5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Whats up with Nissan trannies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2004, 05:05 PM

Whats up with Nissan trannies?

Lately it seems like every other thread is about a 5th gen tranny going bad, particularly a 2k2. This really worries me seeing as I'm a broke college student and I just hit 28k so not sure if its still covered under warranty? Nothing is wrong right now but I'm just afraid now every time I drive the car that the tranny will go etc. The people that had trannies go bad, did you beat on them, do burnouts etc or regular take it easy style driving with the occasional go fast etc? I don't slam the car into gear etc. but do usually take off fast from a light etc, but usually wait for the car to shift into second before I give it some extra power...Just wondering why all of a sudden so many stories everywhere about the trannies etc.
Old 03-25-2004, 05:47 PM

Mine's fine. I'm not worried.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by maximaracer28
Lately it seems like every other thread is about a 5th gen tranny going bad, particularly a 2k2. This really worries me seeing as I'm a broke college student and I just hit 28k so not sure if its still covered under warranty? Nothing is wrong right now but I'm just afraid now every time I drive the car that the tranny will go etc. The people that had trannies go bad, did you beat on them, do burnouts etc or regular take it easy style driving with the occasional go fast etc? I don't slam the car into gear etc. but do usually take off fast from a light etc, but usually wait for the car to shift into second before I give it some extra power...Just wondering why all of a sudden so many stories everywhere about the trannies etc.
Your tranny is covered for 5 years/60k miles under the powertrain warranty. I have a 2K2 and I believe that my tranny will be fine for years to come. I don't know how many people race or do mods and end up with tranny problems versus people that don't. I found out today that the tranny in the 350Z cannot be serviced by the DIY. It uses a special fluid and has to be serviced by a Nissan dealer.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/7things.html
Old 03-25-2004, 09:32 PM
drag racing is for wussies

Trannies are just fine for normal driving people. Normal driving TL and CL Acura people blow trannies left n right.... dont ask me how I know just look in the sig line pic
Old 03-25-2004, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by charliekilo3
Your tranny is covered for 5 years/60k miles under the powertrain warranty. I have a 2K2 and I believe that my tranny will be fine for years to come. I don't know how many people race or do mods and end up with tranny problems versus people that don't. I found out today that the tranny in the 350Z cannot be serviced by the DIY. It uses a special fluid and has to be serviced by a Nissan dealer.
http://www.courtesyparts.com/350z/7things.html
Yeah, as ^^ mentioned, you shouldn't sweat it much. You are well within the 5yr/60K powertrain warranty.

To answer your question.

1) Yes I beat on the car.
2) Yes, I did burnouts.
3) Yes, I took car to the track, and went WOT to 100mph, 4-5 times everytime I went to track.
4) Yes, I enjoyed every minutes of it.
5) Yes, Nissan paid every penny of the $3600+ for warranty work
6) Yes, Nissan AT suck ****

If the tranny is gonna go, and you feel it acting up, you should either 1)bring it to dealers attention, and they will scratch their heads as to what you want, or 2) beat the hell out of it until the tranny taps out.
Old 03-25-2004, 09:45 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ferbs I can't believe your Berk is still in the box!!
Old 03-25-2004, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by 03maximan
Ferbs I can't believe your Berk is still in the box!!
Yeah, I know. Its not even about ease/difficulty of install...

Im sort of wussing out. I've read the stories of the MAF, and know some dude can't even start his car because of some problem with the berk.

I will have to flip the coin as to keep/sell. It is the K and N berk intake.

Im going to a track meet in three weeks with a bunch of other Maxima guys, and would LOVE to have the berk intake/cattman ypipe combo running smoothly...Ah decisions, decisions...

Fernando
Old 03-25-2004, 10:03 PM

No way man put that thing on!
If you go to the track without it you'll regret it.
I've got about 2K miles with it on and 100% satisfied. Wish I had the Y but the Berk alone is fun to drive.
Old 03-25-2004, 10:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I just got me a new tranny last week, 6spd is not bullet proof but damn only 28k miles??
Old 03-25-2004, 10:09 PM

Originally Posted by 03maximan
No way man put that thing on!
If you go to the track without it you'll regret it.
I've got about 2K miles with it on and 100% satisfied. Wish I had the Y but the Berk alone is fun to drive.
OK. You convinced me.

I will put it on, and hope for the best.

By the way, funny story: last weekend, I went to the NICO meet in Lexington, KY. I got separated from the Max crew that went to Mountain Park Dragway in Clay City, KY.

I came back to the dyno shop where the 2nd group of guys were leaving to the track. I follow them, well, they get lost TOO.

We had driven about 20 miles out of the way, and I drew the line when I saw a sign that said Cinci xxx miles. What!? I pulled up even to the event planner who was in his 350Z, and we rolled down the windows, Im like, "dude, we are WAY out the way".

We headed back. At least we got to see the nice scenic route, huh?

Ripping up and down the backroads of KY was sort of fun though. Some nice long straights...
Old 03-25-2004, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by Ferbs02SMMax
OK. You convinced me.

I will put it on, and hope for the best.

By the way, funny story: last weekend, I went to the NICO meet in Lexington, KY. I got separated from the Max crew that went to Mountain Park Dragway in Clay City, KY.

I came back to the dyno shop where the 2nd group of guys were leaving to the track. I follow them, well, they get lost TOO.

We had driven about 20 miles out of the way, and I drew the line when I saw a sign that said Cinci xxx miles. What!? I pulled up even to the event planner who was in his 350Z, and we rolled down the windows, Im like, "dude, we are WAY out the way".

We headed back. At least we got to see the nice scenic route, huh?

Ripping up and down the backroads of KY was sort of fun though. Some nice long straights...
...............LOL
Yeah Lexington is only about 100 miles south of here so you ere pretty close.
And yes some of those KY roads are nice , even MT and Automobile mags talk of trips through KY and Tenn.
But please don't hold me responsible if for some act of God something
happens with the Berk installed!!!
Old 03-25-2004, 10:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

65k on my 6spd....beat on it every once inna while. still good =) redline fluid too.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:40 AM

im not too worried about the tranny unless i rag on it, then its my own fault if it goes
Old 03-26-2004, 03:17 PM
I Miss My Maxima

Originally Posted by BlackBIRDVQ
Trannies are just fine for normal driving people. Normal driving TL and CL Acura people blow trannies left n right.... dont ask me how I know just look in the sig line pic
My dad's a 2k 3.2TL owner. He got a letter in the mail a few months ago telling him there was a recall on the auto trannies in those cars. Literally 2 DAYS LATER he was driving down I-20 at 75 MPH and the trans LOCKED UP solid. I had to drive out to a freaking gas station at 11 PM to pick up him and my mom.

At least Acura got the new trans in within 2 days of getting the car.

He wants to trade it in on a new TL or a A6 Quattro, or a GS300. I had him look at the G35's but my mom wants wood interior, which you cant get in a G35, and she thinks the interior is "cheesy" and "cheap" vs the Lexus and TL's.
Old 03-26-2004, 03:34 PM

I didn't do any performance mods, or any engine/tranny/whatever mods, and my tranny blew last weekend. I have 21k miles, and now I'm waiting for Nissan to ship the new transmission

The 04 Acura TLs are tight. I'm looking to trade up for one...
Old 03-26-2004, 04:48 PM
I Miss My Maxima

04 TL A-spec.. factory warranty..lowered, 18" rims, 6 speed, brembos...

possibly the only car i'd trade my max on. and only because it has a lot nicer interior IMO and new features like DVD audio and integrated bluetooth.

but anyway. my max is still awesome. as long as my transmission doesn't blow up. 45k miles, hard 1-2 shift in AM but still ok.
Old 03-26-2004, 04:54 PM

and voice activated navi, and a more full and comfortable interior... the test drive blew me away

I still love my max... but I've had a lot of problems with it lately, and the transmission was like the 5th strike and it's out, I think
Old 03-26-2004, 05:01 PM
Faster than a speeding bullet...

Hmmm. I have over 87K miles on my '01 and the transmission is just fine. I drive it back and forth to work every day which is about 90 miles per workday. In the mornings, I get to work early so I can enjoy brisk driving, and in the evenings, I tend to get stop-and-go or slow traffic. Weekends I do more city driving, and I do tend to speed from point to point.

As the car ages, I get more worried about my transmission, so I've been doing the drain-and-refill method very often, almost every 3rd or 4th oil change. I know that's overkill, but a carton of ATF every now and then isn't going to break my bank any time soon, so I'm cool with it. And doing it this way, my transmission has never shifted so smooth for so long.

Peace.
Old 03-26-2004, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by drsprite
I didn't do any performance mods, or any engine/tranny/whatever mods, and my tranny blew last weekend. I have 21k miles, and now I'm waiting for Nissan to ship the new transmission

The 04 Acura TLs are tight. I'm looking to trade up for one...
Is it a 6sp or automatic?
Old 03-26-2004, 07:28 PM

automagic :/