5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Has anyone got their Recall letter???

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2003, 03:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Has anyone got their Recall letter???

Or had the work done to your car?

I have not gotten a letter yet, nor have a few other people I've talked to.
It doesn't appear to be a topic on anyone mind lately, or that I've seen in my limited searching.
Old 12-23-2003, 03:41 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

recall on what? Nissan SUX for sending out recall letters. You need to do the research on your own. the only letter i got was for that stupid data dots crap for cars in the NE....

I brought my car back for the BLOSE $hitty radio..i need to go back and get #3
REAR window TSB..Again..on my own..
and next is the clutch TSB. this should be fun with my mods..

EDIT...WHOOPS...forgot about the hood rattle...

Old 12-23-2003, 03:50 PM

I've never received any letter from Nissan except for a survey on my experience when I bought my Maxima.

~limsandy
Old 12-23-2003, 04:17 PM

no letter here, freaking bastards
Old 12-23-2003, 04:30 PM

The recall isn't even listed on the Nissan website.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:39 PM

ENGINE SENSOR PDF#3

for those of you who don't want to wait for the letter in the mail, on the PDF linked above, print out the last page "customer letter" ... its the exact same thing as to what you guys will receive in the mail, and take it into your dealer...
Old 12-23-2003, 04:53 PM

I called the Nissan dealership yesterday and they told me that it wasnt a recall, just TSB that they DONT (he made this very "clear") have do do a damn thing for. He was a complete jerk.

To clarify for me: Exactly how does a TSB work? If I go down there with the TSB's printed out, is there a guarantee that it will be fixed at no cost to me because of the bulletin? I'd like to hear how they work exactly from someone other than the a$$hole Nissan Service jerk. Thanks guys
Old 12-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Burn Dust. Eat my rubber.

Originally Posted by bigdo26
I called the Nissan dealership yesterday and they told me that it wasnt a recall, just TSB that they DONT (he made this very "clear") have do do a damn thing for. He was a complete jerk.

To clarify for me: Exactly how does a TSB work? If I go down there with the TSB's printed out, is there a guarantee that it will be fixed at no cost to me because of the bulletin? I'd like to hear how they work exactly from someone other than the a$$hole Nissan Service jerk. Thanks guys

How the hell do you guys get them to actually do the TSB's??? I tend to take the passive approach...should I be a bit more aggressive with printed TSB's or something???
Old 12-23-2003, 05:07 PM

According to the link provoided by jattmax, it is something that is related to the safty of the vehicle and is a voluntary recall. I'm sure that Nissan would get the pants sued off them if somebody has a fatal accident due to the engine quitting on the highway or something. The dealership might not be fully informed or somebody is blowing smoke.

EDIT
Nissan has determined that some 2000-2003 model year Nissan vehicles may have a
defect which relates to motor vehicle safety. The engine might stop running while being
driven if the crank position sensor or cam position sensor fails. This may also result in the
“Service Engine Soon” light coming on or reduced engine power. If the engine stops
running while driving, this could result in a crash without warning.
Old 12-23-2003, 05:14 PM

im sorry to hear about all the trouble you guys are getting... i work for a nissan dealership (network administrator) so thats how I got my hand on those documents before they started mailing notices...

read the section where it says "dealer responsibility" it "clearly" states what the dealer is supposed to do... if you scroll down to the owners letter, it again clearly states that the work performed will be "free" of charge to the customer. Lastly, in the customer letter, it has instructions for what to do when the dealer will not comply, along with address and contact phone numbers.

Please give these things a try, I know some dealers can be complete *******es, show them you did your homework and know what you are talking about. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me...

Harjot - harjot@harjothundal.com - 707.689.0646 - AIM: joti906
Old 12-23-2003, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by maximaman777

It doesn't appear to be a topic on anyone mind lately, or that I've seen in my limited searching.
I have not received a letter and I have not had it done to my car yet. My VIN is included in the affected cars.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:35 PM

I should have been more specific in my post. For those of you who don't know about the recall it's for all 02&03's and maybe some earlier 5th gens as well.

The link below also has info.
http://www.infinitihelp.com/Nissan/N...ne%20Recal.htm

Thanks jattmax, that info will be very helpful to all of us!
Old 12-23-2003, 06:37 PM
PAPA SMURF

no recall letters here except for data dots bs

no probs either

Old 12-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Ya I'm gonna call back tomorrow. It seems like the guy I talked to was on a power trip and didnt want to realize that I too know a few things about Maximas (imagine that a car owner tho is INTERESTED in his car! haha)

Thanks for the help, if I come across any issues, I'll drop ya an IM. Glad to have someone wtih connectinos here
Old 12-23-2003, 08:16 PM

Got it done

Originally Posted by maximaman777

I actually fell victim to the problem over the weekend, and dropped off my car monday morning. They replaced the cam position sensor at no cost. It's such a new recall that I beileve many of the service guys are not even up to speed with it.

My symptoms were:
1) Took waaaay too long to start the car, like 20 cranks. Then the SES lite came on.

2) at freeway speeds, had to floor the car to get it to move faster.

Since the repairs, starts normally and all the power is back.
Old 12-24-2003, 01:38 AM

the recall is only for the 2k2 or does it include other years?
Old 12-24-2003, 01:46 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

Originally Posted by 30585
the recall is only for the 2k2 or does it include other years?
Applied Vehicles:

2000-03 Sentra (B15)
2002 Altima (L31)
2002-03 Maxima (A33)
2003 Murano (Z50)
2003 350Z (Z33)

Applied Vins:

Sentra
3N1*B*1**YL 000201 - 385976
3N1*B*1**1L 004135 - 525647
3N1*B*1**2L 550003 - 730181
3N1*B*1**3L 556548 - 730379

Altima
1N4AL11**2C100030 - 718759
1N4BL11**2C100029 - 718752

Maxima
JN1DA*1**2T 000002 - 454681
JN1DA*1**3T 400002 - 515067

Murano
JN8AZ08T*3W 100007 - 100032
JN8AZ08W*3W 200005 - 200071

350Z
JN1AZ*4**3T 000001 - 100167

Applied Engines
QG18DE, QR25DE, VQ35DE
Old 12-24-2003, 05:31 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Uninformed Service Rep.

TSB, information about common problems, at dealers discretion upon duplicating symptom(s) to have 'warranty' work performed to vehicle. Granted car falls within 5yr/60K powertrain warranty period. With Nissan, TSBs are only found in general methods, available to public.

Please read on.

Campaign, voluntary recall posted by manufacturer, letters sent out, and with NISSAN, on the spot VIN check at dealership service area will reveal if any campaigns pertain to your car.

People on Maxima.org need to really simmer down about 'stealerships'
granted some dealerships are crooks, but when I took the job at Nissan, I had experience as a customer, as a technician, and parts knowledge. I have NISSANs in my family and I own 3 NISSAN products currently. I've seriously tried hard to inform customers, and thats why my CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) is 100.0% Ask any service rep at NISSAN what a CSI of 100.0% means ?
I don't need to be an A$$hole to anyone, but when you deal with the wrong people at a dealership, yeah I understand you as a 'customer' cause I've been there. Don't have to bash the dealership cause of the wrong people.

Old 12-24-2003, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by maximum_rpm_nyc
Uninformed Service Rep.

I don't need to be an A$$hole to anyone, but when you deal with the wrong people at a dealership, yeah I understand you as a 'customer' cause I've been there. Don't have to bash the dealership cause of the wrong people.

Good Post - and great thread.

Thanks to Jattmax for posting this .pdf for us to have and take to the dealerships.

My dealership (Troncalli of Decatur) here in the ATL wasn't aware of the ECU Hesitation TSB when I took it there for the upgrade, but I gave them the TSB and they did with no questions asked.
Likely, I'll do the same with this one.

Finding the right dealership is the key.

And, yes -- they do BACKFLIPS to hit that 100% satisfaction mark.
Help them do THAT, and you'll have a friend at the Nissan Dealer for life -- it's how they make their $$$ and keep their status with Nissan.

gr
Old 12-24-2003, 06:36 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
Good Post - and great thread.

Thanks to Jattmax for posting this .pdf for us to have and take to the dealerships.

My dealership (Troncalli of Decatur) here in the ATL wasn't aware of the ECU Hesitation TSB when I took it there for the upgrade, but I gave them the TSB and they did with no questions asked.
Likely, I'll do the same with this one.

Finding the right dealership is the key.

And, yes -- they do BACKFLIPS to hit that 100% satisfaction mark.
Help them do THAT, and you'll have a friend at the Nissan Dealer for life -- it's how they make their $$$ and keep their status with Nissan.

gr

Thanks.

Old 12-24-2003, 08:38 AM

When I took my max to Quirk Nissan was probably the biggest nissan dealer in my State. They were a bit hesitant on the ECU TSB, but they did it with no questions asked. It was a long wait, but they did it for me. When they were done the customer rep walked me to my car. ( ) He then saw my maxima.org license plate and said "so that’s where you get your TSBs?" He was a nice man in the 50s, who knew he Nissan stuff. He was really nice to talk to.

Anyone who needs work done and who is around BOSTON should go to the Quirk Dealership in Quincy. They just moved into a new place the garage is so huge filled with so much new high tech equipment... thats what they told me
Old 12-24-2003, 09:13 AM
Banned

Great! more TSB's to deal with!
Old 12-24-2003, 09:52 AM

Thanks for the clarification. So chances are if I go in with the TSB for say windnoise and the Bose cutouts, they'll perform the services, no questions, and no $ exchanged, correct? The crankshafts position sensor problem is a recall (voluntary, but recall none the less) so that will be covered definatly, and I'd like to get my other minor issues taken care of.
Old 12-24-2003, 10:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by maximum_rpm_nyc
People on Maxima.org need to really simmer down about 'stealerships'
granted some dealerships are crooks, but when I took the job at Nissan, I had experience as a customer, as a technician, and parts knowledge. I have NISSANs in my family and I own 3 NISSAN products currently. I've seriously tried hard to inform customers, and thats why my CSI (Customer Satisfaction Index) is 100.0% Ask any service rep at NISSAN what a CSI of 100.0% means ?
Maybe I'll come see you when I have problems than... I'd love to have a service rep who understands my pain and won't give me the runaround BS
Old 12-24-2003, 11:00 AM

[I]
I have never recieved a letter from nissan about any of the recall. I just took the car in based on info I found on the org , and got the work done. I'm not sure of the approach some of you guys use but if you go in to the dealership demanding something, chances are they will give you an attitude. I got my traverse link done and just two weeks ago my rear window wind noise done free of charge. Put yourself in the service managers shoes would you want someone coming in with anattitude to you about work you"want "done ? While they are nissan dealers, they really don't represent nissan the just sell nissan products. The trouble you will go through trying to sue a dealer for work done is not even worth the effort to you unless you're filty rich. Just try using some more people skills and you should be ok.
Old 12-24-2003, 11:20 PM
maximum_rpm_nyc

VQPowerSE, TSBs = not a big deal. Campaigns = BIG DEAL.

Bigdo26,

Richspidizzy, anytime man, call me up on Saturday at Star's Service Dept. or stop by.
When you see the 300ZX Polished Brakes, you'll know who I am.

Old 12-25-2003, 09:32 AM

It is good to know that we have guys like jattmax and maximum-rpm-nyc here. They keep us informed and provide us with another view of how we, consumers, perceive of car dealerships and their service depts. I'm sure there are good and bad dealerships, and so far, the dealership I have been using seems decent, although it is always fully booked.

Maximum-rpm, do you only work on Saturdays? My understanding is that they don't do electrical or other sophisticated work on Saturdays.
Old 12-25-2003, 10:03 PM

Originally Posted by kenny
...I'm sure there are good and bad dealerships, and so far, the dealership I have been using seems decent, although it is always fully booked...
What dealer have you been going to if you don't mind me asking?
Old 12-25-2003, 10:49 PM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by kenny
It is good to know that we have guys like jattmax and maximum-rpm-nyc here. They keep us informed and provide us with another view of how we, consumers, perceive of car dealerships and their service depts. I'm sure there are good and bad dealerships, and so far, the dealership I have been using seems decent, although it is always fully booked.

Maximum-rpm, do you only work on Saturdays? My understanding is that they don't do electrical or other sophisticated work on Saturdays.
I alternate Saturdays with other Service reps.
Saturday are wild card days. Instead of the normal 15 techs, we have 4-8 techs on Sat. Sometimes we book 60+ appointments.
Most consist of oil changes, some of the oil changes end up as brake jobs or 'major' work.
Electrical work is handled by 3 techs who have experience with Nissan's systems, none work on Saturdays. As for sophisticated work, depends. Try not to get into MIL Lamp diagnosis, since most of the appointments made for Saturday wait for their cars. If you can leave your car from 7:30am til 4pm, I'm sure one of my techs can check it out. I can't make promises on how prompt and as for labor, I try my best not to break people's wallets.

Old 12-25-2003, 11:44 PM

i dont know about other dealerships, but at the dealership i manage, our service advisors have the option to make their own pricing... meaning, if a regular oil change is 30 bux (just an example) they have the ability to bring it lower to satisfy the customer, so maybe this will make u guys think twice when u wanna blow your fuse on an advisor... i've seen it from both sides, customer, and then the dealer... but keep in mind guys, just cause its a nissan dealership doesn't mean the dealer makes said cars, we just sell em...
Old 12-25-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
i dont know about other dealerships, but at the dealership i manage, our service advisors have the option to make their own pricing... meaning, if a regular oil change is 30 bux (just an example) they have the ability to bring it lower to satisfy the customer, so maybe this will make u guys think twice when u wanna blow your fuse on an advisor... i've seen it from both sides, customer, and then the dealer... but keep in mind guys, just cause its a nissan dealership doesn't mean the dealer makes said cars, we just sell em...
also, anyone need service, parts, or a tech to look at ur ride in the northern cali area, hit me up... i take care of my peeps
Old 12-26-2003, 05:43 AM

I got my letter about a month and a half ago. I went to the dealer and they said they had to put me on a wait list because of all the people that came in with their letters. Bullsh_t if you ask me. I know there are a lot of us around but damn, Almost 2 months. With my luck mine will get stolen while Im waiting for them damn data dots and the damn bolts.
Old 12-26-2003, 05:47 AM
maximum_rpm_nyc

Originally Posted by jattmax
I've always used Express pricing. Lots of Goodwill. Plenty of Internals w/ permission from showroom.

Old 12-26-2003, 11:51 AM

I took care of mine...

I went to Capitol Nissan in San Jose on 24th and did both - the lack of power TSB and the Sensors Recall. I had to bring the paperwork/pdf file with me to show it to the dealer but i'm sure he would have done in even without it because as soon as he entered the VIN# in the computer the recall notice popped up.
The lack of power TSB - i didn't even show him the document, i left it on the seat and told him that my car feels underpowered sometimes.
Only 2 1/2 hours later they called me and said that my car is ready with both updates done on it. The dealer was very friendly, prompt and with a smile. I was pleasantly surprised. Next week i am going for the Wind noise TSB and the Hood vibration.(as soon as they get the parts kit for the wind noise)

Car drives much better now and i do see a difference in engine smoothnes and power delivery.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Wat

i made my appt to get it fixed, i will keep yall posted
Old 12-26-2003, 09:57 PM

I made my appointment to get it fixed as well. They were actually very friendly this time
Old 12-27-2003, 07:27 AM

Hey BigDog,

I also live in NH. what dealer did you speak to about the recall? Hopefully it wasn't the one I go to.
Old 12-27-2003, 08:05 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by sweeper
I actually fell victim to the problem over the weekend, and dropped off my car monday morning. They replaced the cam position sensor at no cost. It's such a new recall that I beileve many of the service guys are not even up to speed with it.

My symptoms were:
1) Took waaaay too long to start the car, like 20 cranks. Then the SES lite came on.

2) at freeway speeds, had to floor the car to get it to move faster.

Since the repairs, starts normally and all the power is back.

Damn...that's definitely not a safe condition to be driving around in...

Nissan needs to get off their a$$es and start sending out those letters.
Old 12-27-2003, 09:12 AM

I asked my dealer about the recall and he said we could schedule an appointment to do it no problem
Old 12-27-2003, 09:13 AM

I just bought this 03 a few weeks ago. Are there any other major recalls i should worry about?
Let me know
Thanks

Quick Reply: Has anyone got their Recall letter???