5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Ready to buy new springs/struts, Koni???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2004, 09:17 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ready to buy new springs/struts, Koni???

Ok, I am almost ready to buy, I am going with H&R springs, but I am having trouble deciding on struts. I hear good things about Koni but what is the deal on the inability to adjust the rears while on car? I need suggestions and advice from someone with Koni installed, are they worth it? How about long term, any issues? Another option would be adjustable Tokicos or adjustable KYB. I want something that will last a long time with no maintinence. If I go with Koni what else do I need, a camber adjuster?
-thanks
Old 02-26-2004, 09:28 AM

Dave,
My experience with Koni (reds on my mustang) has been that you have to unbolt the bottom mount, completely compress the shock and then rotate the the bottom half either left or right to increase or decrease the rate. Not easy to do! I'm not sure if the yellows are the same way or not, but it is a major pain in the ***! KYB has a much, much better idea of an adjustment **** that you simply turn. Just something to think about.

Tom
Old 02-26-2004, 09:37 AM

Good choice of springs. I have illuminas and eibachs. Heres a review i did about this set-up. I would get illuminas since konis are a ***** to adjust in the rear. Scroll down for pics of the drop and there are pics of the adjuster ***** at the top of the struts on page 2. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280224
Old 02-26-2004, 09:38 AM
CCx

Dave,

The Tokico Illumina struts are also adjustable with a little **** on the top as well - the rear ones (any strut) are a little tougher to get to due to the placement of them, but still easy to adjust nonetheless.
Old 02-26-2004, 12:11 PM

Can rear konis be adjusted by removing the rear wheels?
Old 02-26-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by David W.
Can rear konis be adjusted by removing the rear wheels?
That'd be a NO. You have to disconnect the bottom strut mount and twist the strut assembly to adjust.
This is why I didn't even consider the Koni's and waited for the Tok's to be released.

I'm on Illuminas & Progress Springs, if I had it to do again, I'd have purchased the H&R's instead of the Progress for a little more firm ride.

-- don't be foolish david....get the Tok's -- SO worth it.
Koni's may be a superior strut overall, but the INCONVENIENCE of the install and the adjustablility as compared to the Illuminas is insane!
Old 02-26-2004, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by 2kGLE
Good choice of springs. I have illuminas and eibachs. Heres a review i did about this set-up. I would get illuminas since konis are a ***** to adjust in the rear. Scroll down for pics of the drop and there are pics of the adjuster ***** at the top of the struts on page 2. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=280224
3F/3R: Very stiff, harsh ride. Very little body roll and practically no nose dive when braking. Feels like its on rails and doesnt understeer much at all.
4F/4R: WOWWW!!! I really really like this setting. Practically no body roll. Very stiff ride but it felt really smooth for some reason. I was amazed with this setting because the car felt really comfortable for how stiff it was. The limits are so far out that i didnt want to try braking traction where i was testing.
4F/5R: Again, I didnt really brake the car loose much to see how the it felt when oversteering, but damn did it feel tight and well balanced. It eliminated the fwd, gonna understeer feeling. I need to test this setting more because i really like it its just hard to test braking it loose.

After a month on Illuminas and Progress springs, I could not agree MORE with this write-up!!
3f/3r is just AWFUL!

I'm set on 4f/5r now - and it's beautiful!!

gr
Old 02-26-2004, 01:24 PM

Sounds good, I think you have convinced me. I may be going with the Illuminas. Let me ask you, do they fit right on with no cutting or further modification? Thanks for the info again.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by David W.
Sounds good, I think you have convinced me. I may be going with the Illuminas. Let me ask you, do they fit right on with no cutting or further modification? Thanks for the info again.
Yes they fit right in, no modification at all. I waited sooooo long for illuminas to come out, because i didnt want konis and blues/gr2s werent going to cut it. I bought them the minute i found them for sale. There is this one tokico distributer on ebay who sells them at great prices, so you might want to check that out. I got mine for $430 shipped. H&Rs with tokicos will be sick. You wont be disapointed with this set-up.
Old 02-26-2004, 01:38 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider17
3F/3R: Very stiff, harsh ride. Very little body roll and practically no nose dive when braking. Feels like its on rails and doesnt understeer much at all.
4F/4R: WOWWW!!! I really really like this setting. Practically no body roll. Very stiff ride but it felt really smooth for some reason. I was amazed with this setting because the car felt really comfortable for how stiff it was. The limits are so far out that i didnt want to try braking traction where i was testing.
4F/5R: Again, I didnt really brake the car loose much to see how the it felt when oversteering, but damn did it feel tight and well balanced. It eliminated the fwd, gonna understeer feeling. I need to test this setting more because i really like it its just hard to test braking it loose.

After a month on Illuminas and Progress springs, I could not agree MORE with this write-up!!
3f/3r is just AWFUL!

I'm set on 4f/5r now - and it's beautiful!!

gr
hahaha so i was right on the money with that review huh? How do you like 4f/5r vs 5f/5r? Does 4/5 feel better balanced to you in terms of understeer/oversteer?
Old 02-26-2004, 01:50 PM

Thanks again, I think I will be ordering them today.
Old 02-26-2004, 02:23 PM
CCx

You an also order them from Southwest Autoworks at a very competitive price. I reccommend them due to their great customer service for all of us Maxima heads