5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Supercharger or Turbocharger?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 03:56 PM

Despite of the pros and cons of each, what do you prefer?
Old 03-13-2001, 04:06 PM

turbo's are my preferance but since none are out for our cars, a custom one will run you about $10k or more...the stillen supercharger will add quite a bit of power (about 80 wheel hp) and costs $3800...you also have to remember that shops charge about $1k for install on either...i personally like turbos because of the fact that they spool up rather than running all the time...superchargers run all the time no matter how much throttle you are putting on so your tranny and engine will wear out much faster...turbos have to spool up before they start which is bad in some cases, but it will make your engine and tranny last much longer...however, tons of cars w/ turbos stock are known to have some problems so its all upto your opinion...if i had the money i would probably go with a supercharger and a new level 10 tranny
Old 03-13-2001, 04:14 PM

Bullseye!

Originally posted by MrBurner
turbo's are my preferance but since none are out for our cars, a custom one will run you about $10k or more...the stillen supercharger will add quite a bit of power (about 80 wheel hp) and costs $3800...you also have to remember that shops charge about $1k for install on either...i personally like turbos because of the fact that they spool up rather than running all the time...superchargers run all the time no matter how much throttle you are putting on so your tranny and engine will wear out much faster...turbos have to spool up before they start which is bad in some cases, but it will make your engine and tranny last much longer...however, tons of cars w/ turbos stock are known to have some problems so its all upto your opinion...if i had the money i would probably go with a supercharger and a new level 10 tranny

You Da Man!

Exactly what I was looking for, Thanks MrBurner!
Old 03-13-2001, 04:45 PM
I'm needing a caw

What? That made no sense really. The most overriding factor in the longevity of your car whether it's na/turbo or sc'ed is how you take care of it.

If you want to get really technical about it, think about all the extra heat turbos retain and transfer into the engine not designed to withstand it. Still like turbos?
Old 03-13-2001, 05:58 PM

Don't turbos require (or heavily suggest the use of) timers to keep the engine running for 5-10 minutes to cool down the turbo.

What would be something to see is a dual turbo setup on a max. Two small turbos on each bank woohooo!

Damned aluminium block that you can't overboost!
Old 03-15-2001, 10:38 AM
I'm needing a caw

No not really. Most if not all new factory turbo cars do NOT come w/ timers. But common sense still must be used if you just come of some real hard running.

Why two small turbos on a already high compression maxima engine? The expense and headache would not even come close to justifing the small benefit they would provide.

Originally posted by bert
Don't turbos require (or heavily suggest the use of) timers to keep the engine running for 5-10 minutes to cool down the turbo.

What would be something to see is a dual turbo setup on a max. Two small turbos on each bank woohooo!

Damned aluminium block that you can't overboost!
Old 03-15-2001, 01:41 PM

i'm just saying what a shop told me
Old 03-15-2001, 01:44 PM
I'm needing a caw

Remind me not to let that shop work on my car. If I know more than them, that's a bad sign.

i'm just saying what a shop told me
Old 03-15-2001, 01:57 PM

remember not to get anything done at that shop...i'm only telling you this once
Old 03-15-2001, 02:16 PM

There would be two routes you could take on turbocharging your Max. One would be a setup more like a SC, that being a low boost application with no intercooler. This would definitely be cheaper, but I'm not sure why you would do this versus running a supercharger. If you want a lot of boost, there's only one choice... a turbocharged & intercooled setup. This would require a LOT of work (like dropping compression, designing exhaust manifolds, supplying extra fuel, intercooler plumbing, electronics to fool ecu or maybe a custom JWT ecu, etc). I could see this option hitting the $10K figure that was mentioned earlier.

A couple of advantages of turbos vs sc's is that you can get more boost out of them. With an intercooled turbo, you could run 20psi all day without any negative side effects, providing you do your homework and setup the engine's internals and other items mentioned above, correctly. A supercharger essentially becomes a super-heater after about 8psi (I'm guessing on this number). If you up the boost any higher than that, you are heating up the air so much that you aren't gaining any HP by running the higher boost. And, since you are supplying even hotter air, you are more likely to suffer from detonation.

One reason for turbo timers, is so that the turbo is allowed to cool. First off, turbos are exhaust driven. Considering that the exhaust gas temperatures of a turbocharged car is 1400F, you can see why. Secondly anytime you compress something, there is a temperature increase. By compressing the air more, you are generating more heat. Finally, turbos typically spin at around 200,000 rpm once spooled up. Because of this, they actually froth up the oil, like taking a blender to egg whites! This is what you can't allow to sit in your turbo. A nice cool down period which allows the oil to return to a more normal state is mandatory if you desire any kind of life expectancy out of your turbo.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in whichever route you decide to take. Finally, do your homework and BE CAREFUL. I don't want to hear any horror stories about you blowing your motor!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 02:22 PM

There would be two routes you could take on turbocharging your Max. One would be a setup more like a SC, that being a low boost application with no intercooler. This would definitely be cheaper, but I'm not sure why you would do this versus running a supercharger. If you want a lot of boost, there's only one choice... a turbocharged & intercooled setup. This would require a LOT of work (like dropping compression, designing exhaust manifolds, supplying extra fuel, intercooler plumbing, electronics to fool ecu or maybe a custom JWT ecu, etc). I could see this option hitting the $10K figure that was mentioned earlier.

A couple of advantages of turbos vs sc's is that you can get more boost out of them. With an intercooled turbo, you could run 20psi all day without any negative side effects, providing you do your homework and setup the engine's internals and other items mentioned above, correctly. A supercharger essentially becomes a super-heater after about 8psi (I'm guessing on this number). If you up the boost any higher than that, you are heating up the air so much that you aren't gaining any HP by running the higher boost. And, since you are supplying even hotter air, you are more likely to suffer from detonation.

One reason for turbo timers, is so that the turbo is allowed to cool. First off, turbos are exhaust driven. Considering that the exhaust gas temperatures of a turbocharged car is 1400F, you can see why. Secondly anytime you compress something, there is a temperature increase. By compressing the air more, you are generating more heat. Finally, turbos typically spin at around 200,000 rpm once spooled up. Because of this, they actually froth up the oil, like taking a blender to egg whites! This is what you can't allow to sit in your turbo. A nice cool down period which allows the oil to return to a more normal state is mandatory if you desire any kind of life expectancy out of your turbo.

Anyhow, I wish you the best of luck in whichever route you decide to take. Finally, do your homework and BE CAREFUL. I don't want to hear any horror stories about you blowing your motor!!!
Old 03-15-2001, 02:23 PM

damnit, desert pearl beat me to it...j/p
Old 03-15-2001, 05:51 PM

Wow!

Originally posted by Desert Pearl

You do your homework. May I call you Genius...Thanks!
Old 03-15-2001, 06:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

Can you tell me why none of the factory turbo cars come w/ a turbo timer if it's such a necessity? I mean the Supra TT cost $45k when new. You would think they would have installed a timer if was so important. And you can intercool a supercharger if you like.

Old 03-15-2001, 07:06 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Can you tell me why none of the factory turbo cars come w/ a turbo timer if it's such a necessity? I mean the Supra TT cost $45k when new. You would think they would have installed a timer if was so important. And you can intercool a supercharger if you like.
Factory cars don't come with turbo timers because it would deter potential buyers, I suspect. Most people aren't enthusiasts like ourselves and would be absolutely puzzled by the fact that their car keeps running even after they remove the keys.

Also, a little common sense should be applied here too. The easier you take it on your car just before parking it, the less you need a timer. If you just got in from kicking a Mustang's @ss and your exhaust manifold is glowing orange, then you should allow your car to idle for a while before killing it.

I skipped the intercooling superchargers part because they are very few and far between. I bet well over 90% of the supercharged cars on the road are NOT intercooled, but almost the opposite could be said about turbocharged cars.