5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2001, 05:56 PM

Part II

Here is the second pic.
Old 03-23-2001, 06:00 PM

Part III

Here is the third and final pic. You can clearly see the fuel line exposed.

I hope these have been helpful.
Old 03-23-2001, 09:01 PM

mine is now installed!

The dealer installed mine free of charge today.

It looks like it will take care of all that nasty crap accumulating in the gas cap area.

So, besides the scratch on the first visit and the car door ding on the second visit Round Rock Nissan has done everything perfectly. The service manager is trying hard to keep me happy.

Thanks to everyone on this forum for all of the great information.

Oh, and if a dealer just won't replace it ask him if it is worth a $17 part to lose a customer. The service manager told me it is only $18 total for the plastic cover and screws.
Old 03-27-2001, 09:20 PM

I Looked today and it wasn't there...

I filled up my gas tank today and brushed the dirt away and remembered to look in the wheel well and I could see the fuel filler line as clear as day. I went home and called the dealer and the asst service mgr told me that she thought the part was optional on some 2k1s! I asked her what option package included plastic shields on the insides of the wheel wells!! because I didn't see it when I ordered my car from the dealer..I have an appointment for them to look at this next week and I hope they will fix the problem. After I called the dealer I called 1800nissan1 and asked them if they had heard of the problem and they said "no" so i got the file number and told them I'd stay in touch...we'll see
Old 03-28-2001, 02:38 AM

Alls that i have to say is that Nissan Dealerships suck.I love the cars hate the dealerships and i used to work at one. and its mostly their service depts. because the service addvisors dont know what the hell is going on!
Old 03-28-2001, 05:46 AM
RussMaxManiac

Re: Part III

Originally posted by RcticMax

Oh ****, its actually in the wheel well!? That is dangerous!!

Old 03-28-2001, 06:24 AM

Re: Part III

Great pics!

I just went to the dealer last night rushing from work and getting caught in 1 & 1/2 hours of traffic, then waiting 45 min to get the car taken in all to find out that they ordered the wrong part. So now I have to go back again! But I was prepared this time I had 15 pages I printed out from this thread and one of the pages had part #'s. That came in handy since they had no idea what part to order.

The saga continues................
Old 03-31-2001, 06:19 AM
GuamMax

Thanks

RcticMax,

Thanks. We don't have snow down in Houston but we do have a lot of rain, pot holes, and road dirt! I kept wondering why my gas inlet was dirty. Didn't occur to me there was supposed to be a shroud until I saw your note.

As soon as I realized this I went to the dealer. Their initial response was ignorance. They even tried to imply it was unnecessary. Off course I said, like $26,000 Hell it's unnecessary! Mentioning your thread on the web sure stopped that nonsense real quick. Only after it was fixed did the service guy admit that things like this happen quite a bit with the Maxima (little things here and there missing). I don't under the dealer's initial reluctance, isn't this a freebie service to them paid by Nissan?

One thing I've noticed..... it seems all Nissan service folks have been trained to claim no problem first before even looking at the situation! And I've had all sorts of little irritating problems.

1) Clock and Security light wasn't working. They fixed this but they should have caught this in the initial check on the sale which they never did.
2) Bose Woofer kept rattling at certain bass frequencies. It only occurred under very low drum frequencies. They claimed it was a non problem because in their sample CD nothing happened and that my CD was driving the bass too much. I only had the volume at 25% to get the rattling. Then I negotiated for them check out another new maxima and see if that had the problem. I'd agree not to order anything if the GLE didn't have the same problem. Well the Bose in the dealer lot GLE didn't have the problem. So replaced my Bose woofer. But now it's starting to rattle a little bit again. And my audio aficionado friends seem to think it's installation not the woofer. I'm thinking the original speaker was OK to begin with but Nissan hasn't figured a good way to hold that powerful subwoofer in good.
3) chip on leather
4) chip on exterior. Man I'm worried about the quality of the paint now.
5) This problem
6) And lastly, I noticed that my 5 speed really runs erratic at low sustained RPM (between 1000 - 2000)during traffic conditions. I showed it to the dealer he gave me a squirrelly answer that the computer will get used to my driving eventually. We will see.

Don't get me wrong. I love the car. It's sharp, powerful, luxurious (at least for me) and roomy for my kids. Almost got an Audi A4 instead and I don't regret a thing now. Just concerned about the number of problems I'm having.

Old 03-31-2001, 07:28 PM
petervegas

Re: Thanks

GuamMax,

Which dealership did you got to in Houston? I have had no luck with Mossy on I-10 so far.

Thanks

[QUOTE]Originally posted by GuamMax
[B]RcticMax,

Thanks. We don't have snow down in Houston but we do have a lot of rain, pot holes, and road dirt! I kept wondering why my gas inlet was dirty. Didn't occur to me there was supposed to be a shroud until I saw your note.

Old 03-31-2001, 08:28 PM

Any one know a Nissan Field Rep?

I'm concerned that so many dealers are reluctant to do anything on this. I'm fortunate that my dealer was willing to do the necessary work and cover the cost. What we really need is to have someone here who has, or knows someone who has, a relationship with a Nissan Field Rep and ask that this issue get escalated. Anyone? Buehler?

I never did get a follow up call from Nissan on my "file" that they opened. However, I did get a message from my dealer asking about the recent service. Maybe I'll try to leverage it that way but I have a feeling there is a firewall between the local dealer and Nissan NA.

I did mention this problem to a buddy of mine whose girlfriend's father works on the Nissan line in TN. He said all of our Max's come from Japan but said he would try to see what he could do.
Old 03-31-2001, 10:26 PM
RexInVegas

No problem in Vegas...

After I found I was missing the splash guard, I called my Nissan dealer and took the car in. I explained what was missing to the service manager. We walked around the lot to look under other 2001 Maximas and see what part I was talking about. The first two were missing them and he assumed they just didn't come with the car anymore. I insisted we look at some more. The next one had the shield installed. He wasn't aware of this issue, nor did he understand why some would have them and some would not. He wrote up the ticket as the part having fallen off to assure it was covered under warranty. Within a week my parts (shield and clips) were in and installed.
I haven't called Nissan about this yet, but will do so to make them aware people are noticing and not very pleased about it.
So any other missing parts I should be looking for?
Thanks for the tip and all the great info!
Rex

Old 04-01-2001, 07:30 PM
GuamMax

Re: Re: Thanks

RcTicMax,

I did it at Mossy, service manager Peter Link, last Friday. He knows what this is. Just tell him you had the same problem as Adriano Pangelinan, that you saw my note on the web, and he should be able to get the exact part. They ordered the wrong part initially. Good luck!

[QUOTE]Originally posted by petervegas
[B]GuamMax,

Which dealership did you got to in Houston? I have had no luck with Mossy on I-10 so far.

Thanks

Originally posted by GuamMax
RcticMax,

Old 04-04-2001, 11:34 AM

I went to Tri-state Nissan in Winchester, Va on monday to "let them take a look" and see if the fuel filler splash guard was "optional" or not. As they pulled my car into the shop I walked around the lot to look at the other 2k1s. Not a single maxima with the splash guard! A salesman came out and asked me what I was looking at and I explained everything to him. He was totally ignorant of the problem, I gave him the 411, I doubt he will do anything about it though, just continue playing dumb, they're good at that...
Old 04-04-2001, 06:53 PM

Originally posted by HIFLOP
I went to Tri-state Nissan in Winchester, Va on monday to "let them take a look" and see if the fuel filler splash guard was "optional" or not. As they pulled my car into the shop I walked around the lot to look at the other 2k1s. Not a single maxima with the splash guard! A salesman came out and asked me what I was looking at and I explained everything to him. He was totally ignorant of the problem, I gave him the 411, I doubt he will do anything about it though, just continue playing dumb, they're good at that...
I think it's a requirement for the salespeople to take "Stupid 101" . When I was dealing with my salesman and I started grilling him about the SE/AE, he went over to the info kiosk intently looking for answers for what seemed like 5 minutes. I just stood there and laughed to myself as another salesman came over and quietly pointed out that my salesman was looking at the Altima page, not the Maxima page.

Anyway, did you get the guard installed? Hope all went well.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:50 PM

guard on order

The dealer had to order the part, that's what made me so mad. I knew the part numbers and definitely knew that I needed the part but the dealer had to "see for themselves" , so instead of one phone call and one trip to have the part installed it's one phone call and two trips to the dealer, at about an hour each way that's a lot of my time to be spending on a part that should have been there in the first place! They said that they would call when the parts come in...still waiting here in NoVa
Old 04-05-2001, 06:40 AM

That's why I ordered it myself

This stupidity is exactly why I just called courtesy and ordered the parts myself. I gave them teh part numbers and and he looked it up and said there is one more part as well. I'm not sure yet what the extra part looks like, it should be coming tomorrow. But the total with shipping and all clips was under $25. My time is money too, and I need my car to get to work.

Later

Originally posted by HIFLOP
The dealer had to order the part, that's what made me so mad. I knew the part numbers and definitely knew that I needed the part but the dealer had to "see for themselves" , so instead of one phone call and one trip to have the part installed it's one phone call and two trips to the dealer, at about an hour each way that's a lot of my time to be spending on a part that should have been there in the first place! They said that they would call when the parts come in...still waiting here in NoVa
Old 04-05-2001, 08:43 AM
Sherwood

Got it this Am

I got my Fuel pipe cover this morning. Obviuos that it will help. The dealership got Nissan to get them one for all the 2001 Max's that they have on the lot.

Old 04-09-2001, 09:41 AM

no more crap

I have been driving around for a couple of weeks with the new splash guard in place. I am no longer getting sand and dirt built up around the gas cap. It's nice not having to wash the filler area out each week.
Those of you who are debating on whether it is worth the effort should get this done.
The parts are cheap (if your dealer won't pay for them) and work fine on the 2k1.
This was a worthwhile investment of time.
Old 04-09-2001, 09:51 AM

Re: That's why I ordered it myself

Originally posted by MarkF
I'm not sure yet what the extra part looks like, it should be coming tomorrow.
Later

If it's not too late (i.e. you haven't already gotten the parts) and you're still curious as to what it looks like, I've attached some pix of the part earlier in this thread.

Hope they help.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:16 AM

Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

I saw the earlier posts with the pics. The pics of the part look like the liner in the front wheel wells. The first part I got looks like it attached directly to the hoses. The second part (which still hasn't come, hopefully today) is the wheel well liner, that is in the pics.

Mark F

If it's not too late (i.e. you haven't already gotten the parts) and you're still curious as to what it looks like, I've attached some pix of the part earlier in this thread.

Hope they help.
Old 04-10-2001, 11:52 AM

I actually stopped off at two different dealerships last night. Of the 25 or so Maxes that I looked at, NONE of them had this shield in the fenderwell. Looks like our assumption that they discontinued installing this part on new Maxes may be true. Weird that they would do this before finding another solution to this problem.
Old 04-10-2001, 12:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

I saw the earlier posts with the pics. The pics of the part look like the liner in the front wheel wells. The first part I got looks like it attached directly to the hoses. The second part (which still hasn't come, hopefully today) is the wheel well liner, that is in the pics.

Mark F

Mark - "Second Part"? Hmmm... I only know of one part and the clips that support it. If you get a minute, please post a description of the second part.
Old 04-10-2001, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

The other part came today. I'll post part numbers and if someone wants to host the pics, I'll take some and e-mail them.

Mark F

Mark - "Second Part"? Hmmm... I only know of one part and the clips that support it. If you get a minute, please post a description of the second part.
Old 04-10-2001, 07:16 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

The other part came today. I'll post part numbers and if someone wants to host the pics, I'll take some and e-mail them.

Mark F

Just a heads-up... you can attach the pics right in your post (look below the reply box for the "Attach file" section.

Thanks for following up.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:10 PM

Re: Part Numbers + My Experience

Originally posted by jburrow
Part #: 74844P (1 Piece – Fuel line cover thing)
Part #: 74305F (4 Pieces – Plastic screw/retainer things)

The day this thread started, I checked the status of the fuel line cover on my Maxima… missing. I was wondering why I saw so much sand by the fuel cap when I gassed up the car. I checked a 2000 SE I saw at work and found that it had a cover installed.

I went down to the dealer the next day to check other Maximas on the lot for the cover. None of them had the fuel line cover either. I spoke to a Service Representative and explained that there was excess dirt/sand inside the fuel filler compartment and that it maybe due to the missing cover. I further explained that my friend’s 2000 SE had one and that none of the cars in the car lot did. I asked if he had some documentation stating whether or not my car should have one installed. He told me that if none of the cars in the lot had them installed, mine shouldn’t have one either. (Huh!?!) I explained that I was trying to avoid any speculation on his or my part and that documented evidence would be the best solution. He told me to talk to the Parts Department.

After a couple of trips between two separate dealers and conversations with four different people I finally got the part ordered. At this point, however, nobody knew if the part was ever supposed to be installed from the get-go. Also, at this point, I was willing to spend the $26.00 to buy the part and install it myself. I probably spent that much on gas trying to get an answer.

The part came in and I went to the dealer. I picked up the part from the Parts Department and went to the Service Manager. I gave him the low-down and explained that all I was looking for was a yes/no answer to whether my car should have this part. He said that technically, ‘missing parts’ were not covered under warranty… interesting. He went on to say that perhaps other parts of the country require such a cover due to ‘road salt’. I told him what I thought of speculating.

The Service Manager turned out to be an O.K. guy and decided to install the part for me. They chalked up the installation as ‘replacing a defective part causing excess dirt in gas filler compartment’, or something. I guess they had to phrase it that way to be covered under warranty.

It is hard to believe that the dealers cannot readily answer such questions. You would think that all of the parts in any of the vehicles they sell would have some documentation stating if and where they should be installed. Weird wild stuff.
I telephoned Nissan at the 1.800 number and opened a case on this. They told me they were unaware of this issue. Can everyone confirm that these are the part numbers that are required? I've seen several (I think) referenced. I placed a request to my dealer last week. Have not heard anything yet. Thanks. s rm
Old 04-10-2001, 08:24 PM

Re: Re: Part Numbers + My Experience

Originally posted by srmtn

I telephoned Nissan at the 1.800 number and opened a case on this. They told me they were unaware of this issue. Can everyone confirm that these are the part numbers that are required? I've seen several (I think) referenced. I placed a request to my dealer last week. Have not heard anything yet. Thanks. s rm
Nissan is so full of crap, it isn't even funny anymore. They know darn well about this problem. A couple of folks up here, including myself, have had a "case" opened for them by Nissan concerning this problem. I think the only "cases" they're opening are cases of Bud tilting one back for the sorry suckers they think we are.

Sorry for venting but this "little" problem just doesn't sit well with me (gee, can you tell?)

Anyway, the part numbers I have off the card the parts department sent to me are as follows:

NI01553-09321 - Clip
NI17290-2Y000 - Protector-Fille (yes, that's how it's spelled on the card).

As always, hope this helps.

BTW, love your Merlot Max.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:36 PM

Re: That's why I ordered it myself

Here are th epics I hope

Just a heads-up... you can attach the pics right in your post (look below the reply box for the "Attach file" section.

Thanks for following up.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:37 PM

Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

Here are th epics I hope

Old 04-10-2001, 08:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: That's why I ordered it myself

another
Old 04-10-2001, 08:39 PM

last one
Old 04-10-2001, 08:53 PM

another
Mark - Now you've got my undivided attention. What's the deal with the part numbered 76749-40U00? Let me know where that piece goes. I have the other piece (number corresponds just fine) but this one has got me stumped.

Jeez, did I get screwed again without even knowing it? The least they could do is kiss me first! It's a conspiracy, I tell 'ya. They're all out to get me... AAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
Old 04-11-2001, 12:57 AM
HawaiiA33

Just got my AE back from the dealer and they (luckily) also installed that second smaller splash shield. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I broght the car in. That smaller piece covers some (what looks like) vacuum lines under the left rear bumper. It fills the lowest part of the rear part of the wheel well.

Old 04-11-2001, 06:41 AM

I haven't pulled the wheel yet to figure out where the smaller piece goes. Funny thing is when I first called courtesy Nissan they only saw the listing for the smaller piece. Only after I gave th epart numbers from this thread did he see the bigger piece which had to be ordered. He said they work in conjunction with each other. I really haven't taken a good luck at my wheel well yet to see how it will fit.

Mark F

Originally posted by HawaiiA33
Just got my AE back from the dealer and they (luckily) also installed that second smaller splash shield. I'm pretty sure it wasn't there when I broght the car in. That smaller piece covers some (what looks like) vacuum lines under the left rear bumper. It fills the lowest part of the rear part of the wheel well.
Old 04-14-2001, 11:57 AM

No luck with the dealer....

Good to hear some of you guys had better luck then I at the dealership. I brought this problem up at my dealership. We went through the whole lot and not one of the Maximas on the lot had the part installed. The service manager told me it is up to Nissan to authorize the part to be installed, otherwise, I have to pay for it myself. Be sure I will NOT be buy ANYTHING from this dealership again.
Old 04-14-2001, 04:39 PM

Less than impressed

Hey All,
Took the '01 SE for the 1st oil change at Gillman(Houston)
and while there thought I'd have the TSB for Throttle response and the Filler splash guard addressed.

Having explained to the Service manager prior, the problem with the missing part and suppling the part # I was less than impressed when the Parts manager told me that part was deemed unnecessary on the 2001 Maxima and would therefore be an optional purchased item, @ $21 + tax and $12 install.

needless to say I was beside myself as I was under the impression that this item could be had for under $20
@ Courtesy Nissan. They aren't too concerned about the fact of possible fuel contamination and no concern for a missing $20 part on a $25K car.

To add insult to injury the component they use to reprogram
the ECU was out of Cal and they couldn't address the TSB either, other than the "Free" oil change, it was a wasted day

Dave
Old 04-15-2001, 01:12 PM

price quote from Courtesy

76749-40U00 Proctector 5.43ea
2 172290-2Y000 Proctector 9.94 ea
3 01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip
Thanks
WiC
Courtesy Nissan
1777 North Central Expressway
Richardson Texas 75080

Now you know why a $21 price quote from Gillman left me floored

Dave
Old 04-15-2001, 01:51 PM

I'm lucky. My car has the plastic shield. Bought it Sept 1999, in the Northeast.
Old 04-15-2001, 06:28 PM

Re: price quote from Courtesy

Originally posted by Coldboot-SE
2 172290-2Y000 Proctector 9.94 ea
3 01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip
Thanks
WiC
Courtesy Nissan
Richardson Texas 75080

Now you know why a $21 price quote from Gillman left me floored

Dave
Hey, good job getting the detail on all the part numbers.
Old 04-15-2001, 08:01 PM

Re: price quote from Courtesy

I believe the "2" and the "3" in the prior post
are ITEM numbers off the form and it should look like this;

172290-2Y000 Proctector 9.94 ea
01553-09321 Clip .53 ea
01451-00841 .67 ea screw
01461-00991 .54 ea screw
63848-35f00 2.34 ea clip
768820m000 2.83 ea clip
Thanks
WiC
Courtesy Nissan
Richardson Texas 75080

I'll make my order tomorrow on the phone to insure I get all the appropriate parts, but I'm still befuddled how there
can be such a price variance on "Nissan" parts between dealers.

Dave
Old 04-19-2001, 10:15 AM
jjs

Manufacturing Flaw

A Nissan parts person I have spoken to told me to get as many of us in the Forum to call 1-800-NISSAN1 and complain about the issue in order to get a larger voice than individually talking to dealerships.

Quick Reply: Manufacturing Flaw - Must read for 2001 Maxima Owners!