle valve move is the cable that connects it to the gas pedal