5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

$150 for a new key???? Any alternatives?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2003, 02:28 PM

$150 for a new key???? Any alternatives?

Recently broke my only key and it won't stay on my keychain. I figured I would upgrade to an AE key and just go get it programmed since I need to have more than one key. I called the dealership to see the cost of programming it and they told me $110!!! There has to be another alternative. Anyone know?
Old 12-26-2003, 02:33 PM

Yea. "Lesson 1: (how to hot wire 2000 Nissan Maximas)"

I haven't heard of a way to get cheaper keys.
You can always get a Keyfob from Ebay for like $10 and program it urself.
I have never seen any key reprogram manuals around.
SORRY I CAN'T HELP!
Old 12-26-2003, 02:51 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by dentonmax00
Recently broke my only key and it won't stay on my keychain. I figured I would upgrade to an AE key and just go get it programmed since I need to have more than one key. I called the dealership to see the cost of programming it and they told me $110!!! There has to be another alternative. Anyone know?
you have 2 keys right just use the other one. I broke one of my keys and just used the other one. Of coarse you can also drill a hole in key and attach to keychain that's what I did.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:30 PM

Nope I just bought the car about a month ago and only got one key. I thought about the drilling thing but I am trying not to have a jacked up looking key with such a nice looking car. Looks like I am going to just be out the $150. I am going to check out the ebay thing mentioned above though.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:38 PM
Go BUCKS!!!

Nope I just bought the car about a month ago and only got one key. I thought about the drilling thing but I am trying not to have a jacked up looking key with such a nice looking car. Looks like I am going to just be out the $150. I am going to check out the ebay thing mentioned above though.

You shold go back to the dealership that your purchased your car from and request they get you a spare key. Even when buying a used car, you should request the dealership supply two sets of keys. If you have a good relationship with your salesperson, they shouldn't put up much of a fuss, or may get you a better deal than the $150 at least. I know when I sold cars, I would try to get a spare set for my customers if they asked. Worth a shot anyways.
Old 12-26-2003, 03:45 PM
Moderator GT-R

You can get blanks here:
http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=H0564-2Y900

That is about the same price that I paid at Bankston Nissan in Lewisville. They charged me $70.00 to program three keys and two fobs. That was about a year ago.
Old 12-26-2003, 04:12 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

if you got it from a dealership they should of gave you three keys. 2 black keys and one red/maroon key which is a valet key.
Old 12-26-2003, 07:56 PM

That is an extremely inflated price just to program a key. Get the AE blank somewhere else, get it cut, then the dealer should be able to program the key for $40. That is how much my dealership charges. Better yet, go to your original salesperson and they should be able to hook you up on the programming. Just tell him or her you will refer other people to them. They program the key with an OBD-II I think.
Old 12-26-2003, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Call Dave B up and he can get you the AE key cheap... If you have your key code he can even cut the key for you... Then you take your key to a Nissan Dealership cause they have to hook up the consult to it and reprogram the car to recognize the new key and your original key. I'd almost go ahead and do two of them cause it didnt cost me any more to program an extra key. Hope this helps
Old 12-26-2003, 09:19 PM

Dealers usually have another set of keys. When i bought my max used i complained i wanted two sets of keys and remotes and they ended up giving me three pairs in all so i was pleased. My say would be just call up to see what they can do.
Old 12-27-2003, 01:01 AM

bro, thats a huge ripoff... i work for a dealer, my cost was 25 something... programming takes but seconds... dont let the dealer do this to you...
Old 12-27-2003, 01:15 AM

is it sensors in the key that touch the ignition or something? I also was curious how it worked exactly. My key broke also and i was thinking to myself, "maybe if i duct taped the key inside the ignition housing it would be close enough to give off the signal, then i could make some home depot copies for $2 a pop." Can anyone tell me how this system works?
Old 12-27-2003, 01:58 AM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
is it sensors in the key that touch the ignition or something? I also was curious how it worked exactly. My key broke also and i was thinking to myself, "maybe if i duct taped the key inside the ignition housing it would be close enough to give off the signal, then i could make some home depot copies for $2 a pop." Can anyone tell me how this system works?

Why don't you tape a sign on the window saying security systems by-passed jam screwdriver in to steal. Lets see buy new key $140. Try to retrive stolen car for being stupid...you be the judge.
Old 12-27-2003, 07:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by MyownNismo
Why don't you tape a sign on the window saying security systems by-passed jam screwdriver in to steal. Lets see buy new key $140. Try to retrive stolen car for being stupid...you be the judge.
go to http://www.nvo.com/chipkeys/nissankeys/

buy the key then go ot ur dealer. It should cost u no more then $30. ITs no AE key but it comes out to $50.
Old 12-28-2003, 04:48 AM

Originally Posted by glen1685
Dealers usually have another set of keys. When i bought my max used i complained i wanted two sets of keys and remotes and they ended up giving me three pairs in all so i was pleased. My say would be just call up to see what they can do.
once they sell the car, they have to, by law, give you all the keys. dealers do not keep their own copies otherwise they'd run out of room and get fines left and right up their a$$es... they probably cut you another one...
Old 12-28-2003, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by MyownNismo

I suggest you take that remark back. I was being sarcastic. Anyways, my question was how the system worked.
Old 12-28-2003, 10:44 PM
...needs to please stop post whoring.

i heard its only like 20-30 bucks to program it? wtf

try somewhere else
Old 12-28-2003, 10:56 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Originally Posted by NYCe MaXiMa
i heard its only like 20-30 bucks to program it? wtf

try somewhere else

Old 12-28-2003, 11:22 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
I suggest you take that remark back. I was being sarcastic. Anyways, my question was how the system worked.
The key has a frequency and once it's close enough to the ignition it allows to start. If you where to get a remote starter you get this box with a wire that wraps around the ignition and you put a key in the box to give the frequency. Why would you joke about something that protects your car from being stolen.
Old 12-29-2003, 12:16 AM
teddibear703

here is the magical solution: i somehow lost all my keys except for one. One day i was throwing my keys in the air and catching them(trying to throw it as high as possible) and missed the catch, and it broke the top part with the loop. hahaha... anyways i didnt want to buy a new key so what i did was i drilled the key with a small bit, just large enough so i can put it through a key ring. just make sure you drill the side away from the chip... and you just saved yourself 100 bucks!..... hehe
Old 12-29-2003, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by teddibear703
here is the magical solution: i somehow lost all my keys except for one. One day i was throwing my keys in the air and catching them(trying to throw it as high as possible) and missed the catch, and it broke the top part with the loop. hahaha... anyways i didnt want to buy a new key so what i did was i drilled the key with a small bit, just large enough so i can put it through a key ring. just make sure you drill the side away from the chip... and you just saved yourself 100 bucks!..... hehe
that max is pimpin !!