5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Removed my Injen...Returned to Stock...seems more powerful

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2004, 08:53 PM

Removed my Injen...Returned to Stock...seems more powerful

I had to remove my Injen intake because of this: http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=282093

and while driving to dealership the car was obviously more quiet, but the gas pedal seemed to have a little more pep to it than I had gotten used to in the past 16 months with the injen intake. Seemed like it didn't take as long for the car to respond. Any explanation, or am I just crazy?
Old 02-02-2004, 09:07 PM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

your crazy

j/k I had gone thru 4 different intakes and when I put it back to stock I noticed the Max to be alot quicker with the stock intake back on.
Old 02-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

my franken has been off for 2+ weeks and i noticed the same ....more power down low yet not as peaky as before....i'm torn....i'm enjoying my quiet Max now but occasionally miss the growl/WOT..
Old 02-02-2004, 09:21 PM
Oh hi....

shenanigans!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-02-2004, 09:25 PM
vsamoylov

mind games

Old 02-02-2004, 09:28 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

All I can say, is that I'll let my dyno #'s speak for themselves, VS others who have dynoed without intakes. I have also done swaps at the track, and tested different ones.....just my .02....
Old 02-02-2004, 11:14 PM
Banned

i had that problem, but then i reset the computer, and no lag or hesitation, i feel as if i got more power from the cold air after reseting the computer. You should give it a try
Old 02-03-2004, 02:11 AM
The Definitive AE Master

Originally Posted by kloogy
All I can say, is that I'll let my dyno #'s speak for themselves, VS others who have dynoed without intakes. I have also done swaps at the track, and tested different ones.....just my .02....
haha.... kloogy knows just how small that injen filter is
Old 02-03-2004, 07:29 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by kloogy
I dynoed with the GAB and got some pretty good numbers . There is no doubt in my mind that with the stock airbox and resonator on the car has better low end response.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:37 AM
It's chrome alright...

the next person to say "I changed my ______ and it FELT quicker/better throttle response/'smoother'/lighter/smarter" (pick one) gets a

YOU CAN NOT "FEEL" 3 OR 4 HP.
And even if you could, it would take the ECU a while to adjust.

Also, what does "smoother" even mean?
...same for throttle response?

So, if you've been to the dyno or track and manually reset your ECU then you have a valid argument. If you swapped your intake in your driveway and took a rip around the neighborhood you're only noticing the SOUND difference because nothing else changed.
Old 02-03-2004, 07:49 AM
Blu
the tits

Originally Posted by 2k2wannabe
the next person to say "I changed my ______ and it FELT quicker/better throttle response/'smoother'/lighter/smarter" (pick one) gets a

YOU CAN NOT "FEEL" 3 OR 4 HP.
And even if you could, it would take the ECU a while to adjust.

Also, what does "smoother" even mean?
...same for throttle response?

So, if you've been to the dyno or track and manually reset your ECU then you have a valid argument. If you swapped your intake in your driveway and took a rip around the neighborhood you're only noticing the SOUND difference because nothing else changed.
I have probably swapped out different intakes more than anyone on this board. I'm not making claims to the car being faster but there is no doubt in my mind the low end is 50% better (off the line) than with any form of intake. I have owned the injen, frankencar, injen midpipe only, homemade intake with pop charger, and homemade intake with stock airbox. There is no doubt that the stock setup with resonator has better low end response again I mean off the line. I drive in city traffic every day and the stock setup with hacked airbox feels a lot better stop and go driving. When I had the intakes on they were more boggy off the line. I have no reason to make this up and Im not making butt dyno claims to be faster, but stop and go driving the GAB feels much more I guess I can call it tourqey in my 02 auto. By the way my best of 13.72@99.97 was ran using the GAB w/ stock resonator on street tires. Also my best dyno of 224whp and 236tq with the same setup. Thats my proof

Edit* I have also tried resetting my ECU using TS info at the track and noticed no difference in times. But I did run without the filter in the stock airbox and ran noticably faster right away. I don't believe the ECU has to adjust to anything IMO of I wouldn't have gotten faster by adding or removing something in the staging lanes.
Old 02-03-2004, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by blubyu2k2
I have probably swapped out different intakes more than anyone on this board. I'm not making claims to the car being faster but there is no doubt in my mind the low end is 50% better (off the line) than with any form of intake. I have owned the injen, frankencar, injen midpipe only, homemade intake with pop charger, and homemade intake with stock airbox. There is no doubt that the stock setup with resonator has better low end response again I mean off the line. I drive in city traffic every day and the stock setup with hacked airbox feels a lot better stop and go driving. When I had the intakes on they were more boggy off the line. I have no reason to make this up and Im not making butt dyno claims to be faster, but stop and go driving the GAB feels much more I guess I can call it tourqey in my 02 auto. By the way my best of 13.72@99.97 was ran using the GAB w/ stock resonator on street tires. Also my best dyno of 224whp and 236tq with the same setup. Thats my proof

Edit* I have also tried resetting my ECU using TS info at the track and noticed no difference in times. But I did run without the filter in the stock airbox and ran noticably faster right away. I don't believe the ECU has to adjust to anything IMO of I wouldn't have gotten faster by adding or removing something in the staging lanes.
Someone should make a 2-stage intake, one smaller tube going down under the battery like an Injen, one in the fender (w/ a wider tube) like the PR CAI, and have a butterfly valve w/ motor to switch... then link it with the VIAS control solenoid for switching
Old 02-03-2004, 09:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by spirilis
Someone should make a 2-stage intake, one smaller tube going down under the battery like an Injen, one in the fender (w/ a wider tube) like the PR CAI, and have a butterfly valve w/ motor to switch... then link it with the VIAS control solenoid for switching

GOOD IDEA!!! I would love to see that made!
Old 02-03-2004, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by MaximaVQ97
GOOD IDEA!!! I would love to see that made!
Even better!!!!!

Replace the VIAS control arm (power valve/etc) with a stepper motor, and have the variable intake open up variably... maybe have this 2-stage intake controlled by a stepper motor too, and have a small computer open/close the VIAS and intake pipes variably by RPM

Just imagine how much work that would be...
Old 02-03-2004, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by spirilis
Even better!!!!!

Replace the VIAS control arm (power valve/etc) with a stepper motor, and have the variable intake open up variably... maybe have this 2-stage intake controlled by a stepper motor too, and have a small computer open/close the VIAS and intake pipes variably by RPM

Just imagine how much work that would be...
the problem with that is that you will already have a great amount of air flowing through, and as you variably open the intake you will create small pockets of non-laminar flow (turbulent, if you will) behind the plate itself. In which you will be losing effeciency and creating a small window of lower volume air flow. The real solution would be to redesign our intake and intake runners to accomadate such a system to prevent this non-laminar flow. In which case we would maximize effeciency and volume with as little head loss as possible. I will ask my boss to let me start doing some intake research at the wind tunnel I work at, I am sure he won't mind.....
Old 02-03-2004, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bulldawg
the problem with that is that you will already have a great amount of air flowing through, and as you variably open the intake you will create small pockets of non-laminar flow (turbulent, if you will) behind the plate itself. In which you will be losing effeciency and creating a small window of lower volume air flow. The real solution would be to redesign our intake and intake runners to accomadate such a system to prevent this non-laminar flow. In which case we would maximize effeciency and volume with as little head loss as possible. I will ask my boss to let me start doing some intake research at the wind tunnel I work at, I am sure he won't mind.....
I see!
Dumb idea then eh
The on/off intake idea still sounds cool though