5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WOO HOO....Sick Maxima and Ext. Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004, 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

WOO HOO....Sick Maxima and Ext. Warranty

How do you like this........

So I have a 2k w/ 75k miles and manual tranny. I was getting some funky noise between 1k and 3k rpm's in first and second gear, so I took it to the dealer to get checked out. You know it's bad when the service guy says emphatically "don't drive it." So I took it to my regular mechanic to get fixed, and they're telling me now my extended warranty folks won't cover any repairs until the adjuster can rip the transmission apart to see if I should have mine rebuilt, or if a new one should be ordered. Then the mechanic tells me my starter is bad, and he's going to see if he can get my warranty folks to cover it. Oh yeah, and I'm driving a Chrysler Town & Country from Enterprise in the mean time. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!

Dealership estimate - $1445 minimum

Extended Warranty Deductible - $100
Fee for having tranny dissected - $280
Pimpin the minivan - covered by ext. warranty

If you're in ATL and see a teal minivan w/ 10" hubcaps riding down peachtree and blasting that Trillville (as best can be done in the T&C), holla at ya boy.

Eenis
Old 01-07-2004, 08:28 AM

lol not bad. thats a pretty good deal on a rebuilt tranny. good luck
Old 01-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Eenis
How do you like this........

So I have a 2k w/ 75k miles and manual tranny. I was getting some funky noise between 1k and 3k rpm's in first and second gear, so I took it to the dealer to get checked out. You know it's bad when the service guy says emphatically "don't drive it." So I took it to my regular mechanic to get fixed, and they're telling me now my extended warranty folks won't cover any repairs until the adjuster can rip the transmission apart to see if I should have mine rebuilt, or if a new one should be ordered. Then the mechanic tells me my starter is bad, and he's going to see if he can get my warranty folks to cover it. Oh yeah, and I'm driving a Chrysler Town & Country from Enterprise in the mean time. GOTTA LOVE IT!!!!

Dealership estimate - $1445 minimum

Extended Warranty Deductible - $100
Fee for having tranny dissected - $280
Pimpin the minivan - covered by ext. warranty

If you're in ATL and see a teal minivan w/ 10" hubcaps riding down peachtree and blasting that Trillville (as best can be done in the T&C), holla at ya boy.

Eenis

"Fee for having tranny dissected- $280"

I don't understand why would you have to pay this.. I know there are diagnostics fees you can get nailed with if the dealership doesn't find anything, but since they are acknowledging the problem, why would you have to pay the $280?
Old 01-07-2004, 09:56 AM

Extended warranty? Should I get it? YES!

at 40K miles.... Travers Links 100$
at 48K miles.... Sunroof Motor 250$
at 62K miles.... Oxygen sensor 120$
at 64K miles.... Alternator 500$
4 hours Labour. 300$

It's starting to add up. Not there yet but I am not giving up hope. One more thing and it's paid for
Old 01-07-2004, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by -Red-
"Fee for having tranny dissected- $280"

I don't understand why would you have to pay this.. I know there are diagnostics fees you can get nailed with if the dealership doesn't find anything, but since they are acknowledging the problem, why would you have to pay the $280?
Sorry for not being clear....the fee is paid to the mechanic doing the repairs as a diagnostic fee to rip the tranny apart and see what else may need to be done, not to the dealer that told me I shouldn't be driving the car. It does suck though that I could pay the $280 to my mechanic and they could find nothing else needing to be done, but shoot, I'll pay that $280 if it'll keep me from having to go through this again in another 20k miles.

Driving a minivan really sucks.
Old 01-07-2004, 10:23 AM

Originally Posted by bert
Extended warranty? Should I get it? YES!

at 40K miles.... Travers Links 100$
at 48K miles.... Sunroof Motor 250$
at 62K miles.... Oxygen sensor 120$
at 64K miles.... Alternator 500$
4 hours Labour. 300$

It's starting to add up. Not there yet but I am not giving up hope. One more thing and it's paid for
I was a non-believer too before going through this.....$700 for ignition coils and these repairs being covered (less $100 deductible). It has paid for itself. Oh yeah, and I got the warranty transferred from the guy that I got the car from...let's hear it for buying pre-owned cars.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:51 AM

Yes father, give me another.....tranny

WOO HOO (i think)......new transmission is on the way. Having them put in a new clutch, which is on the way also. Oh yeah, and the T&C is going back to enterprise today...gonna see if I can't get a corolla again (i refuse to be 24 driving a minivan....bad omen).

So far:
$100 - deductible
$280 - fee to dissect tranny
$215 - clutch kit and some kinda oil seal.
$0 - new transmission
$0 - grocery getter from enterprise

$595 - total for new guts for my baby.