5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has your wheel bearing gone bad?
No drop and I had or currently have a wheel bearing issue
18.02%
No drop and I have had more than one wheel bearing issue
4.50%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had one wheel bearing issue
3.99%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and have no wheel bearing issues
9.91%
Drop on Eibach, H&R, Maxspeed, H-tech and had more than one wheel bearing issue
1.54%
Drop Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had one wheel bearing issue
1.67%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and had more than one wheel bearing issue
0.90%
Drop on Progress, Tein S-tech, Sprint and have no wheel bearing issue
4.89%
No drop. No wheel bearing issues.
54.57%
Voters: 777. You may not vote on this poll

Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2005, 12:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

found part numbers & price for bearing and hub assembly

I found the answer to my question regarding 2002 Maxima bearing info:

Front Wheel Hub Assembly: Part # 402022Y010 $159 at Dealer $121 Online

Front Wheel Bearing: Part # 402102Y000 $73 at Dealer $55 Online

From what I was told, the pieces come separate and require a machine press to assemble.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:39 PM

I didnt feel like reading all the 400 million posts, but to check for a bad bearing, jack up the car, and pull/ush on each wheel side to side and up and down. in general if there is more than .5 inch of movement it is bad.
Old 04-01-2005, 08:18 PM

Just lost both front wheel bearings at nearly same time. I had the drivers side bearings done at Big O Tire due to wheel wobbling so bad, unsafe to drive the 45 miles to the Nissan dealer. I'm going to Nissan dealer to get the passenger side done under warranty (48K miles, 26 months). Should I have any problem getting reimbursed by Nissan USA for the $200 Big O work? Thx.
Old 04-02-2005, 09:32 AM
Bandwagon Lover

Took mine in last week for noise and a weird feeling from the steering wheel. Thought it could be a bearing, but they checked it out and it turned out to be 3 bent rims. Bearings still good after 3 years and 75k miles of being lowered on Eibachs....
Old 04-08-2005, 02:03 PM

DO-IT-YOURSELF wheel bearing replacement

I just completed my first bearing replacement, and here is advice for those who plan to attempt this repair. I had a bad bearing and a warped spindle on my wheel hub so I had to replace both parts. The only new tool I needed was a ball joint removal tool. The one thing I couldn't do was remove the bearing and hub from the steering knuckle and then press the new parts in. For diagrams and instructions, download the 2002 Maxima Factory Service Manual (FSM) in PDF at this web site http://phatg20.net. You can register for free, and donate if you feel wealthy. See section AX pages 5-7 for instructions.

My total costs were: $233
Wheel Hub - $121
Bearing - $55
Ball Joint Removal Tool - $17 (careful: if you use the pickle fork type, it will tear the rubber boots on the joints, look on JC Whitney website for the lever-type tool SKU #ZX812149N)
Labor to machine shop that pressed in new parts - $40

If you only need to replace the bad bearing, it would be $112.
Old 04-08-2005, 02:57 PM

Is the noise or problem ur describing that when u go over a bump at slow speeds or like a curb, that it almost feels like ur steering wheel is loose? im not sure if its a sound or a feeel but if this the problem cuase i do feel something like that and would like to get it fixed if its covered under the powertrain warrenty. let me know thanks
Old 06-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by housecor
It sounds like wheel bearing issues are pretty common judging by the responses in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?t=295640.

For those unfamiliar with wheel bearing issues, it sounds like the wheel is loose even when the lugs and suspension components are tight. You can especially hear this when you pull over a speed bump crooked or out of a driveway. As it gets worse it will sound like the wheel may be wobbling just a bit as you run down the road.

Have you experienced this on your 5th gen?? Vote above.

EDIT> I included the suspension questions in the poll above because I suspect those with a drop experience this issue more since hard impacts which can damage the wheel bearings are likely more common.
I had the woo wooo woo sound and thought it was my wheel bearings but it was wrong. It turned out to be my tires which were at the wear markers. New Avons and the sound is no longer there.
Old 06-20-2005, 09:23 PM
OU > *

I was walking up behind the car the other day and noticed that the left rear tire is sitting at an angle that points the top of the tire in toward the body of the car. Furthermore, I have noticed some unusual wear around the edge of my brand new rotor. I am thinking this might be a bad wheel bearing, but I am not sure.....any help would be appreciated.

Also, I might add that I am getting a very nice "pop" from the front of the car when I use my brakes for the first time after starting the car. Any ideas there would also be nice. Thanks.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:43 PM

Ahhhh, great. Having flash backs. I had an Audi lowered on H&R's that the bearing went on, and now I just lowered my 2001 Maxima and found this thread.

Now I am worried all over again... Ok, not really, but I will be more conscious of the bearing issue.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:41 AM

Is everyone positive that wheel bearings are covered under the 5/60,000 mile warranty... Because i think i am starting to get the wu wu wu sound. It's still kinda a light sound but if it's covered by nissan then i'll take her in.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:58 PM

yes yes yes - just changed front rt bearing to stop a humming noise. Now left side to stop a squeeky squeeky noise. And no mechanic can put a solid finger on it. It sounds like a bad mattress from a motel and toll booth operators cover their ears when I slow down for them. Amazing enuff, it has stopped out of nowhere, but I think of changing it because of the horror stories a little while earlier.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by rule da road
yes yes yes - just changed front rt bearing to stop a humming noise. Now left side to stop a squeeky squeeky noise. And no mechanic can put a solid finger on it. It sounds like a bad mattress from a motel and toll booth operators cover their ears when I slow down for them. Amazing enuff, it has stopped out of nowhere, but I think of changing it because of the horror stories a little while earlier.
Thanks!! Next stop stealership for some free wheel bearings
Old 10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
Newbies Get All The Chicks

I normally dont get any noises, but when my max has been parked for a long time (2 weeks or so) I get a light metal rubbing noise for the first mile or 2 of driving. Is that just rusted rotors?

im at 59K miles, could i go to the dealer and claim to be experiencing a bearing problem so they can check it out for free?
Old 10-25-2005, 07:57 PM

i've had total of 7 wheel bearings gone bad on my car....
Old 10-25-2005, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
Wow, your having some pretty poor luck with those wheel bearings. This thread never seems to die!

I've been lowered on Ground Controls & Koni's for 2 years, and now Ksport coilovers for a 1/2 year without any wheel bearing issues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed though.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:32 PM

what drop are you on?

Originally Posted by K Pazzo 6
Old 10-27-2005, 10:30 AM

I have an appointment Friday morning to have me second and possibly third wheel baring replaced. The first was the right front @ 28K miles. No drop at that time. Now with 72K miles the right front is def destroyed as I am sure the hub will be too and the left front is starting to show the signs, small rythmic vibrations and metal rubbing when making a right turn. When making a left turn it sound and feels like the wheel wants to jump of the car. Fortunately I opted for the Nissan 100K/7yr BumpertoBumper warranty and they havent turned me down for any service yet. They replaced 2 MAF's with no problem. The only thing I am worried about it I am now dropped on Tein H-techs/KYB GR-2's. I am hoping they don't use that as an excuse, I am sure they won't, they thought the PR CAI, FSTB, and RSB were an awesome addition and it was lowered then too. I have had them also replace the rack-and-pinion steering assembly too after lowering it, they warrantied the whole thing. I think I finally found a good service center and have taken the car to them for everything since. Wish me luck.
Old 12-26-2005, 09:36 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Check engine light came on after installing JWT

My 2001 maxima (SE) is showing a check engine light after I installed the JWT Pop Charger. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
Old 12-26-2005, 09:37 PM
SHIFT_om nom nom nom

Originally Posted by Jamaxima
My 2001 maxima (SE) is showing a check engine light after I installed the JWT Pop Charger. Any suggestions on troubleshooting?
Q'uit thread- hijacking, d'ickhead!!!!

READ THE STICKES
Old 12-26-2005, 10:08 PM
Mass_Media™

Originally Posted by Jamaxima
You choose to bump an old thread to ask a question that has nothing to do with it?
Old 12-27-2005, 04:26 AM

no drop no bearing issues (knocks on a wood)
Old 01-08-2006, 10:49 AM

never heard of this

ive been to many websites concerning the maxima and common problems, and this have never been listed as a issue. More people complain about their EGR valve going bad in the fifth generation maximas?
Old 01-25-2006, 04:07 PM

Ok, it's my turn with front wheel bearing problems. My 2k3 has 37k miles and driver's side front wheel has wobble at both the 9-and-3 as well as the 6-and-12 positions. There is no groaning sound but there is the typical judder when braking. I am lowered on H-Tech's, have a FSTB and a Blehmco Stage I lower control arm bar. I am hoping to get warranty coverage under 6/60 power train warranty that states: "Drivetrain - Drive shafts, final drive housing and all internal parts, propeller shafts, universal joints, bearings, seals and gaskets."
Anyone in Tampa are have success getting work done under 6/60 warranty? I see some have had warranty work done in other states. Should I remove the Stage I LCA bar before taking it in tomorrow? I have read many of the posts on how to approach the service tech and how to present arguments...if needed. I appreciate the input.
Old 01-25-2006, 07:16 PM

I had to replace my right front, I called my dealer about it thinking warranty and they said the power train warranty only covered what makes the car go forward like Engine and transmission ( so I guess you're hooped if reverse goes!), but after reading this I'm going back to raise hell! As now three days later my driverside bearing is making noise and I've booked it with my mechanic. Bad weather snow/sanding has a dramatic affect on the bearing life.
Old 01-26-2006, 02:34 PM

Ok, I went to Courtesy Nissan in Tampa and talked with Kris Rantz. His name was given to me by "filter1-Chris" via PM. I explained the problem and told him of my research on Maxima.org regarding many people getting it covered under the 6/60 powertrain. He said, No....bearings are only under 3/36 bumper to bumper. I have 38k miles. I pulled out the warranty book and showed him that it clearly states "bearings" as part of the 6/60. He said, that if it doesn't say "wheel" bearing it will not be covered. He was not trying to be a PITA about it but just that he didn't think Nissan would pay the dealership under warranty work. I reiterated that other .org members have gotten it covered in various states. He was cool about it and I asked to check with Nissan and call me with their reply. He called me 4 hours later and said my car was done. They replace the left front wheel hub and bearing and IT WAS COVERED UNDER THE 6/60 POWERTRAIN WARRANTY! He was surprised. He was also very cool about my mod's....H-Techs, Stage I LCA bar, FSTB and other obvious changes never even mentioning them. I would be happy to scan/copy/fax/email the work order that I have to anyone trying to collect or get bearings replaced under 6/60 powertrain warranty.
Old 01-26-2006, 04:45 PM

Well I called Nissan Canada first and they said no way, not satisfied I went down to my local dealer and asked for the service manager, I told him about my mods which didn't phase him with the print out of this thread in hand, he went into the computer and said if it is indeed the wheel bearing it is covered under the 60mth powertrain warranty . Unfortunately I can't get reimbursed on the passenger side but I can live with that. Because of my work I can't get the car in until next Wednesday, thanks to the ORG though I saved $300!!! more mods!

Old 01-29-2006, 01:47 AM

I have been hearing a wobbling noise from my front left tire. I the front rebalanced today and I still hear it. I had an alignment and balance done about a month ago. I usually hear it about 50-60 mph and I can't feel it. I am wondering if these are syntoms of a bad wheel bearing? If it were the bearing, would my slightly warped rotors cause it to fail?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:06 PM

Hey, when you guys replaced your wheel bearings, did you also have to replace the hub?

Just checked, my wheel bearings are covered under my nissan extended warranty, but the hubs are not (that is if they need replacing).
Old 01-31-2006, 08:43 PM
VQ Wizard

Wow, who's the grave digger?

I think I caused a rear bearing to go bad from using the four-wheel-steering-bar in the parking lot at work.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:38 AM

Doesn't sound like a wheel bearing issue.
You would know it's a wheel bearing as it would drive you crazy as you drive.

The sounds changes with the speed too.
Old 02-01-2006, 07:40 AM

My first post ever! Unfortunately it is due to the dreaded wheel bearing issue. I have all the symptoms: a rythmic groaning at low speed which speeds up as i speed up, when I get to 40-60mph the steering wheel vibrates. The vibration is also more pronounced as I turn left and almost dissappears as I turn right. At first I thought the local mechanic who put in my new brakes didnt torque the wheels right ...but now I'm convinced the bearings are on the outs.
So, the bearings are covered but the hubs arent? thats lame.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:42 PM

They replaced both the bearing and the wheel hub under the power train warranty.
Old 02-04-2006, 03:45 PM
maxS

Originally Posted by Jimmy Gardner
Most wheel bearing issues will result in a clicking sound coming from that particular wheel. I had the same problem that you guys are describing with a 2002 Cavalier and it turned out to be bad strut mounts, this was discovered after only 6 trips back to the Chevy dealer, hince the reason we have the Max, long live Nissan!
clicking sound is your CV, not a WB

Old 02-04-2006, 04:47 PM

If I'm correct, the way to see if you have a bad wheel bearing is, get the car on a lift, get a good grip on the tire with both hands, (you should be facing the wheel) (do this to all tires) and push and pull to see if you have any movement, if so I believe its the wheelbearing. Any corrections please PM me.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by hesham1
I normally dont get any noises, but when my max has been parked for a long time (2 weeks or so) I get a light metal rubbing noise for the first mile or 2 of driving. Is that just rusted rotors?

im at 59K miles, could i go to the dealer and claim to be experiencing a bearing problem so they can check it out for free?
I have the same problem. Every morning I drive to work, I get that same metallic sound from my front left wheel. It goes away after about half hour of driving.

I got my brakes done at midas. They replaced the pads but when I drove the car it made a very loud screeching metallic grinding sound. They just hammered something back in the wheel and now I’m back to the slight grinding sound that eventually goes away with some driving. You can really hear the sound when you’re driving against a wall or parked cars, because of the echo.

Also, when I hit the brakes, it makes a woosshhh sound and it feels like something is grinding against something else.

Every mechanic says its normal.
Old 02-26-2006, 01:08 AM
boner27

have had my car for almost 5 years and ive replaced both front wheel bearings at 400 a pop.

Old 02-26-2006, 05:04 AM

If the wheel bearings are going bad on 5th gens I assume it was a design flaw. The bearings that are going into your cars now, are they much better? Has nissan fixed the flaw?
Old 03-04-2006, 11:00 PM

update:
I just had nissan replace my right wheel bearing and hub under warranty. Turns out when making full turns on the steering wheel, you can hear the grinding. $400 to replace and security plus covered all of it minus $50 deductable.

me: 1
warranty: 0

PS, my car feels a more tight now...just like it did new. I didn't realize how loose it was until the wheel bearing was replaced. I didn't feel any wobbling, etc while driving.
Old 03-04-2006, 11:35 PM
Play with my balls

I have not read one answer to this question, but then again I haven't seen it asked yet either.

Is this covered if your car is lowered? One stealership said that my drop voids any warranty regarding suspension issues. What's the experiences here?
Old 03-05-2006, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Deckdout2
I have not read one answer to this question, but then again I haven't seen it asked yet either.

Is this covered if your car is lowered? One stealership said that my drop voids any warranty regarding suspension issues. What's the experiences here?
legally they can only void the warranty IF they can prove the mods caused the failure in question

Quick Reply: Common 5th gen. Max problem? - Has this happened to you?