5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 01:49 PM

Way to go Colonel! Go get 'em.

Gee, Proceedbob, does that mean we're all "misinformed"?
Old 03-13-2001, 01:58 PM

Another reminder to call Nissan

Just a reminder...

To help bring this to Nissan's attention with a loud enough bang, I encourage all Max owners with this problem to contact Nissan at 1-800-Nissan1 and speak with a customer service rep. Ask to have a file opened and openly discuss your displeasure with the fact that you paid a lot of money and you'd hoped to have all the parts (or whatever you want to say to get their attention).

The bottom line is to get Nissan to be proactive in reaching out for Max owners that may not realize they have the problem.
Old 03-13-2001, 10:34 PM

I've noticed sand and dirt every time I've filled up. Never knew why though, until I read this. So what do I do, I go to my car and guess what??? no splash guard. I have an appointment to take my car in for the 1st scheduled maintenance @ 7,500 mi. I'm getting my passenger front tire replaced (defective-bubble), an oil change and I mentioned the splash guard thing over the phone------let's see what they're gonna do about it. I'll keep ya guys posted.
Old 03-14-2001, 07:32 AM

They ordered my Parts!!!!!

Thanks to you guys on this board, I had all the information I needed when dealing with Nissan Canada. By Luck only, the regional manager of Nissan Canada was at the dealership on Tuesday, when I faxed them over the Part #'s. To top it off, they ordered the parts for me, and they will arrive here by the end of this week. The only confusing part was that I read on this board about their being a pair of shields, one for the left, and one for the right side of the car. That didn't make sense to me. Why would you need 2?
Anyway, Nissan confirmed only one side had a shield. Let me all know what you think, especially you Canadian drivers!!!!
Old 03-14-2001, 10:00 AM

Greek to the Max - Yeah, I know what you mean about there being two (2) guards. All I can tell you is that's what the mechanic at the dealer said. He mentioned something about road "stuff" getting into somewhere but I'm not sure exactly what he said. I was too dumbfounded at the time to listen, still amazed that they said "Yep... yer missin' 'em".

When I take it in to get the work done, I'll be sure to ask him about that and let you all know.

It would make more sense if there was only one but who knows. Maybe it's a spare, hehe

L8R.
Old 03-14-2001, 12:44 PM

I looked on the right side!

If you look on the right side, you will see there is no need for a shield there!!! Surprising as it may seem, dealers can make mistakes ; )
Old 03-14-2001, 07:05 PM
RexInVegas

Splash guard on order...

I took the Max to the dealership yesterday and had the service mgr take a look. He wasn't familiar with the missing splash guard issue at and never heard about anyone complaining.
We walked around the lot looking at some others so he could see what i was talking about. The first two on the lot were missing the guard and the third one had it. This even puzzled him as to why some would have them installed and others wouldn't. He agreed that it should be on there to prevent rocks and sand from beating against the fuel line and other hoses.
He ordered the part and it should arrive within a week to be installed.
It will be nice to be able to use that nifty fuel cap holder and not worry about the grit getting into the tank!
I haven't called NISSAN about the problem yet. I want to give some nice feedback about the dealership taking care of it when it's all done.

Old 03-14-2001, 07:16 PM

Originally posted by greggmax
Here in NJ, it is illegal to pump your own gas.
I love that law, now that's consumer oriented and the gas prices are the cheapest in the Northeast too.

Does it have to do with labor unions?
Old 03-14-2001, 07:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by RcticMax
We've had quite a winter up here in the Northeast. Lots of snow and therefore lots of salt and sand. I just turned in my 98 Maxima SE off a lease and decided to buy a 2001 AE.

During my first fill up at the gas station, I noticed an awful lot of sand INSIDE the gas fill compartment and the inside of the door itself. Not wanting to risk getting sand down into the tank, I didn't put the cap in the holder.

At the time, I just shrugged it off thinking that perhaps some slush got around the door so I cleaned it out. Every time I filled up the car, more sand. What the...? I never had this problem with my 98 so I'm thinking there must be a problem with the manufacturing quality, perhaps a gasket that needs to be around the door.

I take my car to a dealer near my office, not the one where I purchased it, and the guy tells me he had two other complaints and that there's supposed to be a splash guard covering the gas tube assembly inside the rear-left wheel well. None on mine. He said he couldn't do anything for me since I didn't buy it there. Whatever. I wasn't in the mood for an argument.

I call my dealer service center and he said he's never heard of that before but would look into it. Right. Never heard back from him. So I go in last week for my first oil change and "remind" him of the problem. He can't recall our first conversation about this but he'll look into it.

While I'm waiting, I go into the showroom and look inside the rear-left wheel well of an SE and sure enough, that car has them. I go back and get the service guy and he says "Hmmph, guess they're supposed to be in there, eh?" We go out and look at my car on the lift. Not only am I missing one on the left, but the mechanic working on the car says I'm supposed to have one on the right as well. Both missing! Somebody at the plant that built my car must have had a bad day. The service manager comes over and says about the same thing the other guy says after looking at the showroom model.

What was happening was that the sand was splashing up through the vent hole underneath the mouth of the filler tube and sloshing around in there. What a bummer. I'm totally bummed at Nissan for this. I hope I don't hold this grudge when it comes time for my next car. I paid a pretty penny for this car and expected to at least have all the parts!

I tell ya, if I have one problem with that engine, it's going to point right back to the probability that sand got past my fuel filter.

Bottom line:

What you want to look for is a black plastic shield that is contoured to the inside of the wheel well and covers the filler tube. If it's not there, you're probably seeing what I've seen unless you live down south. Whatever the case, you should take your car back to the dealer and have them install the splash guards if you find them missing.

Good luck. I hope you don't have the same problem.

[Edited by RcticMax on 03-06-2001 at 10:17 PM]
hmmm..that sucks...well, this is only one of the few times that i feel glad to have an older car..
Old 03-14-2001, 09:25 PM

I'll be damned!

That's the fifth thing on the list for the dealer to fix when I take mine in this week.
Ran out to the garage and sure enough the gas fill hose is just hanging there - with 2 brackets dangling in the breeze.

You can see that something is made to be attached over the hose. This is a safety hazard.

It also explains why the gas cap is constantly coated with crud from the road. I have just been washing that area out with a scrub brush for weeks.

Thanks for all the info on this one. I am amazed that this part is missing!
Old 03-14-2001, 09:33 PM

Mike - At the risk of repeating myself, PLEASE be sure to call Nissan at 1-800-Nissan1 and let them know you had this problem. There are brothers-in-max's around the world (slight exaggeration?) that have no idea they've got this problem and having us tell them (Nissan) again and again that they missed something will only help to get the word out faster.

Sorry to hear you had the problem but glad you were able to uncover it.

Oh yeah, almost forgot...

Proceedbob - Still think we're misinformed? Sheyeah!
Old 03-15-2001, 07:31 AM

Called nissan "north america"

Hi,

I noticed that I was missing this cover piece as well. I called the 1800 mumber that RcticMax posted to report this problem. I live in Canada so immediately I was concerned... however, the recording said "Nissan North America" so I figgered that Canada counts as North America. Well, it turns out after 10 mins of the rep not being able to find my VIN number she tells me that Iam supposed to call Nissan Canada - DUH! So I call Nissan Canada and this woman was immediately aware of the problem when I told her. She claims that Nissan made changes and basically decided not to use that part for whatever reason. So any cars made after that date will not have the part. She told me that she will find out if my car is really supposed to have that part and give me a call back. Sounds real fishy to me because without that part I get loads of sand, salt and grit in there.

Anyone in Canada have the same concerns??

Oh and btw, the number for Nissan CANADA is 1800-387-0122

Good Luck
rerunn.
Old 03-15-2001, 07:51 AM
STFU n00b!

After all the recall issues they're having NOW on 3rd gens, you'd think Nissan would spend an extra $15 to leave this thing in.

But nooo.. instead, they're gonna sit here and let another half million cars rust around the fuel filler cap and hoses, then they'll have to recall it and pay $800-1000 PER CAR to fix when the rocks and road salt start eating away at all the little parts around that area.

It was a lack of undercoater issue on 3rd gens, and we have the plastic covers over our fuel tubes and stuff that's missing on your cars.
Is there suffcient undercoater in the area to prevent rocks and road grime from chipping the paint off the inside of the wheel well and keep it from rusting?
If not, this is definitely something Nissan needs to rethink (you guys already realize that, but bringing up the recent recall on 3rd gens because of a similar problem might prob some lazy a$$es into doing something about it)

this is one of those issues where it's like they're stockpiling mud at the top of a hill.. they are fully aware of what's gonna happen shortly, but they don't give a damn because sales are good.

hope you guys get your problems resolved.
Maybe start a petition or something.. Nissan oughta realize $15 is a lot easier now than $1000 in 5 years when the car rusts through that corner.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:27 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

speeaking of missing parts; my seat!

I have a 2000 SE with the manual driver seat. The height adjustments (for those of you who have power seats) is controlled by two ***** on the left side of the seat, mounted on axles that run the width of the seat. On the right side of the seat, the axles are fixed with a high-tension push-nut (looks like an extruded washer with spokes on the ID)
One of them was missing! So the right side frame of the seat started bending out, and every time I took a corner fast, my seat would shift side to side. I was appalled. Though maybe that was the car's way of telling me I have a fat ***
So I took it to a dealer (that I didnt buy the car from) and they ordered the parts to fix it. I got it back, and it still shifted. So I took the seat off again and looked, and sure enough, no push-nut. It turns out they replaced the slider tracks. Service guys really are bone-heads.
So I took it back to my dealership, with pictures, and they fixed it. I hope.

By the way, I challenge anyone in Chicago to find more than one or two gas stations in the entire area that offer full-serve. And to the guys whining about price, once last summer I paid $2.59 a gallon. For self-serve. So there.
Old 03-15-2001, 03:59 PM

My Part is installed!!!!

They installed my Part Today. It takes 3 minutes to install!! I was in and out. It only took 1 day for them to deliver parts. Maybe they don't come with them because the 17' rims could hit it? All I know is only 1 side needs the shield. End of story. Also a reminder to the guys not reading all the posts, this was the first Canadian issue of this sort, and it was resolved within 2 days.

Thanks!!
Old 03-16-2001, 06:26 AM
jri

Re: Called nissan "north america"

I live in Canada, and my 2001 GLE is missing the part. I showed my local dealer, and they called up the fuel tank drawing on their computer, which did not show the guard. I will call the 800 number today.

Let me know if you get a part number.

Thanks!

Old 03-16-2001, 06:58 AM

Re: Re: Called nissan "north america"

Originally posted by jri
I live in Canada, and my 2001 GLE is missing the part. I showed my local dealer, and they called up the fuel tank drawing on their computer, which did not show the guard. I will call the 800 number today.

Let me know if you get a part number.

Thanks!

The Part#'s are listed all over this Posting!!!!!!
Old 03-17-2001, 09:02 PM

I took my car in for the 7,500 mile service and for the shield. The service rep told me that not only was I missing one, but both. He put them both on order. They should be in Tues. He never mentioned if it was under warranty though. Doesn't matter anyways, there's no way in hell I'm paying for something that should have been there.
Old 03-18-2001, 10:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sandy in the Nation's Capital

Hey I got the same damn thing happening to me here in DC. They put salt & sand all over the road if we have 2 or more snowflakes fall, then the bastards never sweep up the friggin' sand. It'll be desert in a few more years. Anyhow, the amount of sound in the fuel filler door area is wayyyy more than is on the car anywhere else, and I am taking my 2001 AE to the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at. Thanks everybody for the heads up.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:04 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Sandy in the Nation's Capital

Hey I got the same damn thing happening to me here in DC. They put salt & sand all over the road if we have 2 or more snowflakes fall, then the bastards never sweep up the friggin' sand. It'll be desert in a few more years. Anyhow, the amount of sound in the fuel filler door area is wayyyy more than is on the car anywhere else, and I am taking my 2001 AE to the dealer tomorrow to get it looked at. Thanks everybody for the heads up.
Old 03-18-2001, 11:18 AM
Lucius Maximus

Re: They ordered my Parts!!!!!

Originally posted by Greek to the Max
Thanks to you guys on this board, I had all the information I needed when dealing with Nissan Canada. By Luck only, the regional manager of Nissan Canada was at the dealership on Tuesday, when I faxed them over the Part #'s. To top it off, they ordered the parts for me, and they will arrive here by the end of this week. The only confusing part was that I read on this board about their being a pair of shields, one for the left, and one for the right side of the car. That didn't make sense to me. Why would you need 2?
Anyway, Nissan confirmed only one side had a shield. Let me all know what you think, especially you Canadian drivers!!!!
Hey, Greek to the Max..

Good of you to work for the 'good canadian boys'. I've also noticed sand in the fill area, but didn't realy pay much attention to it, cleaned it out, and was on my way. I'm do for my second fill up tomorrow, I'll have a look to see if there is more sand, AND, if there is, then it's off to the dealer I go.

Thanks

Old 03-18-2001, 09:50 PM
petervegas

AE Problem Only?

I have a recently purchased AE with the same problem. Perhaps this is only an issue with AE's?

In any case thanks for the information, a very helpful thread!!!

Old 03-19-2001, 01:53 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Done Deal....

I got my car back...Its done free of charge. To bad I spent so much time and effort getting it done.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:03 PM

done deal

Jorg, the service manager at Round Rock Nissan ordered the parts for mine today and will install them - all free.
We looked on the lot and every 2001 SE is missing them. The 2000 GXE they had has the cover.
He told me the part applied to my car and ordered it.
He will install it when it gets in this week.

This was the most pleasant service experience I have ever had.
He also replaced the solenoids and changed the oil - and won't charge me until I bring it back the next time.

I am happy!
Old 03-19-2001, 08:46 PM

Glad to see you guys are getting this taken care of by the dealers. I'm wondering how long it will take for word to get around Nissan that this is an issue.

Don't forget to call 1-800-NISSAN1 and let them know you had this problem (is there an echo in here?) Sorry, I just want to be sure Nissan doesn't slink away from this one.
Old 03-20-2001, 10:41 AM
99silvermax

THANKS FROM 4th GEN LAND

I was having the same problem on my '99 SE-L. The same part is missing!!!!! My dealer said they have actually replaced full fuel systems because of this (tank, lines, fuel pump, filter, etc...) Thanks for the help.

Old 03-20-2001, 11:03 AM

Replaced fuel line, tank, etc. ?!!!

Can you please provide detail on why those items needed to be replaced? Your information could open up a whole new can of worms here that may prove very interesting.
Old 03-20-2001, 11:49 AM
99silvermax

This is what I know...

The service guy I talked with said that a couple of cars came in with bad fuel line clogging. They took off the tank and drained it. It was full of dirt. The dealership thought it was vandalism. After it was replced on the owner's dollar, it happened again. They traced it back to this shield missing. The guy lived down a dirt road and when it rained, the thing filled up with dirt and every time he put gas in some dirt would go in. The owner was reimbursed and everything was replaced this time:
>Fuel Filter
>ALL fuel lines before the filter
>The fuel pump
>The gas tank
>The gas tank hose

I think that was all he told me. This was on a 2000 model.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-20-2001, 01:13 PM

99silvermax - Thanks for the details. Heavy duty. Can you tell me the name and location of the dealer. When I go in to get my guard installed on Friday, I want to mention this to the service manager and he'll ask me if I have that info. No sense in keeping these guys from talking to each other especially when we're dealing with stuff like this.

Anyone here know if there's any chance dirt, etc. can make it past the filter (i.e. gulp... to the engine!)?

I have no idea what the competency of a fuel filter is when dealing with anything other than gasoline sediment.
Old 03-20-2001, 01:16 PM

my experience / 2001 AE

This is one of the most interesting threads I have read since I began scanning the board. I too seem to be missing this part. I called the dealer and emailed them the info including part #'s. They said I was about the third person that had brought this to their attention however Nissan hadn't confirmed that this was a problem that needed to be fixed. Essentially Nissan hadn't green lighted them to respond yet. So I called the 1-800-NISSAN1 number today and got them to do a file for me. A file only pertains to your individual incident so until an actual TSB comes out they said it might get overlooked. They are researching it through Nissan Technical Support and I also gave them the url for this site to check out this thread. They are going to call me tomorrow. I respectfully suggested that a representative from Nissan may want to formally reply to clarify the company's stance on this matter. Based on each of our individual experiences nobody really knows what is going on! My dealer originally said the part is suppose to be on 2000's but not 2001's. Go figure.

I'm a short termer but so far I lvoe this site!!
Old 03-20-2001, 01:29 PM

Chad - Good deal. That's the reason I joined this group. Lot's of great information and the best part is we all have the exact same thing in common - our Maxima's (I know... Duh! ) - which makes for some very precise information being exchanged.

Not to mention, the folks posting up here can get pretty opinionated so you tend to get all sides of an issue which lends itself to a better informed enthusiast/consumer. Bottom line here is that we can assist each other with "war stories" and learn from others experiences.

I appreciate your efforts in contacting Nissan. If they were smart, they would join the board to see what we're all barking about. Hopefully they'll take what they learn here and apply it to future models and perhaps get in front of issues like the one in this thread.
Old 03-21-2001, 11:55 AM
99silvermax

Don't know what to do ????

I talked with my friend at the Nissan dealershiplast night about this. I told him that someone else wanted to know his name and phone # for support. He didn't like that idea. Apparently Nissan is trying to blow this off. He has personally talked to someone at North America corporate about the repair they had to make. They told him to do the repair, but blame it on a filler hose that came loose and allowed dirt to get in. He said they are putting on the piece for people who request it, but not for everyone who comes in without it. After seeing that thread on the TSB for squeaks and rattles, I can see why they are trying to avoid more problems....that thing is a BOOK. Looks like it is everyone for themselves right now. I am currently looking to get a 2001 se 5-spd. IT WILL HAVE THAT PIECE !!!!

Old 03-21-2001, 04:19 PM

Here is my update. I missed the two calls from NIssan Corp today because I was at the dealer returning my 98 SE Max going off lease. Ahhh, the many months of having 2 Maxima's has unfortunately ended At least Nissan tried to get to me today as promised.

While I was at the dealer the service manager said they had alerted Nissan about this months ago. A little old lady walked into the dealership complaining about the sand in her fuel filler area. They thought she was crazy, then they checked it over and finally realized the part was missing. They did a fix for her to stop the sand, but it wasn't the part replacement we are all seeking. They said they cannot find a part # for a 2001 model Max. They did say that it has been on every Max since 1990 and they cannot believe Nissan left it off! However, without a 2001 part# and screw holes for it they can't make it happen until Nissan tells them something. BTW - I supplied them the part #'s posted here and they didn't fit anything on file, so I'm not sure where those numbers came from, but they don't seem to jive with their parts system.

I'll post when I talk to the Nissan person tomorrow.
If little old ladies can notice this thing then the boys in Japan better start paying closer attention.
Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 PM

Huh?!!!

Chad,

Nice follow up.

What's the deal with Nissan Corp/Nissan service not owning up to this? The part numbers I provided came right off the card I got from Nissan service saying the parts were in. I'm taking my car in on Friday and will post confirmation numbers that night. Hey, at least you got someone from Nissan to call you back. They promised me the same thing but nada.

As for them not being able to do anything until Nissan tells them what to do... well, I find that troubling to say the least. From my experience, once I showed the service manager the part on the car on the showroom floor, he was like "hey, no problem".

Let's keep it up, folks. This just "ain't right".
Old 03-22-2001, 02:55 PM

Well here is my latest. Rolando from Nissan Corp called me today. He spoke to Nissan Tech and they are aware that people have been calling for this part. The official stance is that the part was put on "some" 2001 Maxima's and then discontinued so it will not be found on all of them. No reason was given for the part removal. He then said the repair was dealer discretion as to whether or not to do it and warranty it. They claim however that the part can be put onto the car, while my dealer originally said it couldn't as there were no holes. Maybe the part is retro'd to fit I don't know. I don't fault the dealer as I think they've been left in the dark. Here is where it gets interesting . . . I then said that the part # I supplied the dealer did not work. Rolando said they looked at this thread and read those same part #'s and yes they were not in their system. He finally figured out what it was after talking to Tech Support. I asked for the correct number so I could give it to my dealer and he did not have it. He said the dealer could get it through the parts system. I spoke to the service manager last night when I returned my '98 and he said that part is not listed in the 2001 book.
Geesshhhh. So I am getting nowhere fast with Rolando then I ask him to email me something explaining this as I was at work and ingesting it during a busy day. He said he could not, it was in the computer however and the only way I could get it in writing was through litigation. WHAT!?
I hate to say it, but yes it sounds like they are ducking something. They admit the part was on the car and then sometime during the model year they randomly stop putting it on???

Next step, I know a regional service manager for Nissan Corp. I want to hear his opinion on this issue. Everyone of these posts I've printed and I've written down the info on my end of things just in case something ever happens to the fuel line, engine or whatever. I told my dealer to look at these messages so hopefully they'll warranty it, however Nissan should be ashamed for slipping up like this and then responding with such inane answers.
Old 03-22-2001, 07:03 PM

Again, I have to say "Huh?!!!"

Chad - You are, indeed, the true master of information. I'm going to annoint you point-man on this thread based on your contacts alone. Great info, regardless of the fact that it's frustrating as heck.

Something smells around here and it's not my Doc Martens. I'm wondering if they're pulling a big-time CYA in case this leads to engine problems down the line for some customers. Paranoia? Perhaps. What really bugs me is the inconsistancy with regards to the part numbers. A lot of the folks posting on this thread have shared the same experience. Rod Serling would have a field day with this one.

Anyway, I go in tomorrow to have my parts installed and I plan on having a conversation with the service manager about this whole deal to see if anything shakes out.

Stay tuned.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:07 PM

The missing sheild is not just on SE's for 2001. My GLE also is missing the part!

Thanks to all posting: I'll have at least SOME ammunition when I go to talk to the dealer about this when I'm in for my first oil change (in about 1300 miles).
Old 03-22-2001, 11:22 PM

umpopa - There's a couple of other threads floating around out here (one of which is titled "Fuel Inlet Protector Notes") that contains some good information from a guy by the name of David Burnette, and from what I can see he works at South Point Nissan (don't know where that is). I would encourage you to read that thread and see what he wrote. Do a search on his postings to see what else he's written. As I said, there's more than one thread on this topic and the more information, especially from a guy associated with Nissan like David (I'm assuming), the better you'll be prepared.

Good Luck.
Old 03-22-2001, 11:34 PM

Hey all. I finally figured out what you're all talking about. And I do have the part. But does anyone know if it's supposed to be loose or tight? Mine's a bit loose and not flush (I can push it in about 1"). Thanks.

5thGen
BC, Canada
Old 03-23-2001, 05:52 PM

Installed!!!

I finally got to the dealer to have my fuel filler splash guard installed today. Unfortunately, the service manager was unable to provide any more information about the incident. I was able to get some screen grabs and hopefully will be successful in attaching them here. I got two of the shield prior to installation and one of the wheel well prior to installation.

I may have to do this in multiple posts.

Quick Reply: Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!