5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

lots 'o knocking, but no error code

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 06:01 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

lots 'o knocking, but no error code

Even with Chevron Supreme, I get a bit of knocking on hard acceleration. If I use Mobil or, say, Shell supreme, the knocking is even worse. Sometimes to the point of a bad hesitation on hard acceleration. I can't even imagine what would happen if I used mid-grade. I just got my annual last month and all codes were in the green, so I'm stumped as to what's causing this. If the knock sensor failed, the inspection would've show that right?

Do I just need to clean my injectors? Some posts on this forum suggested possible fuel pump/filter issues, but that was with check engine light on. Again, I've had no "check engine" issues with the car. Gas milage is fine. Acceleration is usually sufficient. It's just that damn knock I can't get rid of.

thanks in advance, jB

2000 GXE 5-spd
59k miles
Old 12-29-2003, 06:58 AM

Originally Posted by rubbertoad
Even with Chevron Supreme, I get a bit of knocking on hard acceleration. If I use Mobil or, say, Shell supreme, the knocking is even worse. Sometimes to the point of a bad hesitation on hard acceleration. I can't even imagine what would happen if I used mid-grade. I just got my annual last month and all codes were in the green, so I'm stumped as to what's causing this. If the knock sensor failed, the inspection would've show that right?

Do I just need to clean my injectors? Some posts on this forum suggested possible fuel pump/filter issues, but that was with check engine light on. Again, I've had no "check engine" issues with the car. Gas milage is fine. Acceleration is usually sufficient. It's just that damn knock I can't get rid of.

thanks in advance, jB

2000 GXE 5-spd
59k miles
I was having this same problem at 62k. It was a bad coil, but not completely bad, that's why you haven't had any codes thrown yet. Here's what worked for me in fixing it. I took out all my spark plugs, the one that looked the most different, I replaced the coil on that cylinder, haven't had a problem since.

Some recommend just replacing all the coils at once, but I'm glad I didn't, since it saved me $250 just to go with one.
Old 12-29-2003, 07:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

that actually makes a lot of sense. Didn't think of that. Thanks!
Old 12-29-2003, 07:07 AM

my car has been knocking in the morning. It's cold here in DC... but i didnt have this problem back when i was in ATL.... I hope it's not the coils.. im at 59k also..