5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Just Bought A Max

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:48 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Just Bought A Max

FINALLY

1. Thursday, I bought a 2000 GLE with all options (spoiler, htd seats, traction control, etc.)...this is like a dream come true, it still hasn't sunk in, as i've been wanting a max for over 1.5 years. i had a 2001 accord vp which sucked *** and i sold it for 10,850 after buying it for 12,000 (i know, overpaid) back in march 03. i bought this max (47k miles) for 12,175, and after all the fees done, i was out the door at $13,3

2. however....today...some dumb ***** hit my *** while i was merging onto the main road from an offramp of a highway. the damage was minimal, all that is there is an indentation of her garbage license plate (2 circles for the nuts about 1 mm deep and a scratch from the top of the plate on the bumper..nothing else..the damage didn't correlate to the impact at all. i keep my coins in the ashtray by the shifter, and it was open, and at impact, i had coins go all over the place, and one penny fly back to the rear seat. i was so ****ed and all she could say is "im madd sorry"..i didn't know what to do. i didn't call the cops cuz i didn't want this goin to my insurance and have it jacked up (im on the table for 2 speeding tickets in the accord, possibly 8 points, appealing and court dates are pending), so finally she said i'll give u money, i dont have much, just 10 bux...i said give it up, and reluctantly bounced for work...

in such a case, what would u guys do? i know i could've gotten more money from her, but she's a dumb *****, and she was poor too i think, so i didn't wanna be an ******* and have fate kick me in the *** even worse later on..

she drove a daewoo lanos hatchback that's green..i didn't get her license plate number, but i think the car is so original, police wont have trouble finding her if need be..and im pretty sure she lives in that town where i got hit

i was ticked for a few hours, but then calmed down as i realized i should just be thankful for not having a ton of damage..

3. one more thing, im looking for an mp3 receiver for my car that is greater than or equal to 25 watts rms/50 watts peak x 4; does anyone have recommendations?

btw, glad to be part of the .org...i was lookin to donate, but it says i can't, wtf??
Old 01-18-2004, 01:03 AM

I hate to say this, number one, very very bad idea, you should have exchange information. That's the first rule of thumb when involved in an accident. Number two, call the police to file a police report. It doesn't matter if you have tickets and points off your license, you still have to report it regardless who's fault is it. But since you don't have her info and her plate number then you are out of luck. You're gonna have to pony up out of your pocket to fix your car. Otherwise, good luck tracking her down. Sorry to hear about your luck with the car, it's a great car but darn had to get hit.
Old 01-18-2004, 07:50 AM
Reported

Congrats on the Max. You got a really good deal........i don't think you can pursue the accident anymore. its over now. that must have been a decent impact if u had coins fly out of the holder.
Old 01-18-2004, 10:26 AM

If you weren't at fault, I don't think it would affect your rates, or affect your driver's license. Was she 100% at fault? I would have called the Police. Sometimes the other party will later report it to the cops and say that YOU hit them or some other lie. But, if it's just some bumper damage, heck that can happen in a parking lot where people hit you and don't leave any info...
Old 01-18-2004, 12:53 PM

My wife got popped like that in her 2K1 Maxima. She feelt the impact similar to what you describe. Upon examination, I could find no damage other than ot the license plate and one small scratch. Here's to the rear (at least) bumper!
Old 01-18-2004, 01:11 PM

how did SHE hit YOU, when you were the one merging from an offramp?
Old 01-18-2004, 04:51 PM

both her and i were coming off the highway and onto the ramp, merging into the main road...there were about 5 cars in line. a corolla went before me, then i started to move, but she hit me...those daewoo's must have some nasty pickup..she wasn't at 100% fault....she was at 1000000000000000000000000000000000000000% fault

anyway, imagine if u got into this kind of accident 20x in one year. wouldn't the insurance company raise ur rates, even tho it's not ur fault? i would think they'd consider me a risk cuz im always riddled with bad luck

i got into the exact same type of accident like this 10 days ago as a passenger in a friend's MX6. some dumb girl driving a civic hit him. he only got a few scratches, but she had a couple minor dings on her bumper. he didn't report it to the cops, cuz he is under the same impression i am, in that the insurance will go up

it sux, cuz im being so conservative on the road, im babyin this car. at times, i drive 25 in a 40, and i drove in the right lane on that trip that i was on right before the accident going 55 in a 65. i dont think i've hit 4th gear, haha
Old 01-18-2004, 05:05 PM
retired moderator

If accident is not your fault and can be proven to be someone else's (i.e. by a police report), your insurance will NOT go up. And what are the chances this will happen to you 20x in a year?

By any chance, did you start to accellerate to merge and then slam on the brakes because there was traffic coming, and then she ran into you? I see this happen all the time on the D.C. beltway.

If someone rear-ends you, it is ALWAYS their fault, unless you just cut the person off and slam on the brakes for no reason.
Old 01-18-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by irish44j
If accident is not your fault and can be proven to be someone else's (i.e. by a police report), your insurance will NOT go up. And what are the chances this will happen to you 20x in a year?

By any chance, did you start to accellerate to merge and then slam on the brakes because there was traffic coming, and then she ran into you? I see this happen all the time on the D.C. beltway.

If someone rear-ends you, it is ALWAYS their fault, unless you just cut the person off and slam on the brakes for no reason.
i didn't slam on my brakes at all, if i did, then i could understand her hitting me, but i was trying to get the hell out of there, and she still hit me

i got into a similar accident that u described last march. i was driving my parents camry and some women with a right lazy eye, talkin on her cellphone, in a gmc envoy, cuts me off (moving from her left lane to my right lane), i tried to go around her by going into the left lane(and gave my blinker, checked my blind spots, everything) but then she slammed at her brakes in the middle of hte highway, and i hit her..that accident had a lot of damage to the camry, but even tho i hit her from behind, it was determined 50-50, even tho i think she should get all the blame

i hate that men have to pay more insurance than women
Old 01-18-2004, 06:10 PM
retired moderator

You say you were trying to "get the hell out of there", suggesting you were accellerating, and a Daewoo Lanos rear-ended you?!?

Not (really) trying to give you a hard time, since it sucks that you got hit, but a Lanos kicks out a puny 105 horsepower and is one of the slowest cars in production right now (weighs 3300lbs!!-as much as a maxima!!). I have a hard time seeing how she caught up with you and rear ended you if you were accellerating your maxima with any kind of "get the hell out of there" speed.

Was she behind you on the entrance ramp or was she already in highway traffic and you tried to merge in front of her?
Old 01-18-2004, 06:59 PM

hahah, no man..u took me too literally, remmeber im a conservative driver thus far..i just meant that i was in motion, i didn't gun it

i started moving forward slowly, there wasn't any rush to go fast, no cars were on the main road at the time; she got overzealous, and accelerated hard as hell and hit me
Old 01-18-2004, 07:15 PM
retired moderator

gotcha....haha the thought of the lanos accelerating hard as hell makes me laugh!. 0-60 in 12 flat! hahahah. Maybe she had some mods under the hood!!!!!

Anyhow, good that youre ok and the car isnt damaged much...welcome to the org.!
Old 01-18-2004, 08:12 PM

if the girl driving the car was hot, you should have asked for some services for your losses