5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

enigine knock/pinging sound

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 11:51 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

enigine knock/pinging sound

I am new to this site so not sure if this is entered in the corredct spot.
I have a 2k2 with 38k and change. I use sunnocco 94 octane fuel. I am getting engine ping/knock between 1800-2200 rpm. It is bothering me because the one time I had the car in the dealer said they could not hear it. But I suspect they jsut had it in on the garage floor reving the enging. It only does it with the engine under load and most noticibly when climing up a hill. It will also do it out on the highway about 80 mph and bury it. It almost sound like a rattle or something loose in the motor. Any comments or suggestions.

thanks
Old 12-30-2003, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by miksen
I have a 2k2 with 38k and change. I use sunnocco 94 octane fuel. I am getting engine ping/knock between 1800-2200 rpm. It is bothering me because the one time I had the car in the dealer said they could not hear it. But I suspect they jsut had it in on the garage floor reving the enging. It only does it with the engine under load and most noticibly when climing up a hill. It will also do it out on the highway about 80 mph and bury it. It almost sound like a rattle or something loose in the motor. Any comments or suggestions.

thanks
That sounds almst exactly like what mine is doing. Mine only does it when the motor is cold/warming up. After i take her out and run it for a little bit, it wont do it again. But like you said, once i acclerate i can hear the pinging. Anyway i have heard that its bad coils, but no codes yet, and its not bad enough to worry abour right now!
Old 12-30-2003, 01:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RHD MAX
That sounds almst exactly like what mine is doing. Mine only does it when the motor is cold/warming up. After i take her out and run it for a little bit, it wont do it again. But like you said, once i acclerate i can hear the pinging. Anyway i have heard that its bad coils, but no codes yet, and its not bad enough to worry abour right now!
Hey where did you get that grill for your 3rd gen and the UK corners?
Old 12-30-2003, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2k3TitaniumSe
Hey where did you get that grill for your 3rd gen and the UK corners?
That is a UK maxima, and the UK corners were sold awhile ago. Im not in the UK anymore so i cant get ahold of them either! sorry
Old 12-30-2003, 01:31 PM

thanks
Myself and a few others have the same problem but as yet there are no answers to the problem. Nissan says it's normal which I think is I have an 03SE with an Injen, Y & B pipe and I've only got 10K on it and I get knocking at the same RPM range as you. I think you'll be for a while until there are some good answers. There are a lot of very knowledgeable people here and hopefully someone will figure it out. I'm sure working on it because it is frustrating as he!!.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:31 PM

thanks
I have the exact same problem and I have had it checked out by the dealer twice and they said they could not feel it. Between 1800-2200 there is a vibration and an overall harshness in that band. Any higher or lower and it is silky smooth. It probably isn't a big problem but it is kinda annoying.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:39 PM
twist

I have the same problem with my max. I have a 00 SE w/only 23,570 miles. Its really frustrating. I think im going to have to get my ECU scanned, just got my check engine light on today. Hopefully scanning and fixing will help.

Old 12-30-2003, 02:49 PM

I have the same problem..its not a loud pinging sound, but you can def. hear it...I have an 03 with less than 6,000 miles on it.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:09 PM

its your coils
Old 12-30-2003, 05:28 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by Lawrenceismynam
its your coils
its not his coils

coils problems were on the 2K, 2K1's.

alot of 3.5 owners are experiencing the pinging problem and NNA is aware of the problem. Just call NNA and make a file about your problem in case something happens down the road.
Old 12-31-2003, 06:58 AM

Dammit... I have the same problem! And I've posted about this before but got no answers. Took it to the dealership.... no answer. Guess we have to live w/ it. only have 24k on my 03.
Old 12-31-2003, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by maximadave
its not his coils

alot of 3.5 owners are experiencing the pinging problem and NNA is aware of the problem. Just call NNA and make a file about your problem in case something happens down the road.
So what are they going to do about it??? It sounds like my valves are goig to fall into the cylinder head soon. It sucks and makes the max sound like a POS!!!! I'm glad that they are aware of the problem but that doesn't do do crap for me. What is the number for NNA?? I need to give them a call to get my complaint on record. I think the problem is bigger that thought because of 1: most people not understanding what ithe problem is and 2: unless your driving with your radio and fan off you'd never hear it. This problem is gong to f***ing drive me crazy. I'll be on the org. about this until it gets resolved because a lot of org. memebers have the same problem and it is NOT NORMAL
Old 12-31-2003, 08:53 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I agree with you 100% on this, believe me.

call 1-800-NISSAN-1 and complain about your problem. Tell them you have talked to 100's of other Maxima owners on a forum site (don't mention the org without Kev's permission) and are experiencing the same problem.

Take you Max to the dealer and have all the updated TSB's done.

Try and use some BG44K fuel injector cleaner (might help a little bit on the pinging)
Old 12-31-2003, 09:02 AM

I agree with you 100% on this, believe me.

call 1-800-NISSAN-1 and complain about your problem. Tell them you have talked to 100's of other Maxima owners on a forum site (don't mention the org without Kev's permission) and are experiencing the same problem.

Take you Max to the dealer and have all the updated TSB's done.

Try and use some BG44K fuel injector cleaner (might help a little bit on the pinging)
Thanks!!! What was the production date on your car?? Mine is 7/02 for whatever it's worth.
Old 12-31-2003, 09:24 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

Originally Posted by kcowden
Thanks!!! What was the production date on your car?? Mine is 7/02 for whatever it's worth.
02/02..........
Old 12-31-2003, 09:43 AM

I think that, at least in part, the quality and composition of the fuel one uses affects this problem. For example, the fuel in my area contains no 'emissions' additives like MBTE that may affect burn rate and power production qualitities of the fuel. I have no pinging on my 2k3.

Any carbon that may accumulate on the pistion crowns will certainly increase the need for higher fuel octane and the sensitivity for pinging. Personally, I use Techron and Schaeffers #131 before every oil change to minimize any carbon build-up and to keep the injecton system clean.

Other than that, Nissan must know the VQ is sensitive to pinging as it is even mentioned in the owners manual that 'slight pinging' may occur and it is normal.
Old 12-31-2003, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by nick778
I think that, at least in part, the quality and composition of the fuel one uses affects this problem. For example, the fuel in my area contains no 'emissions' additives like MBTE that may affect burn rate and power production qualitities of the fuel. I have no pinging on my 2k3.

Any carbon that may accumulate on the pistion crowns will certainly increase the need for higher fuel octane and the sensitivity for pinging. Personally, I use Techron and Schaeffers #131 before every oil change to minimize any carbon build-up and to keep the injecton system clean.

Other than that, Nissan must know the VQ is sensitive to pinging as it is even mentioned in the owners manual that 'slight pinging' may occur and it is normal.
Tried all that wiith no luck, problem has been around since summer, tried all types of 93 gas, no luck. "Sensitive"... that's an understatement. "Slight pinging" I can deal with... the racket that comes from my engine I can't. It's not normal. I've read almost every thread about this and can't figure it out. I'll keep after it untill I get it resolved.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:03 AM

its not his coils

AHHH.....Did not know I could call and log a complain w/ Nissan
Also did not know this was such a common,wide spread problem among 3.5 owners. Thanks for your help on this.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:08 AM

Trying different brands of gas will not make any siginificant difference if the area of the country you are located in has an EPA mandate to add MBTE and other emissions additives to all fuel brands. It appears you are located in the NE and, I can assure you, the fuel there is loaded with this stuff that certainly will increase the tendency of any engine to ping. I'm located in TN and there is no EPA mandate to put these addtives in (thank goodness). I'm not implying this is the only reason the VQ pings but if it has a tendency to ping to begin with, it will only increase with fuel that is loaded with emissions additives and/or has carbon build-up.
Old 12-31-2003, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by kcowden
So what are they going to do about it??? It sounds like my valves are goig to fall into the cylinder head soon. It sucks and makes the max sound like a POS!!!! I'm glad that they are aware of the problem but that doesn't do do crap for me. What is the number for NNA?? I need to give them a call to get my complaint on record. I think the problem is bigger that thought because of 1: most people not understanding what ithe problem is and 2: unless your driving with your radio and fan off you'd never hear it. This problem is gong to f***ing drive me crazy. I'll be on the org. about this until it gets resolved because a lot of org. memebers have the same problem and it is NOT NORMAL
Thanks for your comments. It sucks so many people have this problem. You sound like me driving down the road turning my fan and radio down cause...Shhhh,,, there's that noise again and I'm not crazy.
And you are RIGHT it is NOT NORMAL!!!
Old 12-31-2003, 11:29 AM

Funny, MTBE can cause pinging, yet it's an antiknock additive (right?)...
Good thing there are political motions to ban that ****... (http://www.house.gov/shimkus/mtbe107.html ... although this bill looks old, I wonder if they've reintroduced it)
Old 12-31-2003, 12:00 PM

From my understanding it is an emissions redcution addtive like ethanol, not an antiknock additive. Funny thing is that the fuel industry resisted its introduction due to signigficant incremental costs but the EPA persisted even with many experts disagreeing. It now has proven dubious, at best, as an emission reduction agent (many experts claim it increases emissions of other agents coming out the exhaust) and it has poisonous effects for the environment. Thus, the movement to eliminate it. As far as its effects on knocking/pinging, any oxygenate added to the fuel reduces it power to unit measure and thus will contribute to pinging. Govenment absurdity at its best.
Old 12-31-2003, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by nick778
From my understanding it is an emissions redcution addtive like ethanol, not an antiknock additive. Funny thing is that the fuel industry resisted its introduction due to signigficant incremental costs but the EPA persisted even with many experts disagreeing. It now has proven dubious, at best, as an emission reduction agent (many experts claim it increases emissions of other agents coming out the exhaust) and it has poisonous effects for the environment. Thus, the movement to eliminate it. As far as its effects on knocking/pinging, any oxygenate added to the fuel reduces it power to unit measure and thus will contribute to pinging. Govenment absurdity at its best.
I think Ethanol also raises the antiknock quality of the gasoline, if I recall correctly... And from the text below, so does MTBE.

Here's an excerpt from Part 2 of the Gasoline FAQ (http://www.faqs.org/faqs/autos/gasoline-faq/part2/)
4.5 What are oxygenates?

Oxygenates are just preused hydrocarbons :-). They contain oxygen, which can
not provide energy, but their structure provides a reasonable antiknock
value, thus they are good substitutes for aromatics, and they may also reduce
the smog-forming tendencies of the exhaust gases [15]. Most oxygenates used
in gasolines are either alcohols ( Cx-O-H ) or ethers (Cx-O-Cy), and contain
1 to 6 carbons. Alcohols have been used in gasolines since the 1930s, and
MTBE was first used in commercial gasolines in Italy in 1973, and was first
used in the US by ARCO in 1979. The relative advantages of aromatics and
oxygenates as environmentally-friendly and low toxicity octane-enhancers are
still being researched.
and further down:
Oxygenates that are added to gasoline function in two ways. Firstly they
have high blending octane, and so can replace high octane aromatics
in the fuel. These aromatics are responsible for disproportionate amounts
of CO and HC exhaust emissions. This is called the "aromatic substitution
effect". Oxygenates also cause engines without sophisticated engine
management systems to move to the lean side of stoichiometry, thus reducing
emissions of CO ( 2% oxygen can reduce CO by 16% ) and HC ( 2% oxygen can
reduce HC by 10%) [17], and other researchers have observed similar
reductions also occur when oxygenates are added to reformulated gasolines
on older and newer vehicles, but have also shown that NOx levels may
increase, as also may some regulated toxins [18,19,20].

However, on vehicles with engine management systems, the fuel volume will be
increased to bring the stoichiometry back to the preferred optimum setting.
Oxygen in the fuel can not contribute energy, consequently the fuel has less
energy content. For the same efficiency and power output, more fuel has to
be burnt, and the slight improvements in combustion efficiency that
oxygenates provide on some engines usually do not completely compensate for
the oxygen.
Old 12-31-2003, 03:33 PM

What they are saying is that if you are going to substitute oxygenates for fuel then it has "reasonable" anti-knock qualities. The key word is reasonable and that you are substituting MTBE or ethanol for the preferred fuel. There is a reason that the owners manual says not to use fuels with greater than 10% of this stuff. Given a fuel with or without it, I'll take mine without it please. I've read a lot of other articles on MTBE, etc and it has been nothing short of a fiasco for consumers, industry and the environment.
Old 01-04-2004, 02:06 AM

My car also produces the pinging sound at an RPM range close to what others are experiencing it at. Brought my car to Nissan who state they cannot hear anything. I'm planning to contact NNA to report a complaint. By the way, any of you ask your friend to stand outside and listen for the sound while you drive by? I have and my friend has said that he could hear it LOUD AND CLEAR. This does not seem normal or healthy for any car.
Old 01-04-2004, 08:52 AM

Sorry to go back a little...but what is pinging?...I've recently started to hear a rattling noise...similar to a drum roll ( for the musicians) whenever I step on the gas and the engine starts pulling without downshifting...if i ease of the gas..it disappears...and it doesnt happen past 3K rpm..it starting to sound like an american car. Happened shortly after I changed my 17 inch rim + tires for 16 inch steel rims and winter tires.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:21 PM

One correction. Upon reviewing some material, MTBE does indeed have antiknock qualitities as does ethanol. MTBE has an antiknock index number of 118 while ethanol is 101 (with greater variability in effective knock resistance). Both have no energy producing content like fuel and effectively lower fuel and the engine's power efficiency. Being oxygenates, they have an effect of reducing certain emmissions outputs but MTBE is particularly toxic and many even increase certain other emissions. That, and politics of the agriculture lobby, is why many areas of the country are switching to ethanol (i.e., CT and NY) that had previously used MTBE. All in all, oxygenates are not as effective as alternatives in their antiknock effectiveness but they do reduce certain emissions at the cost of fuel efficiency and engine power output. All in all, I'd still rather be using fuel without oxygenates.
Old 01-04-2004, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by takkar
Sorry to go back a little...but what is pinging?...I've recently started to hear a rattling noise...similar to a drum roll ( for the musicians) whenever I step on the gas and the engine starts pulling without downshifting...if i ease of the gas..it disappears...and it doesnt happen past 3K rpm..it starting to sound like an american car. Happened shortly after I changed my 17 inch rim + tires for 16 inch steel rims and winter tires.
Imagine shaking a tin can with pebbles or BB's inside... That's how one max.org member explained it, which I believe is the best comparison.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:19 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the only way to correct this is for Nissan to come out with different fuel maps that are a little richer at that engine speed. Out of curiousity, has anyone with that Technosquare ECU had this problem? I have a 2000 so I'm not involved here, just speaking from automotive experience.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:21 PM

That is pinging, no doubt... It will be most common when the engine is under heavy load at low rpm (i.e. uphill without downshifting), but it can happen anywhere in the RPM band. Pebbles in a can is best explanation IMHO.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:23 PM

My Max was pinging for a while there. I tried all different brands of gasolines in the hopes that I could find one that solves the problem. Never found one that completely got rid of the pinging, but I eventually took off my Injen intake, and that seemed to resolve the problem. I still get some residual pinging, but that's on a rare occasion.
Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 AM

So the pebbles in a tin thing..is it high pitch or low pitch noise?
Old 01-06-2004, 11:07 AM

So the pebbles in a tin thing..is it high pitch or low pitch noise?
Low pitch, turn off radio & fan and you should be able to hear it as you cruise around.