5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Maxima not fit for Germany?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by bigdo26
Hows that stability cruisin over 100? Feel pretty confident? I'll never have the opportunity, so I'd love to know how the Max does as a high speed cruiser

The Max cruises nicely over 100 MPH. It will hit 120 with ease and slowly accelerate up to about 130. You have to have the pedal to the metal to get it to 137. My only complaints are the ones that started this thread.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:12 AM

Originally Posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
may I ask a question, if you're not in the military, why did you take the Max with you? I bet you could have sold the Max in the US for like 13-15 grand and could have gotten and nice used BMW...
Because I love my Max. Traitor!
Old 02-19-2004, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by mad2kmax
I agree 100%. It's especially bad around here in the south. I don't know what these people are thinking or doing, but it drives me absolutly insane. It muckes up the whole traffic flow and is agrivating.
sorry, just had to vent
On an additional note. You don't see many old people drive on the Autobahns here, further, if you get rear ended here, it's your fault. It is your obligation to move right whenever possible.

Nothing better than cruising down the Autobahn singing, "Move B!tch, get out the way!"
Old 02-19-2004, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by TZapper
I might be wrong, but there are not that many autobahns in germany, and most are inter-country, like from Germany to Poland where there are no exits whatsoever. My friend used to buy cars in germany and drive them back to east europe for selling. Autobahns are hella long, no exits, you gotta have fuel tank and some extra and food. Also he was telling me about racketeers. If your driving a nice car, 4 audis would just pull you over, point a machine gun at you and ask you to surrender your car. If you wont, your dead. Thats what I heard.
I think that you are greatly misinformed. I have not experienced anything like that. I have driven to Czech and Belgium. I've never had problems with fuel, and have never heard any stories about anyone getting jacked.

Maybe you are thinking of Wales or Russia or something.....
Old 02-19-2004, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by astil
Interesting post...The grass is always greener on the other side...They fly on the autobahn , but when they crash, they die. The roads would handle over 100 mph here in the good USA, but is the driver mentality...
Is interesting, in Europe, the max is actually identical with the I30 (got a 4 th gen). I never had my car over 105 ,and with my luck ,Id get cought going faster than that. I think that going over 100 in the rain is quite dangerous. Or it may be cause we re not used to go that fast.
I think you'd be shocked. I feel quite safe driving on the Autobahn. Germans tend to be very strict about rules. As a matter of fact, they self enforce each other. A bit of a cultural shock to me the first time I violated a traffic sign, and every German car honked at me, flashed their lights, and gave me nice sign language.

In my opinion the interstate highways don't even come close to the quality of the Autobahns. Of course, I was from Pennsylvania, and they have notoriously bad roads.

It is, however, true, that many Autobahn accidents result in death. However, I feel that if I obey the laws, and drive safely (Safe distances etc), there is nothing unsafe about going 100+.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Trance Artur
People usually steal the cars in Germany, not buy them. Then drive them through Poland to Russia, where they sell them cheap.
I haven't heard anything like that. Maybe that's prevalent in another part of Germany.
Old 02-19-2004, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by six-o
That's just how fast everyone drives! I don't have the Potenza's on my car. They were taken off and never replaced. Right now I have the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-22's on there. They have worked wonders for me, including driving through about 38" of snow. My front bumper was literally plowing the snow to the side.
Oops, this was another question I had. Any idea how much I can push this tire? It's a snow tire, and I've been rolling 130MPH on it. Any ideas where I can find the max speed rating of this tire. (I've heard most snow tires are ~100MPH).

BBridgestone Blizzak LM-22's
Old 02-19-2004, 08:37 AM

Do you drive with US registration, or did you register your car in Germany ?
I believe you have to do a lot of changes to the car to pass EU requirements
Old 02-19-2004, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by ZAJOBA
Do you drive with US registration, or did you register your car in Germany ?
I believe you have to do a lot of changes to the car to pass EU requirements
The car is US spec and has been registered with the US Government in Germany. I did not have to pass German/EU specs. (I think it would be very difficult, ie, many modifications.)
Old 02-19-2004, 11:20 AM
is invisible

I wish cruise control would set @ 20mph: school zones; It's a PITA trying to hold that exact speed.

Karlsruhe, Germany: 155mph driver guilty
Old 02-19-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by F23A4
I still would go anything beyond 85mph in rain.

Right now, I'm soooo jealous of six-o; I hate having to go beyond 75mph on a wide open I287 (NJ) and have to be concerned about New Jersey's Revenue Collection Gestapo ....er...NJ State Police stopping me.
I would if I had some Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions S0-3s
Old 02-19-2004, 10:44 PM

wow, that's a great story about the cars in Germany. What's even intriuging is the Maxima is unique in Bavaria.
Old 02-20-2004, 12:43 AM
† ErV †

Originally Posted by CoolMax
I wish cruise control would set @ 20mph: school zones; It's a PITA trying to hold that exact speed.

Karlsruhe, Germany: 155mph driver guilty
20mph comes right on the shift point of 2-3rd gear. just drop it in 2nd and cruise along with no effort.

Old 02-20-2004, 12:45 AM
vqman

are the Germans really doing 100+ in the rain?

or are they just cleaing their windshields off at 100+?

the max is a pretty stable car and all...but I don't think I'd be doing over 100 (even on an empty highway) in the rain...

I guess hydroplaning going 55 mph in my 1987 Accord LXi (back in December 1994) and rolling it 2 and a half times has a little to do with that...

still shell shocked after 9 years!

-vq

Old 02-20-2004, 05:39 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by EvilRoadsVictim
20mph comes right on the shift point of 2-3rd gear. just drop it in 2nd and cruise along with no effort.
OK.
Old 02-20-2004, 06:06 AM

Oops, this was another question I had. Any idea how much I can push this tire? It's a snow tire, and I've been rolling 130MPH on it. Any ideas where I can find the max speed rating of this tire. (I've heard most snow tires are ~100MPH).

BBridgestone Blizzak LM-22's
If it's a 225/50R17, it's a V rated tire so you're okay. If it's different it could be either H or V rated.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
man that is tight...you have a car that NO ONE has over there

.shrugs. Someone has a maxima in Germany.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Driven EF9

.shrugs. Someone has a maxima in Germany.
I seen a white Maxima like that in Poland. Just a few weeks ago when I was there.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by 00MAXI
I would if I had some Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions S0-3s
Actually, I'm considering these tires to replace the Snow tires. IS there any feedback on these tires? They look like the best rated tires on tirerack for the Max.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by VQMAN
are the Germans really doing 100+ in the rain?

or are they just cleaing their windshields off at 100+?

the max is a pretty stable car and all...but I don't think I'd be doing over 100 (even on an empty highway) in the rain...

I guess hydroplaning going 55 mph in my 1987 Accord LXi (back in December 1994) and rolling it 2 and a half times has a little to do with that...

still shell shocked after 9 years!

-vq
I have wrecked a car similarly when I was 17. Totalled a Mazda Protege. Yeah, they really do drive over 100mph in the rain. It's really not that a big of a deal. Like I said the Authobahn are, in my opinion, superior to the Interstates. I haven't hydroplaned once, nor have I ever seen a place to do it.
Old 02-20-2004, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by CoolMax
That's a sad story. What's almost as sad was that nobody explained (to the young mom) that a Kia doesnt belong in the left lane of the autobahn. A Kia doesnt belong in the left lane of a US interstate.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:27 AM

That's a sad story. What's almost as sad was that nobody explained (to the young mom) that a Kia doesnt belong in the left lane of the autobahn. A Kia doesnt belong in the left lane of a US interstate.
worst part is he is going to get 18 months in jail...maybe he flashed her to move out of the way and she didn't listen

is this the turbo-rolf story? i didnt click the link but there was a good discussion on clubrsx about it
Old 02-23-2004, 08:02 AM
is invisible

Originally Posted by GLE02NJ
worst part is he is going to get 18 months in jail...maybe he flashed her to move out of the way and she didn't listen

is this the turbo-rolf story? i didnt click the link but there was a good discussion on clubrsx about it
The guy's name is Rolf Fischer.
It seems that's what he would be doing...I guess she didn't get out of the way as is customary and he went around on the shoulder and cut her off, causing her to lose control.

"Based on witness accounts, prosecutors said Fischer was speeding down a highway between the western cities of Esslingen and Papenberg in a company-owned Mercedes Benz CL 600 at up to 250 kilometers an hour (155 mph) when he tried to overtake a Kia car on the far left shoulder.

The 21-year-old driver lost control of her car after swerving to avoid the Mercedes, spun across two lanes and smashed into a bank of trees."
Old 02-23-2004, 08:12 AM
is invisible

Very true.
Who would even think Kias would be available there?
Not trying to detract fault from the guilty driver, but what was she doing in the left lane and why didn't she yield to faster traffic?
Was she a visitor to Germany?
Old 02-23-2004, 08:23 AM

So my Maxima just got out here to Germany. Here are the problems I am encountering, and I thought I might get some good answers here. I am a total newbie and I have a Maxima 2001 SE 5spd.

First:
My windshield wipers are absolutely aweful at speeds over 100mph. I think the wind coming off the windshield pushes the blade off the windshield, thus it does a very poor job at wiping. I think I just need to increase the pressure against the windshield, but am not sure how to go about doing this.

Second:
Cruise control doesn't work at speeds over 94 mph. This sucks. I'd have to be in the far right lane at all times at this speed.

Lastly:
The car (wind noise) is excessively loud at speeds over 110 or 120mph. I can't even talk to people in the back seat without having to raise my voice. It sounds like there is wind whistling in the rear doors.

What are your suggestions? I think I could get out the duct tape and fix some of these things, but I was wondering if there were any nice clean solutions.....
hahaha, just read this for the first time, wish your problems were my problems bro