5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

AE Lights replacement for HIDS

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 07:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

AE Lights replacement for HIDS

Hey guys! I just got my HID recall done this Saturday, 2 days later someone tried jacking my lights in my driveway. They were unable to pry the lights open but totally f@#&ed-up the frame around it, they must have used a crowbar or something. I asked a local auto-body shop for an estimate on the damage and they said $600. I called Difeo Nissan in Jersey City about replacing my HIDs with 2001 lights and they said that this can't be done because of the wiring involved? But, I've been reading some threads about people replacing these HIDs with AEs. Can you guys help a fellow Max owner here... I just don't want to deal with this sh&t anymore. Any manual directions in installing these and what specific lights are these AE's that I should get. Any suggestions on where to get these is greatly appreciated. BTW, anyone interested in buying my HIDs if this conversion is possible. Before anyone of u thinks I stole these, I can pose up pics off my max... I'm just not sure how easy these are to remove after the recall. Thanks for looking out.
Old 01-05-2004, 08:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It's up to you. BTW I wanna see pics! JK
Old 01-05-2004, 10:07 PM

RoomMax,

I also bought my Max from Defeo Nissan and my lights were stolen back in Nov. in Metropark NJ. Just one day before my appointment to install the bracket! Anyway, I just ordered '01 regular lights from southwestautoworks.com for $175 shipped. The guy at southwest told me that I don't need anything else so let's see. I know an auto shop in Flushing NY that will install both 01' lights for around $150. This same shop in Flushing fixed my fender and replaced new HID's back then and he did a good job. But we will need to buy some sort of rubber foam from Home Depot to cover the gaps between the bumper and hood. That gap I am not very familiar with so I will let you know how it goes....

Can some one post a picture of the gap? And which type of rubber material should we get?

BTW, if you are asking why I did not buy the AE's is because there are stupid thieves out there that can’t tell the difference between the HID and AE lights.
Old 01-05-2004, 11:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Clearsky
RoomMax,

I also bought my Max from Defeo Nissan and my lights were stolen back in Nov. in Metropark NJ. Just one day before my appointment to install the bracket! Anyway, I just ordered '01 regular lights from southwestautoworks.com for $175 shipped. The guy at southwest told me that I don't need anything else so let's see. I know an auto shop in Flushing NY that will install both 01' lights for around $150. This same shop in Flushing fixed my fender and replaced new HID's back then and he did a good job. But we will need to buy some sort of rubber foam from Home Depot to cover the gaps between the bumper and hood. That gap I am not very familiar with so I will let you know how it goes....

Can some one post a picture of the gap? And which type of rubber material should we get?

BTW, if you are asking why I did not buy the AE's is because there are stupid thieves out there that can’t tell the difference between the HID and AE lights.
Sounds like the average price for the AE install. Just go there, I can reccomend you to a bodyshop in Newark who did mine though.
Old 01-06-2004, 07:20 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

...if you put HIDs in 2k1 housings...you lose high beam right?