5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

parts for door and trunk Dynamatting?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2001, 07:11 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i know many of you have used Dynamat in your doors and trunk, so i need your help especially.

i want to Dynamat the trunk to seal the sound a little. i saw through the forums someone who did this to the trunk door and a pretty darn fine job too! where did you get the felt and Dynamat... and perhaps where did you get it done? everything else in the car seems solid except when closing the trunk.

help? i need some good deals. obviously Crutchfield is too expensive to buy this stuff.

thanks yo.
Old 03-09-2001, 10:22 PM

Originally posted by areX

i know many of you have used Dynamat in your doors and trunk, so i need your help especially.

i want to Dynamat the trunk to seal the sound a little. i saw through the forums someone who did this to the trunk door and a pretty darn fine job too! where did you get the felt and Dynamat... and perhaps where did you get it done? everything else in the car seems solid except when closing the trunk.

help? i need some good deals. obviously Crutchfield is too expensive to buy this stuff.

thanks yo.
Haven't dynomated my max but I did an entire nissan xcab truck. if you decide to take this on, be prepared for a long day. you have take all carpet out, door panels, seats, etc. you said you doors and trunk, which is a good start. get some acetone, a small harwood roller (kinda like a rolling pin) and a hair dryer. that is all the supplies needed. if you have the money get you local car stereo shop to do it, but be prepared for a huge labor bill. you can do it yourself on a sat or sun and save your cash for something else.

First clean the area completely w/ the acetone to remove any residue that will inhibit bonding. second take the dryer and heat the dynamat that you have already preshaped and cut to the desired area. heat till the entire piece is warm to the touch and pretty shapeable. now heat the panel that it is to be mounted too. mount the piece to the panel, and roll it out with the roller. get out all the air bubbles or you have just wasted your time and money on the dynomat. reinstall the carpet/panels and you are done!

No as for alternatives you can get sprays from companies like rockford fosgate, lightning audio, and dynamat. you can get a cheap alternative to dynamat too. all dynamat is is a thin sheet of asphalt. I used to post all time at http://www.sounddomain.com

Go there and search in their forums. Search for High Temp Mastic or dynamat and see what you come up with. There is a company you can get the same stuff just without the dynamat screenprint on it for about half the price.

Nevermind found it for you
http://www.mcmaster.com/

HI-TEMP MASTIC, its all the way at the bottom, it costs around $13 for a 32" X 54" sheet.

more detailed instructions...
go to the search box on mcmaster.com
type in acoustic
go to acoustic dampers
(you will need adobe acrobat viewer)
there you go at the bottom.

Hope this helps and do it yourself! You'll appreciate it more that way

[Edited by otter'sMAX on 03-10-2001 at 12:30 AM]
Old 03-10-2001, 01:43 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

dude...

dude, thanks so much. that was more than i totally expected. you're awesome. i'll look into it.

how much did it cost you to do the Xcab? (of course, there's a lot less to use, but i just wanted an estimate)

and also, where do i get the felt stuff for the trunk and how would i apply it professionally?

sorry, very newbie in this dept. thanks for your patience, tho.

Old 03-10-2001, 09:07 AM

Well i got crutchfields dynamat kit (before I knew about mcmaster ) and it cost me about $170.00 shipped. I think their prices have gone up since then too. Since you can get it cheap from mcmaster get at least one sheet per door. (I know that seems like alot but you can use the extra somewhere else) You want to cover the entire doo with one sheet. Cut it out to about the same size, if not a little bigger, than the plasic vapor barrier behind the door panel. By doing it this way, you will not need to put the vapor barrier back on and it is the most effective way of doing it. Your door will be heavier! Remember to heat the sheet!!! (if you don't you will rip it trying to get it to cover any complex contours...that stuff doesn't strech that much) For the trunk I am guessing 2 sheets will do it. If needed, you can take the extra pieces from the doors and finish up any uncovered areas. Just take your time installing it. Don't think you can do it in an hour, b/c if you try you most likely will not be satisfied with the looks. Plan, measure twice-cut once, test fit, then install.

As for the felt, I am not sure about what you mean. If you are talking about something to cover it, you don't need it. You can get some carpet or something like that to cover any matting that exposed on the trunk lid, but as for anything else no one will see it unless you point it out.

Another thing you can do that's kinda cheap...
Go and get some undercoating from like walmart, autozone, pep boys, etc. It's in a spray can that you can use. Once the mat is in place and set, spray this stuff on like paint. It's a rubber compound that will help dampen even more. If you ever get into looking at stereo installs you will hear some of the top installs using this stuff on their sub boxes. They then put dynamat on top of that, then another coat. This helps with vibrations as well.

Hope this helps.

John
Old 03-10-2001, 10:59 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i dynamatted my enitire car..just visit my webpage..