5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cold start problem, 2k3 max

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2004, 12:45 PM

Cold start problem, 2k3 max

I tried to start my max today and it just chugged.. I finally got it started after 30 seconds or so of pressing the gas and then letting off, etc.. trying to nurse it to start. As it started, it shot out clouds of black smoke. I have no engine mods whatseover to this car. Its about 24 degrees outside today and recently sleeted, yet I have started the car before in colder weather with no problems at all.

Ideas? I tried to search, but search has been turned off so I create yet another post about a problem that probably has been discussed in depth.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2004, 01:15 PM
trey

Yeah seems like are maxes have fits in this cold weather, at least mine does, almost the same thing has happened to me about 3 times in a year of ownership.

Did your battery sound weak at all, i've been hearing are stock batteries are not all that.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:07 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Never had anything remotely like that happen to me yet, what kinda gas or additives ya'll runnin' .
Old 01-04-2004, 02:47 PM
trey

BP or sometimes mobil gas and no additives yet. I do park outside though where its coooooooold.

Old 01-04-2004, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by slag
I tried to start my max today and it just chugged.. I finally got it started after 30 seconds or so of pressing the gas and then letting off, etc.. trying to nurse it to start. As it started, it shot out clouds of black smoke. I have no engine mods whatseover to this car. Its about 24 degrees outside today and recently sleeted, yet I have started the car before in colder weather with no problems at all.

Ideas? I tried to search, but search has been turned off so I create yet another post about a problem that probably has been discussed in depth.

Thanks
From my owner's manual for a 2k2.
"If the engine is very hard to start in extremely cold or hot weather, depress the accelerator pedal and hold it to help start the engine."
I would try that the next time it is that cold outside. You could run your battery down in a hurry if you don't get it started within a few seconds.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:10 PM
trey

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
From my owner's manual for a 2k2.
"If the engine is very hard to start in extremely cold or hot weather, depress the accelerator pedal and hold it to help start the engine."
I would try that the next time it is that cold outside. You could run your battery down in a hurry if you don't get it started within a few seconds.
That sounds like a strange thing to do on fuel injection engine but i too have heard of that, thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Old 01-04-2004, 04:14 PM

Thanks
That's really just a cold-weather problem with all engines, anything could be a little trickier to start. Don't worry about the black clouds, you had to dump a lot of gas in it to start, and it was extremely rich for the first few seconds.
Old 01-04-2004, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by trey
That sounds like a strange thing to do on fuel injection engine but i too have heard of that, thanks for bringing it to my attention.
You're welcome.
I know. It sounded strange to me when I first heard that. I had to actually do it in Chicago a time or two one winter. Under normal conditions, you never have to put your foot anywhere near the accelerator to start the engine.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:16 PM

You should NEVER ever have to depress the gas pedal on fuel injected engines to start them. That makes no sense. I have never had any problems whatsoever with any of the other 12 fuel injected vehicles I have owned in regards to cold weather starting. I tend to think my CPS is going out. I am starting to dislike this car more and more.. From the crappy paint, to the lack of acceleration, to the cold start problem. For the price they ask, these Maxs are a big POS.

Btw, Holding the pedal down was worse.. And a car battery will not drain in 30 seconds of turning over the motor. It should be good for 2-4 minutes at worst.

Only by pushing and letting up did the car start.. And then I had to still flutter the pedal for it to kick in.

EDIT.. and it wasnt that cold outside.. only 24 degrees. I've started it at 8 degrees before with no problems whatsoever.
Old 01-04-2004, 06:28 PM

You should NEVER ever have to depress the gas pedal on fuel injected engines to start them. That makes no sense. I have never had any problems whatsoever with any of the other 12 fuel injected vehicles I have owned in regards to cold weather starting. I tend to think my CPS is going out. I am starting to dislike this car more and more.. From the crappy paint, to the lack of acceleration, to the cold start problem. For the price they ask, these Maxs are a big POS.

Btw, Holding the pedal down was worse.. And a car battery will not drain in 30 seconds of turning over the motor. It should be good for 2-4 minutes at worst.

Only by pushing and letting up did the car start.. And then I had to still flutter the pedal for it to kick in.

EDIT.. and it wasnt that cold outside.. only 24 degrees. I've started it at 8 degrees before with no problems whatsoever.
There are always exceptions to the rule. I think the Max is a great value otherwise I would never have bought my 2nd or 3rd. I do agree that something is wrong with your car the way you describe it. At 24 degrees, your battery does not have 100% of it's cranking capacity. You might get 2-4 minutes with a fully charged battery if your engine turns over fast enough. Starters demand high amperage. 24 degrees is damn cold. It's beloew freezing.
Old 01-06-2004, 10:28 AM

there is a difference between "hard to start" and "starts but chugs"...hard to start could be the battery doesnt have the proper current to start the car in cold (low CCA)...but if the car starts and starts to choke..thats another problem
Old 01-06-2004, 12:19 PM

Thanks
Something is wrong with a car that chuggs to get started.
VERY cold temps (i.e. below 0) will make even newer cars growl
a little when starting , but as stated above you should NEVER
have to depress gas pedal while starting. Slag , you may have the
cam position sensor problem(TSB on it) or one of the other TSB's maybe?
What you describe means somehow you flooded the motor with gas, somehow.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:20 PM

my car just make funny rattles at a cold start day, but then again maxes are babies in the winter.
Old 01-06-2004, 12:25 PM

Thanks
That's weird. I'm up in North Dakota at the moment and the ambient temp was -20F yesterday and the car started just fine.
Old 01-06-2004, 05:10 PM
trey

I have electric start with my viper 790 alarm. This morning when i tried to start it by way of transmitter, the car cranked for a sec then paused, then starting cranking again 5 seconds later and the car started right up, weird very weird.