5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Looking to get in the game.

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2004, 09:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Looking to get in the game.

Well this is my first post here. Here's the story. Right now i have a 94 Taurus SHO - 5 Speed. I'm looking to buy a maxima here in a few months i've been looking around here for a while now (couple weeks.) Just wondering if you guys could tell me some info on these nice cars. i'm looking at the 00-02 models, also i'm looking for the 5-speed/6-speed option. I'd also like to get all the options if possible-not too big on the heated stearing wheel <- i mean come-on, who needs a HEATED stearing wheel..lol. thanks guys/and gals. Also do the maximas react to mods very good? ex: intake exhaust, y-pipes maf sensors??

Thanks,
Adam
here so if this stuff has been said, my bad.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:35 PM

Taurus SHO with stick is one of my favorite cars which is probably why I love the Max so much. It's alot like a more modern SHO(not that the SHO is dated). I would definitely go for the 6sp 02 or 03. No stock Max prior to 02 can touch the 3.5 VQ in power and performance and the 6sp is alot of fun and provides a somewhat different driving experience IMO if you've driven only five-speeds in the past.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by 6spmax
No stock Max prior to 02 can touch the 3.5 VQ in power and performance and the 6sp is alot of fun and provides a somewhat different driving experience IMO if you've driven only five-speeds in the past.
Performance don't only count for straightaway speed you know, all 5gens handle very well!!!!!!!! BTW We 2000-2001 owner still have more aftermarket parts then ya'll 02-03 owners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's just too bad I don't have none of it!!!!!! LOL
Old 02-20-2004, 10:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Alright, that might raise another question. How much are max's going for? the 00-01 and then the 02, I'll be taking a loan out. I'm only 17 yrs old working part time clerk at quick trip..haha
Old 02-20-2004, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by SHOyours
Alright, that might raise another question. How much are max's going for? the 00-01 and then the 02, I'll be taking a loan out. I'm only 17 yrs old working part time clerk at quick trip..haha
Hey don't feel bad beening 17. I was 16 when I got my maxima, now I'am only 20 and working in LGA airport as a screener. If I were you, try to make your parents help you with it.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer to your question is anywhere from 12,000-16,000 for a 00-01. And 16,000-22,000 for a 02-03.!!!!!!!!!!! I also think the insurance is cheaper on the 00-01 because the 02-03 headlights are hot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Think this should help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 10:40 PM
I miss the .org!

Good choice :thumbsup

If you're on a budget, go for a 2000-2001 GXE. That's the cheapest trim level, and then you can just upgrade from there. The 00-01's also have more aftermarket options than the 02-03's.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:55 PM

Hi! and welcome to the forums. I am still a regular visitor at Shoforum.com and have owned 2 SHO's myself. Personally, the SHO is great but it does NOT respond well to mods.

My 4th gen can turn into a different beast with a little over 2 grand spent. (y-pipe, intake, VI, ECU, Springs, RSB, GR2's, FSB) Where an SHO can get the SHOSHOP stages done and barely make decent gains....(that is IF your stuff ever gets shipped!!!!)

You're 17 right? Limited budget?
Look, a 4th gen can be had for cheap nowadays(like $4k), and they are reliable...hehe unlike the SHO!
Your SHO is faster than a Max but with a couple of mods the Max will beat the SHO and then some. (We have good amount of torque to say the least)
Whichever year you get, make it a 5-speed. The only things I miss about my SHO compared to my Max are the High End power and the Interior. (Very comfy for a 6'4 goof like myself )
Old 02-20-2004, 11:04 PM
DoGGy

i cant belive yall cant even help this guy with the real info.

00/01 have 222hp. 02/03 have 255 hp and also HID/navigation (optional)

GXE models are the cheapest one
SE (sporty edition) is porbably the one you want. it comes with bigger sized rims, fog lights, spoiler and buncha other goodies that the SE edition comes with

GLE is the luxury edition and it comes in auto only. if u were lookin for a 95-99, id be able to help a little more. and if i was u id go for 02/03 !!

Old 02-20-2004, 11:09 PM

(We have good amount of torque to say the least)
Whichever year you get, make it a 5-speed. The only things I miss about my SHO compared to my Max are the High End power and the Interior. (Very comfy for a 6'4 goof like myself )[/QUOTE]

Hey don't feel bad, I'am a 6'3 goof to, but also 306 pound football player goof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-20-2004, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by DoGGy
i cant belive yall cant even help this guy with the real info.
if i was u id go for 02/03 !!

Why would you go with the 02/03? How many 17 year olds working at $8.50 an hour are going to blow all of their money on a 02-03 model.....

I tried to post a reasonable plan of action to someone that I can somewhat relate. As I stated before, I have owned 2 SHO's. I think I know what an ex-SHO owner expects out of their vehicles.
Old 02-20-2004, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by Lurchdogg11
Why would you go with the 02/03? How many 17 year olds working at $8.50 an hour are going to blow all of their money on a 02-03 model.....

I tried to post a reasonable plan of action to someone that I can somewhat relate. As I stated before, I have owned 2 SHO's. I think I know what an ex-SHO owner expects out of their vehicles.
Looks to be only one dog around here, and that's Lurchdogg11!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice reply Man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-21-2004, 09:07 AM

personally, i'd say if a 02 is too much money for you, then look into getting a 99. its the old body style but a little faster than the 00/01s (due to weight) and has a more sporty feel to it.

and as far as the heated steering wheel....i thought the same thing. but the truth is, that thing is glorious. if you live anywhere where it gets into the 20s or colder it is a beautiful thing to have. heats the steering wheel up in just a couple minutes.
Old 02-21-2004, 09:17 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Hi! and welcome to the forums. I am still a regular visitor at Shoforum.com and have owned 2 SHO's myself. Personally, the SHO is great but it does NOT respond well to mods.

My 4th gen can turn into a different beast with a little over 2 grand spent. (y-pipe, intake, VI, ECU, Springs, RSB, GR2's, FSB) Where an SHO can get the SHOSHOP stages done and barely make decent gains....(that is IF your stuff ever gets shipped!!!!)

You're 17 right? Limited budget?
Look, a 4th gen can be had for cheap nowadays(like $4k), and they are reliable...hehe unlike the SHO!
Your SHO is faster than a Max but with a couple of mods the Max will beat the SHO and then some. (We have good amount of torque to say the least)
Whichever year you get, make it a 5-speed. The only things I miss about my SHO compared to my Max are the High End power and the Interior. (Very comfy for a 6'4 goof like myself )

SHO's take to mods like a fish to water. I don't know what kind of problems you had in the past with yours, but their potential is every bit as good power wise, and they actually can handle better than our 4th-5th Gen Maximas ever will.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:07 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Ghase
(We have good amount of torque to say the least)
Hey don't feel bad, I'am a 6'3 goof to, but also 306 pound football player goof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![/QUOTE]

Wouldn't want to see you in a dark alley.
Old 02-21-2004, 11:31 AM
Lightly modded

I also vote for a 95-96 4th gen if you plan on modding the engine heavily. If you want the VI, you'll need a JWT ECU to take advantage of the power up top. IMO, the VI/JWT combo totally transfoms our car. It's the next thing on my mod list for sure. If you don't plan on putting that much money into the car, then the 97-99 Maximas might be for you, since they generally look a little better than the 95-96 Maximas. If you wanna be different, try looking for a 96 I30 with 5 speed. Some of the 5 speed I30's get VLSD. Mine did. I don't see any real point to get a 5th gen unless you got money to blow. 00-01 are "basically" the same car as the 4th gen, but it's heavier, and there aren't any ECUs available yet. 02-03s are probably a lot more money than you've got right now, and mods for those are still kinda scarce.
Old 02-21-2004, 12:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your guys kill me-in a good way! i'm also a 6'5 265ish football player (O-LINE BABY) i'm not looking to do too much heavy mods but something that will sound good and look good. The SHO is FAST to me. that's why i was wondering about the 02 year, i seen they have the 255 hp as to the 00-01 have only 222. Yeah the SHO dont really react to mods that great. Unless it's boooooosted then there krazy quick. Dont get me wrong i love the sho, but i also really like how the maxima looks. Lurchdogg you wouldn't happen to be ri-sho would you? cause i post over there alot (94' SHO) but thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to go look in the wtb ads here.
Old 02-21-2004, 02:09 PM
scopium

since your 17 and low on cash.. a 01 would be nice
02 would be great
but 01 should run about 14 000 loaded.
and dont make a mistake like i did..
go with the stick not auto..
and the two first mods you should do performance wise.. Berk intake and warpspeed y pipe

Old 02-21-2004, 03:24 PM
Reported

be really careful taking out a loan. you may get socked with a very high interest rate cuz your 17 and you have a part time job. if anything borrow your parents $$. to the bank you are a risky investment
Old 02-22-2004, 06:47 AM

Originally Posted by Quicksilver
SHO's take to mods like a fish to water. I don't know what kind of problems you had in the past with yours, but their potential is every bit as good power wise, and they actually can handle better than our 4th-5th Gen Maximas ever will.
I guess I was thinking more in 1/4 mile wise. I haven't seen too many low 14 second timeslips from NA SHO's. I would thnk this is because the SHO responds very well to simple mods like Removing the Air silencer, Y-pipe, and the LPM chip. I think you'd agree that if you're doing anything beyond that, HP for the dollar is very expensive...

Originally Posted by SHOyours
Lurchdogg you wouldn't happen to be ri-sho would you? cause i post over there alot (94' SHO) but thanks guys for all the help. I'm going to go look in the wtb ads here.
No I'm not RI-sho, but I think I know who you're talking about.
Old 02-22-2004, 09:24 AM

hey what kind of mods do they have out for teh 02-03 max? i hear people saying there isnt alot of mods, do they not have a y-pipe??????
Old 02-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Lurchdogg what do you post under at the shoforum.com, Also does anyone know if hte intakes sound good or have audio clips of it, i heard the powertech vs ?? exhaust nothing i was looking for, i was actually kinda looking for fart can possible, i really like the sound they give off, also the intakes i'd like a audio clip if possible. I love my sho i raced my friends 89 supra Turbo, killed him, got a 4.98 mb if anyone wants to host it for me i'd be glad to sho you guys
Old 02-22-2004, 04:58 PM

Wouldn't want to see you in a dark alley. [/QUOTE]

I wouldn't want to to see myself in a dark alley....LOL!!!!!!!
Old 02-22-2004, 09:57 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

"Wouldn't want to see you in a dark alley."

I'm a nice loving careing guy....NOT..j'k..i'm really thinkg about getting into the max game.
Old 02-22-2004, 11:15 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

im 18 and i bought my 2k se 5-speed about 6 months ago adn i lover her to death. in all honesty i was in the same boat, concerning finance. try as hard as possible to buy her cash. so you have a little more freedom concerning your spending.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:31 AM

my dad and moms bought me my 2k1 when i was a senior in high school.. 2 yrs later i still like her quite a bit, but id like a bimmer haha.. im still grateful so dont get on my case telling me " why are itchin mommy n daddy got u it for free" so my advice try to get your parents to help you with the downpayment. The more you put down the better.
Old 02-23-2004, 03:42 AM
Go BUCKS!!!

The loan is going to have to be in his parents' name(s) anyways till he turns 18. There are numerous mods you can do to pretty all the years of the Maxima, but anywhere from '98's on up will be the most powerful = highest on insurance. Good luck, keep us informed and welcome to the .org