5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If you change your own oil do you have to prove it to the dealer??? (OT)

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2003, 09:20 PM

Are the hour amounts different as my bro told me?

i.e. For CP engine r&r hours = xx.x
For warranty engine r&r = x.x
Old 12-20-2003, 06:53 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Not sure about Toyota (we have a toyota store, i can call one of their ASMs and ask) but here we use Motor's Guides for labor ops booking. Warranty uses a set of manuals online in PDF format.

Example to R&R a long block on a 4 liter Jeep Wrangler pays about 15 hours if the customer is paying and pays like 14.2 on factory..? Maybe difference of $50.
There are "adds" for features (add .4 if vehicle has a/c, etc)

So yes, the books used to book out customer pay ROs are different than the factory warranty admin guides (Global Warranty Administration.) But the difference is often smaller than 1 hour usually .4 or .5 hours different. Also, the warranty admin has some freedom in CP booking (a tech might get paid 1.5 hours for a 1.3 hour job.)

BTW i talked to my admin about the oil change issue -- she informed me that they would usually only harass someone about oil changes if the engine damage was obviously caused by a lack of oil changes (jello oil in the pan and sludge in the block.)

Oil changes are the cheapest preventative maintenance you can do! They regularly have coupons for $9.95 oil changes here and we also check brakes, tires, all fluids, etc. Cost of 5 quarts of oil and a filter is about $10 so it comes out even. My Max gets 2.5k oil/filter changes just in case
Old 12-22-2003, 08:15 AM

paralyse, a friend is a GM mechanic and he often "double bills" warranty work. The dealer bills the factory the time in the book, while the time saved from the fixed amount of time in the book he's billing another customer or the factory. Many a times his 8 hour day gets billed to the factory as 12 or more hours just by getting the jobs done faster than the book allows. The single job difference may be small, but put all those "little differences" together and they add up.
Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Originally Posted by CCS2k1Max
paralyse, a friend is a GM mechanic and he often "double bills" warranty work. The dealer bills the factory the time in the book, while the time saved from the fixed amount of time in the book he's billing another customer or the factory. Many a times his 8 hour day gets billed to the factory as 12 or more hours just by getting the jobs done faster than the book allows. The single job difference may be small, but put all those "little differences" together and they add up.
*nods*

Our techs work the same way. It might take a good tech 30 minutes to fix a common problem but the warranty pays him 1 hour of labor! Then he can get to work on another ticket. Most of our techs get paid per labor hour. CP work makes the advisors more money but doesn't help the tech out much, especially not on straight time RO lines.

Change a 2/2 O2 sensor under warr. -> takes a tech 20-30 mins -> tech gets paid 1.2 hours of labor at their hourly labor rate.

This is balanced out by those dang jobs where you run 8 hours IRL time and the damn warranty pays .5 hours (tracing wiring harness short-circuits comes to mind ) Our techs don't have the freedom to pull jobs, they are pre-assigned, so the "time saver" jobs like the above O2 sensor are usually balanced out by the "customer states the front end has a rattle between 10 and 80 MPH" tickets...
Old 12-22-2003, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by paralyse
*nods*

Our techs work the same way. It might take a good tech 30 minutes to fix a common problem but the warranty pays him 1 hour of labor! Then he can get to work on another ticket. Most of our techs get paid per labor hour. CP work makes the advisors more money but doesn't help the tech out much, especially not on straight time RO lines.

Change a 2/2 O2 sensor under warr. -> takes a tech 20-30 mins -> tech gets paid 1.2 hours of labor at their hourly labor rate.

This is balanced out by those dang jobs where you run 8 hours IRL time and the damn warranty pays .5 hours (tracing wiring harness short-circuits comes to mind ) Our techs don't have the freedom to pull jobs, they are pre-assigned, so the "time saver" jobs like the above O2 sensor are usually balanced out by the "customer states the front end has a rattle between 10 and 80 MPH" tickets...
Yup. I can see where you're coming from, but he dealer doesn't lose though.
Old 12-23-2003, 07:36 AM
BiggD23

Originally Posted by Ammi
what if you do your own oil change? Save credit card statements?
Originally Posted by Ammi
it's not going to tell you what you bought from the autostore though. Dealership could say you bought bunch of car wash soap and wax or something.
Exactly. Even if the receipt itemized the purchase, you have no way of proving that it was even for YOUR car. All that receipts do is prove that on such and such a date you bought a case of oil and a filter. It doesn't prove that you actually changed the oil and filter...you could have went home and put the stuff in the corner of the garage for all they know.

Old 06-14-2004, 01:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

damn i just read this....i need to start keeping records of my oil changes since i do it myself