5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2001, 06:27 PM

Re: Re: price quote from Courtesy

Originally posted by Coldboot-SE
I believe the "2" and the "3" in the prior post
are ITEM numbers off the form and it should look like this;

76749-40U00 Proctector 5.43ea
172290-2Y000 Proctector 9.94 ea
01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip
Thanks
WiC
Courtesy Nissan
1777 North Central Expressway
Richardson Texas 75080

I'll make my order tomorrow on the phone to insure I get all the appropriate parts, but I'm still befuddled how there
can be such a price variance on "Nissan" parts between dealers.

Dave
Could someone tell me how many of each piece in this list is needed? Thanks.
Old 04-20-2001, 07:04 PM

Re: Re: Re: price quote from Courtesy

Originally posted by SFMax20SE

Could someone tell me how many of each piece in this list is needed? Thanks.
I should know the complete answer to this but I don't . However, I can tell you that you'll need at least the following:

NI17290-2Y000 PROTECTOR-FILLE QTY: 1
NI01553-09321 CLIP QTY: 4

I didn't bother to ask how many screws and, as a matter of fact, didn't even know about the second protector until it was posted up here.
Old 05-09-2001, 06:37 PM
batesst

Re: Manufacturing Flaw

Originally posted by jjs
A Nissan parts person I have spoken to told me to get as many of us in the Forum to call 1-800-NISSAN1 and complain about the issue in order to get a larger voice than individually talking to dealerships.
I live in the DC area and saw this post about the missing
shield to cover the gas pipe in the wheel well and I looked at my 2001 SE 20th and sure enough it is missing.

I will be making some calls myself to dealer & NISSAN!

Thanks for the great observation.

Steve
DC area

Old 05-09-2001, 07:31 PM

Re: Re: Manufacturing Flaw

Originally posted by batesst

I live in the DC area and saw this post about the missing
shield to cover the gas pipe in the wheel well and I looked at my 2001 SE 20th and sure enough it is missing.

I will be making some calls myself to dealer & NISSAN!

Thanks for the great observation.

Steve
DC area
No problem. Glad we were able to help out.

BTW, do us all a favor while you're in DC and start kickin' some government @ss and get them to "convince" OPEC to increase production.
Old 05-11-2001, 08:29 AM

Re: Re: price quote from Courtesy

I believe the "2" and the "3" in the prior post
are ITEM numbers off the form and it should look like this;

1 of 76749-40U00 Proctector 5.43ea
1 of 17290-2Y000 Proctector 9.94 ea
4 of 01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
? of 01451-00841 .67 ea screw
? of 01461-00991 .54 ea screw
? of 63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
? of 768820m000 2.83 ea clip

Dave
This is what I gathered after I tried to order the pieces...The larger shield (17290-2Y000) is currently on "national back order". It seems like a lot of people jumped on it and bought out whatever stock Nisaan had.

Oh well...

Green
Old 05-11-2001, 08:32 AM

Originally posted by HawaiiA33
Just got my AE back from the dealer and they (luckily) also installed that second smaller splash shield. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I broght the car in. That smaller piece covers some (what looks like) vacuum lines under the left rear bumper. It fills the lowest part of the rear part of the wheel well.
Is it possible for you to see how many screws or clips are needed for the complete installation?

Thanks!

Green
Old 06-14-2001, 05:13 PM

Has anybody installed this splash shield by themselves ?
I ordered the part from courtesy, but I'm not sure if any additional screws are needed, the shield came with 4 plastic clips. Is it an easy install if I remove the back wheel ?
Old 06-14-2001, 06:15 PM

Easy install

Since I originally posted the part #'s and pricing I got from Courtesy Nissan, I received all the parts within a week.

Taking the rear Driver's side wheel off would make the job easier, but not necessary, as it took me a total of 15 minutes without the wheel removed to install the upper shield with the 4 clips ( nothing could be easier) once you get the orientation of the shield and where each of the clips mount to. the only real tool you'll need is a Good flashlight (the bigger the better) unless you remove your wheel.

A piece of cake as they say (dealer wanted $25 to do it)

Dave
Old 06-14-2001, 07:39 PM

Re: Easy install

Since I originally posted the part #'s and pricing I got from Courtesy Nissan, I received all the parts within a week.

...it took me a total of 15 minutes without the wheel removed to install the upper shield with the 4 clips ( nothing could be easier)

Dave
Good job. The question that still gets me is why they would "discontinue" a part like that. As the wise owl used to say... "The world may never know".

Cheers!
Old 06-15-2001, 06:33 AM

"Extra Parts"

The only scary part is some bean-counter is determining essential and non-essential parts post production. IMHO deleting a $15 part on a 20K+ cart is chickenfeed, where else did they cut corners?

I see some encountered better service at their dealers, but mine being a large internet multi-manufacturer conglomerate
put the parts manager on me rather than deal with the issue,
and when you think about it, sucking up $15-20 on a deal isn't too bad, but having to do that on 300 units has it's drawbacks.............the ones that should bear the blame are the higher Corporate types that come up with these Ideas.

I hope the shear numbers of complaints give the corporation some idea of concern at our level prior to them making that decision on that "Extra Brake Pad"

Dave
Old 06-15-2001, 10:23 AM

Re: Easy install

Taking the rear Driver's side wheel off would make the job easier, but not necessary, as it took me a total of 15 minutes without the wheel removed to install the upper shield with the 4 clips ( nothing could be easier) once you get the orientation of the shield and where each of the clips mount to. the only real tool you'll need is a Good flashlight (the bigger the better) unless you remove your wheel.

Dave
So the only part needed is the shroud and the 4 clips ?
Somebody posted previously that the following parts are needed:

01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip

what's all these extra screws and clips for ?
if I install it with the wheel on, do i need to jack the car up ?
Old 06-15-2001, 02:19 PM

Re: "Extra Parts"

The only scary part is some bean-counter is determining essential and non-essential parts post production.
Dave
That sounds like a very plausible explanation of what happened.

All the problems and recalls mentioned on this forum should be a warning for those waiting to jump on the brand new Altima. The first couple of years of a new model are likely to have a number of flaws, and Nissan is not immune to it, as evidenced by the new Maxima.

Other brands are even worse. The current Audi A4 is in its 5th (6th?) and final year, but the control arm problem (also present on the Passat) is apparently still not solved.

What's a guy to do? I guess one has to either learn to live with the possibilities of things going wrong with his "prized possessions", or just buy a cheapo 10K car and don't give a damn about it. Maybe I should buy a Hyundai and toss it in the garbage after it stops running beyond it's 60K waranty. That will put an end to my ongoing dilemma about choosing a new car (isn't life tough )
Old 06-15-2001, 05:23 PM
rocket702

Missing splash guard

I just found this thread. I am new to the board, but I can see it has been going on for a while. I just crawled under my 2001 GXE and it DID NOT have the part. I could see the filler neck and the little drain hole.

So what do I do next? Will I just have to pay for it or will the dealer replace it? I am at a loss.

I work in a manufacturing plant and I know how parts can get left off a product. It sucks, but it was probably the result of some kind of cost reduction program.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Old 06-15-2001, 09:32 PM

Re: Missing splash guard

Originally posted by rocket702
I just found this thread. I am new to the board, but I can see it has been going on for a while.
Thanks for any help or advice.
Welcome to the .org!

I'd suggest, if you haven't done so already, go through all umpteen pages of this thread (there's a couple of other threads in this forum covering this) and see how other's have made out, get the part numbers, etc. If you've already done that, then you should have enough info to go into your dealer, talk to the service manager and ask him, try not to tell him, to install the part for you. More bees with honey and all that.

Good luck!

Cheers!
Old 06-16-2001, 09:18 AM
SaBomK40

just more of the same

Sure enough, when I look in the wheel well of my 6 week old 2K1 SE this morning, wouldn't ya know it, no cover in sight, dirt everywhere, and dirt inside the filler door.

Oh well, I'm off to my local dealer (George Harte Nissan, West Haven CT), with the part numbers I gathered from this list to try get what I should already have.

Old 06-17-2001, 08:17 PM

I recently purchased an Infiniti I30t and have been a reader of this board for months. Great info!! Guess what....just found this particular topic on Friday and thought, I bet my I30 will be in the same boat as the Max's. Looked at it on Saturday when I was cleaning up the car. Just what I thought, no splashguard!!!!!!! Does anyone know if the splashguards for the Maxima will fit my car? My Infiniti dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away, but do have a Nissan dealer here in town.

How difficult is it to put the parts on WITHOUT taking the tire off or jacking the car up? Is it possible to do myself.
Old 06-17-2001, 09:13 PM

Originally posted by cpa4u
I recently purchased an Infiniti I30t and have been a reader of this board for months. Great info!! Guess what....just found this particular topic on Friday and thought, I bet my I30 will be in the same boat as the Max's. Looked at it on Saturday when I was cleaning up the car. Just what I thought, no splashguard!!!!!!! Does anyone know if the splashguards for the Maxima will fit my car? My Infiniti dealer is about 2 1/2 hours away, but do have a Nissan dealer here in town.

How difficult is it to put the parts on WITHOUT taking the tire off or jacking the car up? Is it possible to do myself.
No idea if the Max one will fit, but it's fairly simple to install it yourself. I didn't take off the wheel, but I did have to jack the car up to get into the well better.
Old 06-18-2001, 10:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

This one really has me perplexed.

I talked to the dealer about this today, but none of the other vehicles on the lot have this part.

I did talk to the parts department, and the parts do exist.

He even gave me a print out of the illustrations. This is where I get really confused though, the two illustration he gave me don't seem right. The 76749 part shows up an a "body side fitting" illustration and looks like it goes inside the fuel compartment,

The other part shows up on the "floor fitting" illustration but the callout is 74844P on the illustration. He says that the callout number is not always the same as the part number. Is this true or did he just give me the wrong illustration?

None of this is making sense. I am trying to find illustrations so when I further up the chain I have actual proof that the part should be their.

Dealer can't do anything, because none of the other vehicles have one on there lot. He even went to his used lot to look. He said if he could find one that did, he could do it no problem. He did offer to do it for just the cost of the parts, which seems fair. I am just hoping that if I can get the right illustrations that this will make the Nissan field rep tell the dealer to do it all for free.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-18-2001, 11:35 PM

My fuel filler guard assembly (or whatever it's called) was installed last week under warranty by Streeter-Smith Nissan in Conroe, Texas. The service guy said no one had ever brought it to his attention before, said it's no problem, ordered the parts (I supplied the parts numbers, found here at Maxima.org), notified me when they came in, and got the work done while I waited.

You shouldn't have to pay for something which is already supposed to be attached to the machine!!

My speculation: an attempt at cost savings by Nissan, and only fixed if brought to their attention. If your dealer won't fix it, go to another (my warranty fix was done at a dealer OTHER than the one where I bought the car).
Old 06-19-2001, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by umpopa
My fuel filler guard assembly (or whatever it's called) was installed last week under warranty by Streeter-Smith Nissan in Conroe, Texas. The service guy said no one had ever brought it to his attention before, said it's no problem, ordered the parts (I supplied the parts numbers, found here at Maxima.org), notified me when they came in, and got the work done while I waited.

You shouldn't have to pay for something which is already supposed to be attached to the machine!!

My speculation: an attempt at cost savings by Nissan, and only fixed if brought to their attention. If your dealer won't fix it, go to another (my warranty fix was done at a dealer OTHER than the one where I bought the car).
Good job. We keep this up, we can start posting numbers like McDonalds: Over a Billion Served!
Old 06-19-2001, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by chilly
This one really has me perplexed.

I talked to the dealer about this today, but none of the other vehicles on the lot have this part.

I did talk to the parts department, and the parts do exist.

He even gave me a print out of the illustrations. This is where I get really confused though, the two illustration he gave me don't seem right. The 76749 part shows up an a "body side fitting" illustration and looks like it goes inside the fuel compartment,

The other part shows up on the "floor fitting" illustration but the callout is 74844P on the illustration. He says that the callout number is not always the same as the part number. Is this true or did he just give me the wrong illustration?

None of this is making sense. I am trying to find illustrations so when I further up the chain I have actual proof that the part should be their.

Dealer can't do anything, because none of the other vehicles have one on there lot. He even went to his used lot to look. He said if he could find one that did, he could do it no problem. He did offer to do it for just the cost of the parts, which seems fair. I am just hoping that if I can get the right illustrations that this will make the Nissan field rep tell the dealer to do it all for free.

Any help would be appreciated.
I'm reading and typing directly from my work order:

4 #01553-09321 Clips
1 #17290-2Y000 Protector

That should work for you. If they have questions, have them contact Parts @ Stones River Motors 615.893.0252. They were great to work with and charged me nothing. Good luck...by the way...nice car!
Old 06-19-2001, 07:27 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Unfortunately I don't have another dealer close by to try and get the repair done at.

My local dealer just notified that he will not be able to install the part under warranty since none of the other 5 Maxima's on the lot have the part installed. He believes that it may have been a mid-production change. He directed me to Nissan to see if I couldn't get them to agree to the fix.

I am a little annoyed that some are getting the repair done under warranty and some of us aren't.

Any other thoughts on how I should approach Nissan, other than with the info hear?
Old 06-19-2001, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by chilly
Unfortunately I don't have another dealer close by to try and get the repair done at.

My local dealer just notified that he will not be able to install the part under warranty since none of the other 5 Maxima's on the lot have the part installed. He believes that it may have been a mid-production change. He directed me to Nissan to see if I couldn't get them to agree to the fix.

I am a little annoyed that some are getting the repair done under warranty and some of us aren't.

Any other thoughts on how I should approach Nissan, other than with the info hear?
Hey, when I presented this issue to my dealer, I told them up front that some dealers were doing it free and some guys paid for it themselves. I printed this entire thread and gave it to the dealer for them to review, as well. You don't need to back off of this one. If necessary, I'll fax my work order to you or your dealer or both. There is no reason for you to pay for something that most nearly all of us are getting for free. Good luck...and don't give up!

Scott
Old 06-20-2001, 11:27 AM

Hey chilly,
Don't feel bad... I got the same treatment from my dealership also. They went through the whole lot of 10 Maximas, and none had the shield, so they said they can't warrantee a part that is not there. I ended up ordering the parts from Courtesy Nissan and installing it myself. It was about $25 total. It was not worth my time to hassle with the dealer for $25. I let them know that I will not buy anything from them again. So when my brother picked up his Nissan Frontier, guess where we didn't go
Anyway, good like!
Old 06-21-2001, 05:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Good News

Well, at least things appear to be going in the right direction.

I contacted Nissan about this and they agreed the part should be installed on the vehicle. The contacted the dealer and instructed him to set up a time to have the car brought done and the part installed.

At least we are going in the right direction. We will see what happens Monday at the dealer.
Old 06-26-2001, 01:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Odd dealer response to missing part..

I had asked for the part to be installed today a Herb Gordon Nissan and was told this part was discontinued due to dirt getting in behind the "protector" and erroding away the fuel line to the tank...any truth to this...

ZaCh
Old 06-26-2001, 03:25 PM

Re: Odd dealer response to missing part..

Originally posted by ZachMax
I had asked for the part to be installed today a Herb Gordon Nissan and was told this part was discontinued due to dirt getting in behind the "protector" and erroding away the fuel line to the tank...any truth to this...

ZaCh
You are not alone. I got the EXACT same response when I went to my dealer (Armory Nissan)yesterday to order the same parts. The way it is now, all of the crud and salt-laden slush flung off by the rear tire in winter time ends up impacting itself onto the filler pipe. I doubt that the filler pipe will last very long unprotected. The shield will protect the filler pipe, thus preventing rot out by road salt.

Nissan seems to have made it's determination about the grunge/rot fairly rapidly - the shields dissapeared after only one year of production. Maybe Nissan is making the filler pipes out of the same material it uses for paint!
Old 06-26-2001, 03:29 PM

An update regarding the Canadian experience with this issue.The Service manager at my dealer says he knows nothing about it and cant do anything until there is some direction from Nissan Canada. I will contact Nissan this week to push this forward.

I'm 0 for 2 they won't touch the fuel cut TSB either.
Old 06-27-2001, 12:27 AM

Got my part!!

Woo-hoo!
After talking to service guy,a parts guy,and a 1-800-Nissan guy,the dealer finally put it on for me.Free of charge.Yeay
Old 06-29-2001, 10:01 AM
tgif888

Fuel line protector

Thanks guys, I had a 2K Maxima before and I traded it in for the I30t.

I'll see will my dealer installed the fuel line protector for me.

Good info.

Old 06-29-2001, 10:17 AM
tgif888

Same problem

Thanks guy. Great info. I had a 2K Max before but I tradedit in for the I30t.

I had the same fuel line protector problem. I'll see what will Infiniti do.

Old 06-29-2001, 12:52 PM

Thanks Guys, have the same problem with my 01 SE. Went to the dealer none of the cars I looked at had the part, but they ordered it no questions asked(much to my suprise). they called to say it was in to days later. I'm in shock from the good service I recieved.
Old 07-12-2001, 11:50 AM

Talked to dealer about this too...

...you may have seen my post about the paint chips on the other thread already, but I also asked about the fuel filler pipe cover.

Said the service manager, "Nissan may have stopped installing those covers because of corrosion occuring behind the cover." He claimed that the cover holds in gunk & moisture causing inner fender well rot.

I can't say if this is true or not, but FYI that's he said.

Any of you 4th generation owners experinece this problem ?

Old 07-12-2001, 01:10 PM

Re: Talked to dealer about this too...

Originally posted by jopa
[B. . . Said the service manager, "Nissan may have stopped installing those covers because of corrosion occuring behind the cover." He claimed that the cover holds in gunk & moisture causing inner fender well rot. . . .[/B]
Does this mean that there might be a modified fix sometime down the road? Something that protects the filler but doesn't trap stuff?

Norm
Old 07-12-2001, 05:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Well after having contacted Nissan directly they authorized the dealer to install the part.

Had it done two days ago under warranty. If anyone is having trouble getting this done by the dealer, all it took was one phone call to Nissan with the part number, they acknowledged the part should be their and called the dealer same day to authorize.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2001, 06:40 PM

I have spoken with 2 different Infiniti dealers now and 3 different reps from Infiniti Consumer Affairs and they all say that the part WILL NOT be installed under warranty on my '01 I30t. The last rep at Infiniti had me on conference call with some "engineer". He basically said the same thing as posted above, that the part was no left off due to the part trapping material behind it. I asked him about the damage that rocks and road debris would be doing to the line over the years. He said, "we upgraded the material of the fuel line and I guarantee you that you will never have any trouble with road debris hurting that line". I also asked him about all the junk that accumulates in the filler door area without that part. He said, "we are not aware of any foreign material accumulating in that area". I said, well drive an I30 or Maxima in the rain and then open the fuel filler door!

I'm considering ordering the part from a dealer over the net and seeing if I can install it myself. I think the excuse of stuff getting trapped behind the protector is nothing than a smokescreen to avoid admitting they messed up.
Old 07-13-2001, 02:23 PM
tgif888

thanks guy

Finally, I got my car to the dealer to look at the fuel line protector issue. The first service advisor said I am asking the impossible. So, I asked him to look up the parts. Then he admits there indeed a part is missing. He couldn't find out what part. Second advisor comes out, immediately he knows which part and look it up right away. Do you know how much the part cost? It is only $8. Well, the dealer needs to special order it and will do it for free.

Thank you for all you guys help.

Old 07-13-2001, 09:52 PM

My AE doesnt have that part either, but, the car did come with a little rubber grommet that just happens to fit perfectly in the drain hole. I stuck it in there and it has no more sand. This really is not a solution since it is a drain hole but it is holding me over till I get the correct part installed. Plus it is fairly stylish! haha
Old 12-05-2001, 06:59 AM

Anyone try this on a 2002? Will these fit?

4 #01553-09321 Clips
1 #17290-2Y000 Protector

Also, no one ever answered where the extra clips and screws go from the original parts list:

01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip
Old 12-08-2001, 12:05 PM

Sorry for falling off the face of the earth on this thing. I know I posted an update this spring but it looks like I either never sent it or it got lost in the cyber badlands. I receieved and email update just recently so I jumped back on to see that this thread has mushroomed in size.

If you go back about the 3rd page of this thread you'll see my info going back and forth on details with Rcticmax. I did get my part installed after a little convincing with my dealer Wagner Nissan, Simsbury CT. The way they first learned of it? A little old lady came in around the time I did and complained of sand in her gas cap area when she went to fill up her Max. They installed the part for me after calling Nissan and I don't think it hurt that I had done a little research and talked to the Nissan person I know in Chicago who had talked to the engineering team at corporate. I believe my dealer said the part retailed for about $16. And the clip to install it is already there! Sooooooo.....

Stay persistent with your dealers. Spread the word, and reference this BBS to your dealers as well. Nissan made a decision to save a few bucks somewhere in the 2000 to 2001 model year that is coming back to haunt them when folks like us find out. All in all, still the best damn car going....Happy Holidays Max Owners!

Quick Reply: Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!