5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Is this a good system setup for the stock Audio system in my 03 max?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2003, 01:06 PM

Is this a good system setup for the stock Audio system in my 03 max?

Was thinking about replacing all the speakers with Infinity 63.5i speakers with a rockford fosgate amp. Good Setup?

Also, I want to change my tweeter so the question is do I have to get another amp for the tweeters or find a bigger amp with more than 4 channels??
Old 12-18-2003, 01:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It really won't matter what you do if you dont' upgrade the head unit. The factory head unit is not going to sound much better with new speakers. Why are you not upgrading the head unit?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:07 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by NCTRNL
It really won't matter what you do if you dont' upgrade the head unit. The factory head unit is not going to sound much better with new speakers. Why are you not upgrading the head unit?
I disagree- all a head unit is a signal - he's adding an amplifier w/ better quality speakers- he will get more powerful/cleaner/ crisper sound regardless- specialy
on CD's

Stock speakers blow-

An aftermarket HU will provide a cleaner signal and more tunability than stock-
but its not nescessary if he wants to keep the convenience of stereo mounted controls and get better sound
Old 12-18-2003, 02:28 PM

Im sorry, you really have to be kidding me if you think that the stock head unit puts out sound quality that equals an Eclipse or Alpine Head unit. It is not just a signal. Yes, the stock speakers blow...but the head unit is as bad if not worse than they are, even in the BLOWSE system. You are correct, with an amplifier and speakers he will get more powerful/cleaner/crisper playback, but it will be lost on that factory head unit. Also, you can keep your steering wheel controls with an aftermarket stereo because they will wire them to use a remote control that they can hide. It will work. Someone please help me out here...
Old 12-18-2003, 02:35 PM

Due to the shape of the stock dash, an aftermarket deck might look funny...and then you lose the audio controls on the stering wheel...I think that might be the negatives...I'm sure an aftermarket deck is a huge improvement, but is it necessary?
Old 12-18-2003, 02:45 PM

They have great dash kits for the Maximas. They look good from what I have seen. As I said before, you do NOT lose the steering wheel controls if the shop you go to knows what they are doing.
Old 12-18-2003, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by NCTRNL
They have great dash kits for the Maximas. They look good from what I have seen. As I said before, you do NOT lose the steering wheel controls if the shop you go to knows what they are doing.
Maximo-se asked a specific question having nothing to do with HU replacement so slow your horses

And if you read my earlier post -Never did i say that the stock headunit if better!
I believe I explained myself well-Maybe you need to read things slowly a few times before jumping to conclusions-
Old 12-18-2003, 03:02 PM

I have the BOSE radio. How would new speakers sound? I don't want to spend a lot of money on buying a new headunit.
Old 12-18-2003, 03:09 PM

They would sound alot better than stock- you may need to get an aftermarket amp to be able to deliver the RMS figures the new speakers require

or if you dont want to spend $$ on an amp find out
how much watts RMS per channel your HU puts out
and find a speaker that matches it well- I'm not to sure about Bose systems though
Old 12-18-2003, 09:02 PM

im planning on spending 500 bucks for starting range. Plan on getting front and rear infinity 63.5i which would run be 90 bucks per pair on ebay, and a Rockford Fosgate 4 channel amp for the speakers (which would run me around 200 or less with friend working in bestbuy). Ill get the tweeters and seperate amp for the tweeters later, but the main reason why I wont get a aftermarket Head unit is because I live in Boston, and like Jersey and NYC, there are sh*t loads stupid people who loves to steal our aftermarket HU, and head lights. The other day some stupid fock broke into my 94 v6 camry to steal my 100 dollar head unit..... . I also want to keep my dash clean and i dont like the aftermarket headunits sticking out.

Im probably going to get the dynamats, and other wires on crutchfield.com if someone has any websites where I can find good wires and dynamats for cheap, Ill appreciate it.

MannyNJ2k2Max - thats some awesome work you put into the sound setup with the stock head unit.

NCTRNL - I never knew a stock headunit will decrease the sound quality, does anyone know how many watts per channel the cheap clarion head units run at?

Awesome info. And yes, MacAlert, the new speakers, and headunit is way better than the BOSE, just ask some org members they hate their BOSE. Payce
Old 12-19-2003, 07:41 AM

I actually like my BOSE. I want to keep the same HU but don't have the funds for a new amp. Anything to improve the sound quality.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by MacAlert
I actually like my BOSE. I want to keep the same HU but don't have the funds for a new amp. Anything to improve the sound quality.
I heard that the BOSE system produces more boom boom than sound quality, Bose are way better than the stocks, but an AMP is a good choice if you want to improve sound quality over the bass. YOu can get a pretty good Rockford or Kicker AMp on fleabay pretty cheap. YOu can try that, or get new speakers, thats something you can think about. Yeah, the stock headunits are clean, I wouldnt change the headunit either. Just read about changing the LEDS on the dash to match the Titanium LEDS... I am still waiting for someone to write up a how to on that....

So back to my question, if I dont change my HEadunit, what is the best audio configuration I can do for my car?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:14 AM

"I never knew a stock headunit will decrease the sound quality, does anyone know how many watts per channel the cheap clarion head units run at?"

This does not matter because you are using an amplifier to power your speakers- all you are getting from the HU is the remote signal
Old 12-19-2003, 10:28 AM

I am running upgraded infinity speakers in my 2K max with the stock head unit. The deck is basic non Bose, with a factory 6 disk in dash setup. The sound is pretty good, and much improved over the factory speakers. When I want it REALLY LOUD, I wish I had an amp driving the speakers though.

The bass is crisp and clean wtih the 12W6 JL woofer, and 500W JL amp, plenty to make the vision blurry!

The stereo guys keep trying to sell me an aftermarket head unit, but I am quite happy with the factory setup. I'm not doing stereo competitions, so it works fine for me.

Good Luck,

Jason
Old 12-19-2003, 12:32 PM

i installed my cdt components and coaxes in my max last week. im waiting for my h/u to come in but for now its on the stock non-bose in my 2k2. sounds 100x better. do i recommend this? course not. but for now it sounds soo much better. and i have a 250 watt amp hooked up to this h/u and if i put it past volume 20 it shuts off. so if you are gonna amp you car get a new h/u.
Old 12-19-2003, 02:58 PM

changing the head unit sounds so much better. After I changed the head unit in my 93 max with stock speakers it sounded great! way better than BOSE.
Old 12-19-2003, 03:03 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
changing the head unit sounds so much better. After I changed the head unit in my 93 max with stock speakers it sounded great! way better than BOSE.
I guess if you never replace the Headunit, you will never know how much better it will sound...ignorance is bliss...
Old 12-19-2003, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by frencjas
I am running upgraded infinity speakers in my 2K max with the stock head unit. The deck is basic non Bose, with a factory 6 disk in dash setup. The sound is pretty good, and much improved over the factory speakers. When I want it REALLY LOUD, I wish I had an amp driving the speakers though.

The bass is crisp and clean wtih the 12W6 JL woofer, and 500W JL amp, plenty to make the vision blurry!

The stereo guys keep trying to sell me an aftermarket head unit, but I am quite happy with the factory setup. I'm not doing stereo competitions, so it works fine for me.

Good Luck,

Jason
Its all a matter of choice-

I've been there done that- I've ran 8 subs @ 1/2 ohm on my previous cars but
now I drive a Maxima

So basically I had the amps laying around (bought the Subs -my SoloBaric 's stitching was coming off so I junked it) and purchased some components-

Its sounds great! Will it win SPL competitions? Nope

But it sounds great, it bumps hard (my wife tells me she can hear me down the street) And my components are crystal clear on CD w/stock HU
Yes it could sound better w/ an aftermarket HU but still wouldn't be louder-
Sometimes I miss the tuneability(from my old Alpine HU) but hey I got crossovers on my amps so who cares- and bass remote control on my sub amp

I rather have the convenience of the stereo mounted controls (which i'm accustomed to) and not have a HU sticking out of my dash- plus its stealth
and less likely to have someone break into your car because of a radio-
which would lead them to find my other audio components-