5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

SES On....NOW OFF!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2004, 06:50 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

SES On....NOW OFF!!!???

Yeah I don't get it, I had removed my Cattman Y and put the stock one back on and shortly there after the SES light came on this was in JUNE! I went to Autozone P0420 code pulled.

I drove around with the light untill three days ago. It was an extremely cold morning I went to start up and by the time I was out of the driveway I noticed no more SES...

Anyone know why this would happen? Did I really have anything wrong to begin with? Oh yeah I first thought the light had burned out but later found that not to be the case.

Any ideas...

Robert
Old 01-09-2004, 07:52 AM

I have read somewhere else on the forum (so this may be the biggest load of BS ever!) That if the computer doesn't get the code for 5 start it clears the code.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:43 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

The answer lies in the stickies...probably FAQ.

Hint: It's one of mine.
Old 01-09-2004, 02:32 PM

Ses Light

Not to worry- it will return like a cavity. You need to address a few things- 1. plastic tie (2-18" pieces, don't link 2 together) the wire harness that connects to your computer, wrap it around the whole ECU and the harness snug but not too tight. You need to access it on both the drivers side by gas pedal and on the passengers side left kick panel. The connection gets loose and viol CEL. There is a TSB for it.

Also, if your CEL was just the pressure from the Y pipe caused, you still need to go to autozone and clear the code from the ECU. If it comes back after you have followed the above procedure to the T, have the dealer flash the ECU $80.00- yet another TSB, thanks Nissan. If after doing all of the above it comes back, as it has for me- change the 02 sensor as the code indicates. The sensor wire sheath is color coded and most dealers will fax you the microfeash (sp?) or hit me up and I will.

Note bank 1 is firewall side sensor one is upstream or pre-cat. On all CA models they have 4 of these 02's. Go to discountoxegynsensor.com Best prices and service just make sure the Bosch fits your harness- I have 3 wire but some how it say they are 4??? They are shipping mine anyway, we'll see- Bosch is a great product, great price.

Originally Posted by 2MuchMAX4U
Yeah I don't get it, I had removed my Cattman Y and put the stock one back on and shortly there after the SES light came on this was in JUNE! I went to Autozone P0420 code pulled.

I drove around with the light untill three days ago. It was an extremely cold morning I went to start up and by the time I was out of the driveway I noticed no more SES...

Anyone know why this would happen? Did I really have anything wrong to begin with? Oh yeah I first thought the light had burned out but later found that not to be the case.

Any ideas...

Robert
Old 01-09-2004, 03:08 PM
The Definitive AE Master

ahh.. the infamous p0420 code that dealers should be fixing for free since its a tsb.. stupid nissan.

i've been trying to dig up copies of my write up to send to members who've had problems getting nissan to perform the ECU upgrade w/out the $80 fee
Old 01-09-2004, 04:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Thanks for all your input guys,
max 01~~Not to worry- it will return like a cavity~~ You were right, it came back on today at WOT on the highway....

Anyways, I have 78K on my max so I don't really want to take my baby to the stealer... Is that really my only option to get the ECU flashed?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:11 PM
The Definitive AE Master

max 01~~Not to worry- it will return like a cavity~~ You were right, it came back on today at WOT on the highway....

Anyways, I have 78K on my max so I don't really want to take my baby to the stealer... Is that really my only option to get the ECU flashed?
yep, its an upgraded program for the ECU. Otherwise you'll just keep seeing it everytime you clear the code.

i got mine done twice for free (on two different 5th gens)
I only have 23k miles on the one I drive now, but the warranty (3 years) is over... the dealer still performed it for free
Old 01-09-2004, 05:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The ECU is covered by the 8/80 so the dealer should update it for free (that's why many outside the 3/36 warranty period have gotten theirs done at no cost). Sounds like you have 2K miles left...