5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Hey spring owners, how far did you cut your bumpstops? See pics for reference
1 in front & 1 in back
17.86%
1 in front & 2 in back
3.57%
1 in front & 3 in back
0%
2 in front & 1 in back
4.29%
2 in front & 3 in back
1.43%
3 in front & 3 in back
0.71%
Beyond 3 in front or back
0.71%
Only trimmed the back
3.57%
Didn't trim the bumpstops
67.86%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Hey spring owners, how far did you cut your bumpstops?? *Pics for comparision*

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 12:17 AM
Nightmare = Reality

you know. . I'm terribly confused. I have Eibachs/Illuminas waiting to go into my car, and I'm pulling my hair out caught between the 2. from one angle, i hear it's bad to cut the bump stops because the eibachs will crash at the bottom when you have it on a softer setting. then I'm hearing that the only thing I'm doing is regaining my lost suspension travel and many people report that trimming them has helped their suspension ride alot better. should I go halfway and only cut like. . .10-12mm instead of 20-30? maybe that would be a fair trade, that way I'd only lose half as much travel, yet still have enough stop left to properly end the travel of the shock/strut. Any ideas?
Old 07-05-2007, 08:10 AM
Chassis Freak

From the way people talk, hitting the bumpstops causes a harsh ride. This seems strange to me. If you've ever held the bumpstops in your hand, you know that they are fairly soft foam (at least the 4th gen ones are). You can easily compress them with one hand. The bumpstops merely cause the suspension to be stiffer at the top to help slow it down before it actually bottoms out.

I would advise you not to cut and see how you like the ride/feel (and note especially how it feels over big bumps). I had H-Techs and Illuminas and over big bumps it was just terrible with cut bumpstops. However, H-Techs are too soft a spring for the drop, unlike Eibachs, so I definitely needed the stops to help stop the suspension over large bumps.

This is the kind of situation where we need a scientific test with different springs and cut/uncut bumpstops to settle the issue, but unfortunately that's not going to happen.

Since you can't undo cutting the bumpstops, I'd leave them now. If you feel your ride is suffering, it only takes a couple of hours to pull things out and cut them. Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 07-05-2007, 08:35 AM
detailerdaveb@gmail.com

I cut my bumpstops on my Tein S-Tech/Illumina setup. Within about 10K miles the bumpstops were shredded. The front struts were bottoming out and making a metal on metal sound when the strut would hit an imperfection on the freeway or street. I recently put on oem bumpstops and didn't trim them at all. Yes, it is a harsher ride (I'm getting new suspension soon) I didn't want to have problems with the new bumpstops so I didn't cut them.
Old 07-09-2007, 01:38 PM
Banned

ANY ONE WITH H&R springs........how low should the bumpstops be trimmed??

anyone.. i was thinking of doin 1 inch all the way around. I even called H&R and they said NOT to cut the bumpstops
Old 07-09-2007, 06:38 PM

i was thinking of getting some eibachs and running with the stock struts. i was thinking of cutting the bumpstops to the recomendations of the springs, but what do you guys think?
Old 07-10-2007, 05:12 AM
Banned

^^get some different struts as well. Your gonna end up killing the stock struts in 6 months
Old 07-11-2007, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by Trurida18

anyone.. i was thinking of doin 1 inch all the way around. I even called H&R and they said NOT to cut the bumpstops
I have Maxspeeds and Tokico HP's - Cut approx. 1/2"-3/4" only. 1" might actually be too much, especially if H&R even stated not to cut.

Personal preference and personal experience. I will never lower a car w/o cutting bumpstops. Never. Well, unless they are aftermarket and already shortened.
Old 07-11-2007, 02:49 PM
Banned

^^i guess ill do a half inch on each side....If anything, depending on the ride, if i get tired of the springs ill probably go back to stock in the rears, IF I DONT LIKE EM.... and keep the H&R in the front....i really hate that 4x4 look
Old 07-11-2007, 06:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i cut mine 1" and i still bottom out. is it safe to cut 2" on the fronts? (#2 on the bumpstop pic)
Old 07-12-2007, 04:10 PM

rocketsled,

before you go and buy struts, ive had my setup, vogtland [which is similiar to eibachs] on stock struts. i have an 03, like yours, and at the time i had installed, back in august'06, i had about 30k on the odometer. so relatively good struts.

its been way over 6 months, and by struts are still good. when i did the springs, i noticed that my front two struts had 'tokico' stamped on them, now im guessing, tokico make good struts, illuminas's/hp's, as many on the org can testify, how bad can they really be?

i know that 02 and 03 have these stock on the SE's. i really like the handling gains over the somewhat boaty handling characteristics of stock. but im thinking of cutting the bumpstop, now. I agree with Vquick, you should tailor cutting the bumpstops to your own specific situation.

the roads in the bay area/san francisco are relatively good, but a few disturbingly hard bottomouts have me, or my a** contemplating on the cutting option.
Old 07-12-2007, 06:56 PM
Chassis Freak

That's the thing though, if you're bottoming out hard already, cutting the bumpstops will make you bottom out harder. The bumpstops are basically cushions at the end of the suspension travel. If you make them smaller, they won't cushion as much and you'll hit bottom with more force. And I speak from experience.

One thing that could help you is to install adjustable struts and turn up the dampening so you're less likely to bottom out. Stiffer ride though.
Old 07-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Originally Posted by VQuick
That's the thing though, if you're bottoming out hard already, cutting the bumpstops will make you bottom out harder. The bumpstops are basically cushions at the end of the suspension travel. If you make them smaller, they won't cushion as much and you'll hit bottom with more force. And I speak from experience.

One thing that could help you is to install adjustable struts and turn up the dampening so you're less likely to bottom out. Stiffer ride though.
posts like this make me go nuts because I'm already confused and hesitant about cutting the bumpstops

Is there like Pillow Mounts or something to better isolate the shock when it hits bottom? Also, would cutting the smaller, nub-like part of the stop be better than cutting the nice, thick, large top section?
Old 07-15-2007, 09:30 AM
Chassis Freak

Pillow-ball mounts, despite the name, are all metal and are used with coilovers usually, and they are less forgiving than the stock mounts, which have rubber seats.

Don't go nuts worrying about this. At this point I would base your decision on what other 5.5 gen owners with Eibachs/Illuminas recommend. Or sell yours and get a set of Boss Chen or TEIN SS coilovers, which will never bottom out because they have ~4" of travel instead of 2" or so with lowering springs. I have Boss Chens and the ride is much better than my old H-Tech/Illumina setup. Very comfortable coilover (uses stock rubber mounts). Good luck whatever you decide.
Old 07-16-2007, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by Trurida18

Man, this thread has been going on forever.

Trurida18 - if it's not too late, I would not recommend cutting the bumpstops w/ H&Rs (at least the front). I recently changed from Eibachs to H&Rs in the front, and H&Rs sit about 1/2" higher than the Eibachs (giving me another 1/2" in suspension travel). I used the 2000 OEM bump stops (like post #73), installed as I've described in the 3rd paragraph. I'd definitely recommend this stop over the the 2001 bump stop if you're not going to cut the stop- it's far softer and more progressive IMO (= less 'bang' when hitting a bump).

VQuick - I can see where you wouldn't recommend trimming the bump stop if you're already using the foam stops. The rubber (2001 +?) one is much firmer, which IMO results in more severe 'crashes' though the car when you bottom out. What bump stop is used may be one of the reasons there's such a difference in opinion on whether or not to cut them in the first place.

For those interested - Dave B can hook you up with a good deal on the 2000OEM bump stops - I think I got mine for about $12 each (cheaper than aftermarket). They'll come with a dust boot. If you decide you want an extra 1/2" or so of travel, just use the bump stop without the stock boot. For those that want to do this, and are more worried about keeping a dustboot for stut protection than spending a little extra cash, the typical aftermarket boots (like the one listed bellow), will fit around the 2000 bump stop pretty well.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=1389&PTSet=A
Old 07-16-2007, 11:16 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by zoner
Man, this thread has been going on forever.

Trurida18 - if it's not too late, I would not recommend cutting the bumpstops w/ H&Rs (at least the front). I recently changed from Eibachs to H&Rs in the front, and H&Rs sit about 1/2" higher than the Eibachs (giving me another 1/2" in suspension travel). I used the 2000 OEM bump stops (like post #73), installed as I've described in the 3rd paragraph. I'd definitely recommend this stop over the the 2001 bump stop if you're not going to cut the stop- it's far softer and more progressive IMO (= less 'bang' when hitting a bump).

VQuick - I can see where you wouldn't recommend trimming the bump stop if you're already using the foam stops. The rubber (2001 +?) one is much firmer, which IMO results in more severe 'crashes' though the car when you bottom out. What bump stop is used may be one of the reasons there's such a difference in opinion on whether or not to cut them in the first place.

For those interested - Dave B can hook you up with a good deal on the 2000OEM bump stops - I think I got mine for about $12 each (cheaper than aftermarket). They'll come with a dust boot. If you decide you want an extra 1/2" or so of travel, just use the bump stop without the stock boot. For those that want to do this, and are more worried about keeping a dustboot for stut protection than spending a little extra cash, the typical aftermarket boots (like the one listed bellow), will fit around the 2000 bump stop pretty well.

http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductD...e=1389&PTSet=A
OK KOOL, thanks man.....ive already purchased some 2001 bumpstops, now the 2001 bumpstops dont have that orange piece correct. Ill probably do 1/2 inch in the front, and THE REARS IM NOT SURE
Old 07-16-2007, 05:18 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by zoner
If you're right then that is a key point. I bet that's why so many have claimed to see big improvements in ride after cutting bumpstops (5th gen), whereas on 4th gen (and 2000?) Maximas you need every bit of the bumpstops because they're so soft.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:21 PM
Nightmare = Reality

Pillow-ball mounts, despite the name, are all metal and are used with coilovers usually, and they are less forgiving than the stock mounts, which have rubber seats.

Don't go nuts worrying about this. At this point I would base your decision on what other 5.5 gen owners with Eibachs/Illuminas recommend. Or sell yours and get a set of Boss Chen or TEIN SS coilovers, which will never bottom out because they have ~4" of travel instead of 2" or so with lowering springs. I have Boss Chens and the ride is much better than my old H-Tech/Illumina setup. Very comfortable coilover (uses stock rubber mounts). Good luck whatever you decide.
hey man, thanks for the suggestions. I would be inclined to get the boss chens or the k-sports, but honestly, I drive through michigan winters and park my car outside, and from what i heard is that the cold can kill coilovers. I don't need $1k+ in suspension work DIE on my only car because of a cold spell. And as for bumpstops. I got new Tokico Boots from IRP when I ordered from Jeff, so. . .I'm still not 100% on if i should cut them or not, it sounds like it differs depending on what boots you buy now...
Old 07-17-2007, 08:03 AM
Chassis Freak

You're right on that count; if you drive your car regularly in cold winters you definitely don't want coilovers. I garage my car in the winter so they were a good choice for me. One other option is to switch back to stock for the winter: it's not that bad, takes less than 2 hours to switch, just take off the wheels, undo a few big bolts and swap out the whole suspension assembly. Then you have a comfortable suspension and higher ground clearance for snowy roads. Also, cold weather is bad for any kind of strut/damper but I think stock can handle it better than some aftermarkets. Illuminas are very strong struts but in the winter they do get much stiffer and less comfortable. So that's an option to think about.
Old 07-17-2007, 08:17 AM

newbage

So say i order springs/struts, and i have a shop install them in one shot.
Do i have to inform them about cutting bumbstops? If so how much is a good idea for best comfort?
FYI I planned for H&R and Ilumminas.

TIA
Old 07-17-2007, 10:46 AM
Suspension Yoda

I don't usually cut the bumpstops when I install H&R springs.

(You could have me do the work for a nominal charge )
Old 07-18-2007, 06:47 AM

To cut or not to cut that is the question.

Due to the varying opinions on bumpstops I am so lost as to what to do.
I am doing a mild H&R Drop w/ Illuminas.
What would be the best choice for comfort/reliability?

I have to pay for labor so i need to get it right the first time while we are in there.
Old 07-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Suspension Yoda

As I indicated, I don't usually cut the bumpstops with H&R. I did installs for a couple of my friends with that setup and they've noticed NO issues with bottoming out or hitting the bumpstops, and we're in central jersey on RU campus where there's a LOT of construction and potholes.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:17 AM
Nightmare = Reality

H&Rs don't need cutting. I have Eibachs and i didn't cut mine. I live in detroit and it's a little rough when it hits bottom, however in my first 1,000mi on the setup I can count on my two hands how many times i've bottomed out. I think that's totally acceptable considering I wasn't shy about finding the crappy stuff, although i took a measure of caution when i was approaching road changes.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:47 AM

wut bout bumpcuts if u have H-techs or progess spring?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:55 PM
Banned

alright guys...im dont with the debate about cutting the bump stops or not cutting them...Ive been holding onto my H&R's and illuminas for 3 months. And like Prophecy99 said, Im paying for labor...so its a one time shot...SO IM NOT CUTTING THEM, im going for the install next week FINALLY
Old 08-08-2007, 08:53 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

Bah, I almost hate to keep this debate going... Getting Eibachs/Illuminas soon (waiting on the 2 rear struts). I've got Advance Auto TRW strut bellows/bumpstop to install and am debating how much I can cut those, as my OEM ones are torn (at least in the front). I'll post up pics of what they look like. Most likely what I'll do is compare the length of the bumpstops and trim a little bit off the new ones (like 0.25")... I'd rather trim now rather than have to remove them and trim later.

Edit: Pics...

Old 08-08-2007, 10:35 PM
I R The Law

You don't need to trim them.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Hmmmm... Are these TRW ones shorter than the OEM ones? I intend to measure them side-by-side during the install to be sure...
Old 08-08-2007, 11:19 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
^ Hmmmm... Are these TRW ones shorter than the OEM ones? I intend to measure them side-by-side during the install to be sure...
Not sure. I have this set-up and I never trimmed the bump stops and I have no problem with it.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:51 AM

..... Also, cold weather is bad for any kind of strut/damper but I think stock can handle it better than some aftermarkets. Illuminas are very strong struts but in the winter they do get much stiffer and less comfortable. So that's an option to think about.
Thanks Vquick, I didnt no this general rule of thumb in the cold weather.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:02 AM
I'm watching you, boy...

Originally Posted by The Law
Not sure. I have this set-up and I never trimmed the bump stops and I have no problem with it.
Ah, I see! So you used same TRW's? And I'm assuming the bumpstop actually sits inside the bellows, as opposed to poking out slightly like I have in my pic (it actually came sitting down inside the bellows).
Old 08-09-2007, 11:52 AM
Nightmare = Reality

You're in Tennessee. I wouldn't expect you to need to cut the bumpstops as I'm positive your roads are better than here in detroit. I haven't cut mine and they look VERY similar to those TRWs (I got the Tokico/Hitachi "Shock Protection kit(s)) the softer material that's inserted into the boot should allieviate the need to shorten them.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:45 PM
I'm watching you, boy...

^ Thanks! I'm 90% sure I won't cut them, then. I just got the rear boots/bumpstops today and am attempting to figure out how the bumpstops fit in them.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:51 PM
I R The Law

Originally Posted by SilverGLE
Ah, I see! So you used same TRW's? And I'm assuming the bumpstop actually sits inside the bellows, as opposed to poking out slightly like I have in my pic (it actually came sitting down inside the bellows).
I actually used the stock bumpstops.