5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ATF drain and Refill

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 04:04 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ATF drain and Refill

Hi all members, my 2k max is due for ATF drain and refill. I've read through the

how-to flush ATF, but I don't seem to understand it without pics. Does anyone

have any links to ATF drain and refill procedure with pics? What tools are

required to refill the new ATF fluid (eg: tubing or siphon??). Appreciate all your

help...thanx
Old 03-29-2004, 04:53 AM

The first link is the how-to and the second has all kinds of pics of a tranny cooler install which shows both lines.

You don't need any tools other than to take out the sump plug and remove the line from the transmission and a clean 1 gal jug.

Refilling is done through the dipstick hole so you need an appropriate funnel or tube to fit your ATF container.

https://maxima.org/forums/4th-generation-maxima-1995-1999/33563-car-died-4.html

https://maxima.org/forums/showthread.php?t=33563&page=4
Old 03-29-2004, 04:54 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by wcasskicker
Hi all members, my 2k max is due for ATF drain and refill. I've read through the

how-to flush ATF, but I don't seem to understand it without pics. Does anyone

have any links to ATF drain and refill procedure with pics? What tools are

required to refill the new ATF fluid (eg: tubing or siphon??). Appreciate all your

help...thanx
It's very easy, don't be affraid to get under there. It's as easy as an oil change.

Just undo the drain bolt, and refill with fluid through the ATF dipstick hole with a funnel. You might want to pickup a drain bolt gasket from the dealer. They're about a $1. I've had better results with using Mobil 1 synthetic ATF over the OEM Nissan Matic-D fluid. They cost the same.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:54 PM

The only problem with drain and fill is not all the old fluid comes out and then you re mixing nice clean fluid with the left over. Take it to the dealer they have a machine that gets all the old out and replaces it with new. I'm all for the DIY but there are certain things to let the pros do.
Old 03-29-2004, 06:56 PM

Thanx....appreciate u guys help....
Old 03-29-2004, 07:28 PM

A mechanic recommanded me to do the drain and refill first. He said Trans is very sensitive machine. Let trans accustom to the new fluid it a couple month, then do another drain and refill. after 6 month, Trans are used to the clean fresh fluid, then flush all the old one out.

What does everyone think?
Old 03-29-2004, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mom's2kGLE
The only problem with drain and fill is not all the old fluid comes out and then you re mixing nice clean fluid with the left over. Take it to the dealer they have a machine that gets all the old out and replaces it with new. I'm all for the DIY but there are certain things to let the pros do.
With a drain and fill that is correct.

However if you read the how-to I posted you will see that this is not a drain and fill. It is a flush, you are not mixing nice clean fluid with any left over and when pumping out the old you can actually see the change when the new fluid starts to come out.

This can be done very easily and efficiently without going to a pro and wasting your money.

PS The standard dealer method is just a drain and fill and is the recommended way in the Factory Service Manual. Just going to a dealer does not ensure you are getting the best service.
Old 03-29-2004, 11:14 PM

The dealer will sometimes try to sell you some other services like this hi temp detergent fluid change for around $100. For something as simple as a tranny drain and refill I don't see why you shouldn't do it yourself and save $50.
Old 03-30-2004, 02:08 AM

THanx Jime, your write-up is very helpful. I'll do it today and see how it goes.
Old 03-30-2004, 03:07 AM

Just a question about the type of fluid you put into your car. I heard that the Nissan Tranny Fluid has special chemicals that was made for Nissan vehicles. By changing the fluid, this will void the warranty. Anyone have opinions?
Old 03-30-2004, 10:26 AM

False. Just use approved fluid and you are fine.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:21 AM

I've done my ATF flush today, the DIY is easy. I've got 9 quarts out of the transmission. Very pleased with the result. The DIY How-to with pics will be posted on my cardomain site in a couple weeks, want to help everyone save some bucks.
Old 03-31-2004, 02:26 AM

Also Thanx Jime, your write-up is very detail. There is one small difference within ur writeup, the Trans fluid did not come out slowly through the fuel line, it came out so quick and the funnel couldn't take the dirty ATF at that speed, and spilled all over on the ground. It took me 1 hour to clean the grease off. I still love the mess, coz i learned something. Thanx Jime
Old 03-31-2004, 02:50 AM

Also Thanx Jime, your write-up is very detail. There is one small difference within ur writeup, the Trans fluid did not come out slowly through the fuel line, it came out so quick and the funnel couldn't take the dirty ATF at that speed, and spilled all over on the ground. It took me 1 hour to clean the grease off. I still love the mess, coz i learned something. Thanx Jime

Did you wind up using synthetic? Can you feel a difference?
Old 03-31-2004, 03:06 AM

Originally Posted by steelymatt
Did you wind up using synthetic? Can you feel a difference?
I only did a 2 min test drive, can't really tell the difference. I use Redline Synthetic ATF, quite expensive stuff.
Old 03-31-2004, 04:23 AM

I didn't say to use a funnel, just stick the hose directly into the top of the plastic container. Guess I should have been more specific.

BTW I just did mine last nite on the 2k2 and did a cooler install at the same time.