5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

How to get rid of SES glitch...

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 11:03 AM

How to get rid of SES glitch...

Well we have had the car about 4 months and put on like 4k miles in that time.....we have had 3 SES lights already........the first was said to be a emmisions glitch, the second went away by itself after I used Mobil. (i filled up with shell which is said by some to cause strange things SERIOUS!!).
and now the light is back on...........its seriously so stressful for me.

how much do those ODB things cost? maybe its worth it just to buy one....DAMN.

Any thoughts on the wacked computer system??
Old 01-16-2004, 11:08 AM
Reported

Originally Posted by Mikeb120
Well we have had the car about 4 months and put on like 4k miles in that time.....we have had 3 SES lights already........the first was said to be a emmisions glitch, the second went away by itself after I used Mobil. (i filled up with shell which is said by some to cause strange things SERIOUS!!).

just wait till your coils start misfiring. you will be in for a treat.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just pass by your local Autozone they should check the code and clear it for free. The one by me actually lends it to you to check it yourself. It's not that hard but I really don't think it's worth the money for the amount of times you will actually be using it. There's software that you install on your laptop and with a cable it connects to your OBD II port that looks a little more useful. Just my .02

It looks like they are going anywhere from $50 - $150
http://search.ebay.com/search/search...t&query=obd+II

I've had my light come on twice in the past month something about a heated Rear 02 sensor.
Old 01-16-2004, 04:07 PM

SES- been there...

Here's the deal- you need to cinche up the wires going into the ECU with 18" plastic ties. The harness gets loose and trips codes. The computer is located to the right of the gas pedal and also access it from the left foot area of the passengers side. Snug the wires up good- not too too tight but firm. There is a TSB on this procedure. If after doing this and getting it reset at autozone it still kicks on, get the reflas from the dealer $80.00. If your still having problems, read the code, could be an 02 sensor. The best and cheapest place to get quality Bosch 02's is from www.discountoxygensensor.com. FYI, Bank 1 Sensor 1 or P0135 (common code) is the first sensor on the firewall side- about 10" below the rear cylinders- toward the passengers side. If you ignore the light and it is running rich for a long time, you can damage the cats and get bad mileage.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:43 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

This is the code that I got
P0141 - Sensor Heater Circuit Malfunction Bank 1 Sensor 2.

Would this TSB apply in this case?
NTB02-051a
Old 01-17-2004, 10:40 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by RocketMAX

NTB02-051a
Sorry, but the TSB doesn't apply in this case. Either your downstream O2 sensor on bank one is bad or there is a problem with the connector or wiring harness. If you look at the TSB, the O2 sensor in question is HO2S2-B1 which is on the front of the precat. The connector for this sensor is white. You can check the O2 sensor heater resistance by disconnecting it and, at the O2 sensor, checking the resistance of the heater circuit with an ohm meter. It should be between 2.3 and 4.3 ohms. But, honestly, I'd just go out an get a new O2 sensor when you get a chance. While the light is annoying, if that's the only code being thrown it's not a big deal. It's not affecting the performance of your vehicle, affecting your mileage, nor causing any damage. O2 sensors have to be at operating temperature before they'll work correctly and the heater circuit is there to get it to the correct temperature faster. The O2 sensor is probably working fine once it warms up and since that particular O2 sensor is only there to help monitor the catalyst system (unlike the upstream sensors which are used to help maintain the correct air/fuel mixture), it's not really hurting anything.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:08 PM

re: 02

Couldn't open the TSB but before you spend $ on 02's, snug up the ECU with 2 plastic ties- reset at Auto Zone, then Reflash, only then replace the 02 and reset. FYI, senor 2 bank 1 is the one that is in the cat.
For reference, bank one is the firewall side since that is where #1 cylinder is, bank two is radiator side.

To make your life very easy;

Bank 2 Senosor 1 has a Blue sheathing over the wires
For some weird reason they refer to the front radiator side as the "rear"

Bank 1 Sensor 1 has a black sheathing

Your Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 2, if in fact thats the problem has a white sheathing. It's in th cat under your engine.

Bank 2 Sensor 2 has a red sheathing

r
Originally Posted by RocketMAX

NTB02-051a