5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima not fit for Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2004, 05:30 AM

Maxima not fit for Germany?

So my Maxima just got out here to Germany. Here are the problems I am encountering, and I thought I might get some good answers here. I am a total newbie and I have a Maxima 2001 SE 5spd.

First:
My windshield wipers are absolutely aweful at speeds over 100mph. I think the wind coming off the windshield pushes the blade off the windshield, thus it does a very poor job at wiping. I think I just need to increase the pressure against the windshield, but am not sure how to go about doing this.

Second:
Cruise control doesn't work at speeds over 94 mph. This sucks. I'd have to be in the far right lane at all times at this speed.

Lastly:
The car (wind noise) is excessively loud at speeds over 110 or 120mph. I can't even talk to people in the back seat without having to raise my voice. It sounds like there is wind whistling in the rear doors.

What are your suggestions? I think I could get out the duct tape and fix some of these things, but I was wondering if there were any nice clean solutions.....
Old 02-12-2004, 05:34 AM

A Bimmer or Benz sounds nice right about now
just kidding... hopefully someone can help... did you check the hardware of your wipers? Check all seals? Can't help you with the cruise control, I and countless others have experience with that.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:43 AM

Originally Posted by six-o
So my Maxima just got out here to Germany. Here are the problems I am encountering, and I thought I might get some good answers here. I am a total newbie and I have a Maxima 2001 SE 5spd.

First:
My windshield wipers are absolutely aweful at speeds over 100mph. I think the wind coming off the windshield pushes the blade off the windshield, thus it does a very poor job at wiping. I think I just need to increase the pressure against the windshield, but am not sure how to go about doing this.

Second:
Cruise control doesn't work at speeds over 94 mph. This sucks. I'd have to be in the far right lane at all times at this speed.

Lastly:
The car (wind noise) is excessively loud at speeds over 110 or 120mph. I can't even talk to people in the back seat without having to raise my voice. It sounds like there is wind whistling in the rear doors.

What are your suggestions? I think I could get out the duct tape and fix some of these things, but I was wondering if there were any nice clean solutions.....
For your wiper problem: I've seen little "spoilers" that attach directly to the wiper blade arm creating this downward force when your going fast. They are about 2 inches wide, and about 6 inches long, along the center line of the wiper blade. This would probably take care of the problem, although you might have to modify your max'z blade with the part of a honda accord's wiper blade, as this is where I saw it (it's on my girl's car right now). If you get that spoiler type thing and add it to your drivers side wiper that would work. Better yet, if the accord's wiper fits on the max...that would be the best bet.

Cruise control ...nothing that I know of will increase the max cruise speed.

Wind noise...theres a TSB out for that which I believe replaces some rear door moulding with slightly larger molding. See the stickys for the TSB number, print it out, bring it to a dealer.
Old 02-12-2004, 05:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Cruise control is probably unfixable... I've noticed that on mine too. Just gonna have to forget about it
Never tried my wipers at >100MPH... around here I doubt the wipers would be something I'm worried about if I'm going over 100 (probably the cops would be my first worry )
Old 02-12-2004, 05:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Yeah, there's a TSB out for the rear windows. I had it done on my car not too long ago and they took all of 10minutes maximum.
The cruise control as said before is set. It's actually 90mph, your speedo may be off. That's the maximum it can be used for, just like u can't use it under 25mph. Besides, why in the world would you use cruise control at those speeds?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:11 AM

yeah try to get the TSB done at your local German Nissan dealer
Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 AM

Originally Posted by sorcereur
Besides, why in the world would you use cruise control at those speeds?
Well, in some parts of the world, specifically Germany, one is not limited to 65 mph. I drive Autobahn 5 every day. It's 4 lanes. Far right lane is ~65mph, next to right is ~85MPH, middle left lane is ~105MPH and far left lane is ~120+MPH.

It would be nice to be able to cruise in the middle left lane at 105mph, rather than have to mess with all the trucks in the right two lanes.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
yeah try to get the TSB done at your local German Nissan dealer
Rats. Are those TSB numbers world wide? Do you think there is a German translation of these? Furthermore, Nissan claims (before I left) that my warranty (extended) is not applicable outside of North America.

Is Nissan required to do the TSB's for free? How does this work?

Thanks for all the help so far!

6-0
Old 02-12-2004, 06:23 AM
Cletus

Rats. Are those TSB numbers world wide? Do you think there is a German translation of these? Furthermore, Nissan claims (before I left) that my warranty (extended) is not applicable outside of North America.

Is Nissan required to do the TSB's for free? How does this work?

Thanks for all the help so far!

6-0
i doubt they will do warranty work there. will they even work on it there? the maximas are diffirent there (at least exterior)
TSBs are not free. it just tells the service guys how to fix the problem.
im assuming you are in the military
Old 02-12-2004, 06:30 AM

man that is tight...you have a car that NO ONE has over there - i can't believe this didn't go off topic earlier to discuss about it

you better have a US flag on your rear windshield

cars there are LHD too, right?
Old 02-12-2004, 06:31 AM

Originally Posted by soonerfan
i doubt they will do warranty work there. will they even work on it there? the maximas are diffirent there (at least exterior)
TSBs are not free. it just tells the service guys how to fix the problem.
im assuming you are in the military
I haven't braved myself down to the Nissan Dealership yet. To be honest, I've yet to see a non-USA Nissan Maxima out here, I think I've only seen about 10 total. As a matter of fact, I'm hard pressed to even see a Nissan.

Do they charge regular (parts and labor) for the TSB's? Specifically this one:

NTB01-029
http://maxima.theowensfamily.com/tsb/NTB01-029.pdf

Any ideas what they would regularly charge in the states for this?

I'm not in the military, nor do I work directly for the military.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:38 AM

man that is tight...you have a car that NO ONE has over there - i can't believe this didn't go off topic earlier to discuss about it

I don't think I'll be putting any US flags on my rear windshield. I'd much prefer it to remain intact. Unfortunately, there are particular ethnic groups here that just don't like us (Americans). And yes, it's nice to have a unique car, but it's also annoying to get smoked by every Audi, BMW, and Benz stationwagon around. My top speed is only 135, stock. I'm guessing they top out at 150 or so, but they don't have any problems passing me at 135.

Sorry, I said I'm a newbie, I don't know what LHD stands for.

6-0
Old 02-12-2004, 06:45 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

They are electronically limited to 155
Old 02-12-2004, 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
They are electronically limited to 155
I don't think all cars here are limited to 155. I had to drive this rental for the past 2 months. It was a Ford KA. It was drag limited at about 100mph. One night I was cruising down the Autobahn (pedal to the metal) at 100mph and out of nowhere this car whipped by (2 lanes away, it was safe imho). Now I'm used to people rolling by at 120 or 150, whatever, they are going fast, but this car went by, and I'm estimating it was going 180mph. The thing is, there really aren't that many cars that can GO 180mph. I didn't get too good of a look at it (it was dark here), but I'm guessing it was some little Benz xLK two seater.

6-0
Old 02-12-2004, 07:13 AM

I'd say, 180 mph is just a guess, and AMG does wonders

I hope you don't have the OEM crapenzas still if you want to drive over 100 mph in the rain...
Old 02-12-2004, 07:21 AM

nah..just an abbreviation -- left hand drive

yeah you made a valid point about the groups that hate Americans, see any japanese cars yet? not just any..but like skylines, fairladys, gtos, stuff like that

also, when do you plan on coming back? if it's for a few months, i say don't duct tape anything but if it's for a long period--get that wind noise fixed
Old 02-12-2004, 07:29 AM

I have a question, why you going over 100mph when it's raining?
Old 02-12-2004, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by wojowojo16
it's probably the speed traffic travels at during the rain...imagine dry weather!
Old 02-12-2004, 08:50 AM

I still would go anything beyond 85mph in rain.

Right now, I'm soooo jealous of six-o; I hate having to go beyond 75mph on a wide open I287 (NJ) and have to be concerned about New Jersey's Revenue Collection Gestapo ....er...NJ State Police stopping me.
Old 02-12-2004, 09:07 AM

Hows that stability cruisin over 100? Feel pretty confident? I'll never have the opportunity, so I'd love to know how the Max does as a high speed cruiser
Old 02-12-2004, 09:38 AM

I heard people doing over 80mph in snow over in ger. I don't think 75 in rain would be a problem. Piaa make thoose spolier blade. http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/...null&x=77&y=12 I think the 3 series comes with those wiper.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:02 AM
Banned

just for some info for ya, from experience my 00 feels very nice all the way up to about 125, then from there to 145 it gets pretty sloppy especially in the turns. what do you expect, the car is barely on the road.
Old 02-12-2004, 11:22 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

All stock German built BMW/Audi/M-B's are limited to 155 from the factory as per their standard policy. The McLaren built M-B has no speed limiter since it's not actually built by M-B. All the aftermarket performance companies for these brands do have ways around the electronically controlled 155 MPH limit.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well, in some parts of the world, specifically Germany, one is not limited to 65 mph. I drive Autobahn 5 every day. It's 4 lanes. Far right lane is ~65mph, next to right is ~85MPH, middle left lane is ~105MPH and far left lane is ~120+MPH.

It would be nice to be able to cruise in the middle left lane at 105mph, rather than have to mess with all the trucks in the right two lanes.
It would be great to see some videos of a Max or other cars doing 120+ on the Autobahn
Old 02-13-2004, 03:04 AM

put a heavy coat of rain-x on the windshield and don't worry about using wipers at all !
Old 02-13-2004, 07:27 AM

I don't think I'll be putting any US flags on my rear windshield. I'd much prefer it to remain intact. Unfortunately, there are particular ethnic groups here that just don't like us (Americans). And yes, it's nice to have a unique car, but it's also annoying to get smoked by every Audi, BMW, and Benz stationwagon around. My top speed is only 135, stock. I'm guessing they top out at 150 or so, but they don't have any problems passing me at 135.

6-0

ha, i know what you mean, i was in germany this past summer and those damn BMW's are always driving 140+. Even though there isnt any speed limit, i hear the driving laws are really tough. Like you cant pass anyone going to the right... and so on....
Old 02-13-2004, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by ssheltz
put a heavy coat of rain-x on the windshield and don't worry about using wipers at all !
yeah that would be perfect for him, especially at night, i put that on my parents car one day and it rained that same night, forgot to tell them about it and once they started driving on the highway they thought it stopped raining, no need for wipers. Day or night rainx is great, but if you're driving at night on a road that has dark spots then you run under a street light, the water reflects the light so you might need the wipers on under some lighting at night, but in dark areas its the best. But definitely get some whether it rains or not, the windsheild seems to clean easier too.
Old 02-13-2004, 05:54 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally Posted by gsumax
i hear the driving laws are really tough. Like you cant pass anyone going to the right... and so on....
It's supposed to be like that here in the States but the law is not enforced. People who insist on driving in the passing lane while holding up traffic should be given heavy fines and have their license revoked on repeat offenses.

Also, the autos are limited at 130 wheras the 5 speed cars can do 140+ and the 2k2+ 6 speed cars are capable of 150.
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 PM

may I ask a question, if you're not in the military, why did you take the Max with you? I bet you could have sold the Max in the US for like 13-15 grand and could have gotten and nice used BMW...
Old 02-13-2004, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN
It's supposed to be like that here in the States but the law is not enforced. People who insist on driving in the passing lane while holding up traffic should be given heavy fines and have their license revoked on repeat offenses.

Also, the autos are limited at 130 wheras the 5 speed cars can do 140+ and the 2k2+ 6 speed cars are capable of 150.
I agree 100%. It's especially bad around here in the south. I don't know what these people are thinking or doing, but it drives me absolutly insane. It muckes up the whole traffic flow and is agrivating.
sorry, just had to vent
Old 02-13-2004, 07:08 PM

I've hit past 205kph as indicated by the speedo and there was more to go, just not enough straight road. Auto 97 GXE

LEMAR
Old 02-13-2004, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by SR20DEN

i agree as well, so many slow cars in the left lane, even if they dont get fined, they should have common courtesy to get out of the way. The difference in germany is that they are serious and actually enforce to the law to provide i guess a more safe highway.
Old 02-14-2004, 04:35 AM
VQ Wizard

And afterall Eisenhower got the idea for the Interstate system after seeing the autobahn in Germany after the war when he was a General. He knew the Germans had a great idea and just like Hitler, Eishenhower had it installed for similar reasons.
Old 02-14-2004, 09:33 AM
3.0HO

Ya put USA flags on your back windshield outside of north america and your car will get jacked up hard.

Old 02-14-2004, 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
All stock German built BMW/Audi/M-B's are limited to 155 from the factory as per their standard policy. The McLaren built M-B has no speed limiter since it's not actually built by M-B. All the aftermarket performance companies for these brands do have ways around the electronically controlled 155 MPH limit.

I thought the McLaren was built by BMW because it shares its engine with the BMW 850csi?
Old 02-14-2004, 12:26 PM

I might be wrong, but there are not that many autobahns in germany, and most are inter-country, like from Germany to Poland where there are no exits whatsoever. My friend used to buy cars in germany and drive them back to east europe for selling. Autobahns are hella long, no exits, you gotta have fuel tank and some extra and food. Also he was telling me about racketeers. If your driving a nice car, 4 audis would just pull you over, point a machine gun at you and ask you to surrender your car. If you wont, your dead. Thats what I heard.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:36 PM

Interesting post...The grass is always greener on the other side...They fly on the autobahn , but when they crash, they die. The roads would handle over 100 mph here in the good USA, but is the driver mentality...
Is interesting, in Europe, the max is actually identical with the I30 (got a 4 th gen). I never had my car over 105 ,and with my luck ,Id get cought going faster than that. I think that going over 100 in the rain is quite dangerous. Or it may be cause we re not used to go that fast.
Old 02-14-2004, 01:43 PM

I would say... just put on some rainx on your windshield if you are driving that fast, the wind will push the water beads on your shield anyway, no need to fuss with the blades.
Old 02-14-2004, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by TZapper
I might be wrong, but there are not that many autobahns in germany, and most are inter-country, like from Germany to Poland where there are no exits whatsoever. My friend used to buy cars in germany and drive them back to east europe for selling. Autobahns are hella long, no exits, you gotta have fuel tank and some extra and food. Also he was telling me about racketeers. If your driving a nice car, 4 audis would just pull you over, point a machine gun at you and ask you to surrender your car. If you wont, your dead. Thats what I heard.
People usually steal the cars in Germany, not buy them. Then drive them through Poland to Russia, where they sell them cheap.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by wojowojo16
That's just how fast everyone drives! I don't have the Potenza's on my car. They were taken off and never replaced. Right now I have the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's on there. They have worked wonders for me, including driving through about 38" of snow. My front bumper was literally plowing the snow to the side.

Quick Reply: Maxima not fit for Germany?