5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Tranny Slippage Tsb

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 12:31 PM

Tranny Slippage Tsb

Hey guys I have that Tranny slippage thing going on. I'm just wondering how much you guys paid to get that TSB done (the solenoid one not the TCM replacement) I know most of you were still under warranty but for those who weren't please stand up. I want to go into the dealer knowing the proper range because I believe the dealer that I live by likes to mark **** up because they are the only Nissan Dealer for like 40 miles.

Moderator, can you delete my other tranny tsb thread. For some reason it didn't post my message.
Old 01-28-2004, 01:02 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

you could call Dave b and get a quote on the solenoids then maybe look into a local tranny shop doing the install. that would probably be the least expensive route. i had replaced under warranty and of the top of my head i think the soleniods went for 400-500 bucks but i could be way off.
Old 01-28-2004, 07:22 PM

Ok cool I didn't even think of getting them installed at a local tranny shop thanks.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:34 PM
scopium

are they covered if i have extended warranty

Old 01-29-2004, 06:50 AM

My 2K SE went in to the shop for this repair on Tuesday and it suppose to be ready today assuming the parts do indeed arrive today. I was originally quoted $636.00 for the total repair for just the solenoid valve assembly, but I had a coupon from Nissan that gives me 15% off any geniune Nissan part or accessory so that droped it down to like $540 or so. The solenoid valve assembly part is what makes up the majority of that cost. I 'think' I was told something like $358.00 just for that one part not counting the bolts, gaskets, etc needed for the install.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by corruptone
My 2K SE went in to the shop for this repair on Tuesday and it suppose to be ready today assuming the parts do indeed arrive today. I was originally quoted $636.00 for the total repair for just the solenoid valve assembly, but I had a coupon from Nissan that gives me 15% off any geniune Nissan part or accessory so that droped it down to like $540 or so. The solenoid valve assembly part is what makes up the majority of that cost. I 'think' I was told something like $358.00 just for that one part not counting the bolts, gaskets, etc needed for the install.
I am not sure about the 2k and 2k1 owners but my 2003 is having similar issues. Mine is under warranty so a little different. But anyway back to the point. The Solenoids are part of the Valve Body so it is one big assembly. For all you out of warranty guys I would look into an after market Valve body. Forgot who sells them they come in like stage 1, 2, and 3 if I remember correctly. I want to do this but it doesn’t make any sense for me right now as I am still under the crack house warranty.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:41 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i had mine done a few months ago on my 2k. it was FREE! covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty.

do you have more than 60k?
Old 01-29-2004, 09:56 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by scopium
are they covered if i have extended warranty
should be. it will depend on who the warranty is through and what they cover. ive got 40k and im having a TSB on the O2 sensors done under my extended warranty (nissan). tranny tsb should be covered either under extended or powertrain depending on your mileage and warranty company.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:18 AM
FU, FU, FU, You're Cool..

Wait are you guys saying TSB's have to been done under warrenty otherwise you have to pay $$$$ to correct a defective product?
Old 01-29-2004, 11:04 AM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Originally Posted by miksen
Wait are you guys saying TSB's have to been done under warrenty otherwise you have to pay $$$$ to correct a defective product?
tsb are normally covered under 3yr/36k unless they fall under extended warranty or longer parts of normal warranty such as powertrain.
Old 01-29-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by fishhouse
i had mine done a few months ago on my 2k. it was FREE! covered under the 60k mile powertrain warranty.

I have 96k
Old 01-29-2004, 02:49 PM

00MAXI,

Man, I am praying for you that you didnt just buy this car.

I am going through this right now in Buena Park, CA. They popped the pan on my car and it was full of metal. I am guessing that this is a result of the previous owner(s) not taking care of the problem right when it started. I had a 50/50 warranty and its going to cost me more loot than I have right now. I am in the process of fighting with the dealership about it right now.

BTW i have 97686 miles, purchased the car on jan 16th with 97296. Brought the car in 6 days after I bought it with like 97480 miles with the problem, and was given the "operating as designed" routine. They said fluid was fine. Now they tell me I must be racing the thing because the fluid is all burnt. These guys are going to get a car driven through their showroom windows and parked on the sales managers desk here real soon.

Dealers that do business like this should be shut down.
Old 01-29-2004, 03:09 PM

I bought the car with 72k on it. As soon as I got it I flushed the tranny, coolant, did the brake pads, switched to synthetic oil, slapped a K&N filter, and had the coils go out at 82k so I replaced those and the plugs. The list goes on but the slipping happened at around 88k. DAVEB is the man he quoted me $281 for the part (my local dealer wanted $364) so sometime next week I'm gonna get that sucka. After I replace the tires hopefully it will be the last big maintenance purchase for a while. FINGERS CROSSED!
Old 01-29-2004, 03:40 PM

I had solenoids replaced last saturday... paid 420 for parts + labor ;-))))
Old 01-29-2004, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by RollinLow
00MAXI,

Man, I am praying for you that you didnt just buy this car.

I am going through this right now in Buena Park, CA. They popped the pan on my car and it was full of metal. I am guessing that this is a result of the previous owner(s) not taking care of the problem right when it started. I had a 50/50 warranty and its going to cost me more loot than I have right now. I am in the process of fighting with the dealership about it right now.

BTW i have 97686 miles, purchased the car on jan 16th with 97296. Brought the car in 6 days after I bought it with like 97480 miles with the problem, and was given the "operating as designed" routine. They said fluid was fine. Now they tell me I must be racing the thing because the fluid is all burnt. These guys are going to get a car driven through their showroom windows and parked on the sales managers desk here real soon.

Dealers that do business like this should be shut down.
I could be wrong here (wouldn't be the first time), but the tranny slipping issue should not have resulted with metal shavings in your pan. In my case, the tranny slipping was barely noticeable and only when you got above 4K RPM's. It was more of a delay in the shift between 2nd & 3rd. The solenoid valve assembly regulates the pressure which changes the shift points. In my case, the previous owner would have never even have noticed it unless they were drag racing in it. I only knew it because I was aware of the TSB concerning this so I thoroughly tested it out.
Old 01-29-2004, 04:57 PM

In my case, the tranny slipping was barely noticeable and only when you got above 4K RPM's. It was more of a delay in the shift between 2nd & 3rd. .

The delay on mine ****es me off especially when I'm heading down to L.A. on that hill that starts in camarillo and ends in Thousand Oaks or agora hills or whatever. When I floor it the rpms race to 4-5k but the car acts like I never downshifted.
Old 01-29-2004, 05:06 PM

I noticed it when I was pulling out into CA traffic. Have to get on it hard sometimes, and I almost got rearended because it wouldn't shift into second. The guy was going like 60. The trans attempted to shift into second at around 5k and slipped up past 6k. I let off because I realized what was happening, and it eventually shifted.
As far as the metal debris, with every transmission I have ever seen with a slipping problem has had grey fluid. Metal particles in the fluid from slipping bands.
I had this issue before as well. 95 firebird formula, 38K on it. When locked into gear lower than D it would act like it was in nuetral under deceleration. It would then have to rev up to the rpm the trans was spinning at to reengage. The fluid was totally grey.
Slightly different problem, still a slip issue, same result. Metal particles and New transmission.
Old 01-29-2004, 07:06 PM

Good point RollinLow. As long as the owner either didn't driver aggressivly enough to encounter this problem or once the issue was discovered it was rectified then the new owner should be fine. My $.02 cents anyway.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by fishhouse

I have 39,000 with the same problem. But if you have an intake and exhaust done will the warranty still cover it?
Old 01-30-2004, 03:54 AM

Originally Posted by JayMax2000
I have 39,000 with the same problem. But if you have an intake and exhaust done will the warranty still cover it?
Yes, most definately, they would be incredibly hard pressed to prove that a intake and exhaust caused a known tranny problem. Unless you somehow figured out how to get more than 25 hp (crank) out of that combo.
Old 01-31-2004, 08:06 AM

I just picked up my car after having the solenoid valve assembly replaced yesterday and it did NOT fix my problem. The next step is to replace the TCM which is a very expensive part. My dealer is calling Nissan to see if they will step up to the plate on this one since they agree with me in that this issue on 2K Maximas should have been a recall, especially since it only applied to very early VIN's which means they changed parts later.
Old 01-31-2004, 09:02 AM

I could be wrong here (wouldn't be the first time), but the tranny slipping issue should not have resulted with metal shavings in your pan. In my case, the tranny slipping was barely noticeable and only when you got above 4K RPM's. It was more of a delay in the shift between 2nd & 3rd. The solenoid valve assembly regulates the pressure which changes the shift points. In my case, the previous owner would have never even have noticed it unless they were drag racing in it. I only knew it because I was aware of the TSB concerning this so I thoroughly tested it out.
The slipping issue puts excess wear on the brake band in the transmission, this does cause this part to actually wear,putting metal in into the tranny fliud
Old 01-31-2004, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by 00MAXI
The delay on mine ****es me off especially when I'm heading down to L.A. on that hill that starts in camarillo and ends in Thousand Oaks or agora hills or whatever. When I floor it the rpms race to 4-5k but the car acts like I never downshifted.
You are going to cause yourself to rebuild your transmission if you keep that up... This is not just a pressure or fluid issue itself, if it goes unchecked long enough and you let it keep slipping (especially by flooring it), you're trashing the brake band, as noted before!
Old 01-31-2004, 08:39 PM

I just picked up my car after having the solenoid valve assembly replaced yesterday and it did NOT fix my problem. The next step is to replace the TCM which is a very expensive part. My dealer is calling Nissan to see if they will step up to the plate on this one since they agree with me in that this issue on 2K Maximas should have been a recall, especially since it only applied to very early VIN's which means they changed parts later.

It should be a damn recall! The coils should be too! I'm ****ed off!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:26 PM

It should be a damn recall! The coils should be too! I'm ****ed off!
Amen to that! Luckly the previous owner of my current Maxima had the coils replaced under warranty, but never actually experienced the tranny slipping issue (his wife drove it and was very conservative in her driving apparently). My dealer told me that Nissan, on occassion, will indeed cover the entire repair, but that depends on the customer and their history with Nissan and the local dealer. I was told they look at Nissan customer loyalty as well as dealership loyalty. I don't have much of a service history so far with my current dealer's service area since I just moved to Nashville some 2 1/2 years ago, but I did just buy a '04 Quest from them back in August. Maybe that will help and maybe not. I'm suppose to know something Monday though. I can tell you that when I bought my used 95 Max from a Nissan dealer, the starter along with the wiring harness had to be replaced. I bought the car with 59K miles on it and the warranty ran out at 60K. I had it towed in a 61K with this problem. I paid for the repair, then called Nissan USA after my dealer recommended it. Nissan North America actually sent me a check covering the entire repair.
Old 01-31-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by JayMax2000

my car wouldnt reverse or go into 3rd or 4th, i took it to my nissan dealer with intake exhaust and cattman headers and the customer service rep left me a message saying they would replace my whole tranny under warranty since im under 60kmiles, didnt mention a thing on mods, but get this he told me to fill out an evaluation for him which is supposed to go to nissan and asked if i can give him "excellents". I figure since he took care of me ill take care of him
Old 02-02-2004, 06:14 PM

The next step is to replace the TCM which is a very expensive part. My dealer is calling Nissan to see if they will step up to the plate on this one since they agree with me in that this issue on 2K Maximas should have been a recall, especially since it only applied to very early VIN's which means they changed parts later.

Keep me posted on that.
Old 02-02-2004, 08:49 PM

Keep me posted on that.
My dealer replaced my TCM today and the problem no longer exists as far as I can tell. However, Nissan North America did not supply the part at all. The service manager at my dealer felt like I did not have a strong enough service history yet with them for Nissan to do anything so he took it upon himself to call a friend of his at a junkyard. His friend gave him a TCM from a 2000 Maxima with a VIN greater than the range listed in the TSB for this issue. They installed it, tested it and called me up and told me to pick it up and that there would be no charge to me. I can't say good or bad things about Nissan North America since they did not have a chance to do right/wrong on this issue, but I give a solid 'Thumbs UP' to my dealer. That's what I call going beyond the call of duty.