5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My Convertible Catback from Budget Performance Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 11:48 AM
Banned

My Convertible Catback from Budget Performance Exhaust

I spent all friday afternoon at Budget Performance Exhaust having my new catback installed.

What I ended up with is a test pipe, 2 intermediate pipes, B-Pipe, Muffler & extension.

Now I have the option of:

1. Cat or test pipe
2. Resonator or no resonator
3. Stock muffler or Vibrant straight through.

Complete system is made from mandrel bent T-304 Stainless Steel.

Not sure which I am going to use for everyday and which for the track but I am going to experiment until I am happy. I drove home with the test pipe, resonator and vibrant muffler and its way too loud for my taste so next step is to swap back to the stock muffler. (about 5 min swap, 2 bolts, 3 rubber hangars)

Anyone who orders a B-Pipe gets the option of resonator or no resonator, but if you later decide you want to go the other route you can just buy that intermediate section and replace it as shown below.

I also got a lesson in Stainless Steel detection as well as some insight into its changing properties.

Great folks and great service.

Next step is the HotShot header install as soon as it warm up.

Also for those who are interested, the 2k2 (not sure on the other 5th Gens) exhaust system is 2" not 2 1/4" like the 4th Gen. They also have not improved on the severe crimp behind the resonator.

On the bright side it is all made from T-409 SS, not near as good as T-304 but non the less SS and it is MIG welded from the factory.

Stainless Steel detection with a magnet? Well depending on the grade, a magnet will stick or not stick. The higher the nickel content ie T-304 the less mild steel and a magnet will not stick. However with T-409 it will stick, so even with a magnet you cannot always tell.

Also try this trick. A straight section of T-304 will not attract a magnet, but go to a bend and try it, it will stick. The properties of the SS are changed when the pipe is bent.

Finally I had a very good look at the Y-Pipe assembly station. All components of Budget pipes are made from T-304 Stainless Steel with the exception of the flanges. Anyone who says the y-section is suspect etc is just plain wrong, it is ALL T-304 SS. Budget has never even made an aluminized pipe, they did advertise them as well as T-409 but no one ordered so there was never one made.

Old 03-18-2004, 08:22 PM
no more maxima...

Jime, excellent post. I will be heading down to Budget this spring as well to get a resonated b/y and perhaps a magnaflow muffler put onto my 4th gen. Can't wait to see your times. When do you plan to start hitting St. Thomas? Do you go to Grand Bend...I hear they have better traction over there?
Old 03-18-2004, 11:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

wait, who makes that Y pipe from the last picture? Its not the one pictured on budget's website ...

It caught my attention as both leads from the exhaust manifolds appear to be the same length, limiting if not extinguishing any "bees" sound caused by the two flows of gas not hitting the joint at the same time intervals.

Also, those headers look badass
Old 03-19-2004, 12:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Chickan
wait, who makes that Y pipe from the last picture? Its not the one pictured on budget's website ...

It caught my attention as both leads from the exhaust manifolds appear to be the same length, limiting if not extinguishing any "bees" sound caused by the two flows of gas not hitting the joint at the same time intervals.

Also, those headers look badass
Those are Hotshot headers (ceramic coated) and as I mentioned, would be my next install when it got warm, (probably this weekend) they come as a complete unit (as pictured) and as you pointed out are equal length.

Budget does make a Y for the 2k2, although not yet in production, still retains the precats as do the other 2k2 Y-pipes, only way to get rid of them is with headers. I was planning on going that route but decided that for maximum performance the headers were the way to go.
Old 03-19-2004, 12:40 AM

nice nice, thanks for the response, I'll have to keep that in mind.
Old 03-21-2004, 03:00 PM

I need to go there sometime this summer hopefully and get the b-pipe (res) and maybe a muffler welded on, but most likely not the muffler since i need quiet.

LEMAR
Old 03-21-2004, 06:28 PM

Why is the exhuast so small in diameter?
Old 03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
Banned

I think Nissan figures it creates more torque.