5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Bose Head Unit Replacement - Again

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:08 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2003 Bose Head Unit Replacement - Again

This is another post about the defective Bose head unit in the 2003's. I called the local Nissan dealership - explained the situation, they said bring it in, they would listen to it, then order a new one.

Well I took it in this morning 8am, waited an hour while they checked it, then told me it worked fine - which it did at that moment. It did not work yesterday. They also tried to blame it on the type of CD's I was playing (hard rock)......

So I spoke to the service manager and was told there was nothing he could do until they "heard" the problem. I told him there was a TSB, but he didn't care. I also asked it I would have to wait an hour next time as well, he said it depends how busy they are......

This is more of just a rant/vent about the lousy service from the "service" department than anything else.

Has anyone else experienced this when trying to get the head unit replaced?

Any suggestions to get better results?
Old 12-17-2003, 07:55 AM

My head in 2K SE started screwing up and said CD Err. The Nissan Dealership said they could not do anything because it was out of warrenty. They reccomended that I take the head and send it to bose myself. I asked Raido Shack about fixing it. They said they could sent it to bose and replace for $200. I really donot want to get a remanufactured head but that is what the shack said I would get in return. I might just do a DVD install or a new XM capable head unit.
Old 12-17-2003, 08:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You have to tell the dealer that it doesn't happen all of the time. I had my dealer fix it, they didn't check it or anything. Try going to another dealer.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
You have to tell the dealer that it doesn't happen all of the time. I had my dealer fix it, they didn't check it or anything. Try going to another dealer.
Really? My left channels cut out a few days ago but haven't since. I've just been waiting for it to happen again before I take it in. Sounds like I should give it a shot even though it's spradic.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:26 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You probably have the CR 070 model those are duds. I took mine in last year , no questions asked, free replacement, only 1 hour wait at dealer to install. The model # you'll get will be the CR 260.
Sounds like dealer is jackin' you around. There were tons of these defective Head Units talked about on various forums. The one they replaced mine with has 100% trouble free for a year now.
Old 12-17-2003, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by 03maximan
You probably have the CR 070 model those are duds. I took mine in last year , no questions asked, free replacement, only 1 hour wait at dealer to install. The model # you'll get will be the CR 260.
Sounds like dealer is jackin' you around. There were tons of these defective Head Units talked about on various forums. The one they replaced mine with has 100% trouble free for a year now.
Interesting. So I assume the only way I can find out the model # I have is to remove the unit and read the sticker on the top/back?
Old 12-17-2003, 09:35 AM

No, you can look on the tape flap thing. The model number is on it.
Old 12-17-2003, 12:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update:

I went to a different dealer at lunch today, this time armed with a copy of the TSB. They were much better to deal with once I produced the TSB. Didn't even listen to the CD player, as I told them it was working fine at the moment.

They have ordered the head unit and it should arrive in a couple of weeks.

BTW - my head unit is the CR 260.

Does anyone know which model numbers are the better/newer ones that I should expect to receive?
Old 12-17-2003, 01:49 PM

No, you can look on the tape flap thing. The model number is on it.
Well, that's a disappointment. Just checked and I have the CR 260 as well. Just went to my dealer today and they agreed to order me a new one. Said it'd be about a week. If I have the CR 260, does that mean the previous owner likely already swaps this thing out once? These common issues with this Bose deck are the reason I'm glad I've got an extended warranty. I'm worried this may not be my last trip in on this issue.
Old 12-17-2003, 02:00 PM

I think Nissan realized the problem and changed the Headunits. I guess the CR 260 was installed after a certain point of time, depending on your build date.
Old 12-17-2003, 11:26 PM

I think Nissan realized the problem and changed the Headunits. I guess the CR 260 was installed after a certain point of time, depending on your build date.
Considering I'm experiencing the same issues with the CR 260, which is supposedly the new "fixed" unit, maybe Nissan shoulda done a little more homework! Oh well, free fix for me!
Old 12-17-2003, 11:30 PM

OK now I have 4 TSB's to bring to the dealership next week... woohoo... hafta "unmod" my car too. Great. Course I guess overall I've had very few problems compared to my gf's mom's 2k3 Audi A6 - that car has been in the shop like 10 times! Nissan isnt THAT bad, c'mon now