5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Replacing Grill on '01 SE AE

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2001, 04:07 PM

Ok...The grill sucks on my new car. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a mid-size Buick or something.

Have any of you have done anything to make this look better? I am desperate for recommendations.

Also, I am disgruntled with the appearance of the stock muffler. I would be giddy beyond compare if someone has an afffordable solution to make this look droopy thing look better!

Looking forward to your comments on what you've done to your cars and to read your recommendations. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2001, 04:14 PM
Adam01GXE

I'm in the process of making a a grill out of 18 gauge perforated steel that is powder coated black. Once I figure out how to mount it, I'll post instructions/pics.

Old 03-19-2001, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by wolfmax
Ok...The grill sucks on my new car. The more I look at it, the more it looks like a mid-size Buick or something.

Have any of you have done anything to make this look better? I am desperate for recommendations.

Also, I am disgruntled with the appearance of the stock muffler. I would be giddy beyond compare if someone has an afffordable solution to make this look droopy thing look better!

Looking forward to your comments on what you've done to your cars and to read your recommendations. Thanks!
Regarding your muffler.......... I have a 2000 Maxima SE. I recently replaced the stock muffler with a 20 inch Magnaflow Muffler with a Sebring Tuning 4.5 inch oval tip. It not only looks better, but it sounds better too. It gives a deep growl under acceleration. The muffler is not overly loud but it is more noticeable than before. Good Luck.........I forgot to mention......the total cost of the new muffler, tip and labor was a little over $200
Old 03-19-2001, 06:55 PM

thanx!

Originally posted by Dave Lopez
Regarding your muffler.......... I have a 2000 Maxima SE. I recently replaced the stock muffler with a 20 inch Magnaflow Muffler with a Sebring Tuning 4.5 inch oval tip. It not only looks better, but it sounds better too. It gives a deep growl under acceleration. The muffler is not overly loud but it is more noticeable than before. Good Luck.........I forgot to mention......the total cost of the new muffler, tip and labor was a little over $200
Sweet. I think I'll look into the muffler. How does it sound at idle and low RPMs. I don't want a drastic difference in sound, but would love a more subtle, low pitched rumble at higher RPMs. Did you consider other mufflers? Why did this one win out? Any other noticeable effects with the new muffler?
Old 03-19-2001, 06:57 PM

Grill

Originally posted by Adam01GXE
I'm in the process of making a a grill out of 18 gauge perforated steel that is powder coated black. Once I figure out how to mount it, I'll post instructions/pics.
Doing it yourself! I've got to respect that. I'm excited to find out how it turns out.

The stock grill is very poor, so I bet yours will be killa! Thanks and please keep us posted!
Old 03-19-2001, 06:59 PM

I think somebody found out you can not just take the grill out. It is a one-piece design integrated into the entire front bumper. I could be wrong, though.
Old 03-19-2001, 07:22 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I think somebody found out you can not just take the grill out. It is a one-piece design integrated into the entire front bumper. I could be wrong, though.
im not sure if anyone else on here has done it, but i painted my grill body color. i have a white max and it makes a world of difference. looks much better. it makes it look more sporty. i get a lot of compliments on it. and yes the bumper and grill are all one piece. it worked out though because while i did the grill i just filled those 2 annoying liscence plate holes the dealer drilled into my bumper. so thats my suggestion.
Old 03-20-2001, 05:00 PM

Re: thanx!

Originally posted by wolfmax

Sweet. I think I'll look into the muffler. How does it sound at idle and low RPMs. I don't want a drastic difference in sound, but would love a more subtle, low pitched rumble at higher RPMs. Did you consider other mufflers? Why did this one win out? Any other noticeable effects with the new muffler?
I considered the Stillen rear section. The price turned me off. Its $550!!!!!!!!!!!! I did not want to spend that much. Y2KSE turned me on to Mikes Muffler Shop in El Monte CA. Its in the LA area. After talking to Mike and telling him what I wanted, he recommended the Magnaflow muffler. The exhaust note has a deep growl to it under 4000 RPMs. After that its hard to hear because of the sweet engine noise. For $200 its a good deal.
Old 03-21-2001, 12:11 AM

Re: Re: thanx!

maxman2k-

you have pictures? I wanna see your grill. As I have a white max too. How much was it to paint it?
Old 03-21-2001, 07:50 AM

Re: Re: Re: thanx!

Originally posted by starstreak
maxman2k-

you have pictures? I wanna see your grill. As I have a white max too. How much was it to paint it?
unfortunately i dont have pics, but i am in the process of working on them. however i can assure you that it really does look good. in regards to price, i cant give you an accurate price because my bro-in-law did it for me and all he charged me for was the paint, and no labor so i only paid like $30, so itll be more if you dont have connections
Old 03-21-2001, 07:55 AM

Color

Maxman - is your color Icelandic Pearl? If so, where did you get the paint to match? I've got a painter connection, but he wants me to get the paint myself. Thanks.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:04 AM

Re: Color

Originally posted by thorizeen
Maxman - is your color Icelandic Pearl? If so, where did you get the paint to match? I've got a painter connection, but he wants me to get the paint myself. Thanks.
he mixed the paint himself at his shop. pearl is a hard color to match perfectly however he has really nice equipment so he did it. however i believe you could probably order some paint to match from your dealer.
Old 03-21-2001, 09:58 AM
thiklava

hey wolfmax, thought you have an AE. Consider a muffler which will still give you the 5HP that the AE (actually Infiniti I30) muffler does !
wouldn't want to lose the 5 horses just for better looks and sound..............