5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need help with my piece of crap 5th gen.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 12:53 AM

Need help with my piece of crap 5th gen.

Ok, so some of you may remember my last post regarding the SES light on my car the the coil pack problems, well, got my replacement coil in Fri. and my gas mileage improved greatly but after 30 miles or so, bam on came the light and as soon as it came on it was idling and driving rough as heck....

So....any suggestions?

Another oddity, before, I could get on it on the on-ramp to an interstate (im not talking hard, just 3000-3500 rpm) and the light would flash, then when I slowed down, it would go off again. Also last time the light came back on well before 30 miles.

Originally it said misfire on cyl. 2 and the generic "bad coil pack" problem. I swapped the coil packs on 2 and 4 and tried again, didnt get it to flash before the new coil came in but the light did come back on.

So the only other thing I can think of would be to swap out the other coil packs one at a time and see if it comes back or goes away entirely....

Unless someone out there wiser than I has some input
COULD it be the ECU (which is still covered under warranty)? Wouldn't the ECU throw out an error about itself somewhere in there too though if that was the case?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help....

-Balthazar-
<edit>It's a 2000 Maxima btw </edit>
Old 01-18-2004, 01:19 AM

Originally Posted by Balthazar
Ok, so some of you may remember my last post regarding the SES light on my car the the coil pack problems, well, got my replacement coil in Fri. and my gas mileage improved greatly but after 30 miles or so, bam on came the light and as soon as it came on it was idling and driving rough as heck....

So....any suggestions?

Another oddity, before, I could get on it on the on-ramp to an interstate (im not talking hard, just 3000-3500 rpm) and the light would flash, then when I slowed down, it would go off again. Also last time the light came back on well before 30 miles.

Originally it said misfire on cyl. 2 and the generic "bad coil pack" problem. I swapped the coil packs on 2 and 4 and tried again, didnt get it to flash before the new coil came in but the light did come back on.

So the only other thing I can think of would be to swap out the other coil packs one at a time and see if it comes back or goes away entirely....

Unless someone out there wiser than I has some input
COULD it be the ECU (which is still covered under warranty)? Wouldn't the ECU throw out an error about itself somewhere in there too though if that was the case?

Anyway, thanks in advance for any help....

-Balthazar-

As strangely as it may seem, I only had several coils not work properly. But I was cautios, replaced two only and watched the engine, I still could feel the rough shaking. I replaced all six of them, and I havent had any problems since. No wonder the dealer recommended me replacing all six when i have done a check on my SES light.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:41 AM

I sincerely hope thats not the case, I cannot afford to replace all six right now ;(

Seriously, this is my last Nissan....dealer has ZERO interest in helping me with this....this is far from an isolated problem too. ugh....

This whole experience has flushed my opinion on Nissan right down the tubes....
If I could afford it I would just sell the d@mn thing and be rid of it.
Old 01-18-2004, 04:29 AM

Swapped the pack I pulled for another of the old packs on the front bank and drove around for about an hour (couldnt sleep anyway) and put about 40 miles on it with a mixture of agressive and easy driving, so far nothing....maybe it was just wrong about which cyl. had the problem. My gas mileage is WAY better, its not the kind of thing you could mistake....a hour of driving before would have blown through at least $5 worth of gas, now, it barely dented it.

Anyhow....keeping my fingers crossed.

<P.S.: Just noticed my lovely custom rank....yeah, that FAQ is a real wonder....index lists 5 pages worth of stuff for a thread thats 4 pages long, and nothing you click on appears on the right page, some of it is one page forward, some of its one page back, some of its gone. I have read through most all of it though thanks kindly.>
Old 01-18-2004, 04:42 AM

Swapped the pack I pulled for another of the old packs on the front bank and drove around for about an hour (couldnt sleep anyway) and put about 40 miles on it with a mixture of agressive and easy driving, so far nothing....maybe it was just wrong about which cyl. had the problem. My gas mileage is WAY better, its not the kind of thing you could mistake....a hour of driving before would have blown through at least $5 worth of gas, now, it barely dented it.

Anyhow....keeping my fingers crossed.

<P.S.: Just noticed my lovely custom rank....yeah, that FAQ is a real wonder....index lists 5 pages worth of stuff for a thread thats 4 pages long, and nothing you click on appears on the right page, some of it is one page forward, some of its one page back, some of its gone. I have read through most all of it though thanks kindly.>
Errm, it's not a custom rank, everyone gets that.
Old 01-18-2004, 09:49 AM

i feel your pain bro, my 2001 has had that DAMN SES light come on like 4 times in 3 weeks, luckily it hasnt been the coils yet, but im just waiting for that to be next. I wouldnt deter away from Nissans all together though, they really are great cars (most of the time), just sometimes you get the shi* end of the stick, its taken me 3 dealers and service departments but i finally found one I can trust and goto to rely on, for now at least...good luck man
Old 01-19-2004, 12:01 AM

Really, thats not a custom rank????

It just seemed like the kind of thing that would be applied by a mod when someone asked a dumb question, not the way everyone would start out....

Back to the topic, I've put about 100 miles on my car since last night and still no SES light, so it turns out maybe when it said misfire on cyl. 2 that was a load of bull....

Then again the IdiotZone guy might have screwed it up too....

Anyhow, if anyone else is swapping coil packs before you go replacing all six of them try swapping positions one at a time. If you take one out and the light comes back on, you know that one might very well be good. If you take another one out and use the one you previously pulled and it stays off, there you go....might save $300 in parts. (and equally as much in labor if you have the crappy dealer do it.

I will say that I like my Maxima, when it runs, and this IS the first problem I have had....but I know it wont be the last and it seems like ALOT of people are just waiting for that next thing to go wrong, MAF sensor (friend with stock intaje had his go twice), coil packs. I bought a Maxima because Nissan was the only car company I knew that DIDNT have that list of typical things that goes wrong, but it seems like thats changing....and I HATE waiting and worrying about when the other shoe is going to drop, shouldnt have to at 46,000 miles....

Anyway, thanks for all the info.

-Balthazar-
Old 01-19-2004, 12:23 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Really, thats not a custom rank????

It just seemed like the kind of thing that would be applied by a mod when someone asked a dumb question, not the way everyone would start out....

Back to the topic, I've put about 100 miles on my car since last night and still no SES light, so it turns out maybe when it said misfire on cyl. 2 that was a load of bull....

Then again the IdiotZone guy might have screwed it up too....

Anyhow, if anyone else is swapping coil packs before you go replacing all six of them try swapping positions one at a time. If you take one out and the light comes back on, you know that one might very well be good. If you take another one out and use the one you previously pulled and it stays off, there you go....might save $300 in parts. (and equally as much in labor if you have the crappy dealer do it.

I will say that I like my Maxima, when it runs, and this IS the first problem I have had....but I know it wont be the last and it seems like ALOT of people are just waiting for that next thing to go wrong, MAF sensor (friend with stock intaje had his go twice), coil packs. I bought a Maxima because Nissan was the only car company I knew that DIDNT have that list of typical things that goes wrong, but it seems like thats changing....and I HATE waiting and worrying about when the other shoe is going to drop, shouldnt have to at 46,000 miles....

Anyway, thanks for all the info.

-Balthazar-
Well if you're waiting and waiting for the next thing to go wrong, you should go ahead and sell your car now, because you've got the wrong attitude and can't afford your car. Maximas have been some of the best running cars out there since 1986, they still are today... Every car has problems here and there, the manufacturers don't take the time to build them perfect. Most folks don't swap and swap parts until they get it right, they just fix the damn thing and go on. I have plenty of miles, and have only had one problem, my coils did go at 129k... For a 4 1/2 year old car I'll say that's ok. I've only spent $300 on coils (beyond brakes and oil), on a $30,000 car in 5 years. That works for me!!!
Old 01-19-2004, 02:43 AM

Originally Posted by KCMichaelM
Well if you're waiting and waiting for the next thing to go wrong, you should go ahead and sell your car now, because you've got the wrong attitude and can't afford your car. Maximas have been some of the best running cars out there since 1986, they still are today... Every car has problems here and there, the manufacturers don't take the time to build them perfect. Most folks don't swap and swap parts until they get it right, they just fix the damn thing and go on. I have plenty of miles, and have only had one problem, my coils did go at 129k... For a 4 1/2 year old car I'll say that's ok. I've only spent $300 on coils (beyond brakes and oil), on a $30,000 car in 5 years. That works for me!!!
And thats all good and fine, is I was at 129K miles I wouldnt be complaining, but I had this care for just over two months before things started going wrong, and while thats annoying the thing that upsets me is neither the dealer nor Nissan seem interested in anything but getting the most money possible from me. The dealer wants $99 to hook up a programmer and tell me what AutoZone will tell me for free, I mean I understand labor costs and everything, but your talking about something that takes a couple minutes tops to do. Thats just trying to stick people for money.

And then, according to the dealer, its gotta be something ridiciulous before they will cover any part of it.

And I've allready (before this problem) spent $325 on the car, that was well under 6 months in to it and under 40k miles.

Now, I'm sorry if this seems a little intolerant to you, but to me, theres NO reason why a problem like these coil packs should be happening THIS frequently and getting this kind of a response. The dealer and nissan both said its a very infrequent problem, yet the dealer is out of stock on the parts and almost every other dealer I called (and several parts stores) said they go through a pretty fair amount of them, alot of which are relatively low mileage vehicles.

Again, if it was happening at 129k miles I wouldnt have the slightest problem.

And unfortunately right now I've recently lost my job (yay IT) so no, right now I cant afford dropping $340 on coil packs that by all rights should NOT be even close to going bad.

My attitude isnt wrong, and I'm not asking for perfection, but this is a load of crap.

And as to people not swapping and swapping parts, ok, so I should have just spend 5x more to fix the problem rather than take the time to see if maybe, just maybe the ECU was wrong, and it appears it was)....thats just stupid.

If the ECU had been right about the cylinder I wouldnt have been swapping and swapping parts, I would have fixed it and moved on.
Old 01-19-2004, 07:27 AM

Again, if it was happening at 129k miles I wouldnt have the slightest problem.

My attitude isnt wrong, and I'm not asking for perfection, but this is a load of crap.

I will agree Nissan is on thin ice with me. I dont even have 35k and ive already been to the stealership 3 times in 2 months. The next nearest nissan/infinity dealership is 1 hr 15 mins away. I can take time off of work every time I need service. I dont expect a perfect car but it should be better than my old POS intrepid which got totaled at 135k .
Old 01-20-2004, 09:08 PM

Amen my last Maxima (a '96) was awesome, I got rid of it, oh somewhere around 121k miles I think, AWESOME car, loved it and NOTHING major went wrong on that car.

Made me not even hesitate to buy another one, but this experience, and knowing that I'm far from alone, and being treated the way I get treated (3 of the 4 dealerships have been nothing but lacking in the help dept. and sometimes just downright rude, nissan themselves pretty much just seem to want to get me off the phone as fast as possible while doing as little as possible) really makese me think twice.

Its a shame too really because I LOVE Nissan, I am SO disappointed in the way this has gone its not funny. I LOVE the new Z, and the new Maxima. Heck I love my current Maxima, I just don't think this is acceptable treatment.

But back on topic its pushing 140 miles and no SES light, so it looks like the ECU was just wrong (or circumstances caused it to just go that way) and 4 was the actual bad cyl.

Man I sure wish I just would have spent 5x more and "fixed the problem and moved on".

Sorry, couldnt pass that up.

Anyway, thanks for all the info from people on this forum, made it possible to get through this without being molested by the dealership.

Thanks.
-Balthazar-
Old 01-20-2004, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I agree with nissan service, it sucks!

I have 78K on my 2k1, I'm on my third set of rotors on the front (stock-stealn-brembo), 2 sets of pads, haven't touched the rears... Recently replaced a MAF sensor; I have a P0420 SES light on; and I think my coils are going bad no codes...

I drive a lot and the car seems to be requiring more attention now more than ever.

BUT I am determined to get over it I don't want to give up my max I love the car.

I need to get a few more years out of it and then maybe something more 'reliable'...

Good luck with your problems
Robert
Old 01-20-2004, 09:57 PM

I also feel your pain. I went through a huge fiasco with Nissan NA over my MAF sensor, and in the end lost $500 for replacement cost and laboer etc. just last week I got the SES light and I pulled the codes today. Ends up I got a misfire on cyl 6 along with a primary ignition coil failure code too. I cleared the codes adn it seems to run fine (for now) but I know there is a $350 dent coming to my wallet for new coils in the near future (yuck). Im only at 50K myself. I love Nissan as much as the next guy, but you would think that if your cars had bad reliabilty ratings ranging from O2 sensor to MAF and ignition coils since the early to mid 90's you would try to concentrate on resolving that reputation, but thats just me....ah its a shame, but what can you do? Just grin and bear it my friend, if its not your car its something else!! such is life