5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Odometer still counts miles if front wheels up during towing?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2004, 03:58 PM

Odometer still counts miles if front wheels up during towing?

Just wondering, but does my 2002 Maxima have odometer sensor thingies on both front and rear wheels?

I was just weighing options for moving my car back to Cali(from Pittsburgh) when I graduate from dental school in a year.

I have to get a 17 ft Uhaul anyways, so I thought...why not tow the car behind me?
It would only cost $150 to hike the front end up on a tow dolly, $370 to put all 4 wheels on a platform dolly, and $900 to have the car shipped via semi-truck delivery service.

Anyhoo...
If the front tires are off the ground, will the rear tires still cause the odometer to register 3000 miles on this trip across the country?(that would suck if it did. )

Thanks for any input you might have!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:12 PM

No the milleage counter is in the transmission itself...with miles will only count up if the car is on and in motion..not by towing...
Old 03-29-2004, 04:20 PM

So the rear tires can roll all they want, and the mileage counter will not move at all as long as the front wheels are not moving?
Old 03-29-2004, 04:20 PM

I agree with Tim01MaxSE. That's where the odometer is reisgtered if the tranny is running and in motion.
Old 03-29-2004, 04:21 PM

Oh also, I would recomend to be all four wheels off the ground. If you think about the tread wear will be uneven, depending which side you're towing it from. If the tires are due for a replacement, then I wouldn't bother with the four wheel dolly.
Old 03-29-2004, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
Oh also, I would recomend to be all four wheels off the ground. If you think about the tread wear will be uneven, depending which side you're towing it from. If the tires are due for a replacement, then I wouldn't bother with the four wheel dolly.
Best bet would be for someone else to drive the car. I did it with a 4 wheel dolly and worked well but used a lot of gas in the uhaul.

Uhaul will match other shippers so call and have them match with ryder, etc. Mine did it for the truck (because no one else had car dollies) and saved me a few hundred dollars, thats like moving your car for free!
Old 03-29-2004, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by FanaticMadMax
The tread will not wear unevenly. If you get a towdolly it has a swivel that compensates for angles. But I do agree with FanaticMadMax that you would be better of with all four wheels on a dolly. Just remember to cover the front of the car or you will have lots and lots of paint chips in the high quality diamond tested tough Nissan paint (what a crock of ****)
Old 03-29-2004, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by mille_3
Just remember to cover the front of the car or you will have lots and lots of paint chips in the high quality diamond tested tough Nissan paint (what a crock of ****)
I never had a problem with the paint, but that's funny, "diamond tested" i wonder what they meant by that.