5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lack of power?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 03:16 PM

Lack of power?

Hi all

I've had my 03 se auto for 7 months now and I love it, but I have a problem, or maybe I don't!

When I first got the car I was amazed at it's acceleration, partly because I have always owned four cylinder cars (626, corolla, stanza, nx2000). My Max blew me away!

Recently though, and it may be because I am used to it, but I feel it is not as fast as it was. I have only 17k on it, but it seems to have lost some of its kick.

I have asked questions before about the TSB for the maf sensor, and I was told that if that were the problem, the car would have trouble getting above 2500 rpms and would the power loss would be a hugely noticeable difference.

I have no problems like that though. It gets up and goes, but not like I remember it. I wrote this in a another thread, but I recently had trouble taking a 2000 celica, although I didn't max the car out, but I figured I would cream him no prob. Since then I have been wondering about this.

Again, maybe it is just me, I am kind of a malcontent sometimes and maybe I just need to upgrade to a faster car, but I love my Max. I am considering a K&N filter and a 4" exhaust so maybe that will help?

Anyone have issues like this? Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not a mechanically inclined person when it comes to cars, but I know a little.

Maybe I'm just mental!
Old 01-24-2004, 03:27 PM
Reported

i recently had my spark plugs cleaned as well as my air filter and one of my ignition coils replaced. before i had that work done, i would punch the accelator and the car would pause for a sec like it was gasping for air then it would quickly gather speed. after the work was done the power was much more instantanous to the point i nearly peeled out taking a right of the mechanics place because i had been so use to the power delay.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Gsilk
i recently had my spark plugs cleaned as well as my air filter and one of my ignition coils replaced. before i had that work done, i would punch the accelator and the car would pause for a sec like it was gasping for air then it would quickly gather speed. after the work was done the power was much more instantanous to the point i nearly peeled out taking a right of the mechanics place because i had been so use to the power delay.

Wow, I know that pause/hesitation you're talking about. Maybe this is what I need. IS it possible this needs to be done at only 17k miles though?
Old 01-24-2004, 03:38 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

TSB NTB03-023 "might" cure your problems...

Check the TSB thread at the top of the forum.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
TSB NTB03-023 "might" cure your problems...

Check the TSB thread at the top of the forum.

Thanks a lot, I found the TSB and I will take it in ASAP.
Old 01-24-2004, 03:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

First off, don't get a K&N filter. IMO they are not worth the money and will not give you more power. Get an intake replacement. Injen, Weapon R etc... There are many to choose from. About the hesitation: My 02 had the same problem you are talking about. It felt quick, but didn't have that hard "pull" it had used to. I took the car into the dealer on two seperate occasions and was told the "lack of hesitation" tsb did not apply to my car and they could do nothing. My maf sensor ended up blowing a short time later. When the maf sensor is blown, this is when you will have the problems w/ the car not going above 2500 rpm and bucking and sputtering. The dealer put in an updated maf and this upgrade required them to reprogram the computer. I got the car back and the difference was huge! The car felt so strong. 2003 Maximas are supposed to have this upgraded maf.
Old 01-24-2004, 04:07 PM

sorry for the dumb question but what is TSB?? details??
thanx
Old 01-24-2004, 04:24 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally Posted by PearlWhtMaX2000
sorry for the dumb question but what is TSB?? details??
thanx
Technical Service Bulletin

There is a sticky/FAQ at the top of this forum for the 5th Genners...