5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Rear Deck?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Rear Deck?

Anyone have a walk through for talking apart the rear deck. I was planning to put some eggcrates there so that it would stop rattling.
Old 12-29-2003, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by bdog
Anyone have a walk through for talking apart the rear deck. I was planning to put some eggcrates there so that it would stop rattling.
Welp, I don't think I've seen a walk through. But I've done it, you have to remove the back seat, then remove all the plastic covering on the rear seat back. Then pop the tabs out, plus unbolt your seatbelts. It's not fun. I recommend just getting so cheap foam, and stuffing through the hole where the bose sub is.
Old 12-29-2003, 02:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's not THAT bad... just a little time consuming. A power screwdriver makes the job quicker. It's worth it if you want everything to sound good.
I think I need to do this to mine now. I've been noticing my rear deck rattles a lot more than when I first installed my subwoofers. Guess the components in the rear deck soften/loosen up over time, especially with persistent bass passing through them...
Old 12-29-2003, 02:07 PM

I definatly know there is a walk through. I was going to do it over the summer and someone gave me a walk through but, I never had time to do it and I don't have the walkthrough any more .
Old 12-29-2003, 03:04 PM
BiggD23

First things first, egg crates are not going to fix the rattling problem. I've been through this argument enough so I'm not looking to get into it again, but just take my word for it. If you don't believe me, send a PM to org member housecor. He started a thread about this topic a few weeks back and he came to the same conclusion that I did after fixing mine. It is not the carpeted rear deck itself that is rattling, so simply tightening the deck up with foam will not fix the problem. The rattling is coming from various metal on metal surfaces (the Bose deck on the main deck in particular) and plastic pieces under the carpeted deck. The only way to fix the rattle is to tear the rear deck apart down to the metal and lay down some Dynamat or Tsunami sound deadener. I wasted 1/2 day trying the bed foam trick, it simply doesn't work.

Now, as for the write up. I have a Word document with pix that I saved to help me when I did mine. If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.

Old 12-29-2003, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by BiggD23
First things first, egg crates are not going to fix the rattling problem. I've been through this argument enough so I'm not looking to get into it again, but just take my word for it. If you don't believe me, send a PM to org member housecor. He started a thread about this topic a few weeks back and he came to the same conclusion that I did after fixing mine. It is not the carpeted rear deck itself that is rattling, so simply tightening the deck up with foam will not fix the problem. The rattling is coming from various metal on metal surfaces (the Bose deck on the main deck in particular) and plastic pieces under the carpeted deck. The only way to fix the rattle is to tear the rear deck apart down to the metal and lay down some Dynamat or Tsunami sound deadener. I wasted 1/2 day trying the bed foam trick, it simply doesn't work.

Now, as for the write up. I have a Word document with pix that I saved to help me when I did mine. If you'd like a copy send me a PM with your email and I'll send it to you.
Not to be contradictory, but it worked for the rattle that I was having.
Old 12-29-2003, 05:48 PM

I should have been more clear when I was asking for help. First off I appreciate all advice everyone is giving me. Next I do not have the boss system and my whole trunk has 2 lawyers of dynamat. The only thing left rattling is is the rear deck. I needed a walk through because I planed to dynamat all metal pieces and then finish off with putting eggcrates on the bottom portion of the deck. So agaiin if you can tell me how you took your deck apart I would appreciate it.

Thanks