5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cattman headers installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2004, 03:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Cattman headers installed

Hello group. Finally got around to it.

First, an intruduction. The car I drive I inherited from my wife after we purchased her a new Murano. Prior to this vehicle I had an RX8 (2 actually), Jetta 1.8T (chipped of course) and a supercharged Dodge Dakota. Horsepower is my friend (unfortunately the RX8 had to go back, but that's a story for another time).

My other vehicles are a CBR1000 powered TriMagnum, Ducati Monster 620, and a fuel injected '66 Chevy II with 400+hp (says the specs, but I'll have to wait and see when she's done).

I have an '00 SE auto with 26K miles. Performance mods prior to this were only a Stillin intake and RSB. I installed the catback portion of the Cattman system myself when I received it. The sound and fit were perfect, in my opinion. That was 2 months ago.

I couldn't seem to find time to do the headers, so I finally asked the shop that maintains my delivery vehicles to do it. I explained in detail (I thought) how to relocate the 02 sensors (CA spec car, thanks to all those that have posted said info here) and finally picked up the car after a week in the shop last Friday. It was late and I didn't even look under the hood, just fired her up and went for a drive. All seemed well, until about 40 miles later - SES. Car still running fine, went home for the night and waited until Sat morning to check it out.

Sat morning - look under the car and to my horror find two 02 bungs reinstalled into the headers in the approximate location as the stockers...clearly my mechanic did NOT understand what was to be done - and furthermore has now screwed up the headers, finish, etc.

Sun morning - as I am impatient, I decide to take care of the relocating of the 02 sensors myself. Had some trouble with clearance of the sensors. The Cattman system has one 02 bung in the b-pipe and I installed another beside it. Bad idea. It took some shimming of a crossmember to get these to have enough clearance. During this 5+ hour screw around process I had disconnected the battery hoping the SES would reset - it has not yet.

Now, for the part most of you care about. No, I don't have any dyno results - and before you tear into me for suggesting that the butt-dyno actually does work - consider this:

Do you buy a car because of how the numbers tells you it runs, or because how your butt/heart/smile on your face tells you how it feels? Since gearheads like us have a passion for driving, please don't dismiss the butt dyno. Hell, the RX8 "only" has 238 bhp it turns out - but let me assure you that car hauls some serious butt (and handles oh so sweet).

So, how does it fell? Great. Yes, I'm certain some lower end power is gone (say below 2800 rpm) and in normal driving (read - with your mother behind the wheel) you'll probably feel the car is somewhat slower. However, anything from about 70% throttle position all the way to the floor (and above 3K rpm, of course) feels better. From about 4,800 rpm to redline the car simply sings and has certain increase in power. I have a Gtech with baselines but have not done any runs with it yet. I'll post them here when I do. Sound - Really sweet - but possibly a touch loud for my taste. I'll have to live with it for a while and see.

Would I do it again? Hate to say it - but no. The reason why is if you read my introduction you'll notice that I inherited this car from my wife. This car isn't really my cup of tea - and even though I feel the improvement was worth the money - I still want something different. I used to love this car before I owned the RX8 - but the balance and feel of a RWD vehicle is calling to me...so...the Maxima will be leaving our fleet within 12 months.

Would I recommend it? Depends what you're after. I wouldn't install them myself (and I'm quite mechanically inclined) because they appear to be a pain in the rear. If I were seeking adding FI I'm sure these headers would be a must. If you love your Maxima and are looking for an at least perceived (and I'll bet real $$$ that the perceived increase in power is real) performance improvement and a definate topend rush with a killer exhaust note (no rice) then yes, I would recommend them.

Now I'm off for a long drive to really check them out. Should my opinion change from above after a week or so of driving, I'll post it here.

Good luck to those that go for it, and please, no flames here. It's tough to get anything automotive done these days with child #2 less than 2 months away and child #1 two years old and wanting to help daddy do everything :-)
Old 01-18-2004, 04:22 PM

nice post....so it has a deeper tone with the headers on?
Old 01-18-2004, 08:46 PM
Still Here... IM me for more..

Which crossmemeber did you have problems with?

I had no problems with my install...

Check out the pics on my cardomain site.
Old 01-18-2004, 11:39 PM
Future Camaro SS owner

Looks like I am going to be the one to do this. I plan to sell my y-pipe and get the headers. I have a y-pipe, Injen, EVO dyno. And I will do a B4 and after dyno. I just need to do some more OT for the cash since I had to use all the money I saved to fix from accident.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:21 AM

do these headers include a y-pipe? And how much more power are these headers supposed to get over the y? Would buying a y pipe be a better bang for your buck?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Replies...

Originally Posted by Shift_VQ
do these headers include a y-pipe? And how much more power are these headers supposed to get over the y? Would buying a y pipe be a better bang for your buck?

This has been discussed before - but no. The headers and "Y pipe" if you will are integral. Ypipe might be better bang for the buck (effort) but can't say for sure since I didn't have one before - just the stock CA spec exhaust.

Forgot to mention I do have a VB mod as well.

The tone is somewhat deeper and just has a real killer "rrrrriiiiipppppp" to it, if you know what I mean.

The crossmember I had trouble with is the main one - big black one - in that when the engine twists under torque it causes the ends of the 02 sensors to come into contact with it. Still does, even after shimming. I'm going to drop it out real quick and "modify" it to perfection.

Still have an SES and it is getting me concerned. I'm stuck on jury duty rest of this week for sure - not sure when I'll get back to this "project".

I think I'll probably put the stock muffler assembly back on to silence this beast a little - anyone interested in the Cattman? Has about 1500 miles on it....
Old 01-19-2004, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by wildwhl
This has been discussed before - but no. The headers and "Y pipe" if you will are integral. Ypipe might be better bang for the buck (effort) but can't say for sure since I didn't have one before - just the stock CA spec exhaust.

Forgot to mention I do have a VB mod as well.

The tone is somewhat deeper and just has a real killer "rrrrriiiiipppppp" to it, if you know what I mean.

The crossmember I had trouble with is the main one - big black one - in that when the engine twists under torque it causes the ends of the 02 sensors to come into contact with it. Still does, even after shimming. I'm going to drop it out real quick and "modify" it to perfection.

Still have an SES and it is getting me concerned. I'm stuck on jury duty rest of this week for sure - not sure when I'll get back to this "project".

I think I'll probably put the stock muffler assembly back on to silence this beast a little - anyone interested in the Cattman? Has about 1500 miles on it....
How much???
Old 01-20-2004, 08:51 AM

How much??? and are there pictures???