5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

'01 clutch on NATIONAL backorder?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2004, 07:02 PM
MaximaFreak

'01 clutch on NATIONAL backorder?

This is the story I've gotten from Lexus (bought the Max used at the Lexus dealer): that the 4 parts making up the clutch of the '01 Maxima are all on national backorder.

You're kidding, right? Anyone want to give a call to their local dealer real quick? And ... not sure if they make one for the 5th gen but ... NOT the "Key Value" Clutch Kit, the actual OEM clutch. If I can call a dealer and have it shipped, I'm all about it.

Seriously, if you have five minutes and can give a call, post your results here. I called about 15 dealers the other day and none had this part in stock. My wife has been without her car for 2 weeks, it's borderline absurd. There has to be one clutch out there.

Old 02-17-2004, 08:21 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Big_Ham
This is the story I've gotten from Lexus (bought the Max used at the Lexus dealer): that the 4 parts making up the clutch of the '01 Maxima are all on national backorder.

You're kidding, right? Anyone want to give a call to their local dealer real quick? And ... not sure if they make one for the 5th gen but ... NOT the "Key Value" Clutch Kit, the actual OEM clutch. If I can call a dealer and have it shipped, I'm all about it.

Seriously, if you have five minutes and can give a call, post your results here. I called about 15 dealers the other day and none had this part in stock. My wife has been without her car for 2 weeks, it's borderline absurd. There has to be one clutch out there.

Try looking for an ASCO clutch, ASCO diaphram, with NSK throwout bearing. I'm not 100% sure but either ASCO or Exedy OEM the clutch for Nissan. NSK is pretty much OEM for most all Japanese cars (I know they are for Honda for sure). Good luck!
Old 02-17-2004, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by Big_Ham

Depending on the production date of your Maxima, I may have a clutch for you. '01 Maximas produced after 11/00 have a different clutch, I believe the disc for that setup is on back-order, but it seems strange that your dealer hasn't tried to find you one in two weeks! Get the VIN from your car, and give me a call @ 888-254-6060, and I'll find you a clutch!
Old 02-17-2004, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by DAVEB
Depending on the production date of your Maxima, I may have a clutch for you. '01 Maximas produced after 11/00 have a different clutch, I believe the disc for that setup is on back-order, but it seems strange that your dealer hasn't tried to find you one in two weeks! Get the VIN from your car, and give me a call @ 888-254-6060, and I'll find you a clutch!
Once again, DaveB is the MAN!
Old 02-18-2004, 10:55 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by ChromeSE5
Once again, DaveB is the MAN!
You know what, DaveB IS the man. He helped me out HUGE just by gathering information that the Lexus dealer couldn't manage to.

As it turns out, before I was able to call Lexus with all the ammo Dave got to me, they called me to tell me they got the part in and the car was in the air being worked on as he left me the message.

Dave - thank you SO MUCH. Your help was so appreciated you have no idea. I was getting literally NO communication from the dealer and you managed to track everything down in a matter of hours this morning.

Dave is a huge asset to the .org, I hope everyone realizes some of the great people that we have here.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Why go OEM? I'd go EXEDY instead.

Very OEM like, but can take more abuse.
Old 02-18-2004, 11:33 AM
MaximaFreak

Originally Posted by IceY2K1
Why go OEM? I'd go EXEDY instead.

Very OEM like, but can take more abuse.
My wife drives like my grandma and I KNOW the OEM clutch will work and all parts and labor are under warranty. I learned first hand what it's like to not have a stock clutch ... the dealer gave me the aforementioned "Key Value" clutch and it is the biggest POS I've ever used.

OEM for me.
Old 02-19-2004, 03:52 PM
MaximaFreak

Ugh. I'm almost sorry to say it, but the car is back and is actually worse than when it went in. When it went in all that was happening was the clutch was dumping to the floor. Tech diagnoses as a bad clutch. Againse Jeff's reccommendation, I do not tell them to do the master cylinder and then the clutch, rather I decide to take their word for it (I'm thinking clutch systems are not THAT different from dealer to dealer).

2 weeks of waiting for the part to get in, a fight with the dealer about who was paying for the rental and $750 later, the car is back. Not only is it doing the EXACT same thing, but the engine now does not sound right. I drove this thing the day we brought it in and it did NOT sound like this. Power is lost up top and when cruising at any speed and enough gas to keep the car at a constant speed, there is an audible click. Additionally, while sitting idling, depressing the clutch drops the RPM's almost to a stall. If you give it gas and put the clutch in about an inch (until you reach some resistance), you can feel the pedal fluttering. None of this was happening beforehand. I'm infuriated.

After I was finally able to drive the car, I pulled over on the side of the road, got out of the car and called my service rep. On his VM I demanded a call first thing in the morning and I stated that a tech could not have POSSIBLY driven the car and said it was fine. I told him this was completely unacceptable and I want a call, like, YESTERDAY.

Then I call Lexus Customer Care. I tell the guy everything that has happened. He's very sympathetic and states he will call the GM and the Customer Care rep for that dealer (Lexus of Tampa Bay) and leave them a voicemail tonight for them to call me tomorrow.

On a side note, most of you in the 5th gen forum don't know about what happened to me with my clutch in my '98, but it was almost as unpleasant and that was through Nissan. I just can't win. I hate this crap ... not what I needed. And worse yet, it's my wife's car ... so then I have to hear her complain to me on top of it all. Not fun.

I guess I'm just writing to vent ... I'll post any updates here for those interested. *sigh*