5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2001, 08:05 PM

We've had quite a winter up here in the Northeast. Lots of snow and therefore lots of salt and sand. I just turned in my 98 Maxima SE off a lease and decided to buy a 2001 AE.

During my first fill up at the gas station, I noticed an awful lot of sand INSIDE the gas fill compartment and the inside of the door itself. Not wanting to risk getting sand down into the tank, I didn't put the cap in the holder.

At the time, I just shrugged it off thinking that perhaps some slush got around the door so I cleaned it out. Every time I filled up the car, more sand. What the...? I never had this problem with my 98 so I'm thinking there must be a problem with the manufacturing quality, perhaps a gasket that needs to be around the door.

I take my car to a dealer near my office, not the one where I purchased it, and the guy tells me he had two other complaints and that there's supposed to be a splash guard covering the gas tube assembly inside the rear-left wheel well. None on mine. He said he couldn't do anything for me since I didn't buy it there. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

I call my dealer service center and he said he's never heard of that before but would look into it. Right. Never heard back from him. So I go in last week for my first oil change and "remind" him of the problem. He can't recall our first conversation about this but he'll look into it.

While I'm waiting, I go into the showroom and look inside the rear-left wheel well of an SE and sure enough, that car has them. I go back and get the service guy and he says "Hmmph, guess they're supposed to be in there, eh?" We go out and look at my car on the lift. Not only am I missing one on the left, but the mechanic working on the car says I'm supposed to have one on the right as well. Both missing! Somebody at the plant that built my car must have had a bad day. The service manager comes over and says about the same thing the other guy says after looking at the showroom model.

What was happening was that the sand was splashing up through the vent hole underneath the mouth of the filler tube and sloshing around in there. What a bummer. I'm totally bummed at Nissan for this. I hope I don't hold this grudge when it comes time for my next car. I paid a pretty penny for this car and expected to at least have all the parts!

I tell ya, if I have one problem with that engine, it's going to point right back to the probability that sand got past my fuel filter.

Bottom line:

What you want to look for is a black plastic shield that is contoured to the inside of the wheel well and covers the filler tube. If it's not there, you're probably seeing what I've seen unless you live down south. Whatever the case, you should take your car back to the dealer and have them install the splash guards if you find them missing.

Good luck. I hope you don't have the same problem.

[Edited by RcticMax on 03-06-2001 at 10:17 PM]
Old 03-06-2001, 08:52 PM

guards

I have the AE also and I don't have that part. Maybe they took them off to fit the side skirt???
Old 03-06-2001, 10:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Splash Guards?

Referring to them as splash guards is confusing me. We are not talking about the actual splash guard option that is available on the car, correct? You are talking about something behind the wheel? Do you have a photo?
Old 03-07-2001, 07:21 AM

Duh!

He is talking about INSIDE the wheel well on the left rear side. You can see where the gas fill service tube goes to the fuel filler cap....and the service tube should be covered with a black piece of plastic running to the top of the wheel well (where the fuel filler cap is) to the bottom of the wheel well (where the gas tank is). Luckily, mine is there.

This really amazes me that Nissan would leave this part off. By the way....what did you mean about the one on the right side of your car was missing too? My right rear wheel well has no covers or tubes that need to be covered.

[Edited by warrlocked on 03-07-2001 at 09:25 AM]
Old 03-07-2001, 07:36 AM

I'll take a look at mine. Here in NJ, it is illegal to pump your own gas, so if mine is missing I probably wouldn't have noticed. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:23 AM
Moe

Why is it illegal to pump your own gas?
Old 03-07-2001, 10:16 AM
Moe

Why is it illegal to pump your own gas?
Old 03-07-2001, 10:33 AM
dvyuan

It is wierd over there, I was on a buisness trip and pulled into a gas station for gas. I from California, so I got out and started pumping and the gas attendant told me to get back in my car and that I'm not allowed to touch the pump. It was a wierd experience. Out in California it is all self service.

I will have to look at mine too.... I certainly hope my splash covers are there.

Old 03-07-2001, 10:54 AM

Fuirther Clarification

Michael98033 - I agree it can be confusing. That's what the mechanic called them (splash guards) and I don't know what else to call them. The pieces I'm talking about go well inside the wheel wells themselves, NOT on the outside attached to the bottom of the rear quarter panel. I tried to be as descriptive as I could (black plastic piece that contours to the inside of the wheel well... etc.). Sorry if I confused you.

warrlocked - I wouldn't think there would be one on the right side either but the mechanic said it should be there.

Moe and dvyuan - NJ has this thing where they attempt to minimize topping-off at the pump so they don't trust the consumer to pump their own gas. Anything they can do to reduce "toxic" spills (whatever that additive is they put in gas (I forget the abbreviation) is really causing a stir with the environmentalist and the government is beginning to rethink that whole additive thing) they'll do.

Hope this helps a little.
Old 03-07-2001, 11:43 AM

Filler seal missing

First off I would write a strong letter to the manager of the dealer (where you didn't buy the car) and let him know you were blown off concerning a warrantee problem.
Where you buy the car has nothing to do with warrantee issues. What if you were on a trip? Any dealer would have to fix your car if it was a warrantee thing. Nissan warrantees the car, not a specific dealer. These idiots should give you some free oil changes for their attitude.

Second, no sand should be in the tank so long as the cap was always on tight.

Third, the reason they mentioned the right side is probably because the engineers wanted a true opposite part in the wheel well. It is the lazy way to do it, plus then the plug needs to go on the right side also, probably so sand doesn't end up in the cavity where the jack goes. Bad design.

Mike, 747 design engineer, structures
Old 03-07-2001, 12:15 PM

Originally posted by dvyuan
It is wierd over there, I was on a buisness trip and pulled into a gas station for gas. I from California, so I got out and started pumping and the gas attendant told me to get back in my car and that I'm not allowed to touch the pump. It was a wierd experience. Out in California it is all self service.

I will have to look at mine too.... I certainly hope my splash covers are there.
Oregon is the same way.. can't pump your own gas there either. They're the only two states in the union that are that retarded.
Old 03-07-2001, 12:22 PM

Nope...Idaho is retarded too...

Originally posted by punkdork
Oregon is the same way.. can't pump your own gas there either. They're the only two states in the union that are that retarded.
You're allowed to pump your own gas, but its just the state in general.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:17 PM

Re: Fuirther Clarification

Originally posted by RcticMax
Michael98033 -

Moe and dvyuan - NJ has this thing where they attempt to minimize topping-off at the pump so they don't trust the consumer to pump their own gas. Anything they can do to reduce "toxic" spills (whatever that additive is they put in gas (I forget the abbreviation) is really causing a stir with the environmentalist and the government is beginning to rethink that whole additive thing) they'll do.

Hope this helps a little.
It's not a new law though. I'm 41 and it's always been that way as along as I can remember. That's before they started oxygenating (?) fuel and putting additives in it.
Old 03-07-2001, 03:34 PM

For the price we pay in San Diego, they should pump your gas , clean your windshield, and polish your shoes. So when you filled up your car, besides the sand, did you notice anything missing or out of the ordinary on the top side?? Could you see into the wheel well?? I also would worry about sand getting into the tank. Think about trucks and even some jeeps I think that don't have any gas filler door at all.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:08 PM

Follow-up

mike-777 - I spoke with Nissan today about the problem and actually got a "File" opened on the problem. We'll see if anything comes about. In the course of the conversation, we discussed the first dealer's response to them fixing it and she said since they were independently owned and operated, they have the option to deny service. Never heard that one before. I thought all dealerships were independently owned and operated. You have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm not so much worried about sand getting down the tube while the cap is on, rather when you put the cap in the holder on the door, the end of the cap rests against the door and the door has sand on it. So the sand would be transferred to the gas cap and therefore exposed to the inside of the tube when it's placed back on.

NYC2SD - Nope, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from just looking at it. It wasn't until I stopped at the dealer near my office did the service guy point it out to me. Never would have known if I didn't ask. You have to look into the wheel well to see it. If you can see the tube itself, you are definitely missing the part. About the trucks and jeeps that don't have doors, see what I mentioned in the paragraph above about resting the cap in its holder. That's how I could see the sand making its way down into the tank.

Old 03-07-2001, 06:25 PM

nj gas law

I was told that NJ used to have a lower price for self serve than for full serve. The handicapped individuals claimed discrimination because they could not take advantage of the lower price of self serve, so they went to full serve for all at the higher price as not to discriminate.
Old 03-07-2001, 06:32 PM

You could be right about the handicap thing. I was told a while ago about the environmental thing but, hey, that guy could have been full of it.
Old 03-07-2001, 08:23 PM

Your Fine in Georgia and Florida

Its Okay!...you can pump your own gas!!
Old 03-07-2001, 08:39 PM

Re: Follow-up

mike-777 - I spoke with Nissan today about the problem and actually got a "File" opened on the problem. We'll see if anything comes about. In the course of the conversation, we discussed the first dealer's response to them fixing it and she said since they were independently owned and operated, they have the option to deny service. Never heard that one before. I thought all dealerships were independently owned and operated. You have any thoughts on this?

Also, I'm not so much worried about sand getting down the tube while the cap is on, rather when you put the cap in the holder on the door, the end of the cap rests against the door and the door has sand on it. So the sand would be transferred to the gas cap and therefore exposed to the inside of the tube when it's placed back on.

NYC2SD - Nope, didn't notice anything out of the ordinary from just looking at it. It wasn't until I stopped at the dealer near my office did the service guy point it out to me. Never would have known if I didn't ask. You have to look into the wheel well to see it. If you can see the tube itself, you are definitely missing the part. About the trucks and jeeps that don't have doors, see what I mentioned in the paragraph above about resting the cap in its holder. That's how I could see the sand making its way down into the tank.

Wow, I have the same problem.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:24 PM

IMPORTANT - If you are missing this part...

Greek to the Max (and any other poor soul that is missing the part) - It is VERY important that you contact Nissan at 1-800-Nissan1 (wait for the automated menu to finish and hang on the line for a Customer Service Rep) and report your problem.

We need to let them know that they screwed up in their manufacturing and QC/QA departments and hopefully help out (through a TSB) any unsuspecting owner before it manifests itself into a ruined engine in their Max.

I may be over-exaggerating here but better safe than sorry.
Old 03-07-2001, 09:42 PM

hahahah i too have had a lazy worker work on my car.. he or she forgot to put screws in my right rear speaker in the door panel. and the left rear was missing one screw.. man those guys are screwy..
Old 03-10-2001, 09:52 AM

Not Just 2001

I just put some gas in my car and noticed quite a bit of sand around the gas tank. I looked under the car while I was at the gas station but couldn't see where the fuel line was running. I'm going to keep an eye on it. If there is sand there will be another trip back to Nissan!
Old 03-10-2001, 04:30 PM

I looked at my gas cap today and noticed that there a 3 holes around the outside of the cap that I can see through.

I havent checked in the wheel well...there is a little bit of sand inside the fuel door but nothing major. Are these holes supposed to be see thru?

Man..that load of crap that Nissan NA gave you about being independently owned so they can deny anyone they want is so typical....their CS is SO frikkin bad.
Old 03-10-2001, 04:34 PM

holes

The holes by your gas tank cap are drain holes. They let water out but it looks like if you are missing the part in the wheelwell, water and sand can come up when you drive instead of draining out!
Old 03-10-2001, 11:25 PM

A non-update update...

Well, it's been a week since my missing parts were (apparently) ordered and haven't heard word one from the dealer. I'm kinda hangin' back on it so I can slam it over their freakin' heads when the parts do come in.

Also, I had expected a call from somebody over at Nissan after having "a file opened" regarding this problem.

Sheyeah, right. WTF is up with that?

Oh well. That's the last large chunk of change Nissan's EVER getting from me. Next up will be either a Beemer or Lex. Couldn't quite reach a 5 series or GS300/400 this time but should be able to next time around.

I'm done with Nissan. The bummer is I only have <3k miles on the thing. Not to mention it stinks driving a car you feel has been "cheapened" by the manufacturers lack of integrity and commitment to customer satisfaction. I wonder what else I'm missing. Now there's a sobering thought.

Throw on top of that the news that next year's model will be sporting a 260-hp engine! More salt for that wound, please.

Maybe I should have just bought my '98 Super Black off the lease. She was perfect not to mention low miles. I loved that car and really miss her, especially now.

Shoulda, coulda, woulda... but I didn't.
Old 03-11-2001, 04:37 AM

Wow, would you like some cheese with that wine? Please, if you think sand around your gas cap is that awful I’d hate to see you with a real problem. As far as parts missing you are miss-informed. Your car is normal, and maybe the design is flawed, instead of crying about it improve it. Most folks won’t even notice it, I too live in the northeast and have noted the sand, it was a minor concern as I use the cap to hold the pump handle while I check the oil. You guys jerk off for untold hours trying to turn lights clear and other dubious projects, guaranteed to lower the resale value of your car, and can’t come up with a fix for this? How about sealing the other two holes and using a 12” piece of PVC tubing hot glue gunned to drain any water away, this will alleviate a direct path for water/sand to get trapped.
Old 03-12-2001, 12:05 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

way to be an ***....

if you read the post and went out to your car, youd realize he's missing a part. A big hunk of plastic inside the wheel well. I suspect (from looking at mine) you might have some trouble without it... AND its asinine that a car could get out of the factory without it. and I'd be pissed if it was missing from my car.. its not.

I'm not sure what it looks like off, but it could even be hazardous if the rear tire threw something up there..
Old 03-12-2001, 07:31 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

I am taken her in...

to have this "investigated" by the service shop. He has "never" heard about this. Gee, never...? Will let everyone know what I find out. Hopefully it will not be to painful.

And for those that think this is whining, when you pay 20 some grand for a car and pieces are missing, does this not bother you? I can fix it myself without a problem but if we continue to let these "simple" things slide, where should we draw the line? The poor paint, the autotranny with multiple TSBs, all the rattles, trunk lids that scratch the bumper, etc, etc, etc... I work extremely hard to be able to afford the car I drive, and expect it to have all pieces and perform like a 20 something car. I expect a manufacturer to take responsibility for what they have done. My guess over all on this one is that it was not "forgotten" but more of a cost cutting measure. How many people will realize that this specific piece is not present?
And it probably saves them a buck or two...(sounds familiar). Not outta my wallet you won't.....
Old 03-12-2001, 12:45 PM

We've had quite a winter up here in the Northeast. Lots of snow and therefore lots of salt and sand. I just turned in my 98 Maxima SE off a lease and decided to buy a 2001 AE.

During my first fill up at the gas station, I noticed an awful lot of sand INSIDE the gas fill compartment and the inside of the door itself. Not wanting to risk getting sand down into the tank, I didn't put the cap in the holder.

At the time, I just shrugged it off thinking that perhaps some slush got around the door so I cleaned it out. Every time I filled up the car, more sand. What the...? I never had this problem with my 98 so I'm thinking there must be a problem with the manufacturing quality, perhaps a gasket that needs to be around the door.

I take my car to a dealer near my office, not the one where I purchased it, and the guy tells me he had two other complaints and that there's supposed to be a splash guard covering the gas tube assembly inside the rear-left wheel well. None on mine. He said he couldn't do anything for me since I didn't buy it there. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

I call my dealer service center and he said he's never heard of that before but would look into it. Right. Never heard back from him. So I go in last week for my first oil change and "remind" him of the problem. He can't recall our first conversation about this but he'll look into it.

While I'm waiting, I go into the showroom and look inside the rear-left wheel well of an SE and sure enough, that car has them. I go back and get the service guy and he says "Hmmph, guess they're supposed to be in there, eh?" We go out and look at my car on the lift. Not only am I missing one on the left, but the mechanic working on the car says I'm supposed to have one on the right as well. Both missing! Somebody at the plant that built my car must have had a bad day. The service manager comes over and says about the same thing the other guy says after looking at the showroom model.

What was happening was that the sand was splashing up through the vent hole underneath the mouth of the filler tube and sloshing around in there. What a bummer. I'm totally bummed at Nissan for this. I hope I don't hold this grudge when it comes time for my next car. I paid a pretty penny for this car and expected to at least have all the parts!

I tell ya, if I have one problem with that engine, it's going to point right back to the probability that sand got past my fuel filter.

Bottom line:

What you want to look for is a black plastic shield that is contoured to the inside of the wheel well and covers the filler tube. If it's not there, you're probably seeing what I've seen unless you live down south. Whatever the case, you should take your car back to the dealer and have them install the splash guards if you find them missing.

Good luck. I hope you don't have the same problem.

DOES ANYONE HAVE A PART # FOR THAT SHIELD?
[Edited by RcticMax on 03-06-2001 at 10:17 PM]
Old 03-12-2001, 12:47 PM

PART #

DOES ANYONE HAVE THAT PART #?
Old 03-12-2001, 05:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Part Numbers + My Experience

Part #: 74844P (1 Piece – Fuel line cover thing)
Part #: 74305F (4 Pieces – Plastic screw/retainer things)

The day this thread started, I checked the status of the fuel line cover on my Maxima… missing. I was wondering why I saw so much sand by the fuel cap when I gassed up the car. I checked a 2000 SE I saw at work and found that it had a cover installed.

I went down to the dealer the next day to check other Maximas on the lot for the cover. None of them had the fuel line cover either. I spoke to a Service Representative and explained that there was excess dirt/sand inside the fuel filler compartment and that it maybe due to the missing cover. I further explained that my friend’s 2000 SE had one and that none of the cars in the car lot did. I asked if he had some documentation stating whether or not my car should have one installed. He told me that if none of the cars in the lot had them installed, mine shouldn’t have one either. (Huh!?!) I explained that I was trying to avoid any speculation on his or my part and that documented evidence would be the best solution. He told me to talk to the Parts Department.

After a couple of trips between two separate dealers and conversations with four different people I finally got the part ordered. At this point, however, nobody knew if the part was ever supposed to be installed from the get-go. Also, at this point, I was willing to spend the $26.00 to buy the part and install it myself. I probably spent that much on gas trying to get an answer.

The part came in and I went to the dealer. I picked up the part from the Parts Department and went to the Service Manager. I gave him the low-down and explained that all I was looking for was a yes/no answer to whether my car should have this part. He said that technically, ‘missing parts’ were not covered under warranty… interesting. He went on to say that perhaps other parts of the country require such a cover due to ‘road salt’. I told him what I thought of speculating.

The Service Manager turned out to be an O.K. guy and decided to install the part for me. They chalked up the installation as ‘replacing a defective part causing excess dirt in gas filler compartment’, or something. I guess they had to phrase it that way to be covered under warranty.

It is hard to believe that the dealers cannot readily answer such questions. You would think that all of the parts in any of the vehicles they sell would have some documentation stating if and where they should be installed. Weird wild stuff.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:36 PM

i have a 01 se that came with the splash guards from the factory and i had the dealer take them off cause i think they look ugly. but they gave me the fill in part and since i installed them i have not had any sand inside my filler door.
Old 03-12-2001, 06:39 PM

Update on Part Numbers

jburrow - My hat's off to you on your effort and I'm sorry you got the runaround. Fortunately, I didn't get the "sorry... not covered" story from my dealer. Once they smelled something funny with the "thingamabob" they simply ordered the part, no questions asked.

I FINALLY received one of those post cards in the mail saying the parts were in. However, the part numbers are different from the ones you came up with. I'm not saying you are wrong, they're just different.

Here's what's printed on the card:

SPECIAL ORDER PARTS ARE IN, CALL OUR SERVICE DEPT.

INV#RD(not sure if "D" "O" OR "O")47654
NI01553-09321 CLIP
NI17290-2Y000 PROTECTOR-FILLE

(Hope this helps Greek to the Max)

Now I just have to drag my sorry butt down to the dealer and get it done.

Maxse01 - Not sure, but I believe you are talking about the splash guards that connect to the outside of the body that serve as... well... splash guards (talk about confusing!). We're talking about a piece of black molded plastic that fits UP INSIDE the wheel well that covers the fuel line leading up to the inside of the fuel mouth compartment that prevents sand from splashig up through the vent hole into the fuel compartment (where your gas cap is).

Proceedbob - Nice attitude. Whatever. I spent a lot of money for the car. All I wanted was all the parts. Is that too much to ask? I think not. Also, if you read my signature, you'll see that I haven't modified my Max AT ALL (in response to your nice "jerking off" comment). So get off it.

TimW and Colonel - Thanks for the backup.
Old 03-12-2001, 07:05 PM
RexInVegas

That answers my ? about where the sand is from...

I bought my 2001 SE 20th Anniversary Edition back in 9/2000. I've never had the problem with sand behind the filler door on other cars and thought it was just some lousy designing letting all of that sand into the compartment. As soon as I read your message, I ran out to the garage with a flashlight to have a look and sure enough! It was missing. I'll be contacting my dealer first thing in the morning.
I was getting tired of wiping all that sound out. I had the same concerns about sand getting on the inside of the filler cap everytime I would go to put it on the filler-door.
I've commented to Nissan 2x on questionnaires they've sent me and it really bothers me that they must have gotten this complaint from many people but have done nothing about it.
Let's hope my trip to the dealership is a pleasant one...
Thanks for the tip!
I just joined this group tonight and looks like I'll be checking in regularly!

Old 03-12-2001, 08:13 PM

Please post pics

Hi, can someone post a pciture of the part that is missing?
Old 03-12-2001, 09:07 PM

Thanks for the part #'s

I'm the first person to report this problem for Nissan Canada, so you can imagine my frustration. They have no idea. Thanks to all that helped.
Old 03-12-2001, 09:11 PM

WhtMax'01 - I would if I had the parts!

Seriously though, when I go down to the dealer I'll bring my camera and take some pix of b4 and after and post them.
Old 03-12-2001, 10:17 PM
Henry

I would like to thank you guys for coming up with a part number. I will be going back a second time to request they install the part. The first time I complained of all the dirt in the gas cap area and the dealer response was no problem found but I have part numbers now.

thank you

Old 03-12-2001, 11:08 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Part Numbers

RcticMax -

Wierd about the part numbers... I read them off of a diagram they printed out for me. I'll try to scan the sheet to post here.
Old 03-13-2001, 11:15 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Ah HA!

I called my Nissan dealership at King Auto Mall in Cincinnati and gave them the
NI17290-2Y000 number and it did cross reference to the correct part of a "Fuel line splash guard". It was 12.43. So I asked if it was for the 2001 model. He stated yes, its for all models. So....Nissan will be putting this on for Free for me whether they like it or not.

Quick Reply: Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!