5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Budget B-pipe installed, now rattling noise?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2004, 08:15 PM
Banned

Budget B-pipe installed, now rattling noise?

edit: I moved this post from the general forum

I had my Budget B-pipe installed yesterday, and after a half hour or so, I noticed a hefty rattling sound. It would start during idle and initial accerleration coming from either under the car where it could be the B-pipe itself, or in the rear where I'm thinking my HKS muffler tips are hitting the rear bumper from possible vibration??

Anyone experience this rattling sound before, or know what I should look for? The B-pipe is with a resonator, but I don't know if that causes vibration and rattling? I've also bottomed-out twice when pulling into my driveway, and the crunch sounds like the pipe is hitting the ground. Is this normal?
Old 03-21-2004, 08:27 PM

Sorry for the OT but I don't know what's causing that noise. However, I am really close to buying the B-pipe from Budget. I was wondering how you like it in terms of power and installation (does it have a O2 sensor hole near the cat?).

Thanks.
Old 03-21-2004, 08:43 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Komax
Sorry for the OT but I don't know what's causing that noise. However, I am really close to buying the B-pipe from Budget. I was wondering how you like it in terms of power and installation (does it have a O2 sensor hole near the cat?).

Thanks.
Well, in terms of installation, that's off my hands since I had it installed and am not sure if it has an o2 sensor near the cat, but I would venture to say no. Anyone correct me if I'm wrong?

As for power, it does feel a bit more responsive and livelier than the stock b-pipe, especially with my HKS rear section. But that could be due to the crushed bends of the stock.
Old 03-21-2004, 11:55 PM
Banned

Sounds like an install problem.

Its pretty easy to see if its hanging down low just look under the car. It shouldn't be any lower than the stock one if it was installed properly.

If you want to see where its hitting, try just moving the pipe back and forth by moving the muffler tip sideways and up and down, that will usually produce any noise you are getting when you hit a bump. The pipe is much larger than stock so it must be installed exactly in the centre to prevent it hitting anywhere.
Old 03-22-2004, 03:34 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey,
When I installed my Frankencar B last week I also got a rattling. My rattling was where the rear section piping goes over the rear beam at the highest point on the rear sections pipe. Like someone said, if you can get it up on a lift or even a jack, and grab hold of the muffler tip and shake it around. I used hose clamps to adjust the exhaust hangers by slipping the hose clamp over the rubber hanger and tightening the clamp to compress the hanger raising the exhaust and you can also somewhat adjust side to side too. I hope I explained this well enough.... Anyways this worked for me.

Komax, installation of the B pipe is fairly simple. There shouldnt be any o2 sensors in the B pipe unless u are a fed spec 2000.

-Steve
Old 03-22-2004, 04:55 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have the budget b-pipe and yes I had horrible knocking and rattling. The flange right after the resonator was hitting up under the car. It would rattle more and more the long I drove. You could take your car back to the muffler shot and they could weld some more hangers on holding your pipe down better. I had that done, but when I got the cattman y-pipe I went to a really nice shop which fabricated the budget b-pipe so it fit perfectly. There have been many many people that have had fitment issues with budget and warpspeed parts.
Old 03-22-2004, 07:22 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

I'm sending my Budget B-pipe back because of fitment problems. Mine was one with the resonator also. My problems included:

1) The B-pipe hung too low by the trailing arm. Overall, it sat about 1.5" lower the trailing arm. There was no way around fitting it any other way. If I adjusted the pipe to match the trailing arm, then the pipe would rest right on the gas tank.

2) The B-pipe ran too close behind the gas tank (~.25")

3) The B-pipe flange wouldn't seal to the OEM muffler flange. Regardless of what I tried, I'd still get an exhaust leak.

I've installed 3 B-pipes now and this was by far the worst fitting one. I think I just got a fluke though. The pipe quality looks great, but the measurements were off with mine. Budget has been very responsive to me and they're picking up the pipe and refunding all my money. They were actually very surprised that I had problems because they haven't received one complaint. I told them that most people had fitment issues with their pipes, but went ahead and had a muffler shop make it fit. I told them I didn't want to have to pay extra to make a part fit that was suppose to fit from the start. They agreed. I gave them measurements compared to the stock B-pipe. Hopefully they can rework these pipes to make them work in the future.

Dave