5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

i learned an important, VALUABLE lesson about auto maintenance today ~

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2004, 02:32 PM

i learned an important, VALUABLE lesson about auto maintenance today ~

as a few may remember, i had a problem with a mystery noise under my hood last week. basically on cold starts the car would almost grind, and putting it into park or turning the wheels would result in it being much louder. it went away as the car warmed up but, very distressing.

after a couple different shops look at it, with little help, i decide to have the alternator + power steering pump belts replaced. the cars at 62k so its just scheduled maintenance anyway, i figure. and it sounds almost exactly like a belt slipping. the belts are replaced but the noise is STILL THERE.

then i decide to have the power steering fluid flushed and replaced. i take a look at the reservoir and its almost BONE DRY. like a half a centimeter of fluid in there. i hop over to Advance and fill that sum***** up. NOISE ELIMINATED COMPLETELY.

keep in mind i had about half a dozen mechanics check out the car and look for the cause, but apparently no one - including me - thought to check the most basic possible cause which was lack of fluid. my buddy had mentioned the steering pump looked brand new, so when they replaced it for previous owner they must have neglected to refill the fluid as well. so after about 100 bux (for belt work) and many MANY hours of driving around town to different shops, the original problem was finally fixed with a 2 dollar bottle of power steering fluid and 30 seconds of work.

the lesson i learned is that a) im an idiot, and b) sometimes the solution to a car problem is literally right under your nose, so always take a good look around

(i would feel bad about spending the money on the belts but the alternator belt was shredded pretty bad so im glad i did it before a more serious problem developed)
Old 04-04-2004, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by Supreme Allah
as a few may remember, i had a problem with a mystery noise under my hood last week. basically on cold starts the car would almost grind, and putting it into park or turning the wheels would result in it being much louder. it went away as the car warmed up but, very distressing.

after a couple different shops look at it, with little help, i decide to have the alternator + power steering pump belts replaced. the cars at 62k so its just scheduled maintenance anyway, i figure. and it sounds almost exactly like a belt slipping. the belts are replaced but the noise is STILL THERE.

then i decide to have the power steering fluid flushed and replaced. i take a look at the reservoir and its almost BONE DRY. like a half a centimeter of fluid in there. i hop over to Advance and fill that sum***** up. NOISE ELIMINATED COMPLETELY.

keep in mind i had about half a dozen mechanics check out the car and look for the cause, but apparently no one - including me - thought to check the most basic possible cause which was lack of fluid. my buddy had mentioned the steering pump looked brand new, so when they replaced it for previous owner they must have neglected to refill the fluid as well. so after about 100 bux (for belt work) and many MANY hours of driving around town to different shops, the original problem was finally fixed with a 2 dollar bottle of power steering fluid and 30 seconds of work.

the lesson i learned is that a) im an idiot, and b) sometimes the solution to a car problem is literally right under your nose, so always take a good look around

(i would feel bad about spending the money on the belts but the alternator belt was shredded pretty bad so im glad i did it before a more serious problem developed)

Don't be too hard on yourself you just learned a valuable lesson. The best way to trouble shoot a problem is to attack it logically. if you thought it was the alt or the power steering pump or pullys the first thing i would have done is pull the belt off and start the car. If the noise was gone you have just narrowed down the items that could be causing the problem. if the noise was still then look elseware. Just take your time and think it out.