5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Horrible Valet Parking Experience

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2004, 11:07 AM

Horrible Valet Parking Experience

Last week I valet parked my car at this mall and didn't notice until the next morning, as I washed my car, that the drivers side fender had a dent the size of a frisbee, the side marker cover was cracked and the bumper was very noticeably scratched! I know now that it was undoubtedly the work of the valet f o c k e r s. There were yellow markings that rubbed off the columns within the malls garage. So I traveled back to the mall and explained what happened and they gave me the manager’s number. I called him and this guy who gave me a freaking tough time telling me that there wasn't much he could do since I left the scene after the incident occurred. He asked to find a reasonable estimate for the repair that he could present to the insurance company. The next day I got estimates for two reputable collision companies and the quote came out to approximately $2,000... There is no way I could afford that much to pay for the damages. It's been about four days since, and I haven't heard from him. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I was thinking of contacting a local news station called UPN that does I-News (I standing for investigative) to publicize the bad news and embarrass the crap out of them. They had better cooperate with me!
Old 01-02-2004, 11:16 AM

that's way you dont park valet... Sorry this had to happen but the problem is you left the scene is the insurance might claim you may have did the damage yourself a blame it on the parking lot to get a settlement... Anyway good luck trying to get them to fix it
Old 01-02-2004, 11:27 AM

you should have let them valet park it the day after u seen it and than stayed at the seem and claim that they did it right then and there!!! thats what i wouldof done. but def talk tothe owner and tell him u are going to take him to like small claims or something
Old 01-02-2004, 11:28 AM

This is why I never valet. We went to a wedding over Christmas and I refused to drive there for this very reason...too many horror stories.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:38 AM
PAPA SMURF

ever Watch Ferrus Beuler's Day Off??

nuff said.....

Old 01-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
you should have let them valet park it the day after u seen it and than stayed at the seem and claim that they did it right then and there!!! thats what i wouldof done. but def talk tothe owner and tell him u are going to take him to like small claims or something

This happened at night so it was dark and cold outside... When it's about 30 degrees out you don't worry about your cars health, you want to get in the car and warm up and soon as possible. BTW, one normally doesn't expect a damaged car in return from the valet... But now I know better and definitely don't plan on leaving my car with valet... EVER.
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I worked valet for about 2 years and let me just say its not pretty. Theres nothing worse than a p!ssed off valet runner doggin out your car. not to mention if they need change or gum.

never use valet
Old 01-02-2004, 11:46 AM
PAPA SMURF

hey Sizz, on the bright side-at least they didn't steal your HIDs..

Old 01-02-2004, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by PAPA SMURF
hey Sizz, on the bright side-at least they didn't steal your HIDs..
That I am thankful for, but lets say they did there would be some major a s s-whoopin!! Also, it's something unnoticed, and supposing it happened they would have to pay for it...
Old 01-02-2004, 11:53 AM

you should have let them valet park it the day after u seen it and than stayed at the seem and claim that they did it right then and there!!! thats what i wouldof done.
Quite possibly the dumbest thing said so far and/or ever in this thread. Blame the bad driving of one valet attendant onto an innocent one. 18 year old college kid working to pay the rent on his apartment or working to pay through college himself, and you are going to blame the damage on him, you're a great guy...

After ANYONE other than yourself drives the car, including spouses, friends, parents, etc. ALWAYS do a thorough check of the car to make sure its damage-free. My parents valet-parked our was-new 2001 Suburban and upon getting it back the whole driver side of the vehicle was dented, scratched, and left for dead. Granted, anyone would have noticed it was damaged and the attendant waited around with the license plate of the person who hit him upon driving back to the waiting area.

You could try small claims court but I dont know how far you'll get, you should have checked the vehicle then. I dont know if you off-road with your maxima or what, but i would think it would be easy to see a frisby-sized dent, cracked sidemarker, scatched bumper, and I know your maxima does not come in parking-garage special edition yellow paint, they save that special edition color for the altimas.
Old 01-02-2004, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by PHATMAN5050
Quite possibly the dumbest thing said so far and/or ever in this thread. Blame the bad driving of one valet attendant onto an innocent one. 18 year old college kid working to pay the rent on his apartment or working to pay through college himself, and you are going to blame the damage on him, you're a great guy...

After ANYONE other than yourself drives the car, including spouses, friends, parents, etc. ALWAYS do a thorough check of the car to make sure its damage-free. My parents valet-parked our was-new 2001 Suburban and upon getting it back the whole driver side of the vehicle was dented, scratched, and left for dead. Granted, anyone would have noticed it was damaged and the attendant waited around with the license plate of the person who hit him upon driving back to the waiting area.

You could try small claims court but I dont know how far you'll get, you should have checked the vehicle then. I dont know if you off-road with your maxima or what, but i would think it would be easy to see a frisby-sized dent, cracked sidemarker, scatched bumper, and I know your maxima does not come in parking-garage special edition yellow paint, they save that special edition color for the altimas.
Actually, this guy was no where near 18 yrs old and is probably an illegal immigrant without a green card or drivers license...
Old 01-02-2004, 01:31 PM

where was this ? let me guess in Roosevely field mall, by bloomindal or nordstorm.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Time to get clear corners.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:55 PM
wescoast_ryder

its like that mercedes commerical with the valet guy driving backwards through the streets and parking lots....

sorry to hear about your incident

Old 01-02-2004, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Sizzo718
Actually, this guy was no where near 18 yrs old and is probably an illegal immigrant without a green card or drivers license...
And you still trusted him with your car? I remember parking in a lot in downtown Chicago one summer. The attendant wanted to park my truck for me. I said no thanks. Just tell me where you want ME to park it. He pointed to the spot and I parked my own truck. I wouldn't let anyone like that park either one of my vehicles. Especially the Max.
Old 01-02-2004, 04:24 PM

I only valet at fancy restaurants.......
I dont go clubbin or to the mall in my Max anymore..
Old 01-02-2004, 05:09 PM

I rmember going to a fancy restaurant around Wayne once. I let the guy valet my car and it was a small outdoor parking lot. So I watched him park and nothing happened. When I came out and he brought the car to me, guess what he said.

"I really wish this parking lot was full so I would've went around the block with your car"

Needless to say he got a mouthful from me and his manager was called. I don't know if he still works there.
Old 01-02-2004, 05:29 PM
Sanduguero

Originally Posted by Sizzo718

This is just ignorant what the hell an imigrant have to do with your **** getting a dent? if you are smart enough you would of never left your car with an IMMIGRANT, check yourself fool!
Old 01-02-2004, 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by Playero
This is just ignorant what the hell an imigrant have to do with your **** getting a dent? if you are smart enough you would of never left your car with an IMMIGRANT, check yourself fool!
Playero!

Sizzo get your U.S. history together, this whole country was founded on immigration and the hard work from those who made this move.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by GuZo
I rmember going to a fancy restaurant around Wayne once. I let the guy valet my car and it was a small outdoor parking lot. So I watched him park and nothing happened. When I came out and he brought the car to me, guess what he said.

"I really wish this parking lot was full so I would've went around the block with your car"

Needless to say he got a mouthful from me and his manager was called. I don't know if he still works there.
Doesn't that seem like a compliment to anyone else?
He wishes he could have drove your car around the block?
Maybe im just not understanding it correctly...
Old 01-02-2004, 06:50 PM

Its a compliment that should have been worded otherwise. You do not tip the guy to drive your car around, that is what dealerships are for, you are giving the guy money to drive your car to a spot and back again.
Old 01-02-2004, 06:54 PM

Its a compliment that should have been worded otherwise. You do not tip the guy to drive your car around, that is what dealerships are for, you are giving the guy money to drive your car to a spot and back again.
What if they have a huge parking lot? The "spot" might be 200 yards away. Can't blame a valet for wanting to drive a nice car for a minute.
Old 01-02-2004, 07:40 PM

True you don't pay him to go joy riding in your car, but couldent that have been interpreted as a joke also?

As in he didn't really mean it, it was just his way of complimenting the guy?

Maybe he was crossing the line but still...
What did you say to him after he said that anyway? (if you don't mind me asking)
Old 01-02-2004, 10:35 PM

Playero!

Sizzo get your U.S. history together, this whole country was founded on immigration and the hard work from those who made this move.
AGREE !! it aint right to say that an immigrant did it without proof, its stereotypical, for all you know a white dude did it,
Old 01-03-2004, 12:06 AM

what are u talking bout, he said there where yellow marks, like from the poles in that parkin garage!! soo obviously the valet guy did it.
Old 01-03-2004, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Modeflip

yeah thats what i thought also
Old 01-03-2004, 12:24 AM

what are u talking bout, he said there where yellow marks, like from the poles in that parkin garage!! soo obviously the valet guy did it.
exactly... How do you miss all that (cracked sidemarker, frisbee sized dent, scratches on the bumper, and added bright yellow paint)
Old 01-03-2004, 04:07 AM

Originally Posted by Modeflip
I thought it was a compliment..I don't think I would have tried to get the dude in hot water over that....
Old 01-03-2004, 05:12 AM
PAPA SMURF

Originally Posted by jattmax
AGREE !! it aint right to say that an immigrant did it without proof, its stereotypical, for all you know a white dude did it,
FYI, Sizzo is a good friend of mine from back in the day and he isn't a white guy
(and he's not blue either)

Old 01-03-2004, 07:02 AM

That happened to my neighbor at a parking garage that would only valet his car (happens to be a maxima too).

He had more damage as the rear driver's side passenger door was pushed in and the top of the door crinkled some of the roof. He noticed it there but they still fought him saying it was like that when he brought it in. In becomes your word against theirs no matter what, even if you note the damage at the scene. He was ready to go after their security tapes but it never came to that.

He kept up the fight and won.

I think you have 2 choices:

1. go after them yourself.

2. If you have collision on your insurnace, use it, that's what's it's there for. It shouldn't affect your rates. Let insuarnce go after them.

If you decide to go after them yourself (which is what I'd do), be prepared to document like all heck and fight fight fight. My neighbor pulled it off but I forget the things he did exactly. I do recall him providing a sworn deposition, but that was after he managed to file a claim with their insurance company. Don't let the manager sand-bag you. You should be dealing with their insurnace company only, tell them you want to file a claim which you have every right to do. Be really strong when you deal with them, make it known you are not going away. Once you have the claim in place with their insurance, be prepared to fight them too.

At the same time, you should call you insurnace company up if you have collision to let them know just in case you don't succeed with the valet insurnace. Let them know you are going after them yourself.

I think you should have a good chance of winning if you go after them yourself. I've done it 3 times with various accidents over the years where it was my word against theirs (everyone of them lied their a$$es off), and I won every time, but I was really persistant.

Good luck!!
Old 01-03-2004, 10:08 AM

take it into your own hands

This is what i would do which has worked in the past.
First, you kidnap the managers child and wife.
Second, you send him a finger from each of them.
Third, you tell him you want them back alive you fix my car (while your at it get something else like full custom paint job)
and thats that problem solved.

nah j.p but i would get a lawey or call that news station it will work try it good luck man

p.s. ive never had n e troubl wit valet i just tell them if theres n e thing wrong wit my car your fired but yea i dont like the thought of them doing what they want
Old 01-03-2004, 10:46 AM

That's why no one drives my maxima but me.

Get a lawyer to send him a "threatning" letter.
Old 01-04-2004, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by MannyNJ2k2max
I only valet at fancy restaurants.......
I dont go clubbin or to the mall in my Max anymore..
I've been told by several of my friends who valet park at fancy restaurants that they messed around with peoples cars... Fancy place or not, they simply don't give a sheit.
Old 01-04-2004, 01:14 AM

Playero!

Hey Guzo, you are correct . The very foundation of this country was built mostly by hard working immigrants who have legitimately signed papers to live and work in the U.S. My parents, as many other people reading this forums parents', immigrated to this country to make a better living by contributing and serving others in positive ways. Yet, my comment could have been bias and towards teenagers or old foggies, but I chose "illegal immigrant" instead. I did not specify an ethnic background purposely since I do not hold anything personal against them. With this being said ask yourself whether it would bother you if your car was damaged by an expert parking engineer (who again, might I add, most probably does not have a drivers license) . Again, my apologies to you and those I had offended by my comment.

-disgruntled maxima owner
Old 01-04-2004, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by jattmax
Way to hate on white people man . he never mentioned any ethnicity when he said immigrant. The immigrant he was talking about could have very well been a white romanian guy or russian guy.

anyway, back on topic, Sizzo718: you never mentioned what mall you were at when this happened? Not that I would EVER valet park in ANY mall, [sarcasm]might have same non-white immigrant guy parking my car and we can't have that now can we[/sarcasm], but it's still good to know.
Old 01-04-2004, 09:15 PM

find out who drove your car and beat the living ****giggles out of them
Old 01-04-2004, 09:23 PM

I worked valet in high school, and I will say that the cars were rarely ever treated nicely... I would encourage everyone to stay away from that at all but the nicest restaurants. It is actually true that the more upscale restaurants pay their valets more and provide easier parking and will really keep tabs on complaints about the parkers.

I would complain to wherever you were going if the valet company won't talk with you. They will make them respect you more.
Old 01-04-2004, 10:36 PM

Originally Posted by richspidizzy
Way to hate on white people man . he never mentioned any ethnicity when he said immigrant. The immigrant he was talking about could have very well been a white romanian guy or russian guy.

anyway, back on topic, Sizzo718: you never mentioned what mall you were at when this happened? Not that I would EVER valet park in ANY mall, [sarcasm]might have same non-white immigrant guy parking my car and we can't have that now can we[/sarcasm], but it's still good to know.
My bad, it was a local mall in Queens (not Queens Center) you've probably never heard of or will visit. Sorry, but I'd rather not mention the malls name.