5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Another Almost HID THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2003, 02:59 AM

Another Almost HID THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am now up and restless my left headlight was stolen at the mall the other day and this morning at 5:30 am A car pulled across my street three people w/ hooded sweatshirts came out and surrounded my car, to try to pull out my hids, I ran down the stairs and ran out in the snow towards them screaming the pussies ran and drove away. This was in marlboro NJ. The safest town in nJ. i was spending the night here cause my car was undriveabele from the hid theft the other day leaveing my stranded here in the snow. Nowhere in jersey is safe!!!!! beware.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:01 AM

they didnt get my right light.
Old 12-07-2003, 03:21 AM

sorry bout that bro...u woulda thought the snow (we got 18in here in NYC) woulda made ppl think twice bout committin crimes...i mean its sad even when mother nature can't help you...
Old 12-07-2003, 03:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Aint no place safe for HID thefts in NE USA anymore.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:11 AM

You would think that this would have slowed down a little by now, given all the cars with aftermarket hids, but its only gotten worse.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:19 AM

From what the Freehold and Marlboro police tell me the problem in monmouth county is escalating. I live in Middlesex county, I always expected this to happen there, but it never did. I am only here for the weekend because I am staying at my parents house for the weekend, cause of the prior HID theft on friday night, and my car is not legally driveable. Beware.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:21 AM

I am just thankful I heard their car door shut and looked out the window then ran downstairs. For any fellow Monmouth county people. It was a 95-98
Beige, Tan Jeep Grand Cherokee. I called the cops but they didnt catch them. Be on the lookout.
Old 12-07-2003, 04:34 AM

car is now officially for sale, so I can sleep at night.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by adamschwartz
car is now officially for sale, so I can sleep at night.
Do You have any pic and HOW MUCH??
Old 12-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

I am now up and restless my left headlight was stolen at the mall the other day and this morning at 5:30 am A car pulled across my street three people w/ hooded sweatshirts came out and surrounded my car, to try to pull out my hids, I ran down the stairs and ran out in the snow towards them screaming the pussies ran and drove away. This was in marlboro NJ. The safest town in nJ. i was spending the night here cause my car was undriveabele from the hid theft the other day leaveing my stranded here in the snow. Nowhere in jersey is safe!!!!! beware.

take it from me ive gotten my headlights stolen 4 times the only way to be safe is to lock up or garage your car all the time in jersey....

-J
Old 12-07-2003, 07:18 AM

i live 3 miles from marlboro, this is way too close to home. this is not cool! i never thought this would come into our neck of the woods. im in law enforcement and i am currently stationed in atlantic city and in the 8 months i have been there i have not come across 1 hid theft and i park my car in the worst part of town. seems like hid theft is coming further south!!!
Old 12-07-2003, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
take it from me ive gotten my headlights stolen 4 times the only way to be safe is to lock up or garage your car all the time in jersey....

-J
You would think that the law enforcement folks would run a sting on the thefts by now. All they would need to do is have a decoy Maxima equipped with cameras and fake HIDs in it. I'm sure they would catch some of the thieves. There is probably a ring of organized thieves doing this.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:39 AM
Joo wanna play??......ok we go to war

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
You would think that the law enforcement folks would run a sting on the thefts by now. All they would need to do is have a decoy Maxima equipped with cameras and fake HIDs in it. I'm sure they would catch some of the thieves. There is probably a ring of organized thieves doing this.

actually the cops by me said that nissan finally gave thema decoy vehicle to perform stings......but i havent heard any updates they probably took teh vehicle and take turns driving around the beast
Old 12-07-2003, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by 2k2whitemaxi
actually the cops by me said that nissan finally gave thema decoy vehicle to perform stings......but i havent heard any updates they probably took teh vehicle and take turns driving around the beast
What a pity.
Old 12-07-2003, 07:52 AM

hmm, Adam they must have run your plates somehow, or knew you personally, to be able to figure out where you live.

I would be most worried about that.
I cannot believe they are doing it in the snow....I guess crime never has a day off....

I too am now paranoid, I never drive straight home anymore, I always make u turns when I have a civic or acord behind me that looks suspect.

This is ridiculous. If I trade in my car I will lose some serious dough on it, which doesn't allow me to buy a new nice car....
Old 12-07-2003, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Now that's bar none the best HID theft prevention idea I've heard yet. Three great advantages to this idea:
1. Get a break into the ring when/if the perps confess
2. Thiefs start thinking twice when their buddies get caught by the cops
3. Cops could multi-task and run radar while monitoring this sting - No time lost (other than setting up the vehicle).

So what could stop them from doing the above?
1. Limited penalties for thieves? - Is $1400 in theft a felony or misdemeaner? What are the penalites?
2. Lazyness or lack of genuine interest in helping society
3. Funding to get the vehicle. - There are quite a few options to keep this good and cheap:
A) - Offer your car as the sting vehicle in exchange for compensation of your deductable. You'd get the satisfaction of knowing you stuck it to the scum of the earth, and assist the cops financially. I would say the cops could just stop the thieves before the headlights were removed, but likely they'd have to let the thieves remove the lights to have a solid case...
B) - Rent a Maxima...do they still rent 2k3's?
C) - Cops could purchase a higher milage stripper 2k2 pretty cheap and use it for undercover work as well! I think this is the best option.

Other ideas anyone?? EDIT - Just saw above that there is apparently already a sting vehicle from Nissan! That's awesome - but pretty surprising since I personally think Nissan likes this problem from a financial standpoint. I'd be far more convinced if Nissan donated more than one vehicle to this issue! How about a dozen or so?

Finally, I don't think anyone has had any experience with stolen HIDs, but I suppose in many of the cases above the headlights could just be reinstalled (when they don't brake the casing or bang up the bumper or fender). I understand they brake the mounts, but maybe some hefty glue would do the trick - as long as the theives couldn't tell!

In case you can't tell, this idea has me fired up! I'd love to see something like this implemented in the NE to solve (or at least minimize) this problem for all you .orgers in the NE!
Old 12-07-2003, 08:16 AM

a good solution would be to boobie trap your hids with sharp razors along the grab edges. also, replace screws with security screws and/or any other security reinforcement system.
also. what ever happened to hood locks.. i searched for a dealer in my area but it seems like they are gone with hte dynosaurs.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by BOZOnPJs
a good solution would be to boobie trap your hids with sharp razors along the grab edges. also, replace screws with security screws and/or any other security reinforcement system.
also. what ever happened to hood locks.. i searched for a dealer in my area but it seems like they are gone with hte dynosaurs.
You would probably get sued by the would be thief for causing him injury. Most states frown on boobby traps.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:05 AM

1. Limited penalties for thieves? - Is $1400 in theft a felony or misdemeaner? What are the penalites?

In my state, anything over $1000 in value is a felony. The lowest sentence for a felony is a year and a day in prison. They would be out in less time with good behavior.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaPolak
Do You have any pic and HOW MUCH??
21k, I will post pics tonite, when I get out of work.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:55 AM
retired moderator

...here;s a solution for all my 2k2-3 brethren....get som lights from a 2k-1 and put them in. Yes, you lose the advantages of the HID, but at least your headlights won't get stolen...
Old 12-07-2003, 09:58 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

In my city last year when it snowed a lot was when the police said the most HID's were stolen, think about it, noone on the streets, cops will take a while to get there in their POS Victorias/Caprices.
Old 12-07-2003, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by BigDogJonx
Aint no place safe for HID thefts in NE USA anymore.
Connecticut is safe. No problems with hid theft here.
Old 12-07-2003, 10:01 AM

I am just thankful I heard their car door shut and looked out the window then ran downstairs. For any fellow Monmouth county people. It was a 95-98
Beige, Tan Jeep Grand Cherokee. I called the cops but they didnt catch them. Be on the lookout.
You should of got their plate number!!! Just a question, was it whites guy, black guys, or else?
Old 12-07-2003, 11:07 AM

I totally agree that if Nissan wants to show good faith in minimizing HID theft, it should donate cars as decoys. For the amount of $$ Nissan has made in replacing stolen HIDs, it would only be fair and politically and ethically correct to do this.

I read sometime ago that one of the org members is willing to use his car as a decoy, and a bunch of org members would wait around and beat the sh*t out the scumbag thieves when they are caught.

Just this morning, I saw an Acura TL without HIDs in a shopping mall near me. I felt sorry for the owner those HIDs are probably being used on a cheap Accord or CRX.
Old 12-07-2003, 01:13 PM

I have no problem putting in 2k1 anniversary edition lights. Does anyone know any shops that will do that in New Jersey. I need this done quick. Thieves make me sick. As far as what nationality they were not like it matters, I couldnt tell they all had ski masks and hooded sweatshirts on. Does anyone have any pics of how the gap looks with the 2k1 ae headlights? and how much they cost as opposed to the hid lights?
thanks
Old 12-07-2003, 01:16 PM

I haven't heard of any problems like this across the river in Philly.
Old 12-07-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
I totally agree that if Nissan wants to show good faith in minimizing HID theft, it should donate cars as decoys. For the amount of $$ Nissan has made in replacing stolen HIDs, it would only be fair and politically and ethically correct to do this.

I read sometime ago that one of the org members is willing to use his car as a decoy, and a bunch of org members would wait around and beat the sh*t out the scumbag thieves when they are caught.

Just this morning, I saw an Acura TL without HIDs in a shopping mall near me. I felt sorry for the owner those HIDs are probably being used on a cheap Accord or CRX.

Does anyone know if they are stealing acura CL type S lights?
Old 12-07-2003, 02:56 PM
teddibear703

why are the thefts mostly in the NE area? so odd...
Old 12-07-2003, 04:01 PM

MA is pritty clean i havnt heard of any thefts here yeat
Old 12-07-2003, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
Does anyone know if they are stealing acura CL type S lights?
The short answer is yes; the TL/CL appears to be a distant second choice for HID theft. Followed by the Audi A4, an even more distant 3rd.

So far, I've been blessed when it comes to being a victim of HID theft. Commuting by train means that my Maxima mainly stays locked in my garage AND there's alway someone home @ my house (inlaws, for better or worse).

But, my neighbor has yet to have any problem with HID theft with his 99 TL, which he's had for several years and parks it outside. (Then again, I'm in a town where cops have been known to treat the "thug element" in special ways).

Peace.
Old 12-07-2003, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
The short answer is yes; the TL/CL appears to be a distant second choice for HID theft. Followed by the Audi A4, an even more distant 3rd.

So far, I've been blessed when it comes to being a victim of HID theft. Commuting by train means that my Maxima mainly stays locked in my garage AND there's alway someone home @ my house (inlaws, for better or worse).

But, my neighbor has yet to have any problem with HID theft with his 99 TL, which he's had for several years and parks it outside. (Then again, I'm in a town where cops have been known to treat the "thug element" in special ways).

Peace.
anyone with the bracket and data dots get the lights stolen yet?
Old 12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
teddibear703

those bastards...
Old 12-07-2003, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
MA is pritty clean i havnt heard of any thefts here yeat
keyword: yet
Old 12-07-2003, 10:50 PM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
keyword: yet
hopefully it will stay that way. im not worried i have a 2k
Old 12-08-2003, 06:37 AM

just get AE lights.... looks like crap, but you can sleep easier... after the 3rd time, i just gave up... and i have a set of HIDs in my house in case i move to Fantasy Land where no one steals HIDs and then install them
Old 12-08-2003, 06:55 AM

WTF! I have to go Christmas shopping in my wifes VWBeetle....I hate that car!

Sucks thinking twice about going to the mall in your Max (unless theres parking in the front)

Hopefully with time this BS will diminish- for now I hope to weather the storm....
Old 12-08-2003, 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Domo Kun
just get AE lights.... looks like crap, but you can sleep easier... after the 3rd time, i just gave up... and i have a set of HIDs in my house in case i move to Fantasy Land where no one steals HIDs and then install them
you mean Nebraska?
Old 12-08-2003, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
Connecticut is safe. No problems with hid theft here.

Miller Nissan in Fairfield lost 5 set of HID's way back in November of 2001. I would be careful in CT too.
Old 12-08-2003, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by Domo Kun
DOMO kun
where did you get the Ae lights installed? And if you can get me a picture of how it looks, I would be very appreciative, because that looks like what Im gonna have to.
Thanks in Advance.
-adam

Quick Reply: Another Almost HID THEFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!