5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny! Urgent!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 06:05 AM

Tranny! Urgent!!

I just got the auto tranny slip tsb done on my 00 SE about 3 weeks ago. The dealer only replaced a solenoid. But on hard quick revs, my tranny still sorta slams in the next gear or the revs will sort of fluctuate up and down for a second like it is searching for the next gear. I got 59,322 miles on it now and my powertrain warranty is about to run up. Do you think i can convince the dealer to give me a new transmission, or will they try to beat around the bush till im out of warranty?? Is my current tranny fixable?? Thinking about taking the car in this week. Still got the tsb warrant receipt and nissan sent me a dealer survey. Haven't filled it out yet and my dealer asked me to mark him on all excellents. Should i use this survey on my dealer as pressure to give me a brand new tranny??
Thanks and please help!!! Running out of warranty!
Old 12-08-2003, 06:30 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by milellie111
I just got the auto tranny slip tsb done on my 00 SE about 3 weeks ago. The dealer only replaced a solenoid. But on hard quick revs, my tranny still sorta slams in the next gear or the revs will sort of fluctuate up and down for a second like it is searching for the next gear. I got 59,322 miles on it now and my powertrain warranty is about to run up. Do you think i can convince the dealer to give me a new transmission, or will they try to beat around the bush till im out of warranty?? Is my current tranny fixable?? Thinking about taking the car in this week. Still got the tsb warrant receipt and nissan sent me a dealer survey. Haven't filled it out yet and my dealer asked me to mark him on all excellents. Should i use this survey on my dealer as pressure to give me a brand new tranny??
Thanks and please help!!! Running out of warranty!
As for the warranty issue, make sure to get all PAPERWORK on each trip. I would take it right back to them and say...it still is broken. And on EACH trip back to the dealer, get it in WRITTING if they did or did not fix it and why. If you have a paper trail showing the problem existed and you made a good faith effort to get it into service, it will (should) be more difficult for them to baulk at it. Although expect to get some harrasment because you are close. The key is to be able to show that they did NOT fix it correctly before warranty ended.

Good Luck!
Old 12-08-2003, 08:54 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

the TSB has nothing to do with the tranny - in the sense that is it damaged and would or wouldn't be "fixable". it is only for a seniod.

and NO...you will never to them to replace your entire tranny.

however, the TSB is for 1st-2nd OR 2nd-3rd shifts. make sure they replaced the one that you where having a problem with. ask them to replace it again first...then address further action.

if it wasn't fixed the first time, then they have to do it agian. if you don't get anywhere with this dealership - go to a new one!! a new one wouldn't know the difference and would replace it again for you.

you've got until 65k...so 5k more miles. don't freak out yet...plenty of time to get it resolved OR well documented and several repair attempts prior to running out of time.

AND KEEP RECORDS OF EVERYTHING! don't leave without paperwork. you may need it later if they try to stall until after 65k or if it is still not fixed at that point.

and YES, you can use the survey as leverage. also threaten (and actually do it) to call Nissan.

i had to biitch and moan to get my local dealership to do it as well. with effort - they will give in. but dream on about getting a completely new tranny!
Old 12-08-2003, 10:01 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally Posted by fishhouse
you've got until 65k...so 5k more miles. don't freak out yet...plenty of time to get it resolved OR well documented and several repair attempts prior to running out of time.

AND KEEP RECORDS OF EVERYTHING! don't leave without paperwork. you may need it later if they try to stall until after 65k or if it is still not fixed at that point.
Please make sure you reference the warranty. If you have not purchased an aftermarket warranty, the warranty for drivetrain is 5/60...not 5/65. Unless someone can point me where they have changed that in the last 6 months.

And like said above...KEEP RECORDS of every little thing.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Colonel
the warranty for drivetrain is 5/60...not 5/65.
you ARE correct. it IS 60k...not sure where i came up with 65. my bad!

so you DO have a little time issue, huh?!

i think if they attempted to fix something with 59,999 miles (for example) and it didn't fix it, then they can't automatically not do anymore warranty work on it a week later if you past 60k. as long as you have made them well aware of the problem and documented their attempt (especially if it didn't fix the original problem). just get it in as soon as you can. it might not hurt to call Nissan to verify.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:05 AM

They didn't follow the TSB if they only replaced a solenoid or even all solenoids; the TSB states to replace the SolenoidS and valve body, test drive if problem is not eliminated replace the TCM. Tell the service manager to follow the TSB this time.
Old 12-08-2003, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MAXSIE
They didn't follow the TSB if they only replaced a solenoid or even all solenoids; the TSB states to replace the SolenoidS and valve body, test drive if problem is not eliminated replace the TCM. Tell the service manager to follow the TSB this time.

On the tsb receipt, it said that they did replace the valve body but it said nothing about replacing or reprogramming the tcm. Any body else got the tsb done but still have tranny problems??